Flaxseeds, & other potential ways of "balancing" hormones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
~They do, here are a few,

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Cushing+syndrome,

Men may have:
Decreased fertility
Decreased or no desire for sex
Impotence

Other symptoms that may occur with this disease:
Mental changes, such as depression, anxiety, or changes in behavior
Fatigue
Headache
High blood pressure
Increased thirst and urination

and then you tell me;

Lord_Justin13 wrote:
They do, here are a few,

Why are you selectively citing symptoms of Cushing's Syndrome? We're talking about healthy people.

You are running in circles as if anything I say with awesome references are wrong?

and here's symptoms of Cushing's on Wiki;

In humans
Symptoms include rapid weight gain, particularly of the trunk and face with sparing of the limbs (central obesity). A common sign is the growth of fat pads along the collar bone and on the back of the neck (buffalo hump) and a round face often referred to as a "moon face". Other symptoms include hyperhidrosis (excess sweating), telangiectasia (dilation of capillaries), thinning of the skin (which causes easy bruising and dryness, particularly the hands) and other mucous membranes, purple or red striae (the weight gain in Cushing's syndrome stretches the skin, which is thin and weakened, causing it to hemorrhage) on the trunk, buttocks, arms, legs or breasts, proximal muscle weakness (hips, shoulders), and hirsutism (facial male-pattern hair growth), baldness and/or cause hair to become extremely dry and brittle. In rare cases, Cushing's can cause hypercalcemia, which can lead to skin necrosis. The excess cortisol may also affect other endocrine systems and cause, for example, insomnia, inhibited aromatase, reduced libido, impotence, amenorrhoea/oligomenorrhea and infertility due to elevations in androgens. Patients frequently suffer various psychological disturbances, ranging from euphoria to psychosis. Depression and anxiety are also common.[3]
Other striking and distressing skin changes that may appear in Cushing's syndrome include facial acne, susceptibility to superficial dermatophyte and malassezia infections, and the characteristic purplish, atrophic striae on the abdomen.[4]:500
Other signs include polyuria (and accompanying polydipsia), persistent hypertension (due to cortisol's enhancement of epinephrine's vasoconstrictive effect) and insulin resistance (especially common in ectopic ACTH production), leading to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which can lead to diabetes mellitus. Untreated Cushing's syndrome can lead to heart disease and increased mortality. Cushing's syndrome due to excess ACTH may also result in hyperpigmentation, such as acanthosis nigricans in the axilla. This is due to Melanocyte-Stimulating Hormone production as a byproduct of ACTH synthesis from Pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC). Cortisol can also exhibit mineralcorticoid activity in high concentrations, worsening the hypertension and leading to hypokalemia (common in ectopic ACTH secretion). Furthermore, gastrointestinal disturbances, opportunistic infections and impaired wound healing (cortisol is a stress hormone, so it depresses the immune and inflammatory responses). Osteoporosis is also an issue in Cushing's syndrome since, as mentioned before, cortisol evokes a stress-like response. Consequently, the body's maintenance of bone (and other tissues) becomes secondary to maintenance of the false stress response. Additionally, Cushing's may cause sore and aching joints, particularly in the hip, shoulders, and lower back.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Elevated stress and cortisol does all of this, you can't turn from the evidence.

First you ask me, if my idea is weird because because your idea of stress can only lead to Cushing's Syndrome, I defended my initial knowledge of stress increasing cortisol, (I later cited PubMed).

Then you ask me if it's weird that mild stress/cortisol wouldn't exhibit similar features as the the symtoms you selected(Cushing's Syndrome, for example, can cause a moon face, buffalo hump (non-HIV-ARV related lipodystrophy) and purpura.
, but oddly these symptoms on wiki, and more on this link of cushing's do the things I've said, and more, it causes these three diseases I've noted, and many other problems.
Cushings on google I cite here
Source: U.S. National Library of Medicine & National Institutes of Health
This proves the validity of everything I said!

All of these symptoms and it's a disease based on a hormone imbalance, just like male pattern baldness

As far as I'm concerned (and any sane human being reading this), this is another valid reason that bridges the gap further than what I knew before, stress, it's release of Cortisol, all tie into hormonal issues, and heart problems, and insulin resistance/diabetes, inflammation, BALDNESS, this cushings is a far advanced disease as is from insane amounts of cortisol over such a long period of time, causing elevated blood suger, and blood pressure, and all of these sick symptoms.

That thing you mentioned the study of women and osteoporosis, it also states;
Osteoporosis is also an issue in Cushing's syndrome since, as mentioned before, cortisol evokes a stress-like response. Consequently, the body's maintenance of bone (and other tissues) becomes secondary to maintenance of the false stress response

Simply going 'OMG I'm stressed!!' is not medically meaningful.

Yes it is, stress and cortisol release over and over is very much medically meaningful, it's too much for the body, it is not designed to live under and tear conditions 24/7.

Lord_Justin13 wrote:
Psychological stress, is much more important than people think, as soon as your brain is taxed this way, your opening a flood gate of potential disasters to your entire system.

You are now making very vague claims about "disasters" which I can't really comment on.

No I'm not, psychological stress releases cortisol as well.

Lord_Justin13 wrote:
True, but, regarding male pattern baldness, many guys losing hair, especially at a younger age, is an obvious physiological sign of many imbalances occurring at once, a few being unnatural hormone levels, elevated blood pressure, higher LDL/lower HDL etc...

Really? Where's the evidence of this imbalance in healthy men? Let me tell you where I think some of these disease associations are coming from.

Your hair, for one. Every organ and cell in the body is a complex network, which DOES interact with one another, yes, even hair loss is an indicator of a piece to your health.

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no male pattern baldness/heart disease/obesity/insulin resistance study which attempts to weeds out potential male PCOS partipants.

I don't know how much more blatant it can be!

I cited the symptoms, then ask why im citing selected examples of cushings syndrome, when I answered is it weird that mild stress/cortisol wouldn't exhibit similar features as the symptoms you selected, but those aren't the only symptoms, especially if it's mild, let alone it doesn't even have to be cushings, its elevated cortisol were are talking about. And even then!!, these same fats on the body, and other problems, among other main symptoms being listed under the link, are the diseases I mentioned, baldness, and more, cushings is another problem causing hair loss, I DID NOT KNOW THIS!

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Sorry everyone, I had to cut up the post so it wouldn't glitch off the board.

When I write
Cushings on google I cite here

I tried to add the link but would mess up the post, look up "Cushings syndrome" on google, clicked images and hit the second image of Cushing's Symdrome, it brought me to;

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/Cushings_syndrome

This is what I cite

If it doesn't appear, go to his cite and look up Cushing's Syndrome.

Oh and,

Do you know what a personal insult is?

Do you know how to finish reading a complete sentance?

Yet, all of these comments are personal insults in which you use a degrading attitude, which is very Hippo-critical.

Just like that comment you just made, insulting my intellect through these snide, degrading and rude comments/questions.

So, I will ask you formally, to stop doing so.

guitar66

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Lord_Justin13

Seriously...calm down or you will be removed....we try to keep things civilized here.

Hey Justin- Its understandable to get heated when debating these topics (especially against people that have zero tolerance for anything outside of finasteride/minoxidil treatments) but, IMO, you should probably leave the personal insults out. I would honestly hate to see you get booted, and then miss out on the valuable insights and research you propose on this board.

For the record though, I see personal insults on this board all the time without the threat of removal.. just saying :dunno:

at any rate, I agree with Justin that there is a strong correlation between cortisol levels and hair loss. Might not be so in every case- lot of people are genetically screwed and will lose their hair no matter what. However I think cortisol plays a role for a lot of people as well, myself included.

At any rate, we're all losing hair here. All things considered, our existing treatments aren't all that great (*personal opinion). I am also in the medicinal school of thought that getting to the root of a problem is much more beneficial than masking, delaying, or temporarily halting the symptoms. I honestly think there should be more tolerance for this type of discussion. I'm not advocating that you go a drop your finasteride or anything like that, but at the same time at least recognize the validity and relevance of discussions such as this. Certainly challenge the points if you disagree, but don't just disregard something automatically disregard something becuase it doesn't involve finasteride as a treatment. A lot of these threads get completely derailed through nit picking and over quoting, while the good, relevant info gets lost in the mix. Keep it on point, and Justin, keep up the good work.

Really hope I don't sound like a hippy.... I hate hippies.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with all this for a little bit, but I think I worked it out on paper a few weeks ago or something.

I think it just drops SHBG somehow. The trick is to lower your cortisol or lift your SHBG. Whatever, I don't really care if people agree - I know I'm right on a lot of this stuff as I researched it a LOT :)

guitar66 said:
Really hope I don't sound like a hippy.... I hate hippies.

I'm a hippy ._.

LewdBear

Reaction score
Alright, this has become incredibly messy.

Let me state my position for everyone in this thread :

Regarding medically abnormal cortisol (that is, cortisol outside the upper reference range), I believe I was initially wrong about how often this happens in otherwise physically healthy patients. Apparently it can occur in major depression or anxiety, etc.

It was never my position that it stress couldn't raise cortisol, it was how much, and whether that amount was substantial/sustained enough to cause/contribute to a range of specific conditions (which I still question).

You can't just assume that such an elevation causes X,Y,Z conditions, associated with disease-state hypercortisolism, without specific proof, in physically healthy people. As I said initially, A+B does not necessarily = C. This is particularly true if the abnormal cortisol levels are only slightly elevated or transient.

And, as I said to Hoppi initially, you cannot just assume you have elevated cortisol simply because you are experiencing subjective stress.

LewdBear

Reaction score
Lord_Justin13,

There seem to be really two distinct claims you're making, so let me summarize (if the summary is wrong, you can restate them in your own words) :

1. ) Elevated cortisol from stress can worsen Androgenetic Alopecia :

2. ) male pattern baldness is associated with these diseases (heart disease/insulin resistance etc.) which suggests it's commonly part of a hypercortisol syndrome :

Is that right?

Now, about personal insults, a "degrading attitude" isn't a personal insult (nor was I trying to use a 'degrading attitude'). You're free to report my posts if you feel I am insulting. You were warned to stop, I wasn't, because I was not engaging in personal attacks.

My only issue with the about.com article was being able to see what the claims were based upon. I'm not going to blindly accept something as true from a single article, unless I can see the underlying evidence and where it is coming from.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Alright, this has become incredibly messy.

Let me state my position for everyone in this thread :

Regarding medically abnormal cortisol (that is, cortisol outside the upper reference range), I believe I was initially wrong about how often this happens in otherwise physically healthy patients. Apparently it can occur in major depression or anxiety, etc.

Yes, and that's medically abnormal cortisol, I've been saying this entire time that stress increases cortisol, even if it's not through the roof, Elizabeth Scott M.S., explains thoroughly what elevated cortisol and stress can harm, even when it's not a full blown condition yet, mind you, it must become a full blown condition from such a long time of consistent cortisol and stress. Which shows cortisol slowly works like many other illnesses, breaking down the body natural balance, and it's barriers.

The point is stress can contribute to many illness.

It was never my position that it stress couldn't raise cortisol, it was how much, and whether that amount was substantial/sustained enough to cause/contribute to a range of specific conditions (which I still question).

Your initial response on page 2 questioning says otherwise, asking me to define heavy stress, how we know his cortisol is higher, (you suggested it has to be medically abnormal). Questioning cortisols harm to the body, stating it's deadly from untreated cushings syndrome only, or a tumor. Then going on to say everyone experiences stress, so, it's to general of a topic to understand.

The evidence I've brought here is many, and of high regards, whether it be PubMed or Elizabeth Scott M.S., a renowned expert, She's been interviewed on national television and radio shows, and in national publications like USA Today, Woman's Day as well as CNN.com. She's written hundreds of articles on various aspects of stress management for About.com

Still questioning all of this would be unwise, for your health. Cortisol is harmful in excess, even if it's not medically abnormal, simply having it released too much stresses the kidnenys adrenal glands.

You can't just assume that such an elevation causes X,Y,Z conditions, associated with disease-state hypercortisolism, without specific proof, in physically healthy people. As I said initially, A+B does not necessarily = C. This is particularly true if the abnormal cortisol levels are only slightly elevated or transient.

I've presented all of the evidence. High cortisol resulting from stress does not have to be in a full blown state of an advanced illness to do various potential harms to the body.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
LewdBear said:
Lord_Justin13,

There seem to be really two distinct claims you're making, so let me summarize (if the summary is wrong, you can restate them in your own words) :

1. ) Elevated cortisol from stress can worsen Androgenetic Alopecia :

2. ) male pattern baldness is associated with these diseases (heart disease/insulin resistance etc.) which suggests it's commonly part of a hypercortisol syndrome :

Is that right?

Now, about personal insults, a "degrading attitude" isn't a personal insult (nor was I trying to use a 'degrading attitude'). You're free to report my posts if you feel I am insulting. You were warned to stop, I wasn't, because I was not engaging in personal attacks.

My only issue with the about.com article was being able to see what the claims were based upon. I'm not going to blindly accept something as true from a single article, unless I can see the underlying evidence and where it is coming from.

1. Elevated cortisol can worsen Androgenetic Alopecia, among many other problems.

2. male pattern baldness can be associated with these diseases, and now we know Cushings to be another causing baldness. Who knows how many other ways male pattern baldness can also be pushed into it's onset. It does not need to be a hypercortisol syndrome, simply stress alone can do harm.

Yet, all of these comments are personal insults in which you use a degrading attitude, which is very Hippo-critical.

Your still not reading the post, you are insulting peoples intellect (which is a personal attribute), with degrading statements, and attitude.

And these child like statements; "You were warned to stop, I wasn't, because I didn't engage in personal attacks". So mocking my statements (You should make the Lord_Justin anxiety theory), telling me the quality of my evidence is lowly (when btw, it's of outstanding quality), and then finally saying "You can't debate without degenerating into personal insults", is a very rude statement, and attacks my charector and intellect with all of this, from before I said anything out of hand to you, your obviously attack me, so at this point yes, the moderator should read what I'm saying here, because it is you who needs to stop, and be warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.