flimflams story - (26yrs old, thinning and recession - Pix)

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi. Like most people I've been lurking around here for a few weeks before posting. I find this place simultaneously highly informative and exceptionally depressing.

[I'm so sorry for the long boring whining, i didn't mean to go on so much. Just needed to get it off my chest I guess..]

I've recently turned 26. I've always had very, very low self-esteem, no confidence and have been depressed (self-diagnosed !) for as long as I can remember. No particular reason, there's nothing physically wrong with me, I'm tall, well built and fairly good looking. Yeah, I'm like "wtf?" too. Aaanyway. About 6 months ago, my life started to get better. I got a really good job, very well paid doing something I like. I lost a lot of weight, something that had been bugging me for a long time, and I finally had the body I've wanted for ages. I got out of the boring sh*t hole part of the country I was living in and moved to camden in london (which is a very lively, vivid place if you dont know it). Things were getting better and I was starting to feel good about myself. Gained a little self esteem and started buying cool clothes and I treated myself to a nice (expensive) haircut for doing so well.
Then soon after all that I met up with an old friend of mine who I hadn't seen in a while. He said "you're looking good mate. But you're losing your hair". It was completely devastating. He was right of course. But having it pointed out was just f*****g horrible. A few days later, after the realisation had sunk in, I went for a walk on my own in the dark and I cried like a fricking baby. haha, yeah pretty pathetic. I thought; it was damn unfair, that finally things were going well for me for the first time in my life and then it turns out I was balding at 26. It also signaled the end of my youth. It was too late. It's over. I'm passed it.

But, I thought, it's not toooo bad. I bought a popular hair concealer and grew my hair longer and it looked pretty damn good. It was an utter nightmare in the morning, took me like an hour to get ready but at least I felt ok going out. My hair got so long that I went to get it trimmed at the sides a bit. The hairdresser clearly misunderstood (English wasn't her first language) and proceeded to cut all my hair off and style it like a young Jimmy White. Terr-f*****g-ific. Back to where I started. That was a week ago. My mood has been yo-yoing like crazy. And I'm completely obsessed with hair, it occupies my every waking thought. I analyze ever guy's hair I see. I'm having trouble sleeping and the last three nights it's even occupied MY GOD DAMN DREAMS! ARGH NO ESCAPE!! haha.

In short, I have to do something.

Weeks ago, when all this bad stuff happened, I did my research. I really really REALLY didn't like the idea of taking drugs that would a) make my hair fall out (even if it was temporary) and b) kill my sex drive which is already pretty low, what with all the depression (lol?). So, I thought, I'll go with growing my hair a little longer and using the concealer for as-long-as-doesn't-look-ridiculous and then shave it when it does. Then, I thought I'd get hair cloning or multiplication or whatever you call it when this Intercytex thing is available in a few years. But I get the feeling from reading various things that it's not going to be available for much longer than they're saying - and by then I'll be fricking 30-odd and my youth (you know; those supposed best years of my life) will definitely be over. Damnit.

Here's my hair:

Wet, with bright halogen lamp and high-quality camera with a very bright flash. I've also shaped my hair to make the balding/thinning look nice and clear. WORST POSSIBLE CONDITIONS EVAAAAR!!:

I should mention; it's shorter than it looks. The front part is much longer than the top, back and rear.

Same conditions, but dry:

And here's how it looked just over a week ago before that b**ch cut it all off lol:

To be honest, I'm not really that bothered about the front going thin/receeding. It's more the rear (crown/vertex?) that's getting me. Both at the same time though? Awesome, just awesome. Thanks for passing on your grade-F genes, dad.

I don't know what to do. I just want to forget about it. My hair has bugged me all my life, it's f*****g horrible. Even when it was thick a few years ago. I always cut it short, but I realise now I should have grown it long, would have looked much better. Oops! Too late.

I'm sooo tempted to shave it all off.

I knew I was going to go bald but I didn't figure so soon. Not sure when my dad started going bald (I have exactly the same hair as him) my mum says it was his mid 30s but I think she's just saying that to put me at ease. My grandad (mums side) went totally bald (horse-shoe). My other grandad, I can't remember too well, I'm sure he had a fairly decent amount at age ~70. My dad is 56 and has lost quite a bit of hair in the same pattern as me but he still has a respectable amount on top.

What to do?

Sorry for the length of this post..

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Get on Propecia. Shedding on finasteride is a myth...maybe not, but the idea that most people will shed is definitely a myth. You're very unlikely to get any sexual side effects...there's like a 3% chance. The earlier you start the more hair you'll save and/or regrow...you'll kick yourself if you wait much longer. Do it!

Sean68

Reaction score
listen to the talking dog, copy his regimen, relax and enjoy living in camden - i wish i did.

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, i agree...that dog was bald before it started popping pills. now look at its swede!

some people say shorter hair makes hair look thicker but i would have to agree that at a certain length, 2-3 inches i reckon is the best length.

your thoughts?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi

thanks for the replies. looks like I posted this in the wrong forum? oops.

I think I am going to try propecia as this problem is not going to go away and only get worse. I would love to grow just a little back on my crown (so it's not super obvious without a concealer) but I guess I'd settle for "maintenance".

I just had a very open chat with my mum about my hair and she assures me that my father had a very full head of thick hair until his mid to late 30s. Which means I am possibly following the pattern of her father and brother instead. They were both bald by late 20s. More good news.

I will book an appointment with the doctor. Can I get propecia prescribed?

@bilbobaggins:

Yeah, it looked much better when it was longer as you can see in the last pic I posted. it looks "thicker" in places when it's short like now, but it also accentuates the receding areas. That length I *had* was perfect, I reckon.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just for the record, i started Propecia today ...

after a day of staring at the blister pack.

Geronimo?

mkul822

Reaction score
Good stuff,

It'll definately have a positive effect in maintaining your hairloss.

But I definately warn you, you will more than likely suffer from the sides, especially low libido. The 2% stat is bullshit!

Anyhow good luck, it'll make you feel much better....

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
flimflam said:
just for the record, i started Propecia today ...

after a day of staring at the blister pack.

Geronimo?

The sexual side effects are temporary until your body adjusts. I heard this from the pharmacist and my doctor. Personally, I have been on it four days and notice no side effects.

GET ON MINOXIDIL NOW!

p.s. People go through natural cycles in hormones and thus go through natural cycles of higher/lower libidos throughout the year. Nobody stays super horney day in and day out 365 days a year.

Look at how retarded people are on this forum. People think that protien powder casues a loss of libido and that masturbation causes hairloss. With conclusions this moronic, is it any wonder people would bash Propecia too?

barcafan

Reaction score
Since this is a hairloss forum; yeah you should go on the big 3.

But you gotta take some time to really think about what you want (Remember, you WONT ever grow all your hair back. EVER.) Maybe if you'd look good bald, you should go for it. I know that neither you or anyone here is content with looking at the mirror for nearly hours a day checking your hair out and if its good enough to go outside. I started at 16 and am 18 now. With the way things are going im probably going to be bald by ~22. I am going to give propecia / minoxidil a shot (whilst shaving my head)

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
barcafan said:
Since this is a hairloss forum; yeah you should go on the big 3.

But you gotta take some time to really think about what you want (Remember, you WONT ever grow all your hair back. EVER.) Maybe if you'd look good bald, you should go for it. I know that neither you or anyone here is content with looking at the mirror for nearly hours a day checking your hair out and if its good enough to go outside. I started at 16 and am 18 now. With the way things are going im probably going to be bald by ~22. I am going to give propecia / minoxidil a shot (whilst shaving my head)

Great idea man, You WILL see results.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok, 8 days on Propecia and I have experienced no side effects. No ball-ache, lowered sex-drive, "watery jizz", "brain fog" and certainly no shedding hah.

Just thought I'd let people know in case they were considering trying it.

mkul822 said:
But I definately warn you, you will more than likely suffer from the sides, especially low libido. The 2% stat is bullshit!

Please be careful how you word things, just because it happened to you doesn't mean it will with the majority of users! Remember all the positive experiences in hair loss/regrowth are rarely reported !!

I'll post again in a month, unless something very interesting happens before then.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sides if your going to get them can take a few weeks to kick in ..took about 2-3 weeks before mine did. Definitely the 2% stat Merk say is not right..2% is right for severe side efffects but I recon you can add a zero to that for those who get mild to medium sides. Everyone is different but chance of low to mild sides at least are fairly high.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nick4441 said:
Sides if your going to get them can take a few weeks to kick in ..took about 2-3 weeks before mine did. Definitely the 2% stat Merk say is not right..2% is right for severe side efffects but I recon you can add a zero to that for those who get mild to medium sides. Everyone is different but chance of low to mild sides at least are fairly high.

Funnily enough, of all the medications ive ever had to take in my life, finasteride is the one with the least amount of sides listed....but its the one that most people fear getting sides.....go figure

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well, that's one month on propecia.

I've also been using Nizorelle (I think that's the 1% stuff) about 2-3 times a week. However I just found a store here that sells the 2% Nizoral stuff, so I'll grab some of that today.

Nothing to report really, had a bit of ball-ache towards the end of week1/beginning of week2 and my sex-drive went through the roof (seriously, it was like being 14 again hahaha) but that's stabilised a bit now though it's still higher than before I started.

No shedding or anything. Nothing on my pillow, shower, sink, desk, etc. I'm actually keen to get a shed just to know this sh*t is working hah. Then I'd *have* to shave my head which would save me looooads of time in the morning.

Are there any other supplements I should be taking? Multivitamins I assume .. anything else which is good?

I am not going anywhere near minoxidil, so don't suggest it thanks :)

well, i'll post again at the three month mark. byeeeee, happy growing people :)

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nick4441 said:

I totally agree.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
Nick4441 said:

I totally agree.

Yeah, mild sides are ok though. Usually, (with other meds anyway), they fade away once your body adjusts and this happens with the majority of prescription meds.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Why won't you go near Minoxidil? It stimulates hair growth whilst Propecia stabilises loss. Together they complement each other.

Tricomin with copper peptides is worth adding too.

Also, where have you seen 2% Nizoral? I live in Islington, about 4 miles from you and I've only seen the 1%.

Good luck and maybe see you around.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wey hey hey another londoner :)

well, they sell the 1% "Nizorelle" in Boots in camden town but I found the 2% nizoral (20mg ketoconazole per gram) in Sainsburys next to where I work ... which is unfortunately miles away in Hemel Hempstead. But if sainsburys carry it, check out your local - they may have it?

I don't really fancy touching minoxidil just yet because I'm almost guaranteed side-effects (shedding etc) and I don't want to commit to plastering my noggin with stinking foam twice a day for the next 10 years or so. Soooo, I will wait to see how the Propecia works - I really don't care much about my hairline anyway. It's just the crown I'm interested in. But if the propecia is crap, I'll think about adding minoxidil.

What's your situation? Us local baldies should meet up for a beer or something :p

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmm

Things aren't too bad at the moment. I'm feeling quite optimistic about the future of my hair. I've decided that if I see f*** all improvements by the end of June, I'm just going to buzz my head.

Hair is actually feeling pretty good right now. I swear it feels thicker, which is obviously impossible given 6 weeks on propecia alone. Maybe it's a combination of the length and Nizoral? I have lots of short dark hairs on my hair line, a few in "no man's land". Don't know if they're recent, I don't examine my hair that much but they are about 1cm long.

hairrw9.jpg

That's my pic for the Glastonbury registration that I took last night (hence, the end of June comment :D).

Crown looks like sh*t, but nanogen fixes that :)

keep the faith an' all that :p