Erik's Story - (Losing my mind over sudden hair loss)

G

Hi Everyone,

I'm really glad to be here. I've been dealing with this hair loss for 2 or 3 years, and most people I've mentioned it to don't seem to care.

My hair fell out suddenly one night after a very stressful event, and I woke up the next day to see that two quarter sized patches of hair at the widow's peaks had totally fallen out, and that in addition to sudden general thinning, there were also dozens and dozens of pea sized spots all over the crown of my head where the hair had just fallen out.

I was totally traumatized, and basically had a nervous breakdown over it. I had just been through a number of family tragedies, and to then to have my hair suddenly fall out, literally overnight, shook me to my very foundation.

First I got very angry, and determined to regrow it, but as time passed, and the realization set in that my hair was not growing back quickly (and might never), I got very depressed, and eventually suicidal.

Determined to go down fighting, I went and read every book at the library I could about hair loss, hoping to find a cure. I finally settled on taking Saw Palmetto extract, combined with a product called HairX by Solaray. Within a month, I began to see a few new hairs sprout up.

But the depression and turmoil over this situation made me very unstable, and I lost my apartment. From there I bounced around to my mothers house, to a boarding house, and finally to another apartment... the whole time staring into the mirror hundreds of times a day, despondent over what had happened, and searching in vain for any new signs of regrowth.

As a result of this, my ability to face people or go out in public has been rendered almost non-existent, and I began to isolate myself from the world.

As hopelessness set in, I fell into a very deep depression. I began to sleep 16 hours a day, and did that for a year or so. I've been battling this depression and oversleeping phenomenon since, only coming out of it recently when I realized I was headed for suicide or a mental hospital.

People who have not been through this kind of assault on their self-image cannot possibly understand the devastation wrought by hair loss. Hair is viewed by people as one of the primary sexual attractors, and having my hair start falling out has been, for me, almost my complete ruin.

That's why I'm very glad to be here, around other men who can understand this bullshit we have to go through when one of your own body parts just suddenly starts falling out.

To all the people I've met in real life who have dismissed or belittled my concern over my hair loss, and tried to tell me that it's "normal", and that "lots of men lose their hair", my response is:

"Well, if you woke up one day, and your fingernails and toenails had suddenly fallen out, do you think you would be concerned or alarmed?"

That is how I look at it... hair is a part of my body, and when a part of my body just falls off, something is radically wrong, and I am determined to figure out what it is, and how to fix it.

That's all I can really say for now. I'm sure many others here can sympathize with the amount of confusion, pain and self-doubt that premature hair loss can cause, so I'm really glad to have found a place where we can discuss these things without being belittled, dismissed or mocked.

It's good to be here with you all.

Erik D.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Erik's Story: Losing My Mind Over Sudden Hair Loss

Well it's part of aging, and to keep your hair, you might want to consider the proven treatments.

G

Hey Eric,

welcome to the forum. You have my sympathy, other people who aren´t losing their hair will never understand us baldies. This is particularly true for women. Hairloss has hit me like a bomb as well even though it didn´t start over night. I was in denial for like 18 months.
But I am a little bit confused about your situation. Have you been to a doctor who confirmed that you are suffering from male pattern baldness? To me it sounds as you might have experienced Telogen Effluvium, Hairloss which can be cured and let your hair grow back. You should definetly see a doctor!

G

Thanks RaginDemon and Taugenichts for the welcome and feedback.

I'm currently working on herbal approaches, but at some point, if they don't work, I may consider pharmaceutical approaches.

Taugenichts, in regard to your suggestion, I did see a hair transplant doctor, and he sent me to a dermatologist, because he thought it might have been alopecia areata on top of male pattern baldness.

However, the dermatologist I saw said that it wasn't, though he seemed a little hasty, so I've considered getting a second opinion. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with doctors at this point.

You mentioned Telogen Effluvium. I saw one post about it but I'm not very familiar with that condition.

What exactly is it, and how can it be cured as you mention?

Thanks again for the welcome, and for any feedback you can provide.

Sincerely,
Erik D.

G

Ok, I'll check it out tomorrow when I have more energy.

And I'll try to get a cheap digital camera and post some pictures.

Thanks.

G

RaginDemon said:
Well it's part of aging, and to keep your hair, you might want to consider the proven treatments.

RaginDemon,

I'm reluctant to rely on anything I'd have to take or use for the rest of my life.

I've read that if you use Rogaine, you'll have to use it forever, or the hair will just fall out.

I'm trying to avoid that kind of situation.

You mentioned that it's part of aging, but I see people older than me all the time who have all their hair, so aging alone can't be the full explanation.

My belief is, that there's got to be a reason, and a permanent cure, for this illness.

Isn't there?

I mean, why on earth would a persons body parts just start falling off? It makes no sense.

G

Manutd4545 said:
As the rogain motto says:

"use it or lose it"- Unfortunately it is true

As for a permanent cure only time will tell. Correct me if I am wrong but finding cures for cancers and other life threatening cures are probably higher on the agenda. Remember that all the proven hairloss treatments- finasteride and minoxidil were all found by accident.

That's what blows my mind. Our scientists can put a man on the moon, but they can't figure out how to regrow hair?

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score

how bad is your hair now?

there is no cure to hairloss. so I guess the best way to combat this thing is through treatment which require a lifetime commitment if you want to maintain your hair.

and welcome on board dude...

G

k3nn7i said:
how bad is your hair now?

To me it's horrible, but relatively speaking, it's probably about average.

there is no cure to hairloss.

I don't believe that. Whether that makes me crazy or stubborn, I'm not quite sure.

I have to believe that every illness has a cure. My opinion is that scientists and doctors who don't know how to cure something pronounce it "incurable", because it excuses their inability to find a cure, and allows them to preserve their image as all-knowing demigods.

They egocentrically assume that beause they can't find the cure, no cure could possibly exist. It's just circular logic.

so I guess the best way to combat this thing is through treatment which require a lifetime commitment if you want to maintain your hair.

That's what they tell us, but I don't believe it. I don't want to.

and welcome on board dude...

Thanks for the welcome bro. It's good to be around my fellow follicularly deprived brethren. :)

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score

lol...well, you be the inventor for curing hair loss...haha. :innocent:
I mean currently, there is no cure to it. hopefully, scientists will come up with one, one day.

if there is cure dude, those who have money won't be bald.

anyway, all the best to what you do for your hair... :)

G

k3nn7i said:
lol...well, you be the inventor for curing hair loss...haha. :innocent:
I mean currently, there is no cure to it. hopefully, scientists will come up with one, one day.

Check this thread out:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42273&start=30

if there is cure dude, those who have money won't be bald.

Knowledge cannot be bought... it has to be generated.

For example, the richest man in the world during ancient times could not have bought an airplane, no matter how badly he may have wanted one.

anyway, all the best to what you do for your hair... :)

Thanks dude. :)

G

"To shave or not shave, that is the question."

I'm so sick of obsessing about my thin stringy hair, and how to style it, that I'm ready to just shave it all off with clippers and go back to the simplicity of a smooth dome.

Maybe those buddhist monks knew what they were doing when it came to peace of mind.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Erik D said:
RaginDemon said:

RaginDemon,

I'm reluctant to rely on anything I'd have to take or use for the rest of my life.

I've read that if you use Rogaine, you'll have to use it forever, or the hair will just fall out.

I'm trying to avoid that kind of situation.

You mentioned that it's part of aging, but I see people older than me all the time who have all their hair, so aging alone can't be the full explanation.

My belief is, that there's got to be a reason, and a permanent cure, for this illness.

Isn't there?

I mean, why on earth would a persons body parts just start falling off? It makes no sense.

Unfortunately, all the proven treatments require lifetime commitment, and once you completely stop using them, your hair will fall out again.

There is not a perfect fix yet...I don't think such a thing will exist in our life time.

I think you should give big 3 a try, and see if its worth the risk. Best of luck bro!

G

Thanks dude. I'm seriously considering any and all options at this point. I figured I'd start with the natural, give it six months, and if that didn't work, try the big three, and then the last resort would be hair transplant surgery.

My approach is to start with the most benign approach, and work up from there.

G

I just shaved my head down to stubble with the bare clippers. Feels great. I'm done fretting over stringy hair styling bullshit. I don't care anymore... if it grows back, it grows back. If it doesn't, it doesn't. f*** it. I'm not going to be a little b**ch about it for the rest of my life. I'll still get laid regardless, so who cares... it just became an ego thing at some point, and that's a game no one can win.

I always said that if I ever started losing my hair, I'd just have it all lasered off and go for the Lex Luther look, so in a year or two, if this crap gets worse, or doesn't grow back, I may just resort to that.

Hell, someone's gotta be the evil villain in this world... it may as well be me. :punk:

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Erik, when it comes to hair loss, time is money, many wish they start treatment much earlier.

big 3 is strong at preventing future loss rather than promoting regrowth; I hate to tell you that natural treatment will not work at all. Many people including myself have tried it and failed. My suggestion is to visit a derm to ensure the cause of your hair loss is male pattern baldness, and get on big 3 ASAP. I know the lifetime commitment part sucks ***, but it's only way to regrow/maintain your hair.

Best of luck man!

G

dude, you definately have Telogen Effluvium. MBP doesn't just happen overnight. I recently had Telogen Effluvium over the summer. It will stop, and it is very likely your hair will grow back completely. Stressful or traumatic events sometimes trigger it, or a sudden severe illness. i got mine from having the flu. Anyway, I used rogaine to speed up the whole process and that seemed to work well for me. hope i could have helped.

tim.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

TIM for congress. said:
dude, you definately have Telogen Effluvium. MBP doesn't just happen overnight. I recently had Telogen Effluvium over the summer. It will stop, and it is very likely your hair will grow back completely. Stressful or traumatic events sometimes trigger it, or a sudden severe illness. i got mine from having the flu. Anyway, I used rogaine to speed up the whole process and that seemed to work well for me. hope i could have helped.

tim.

You do NOT want to mislead people.

G

TIM for congress. said:

tim.

I wish you were right, but it's been almost 2 years (1 yr. 9 mos.) and it hasn't grown back yet, so I'm realizing it probably won't without nutraceutical intervention, and dietary and lifestyle changes..