Follica - Good News!

Orin

Established Member
Reaction score
scalpt said:
Orin-

Are you on minoxidil or finasteride?

Currently coming down from dutasteride, now on finasteride. Never tried minoxidil. Doesn't seem worth the trouble or cost.

michael barry

Reaction score
Orin,

Here are all the possible EGF-receptor blockers in the patent:

[00063] In another embodiment, the inhibitor of an EGF or an EGF receptor is panirumumab. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is AG1478. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is nimotuzumab. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is an antibody that binds EGF or EGFR. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is HuMax-EGFR® (Genmab, Copenhagen, Denmark). In another embodiment, the inhibitor is cetuximab. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is IMC 11F8. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is matuzumab. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is SC 100. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is ALT 110. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is PX 1032. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is BMS 599626. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is MDX 214. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is PX 1041. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is any other inhibitor of an EGF or an EGF receptor known in the art. Each possibility represents a separate embodiment of the present invention.

[00064] In another embodiment, the compound or factor that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a HF cell is an inhibitor of a tyrosine kinase activity of an EGF receptor. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is gefitinib. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is

P-7628-PC erlotinib. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is canertinib. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is leflunomide. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is A77 1726. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is pelitinib. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is ZD 1839. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is CL 3877S5. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is EKI 785. In another embodiment, the inhibitor is vandetanib. In another embodiment., the inhibitor is any other inhibitor of a tyrosine kinase activity of an EGF receptor known in the art. Each possibility represents a separate embodiment of the present invention.

Here is the entire patent, http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo= ... SPLAY=DESC . If you read through it, although it might take a good hour, you will understand what they are up to. Note----------patents dont stay online forever in all cases.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Here is the entire patent, http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo= ... SPLAY=DESC . If you read through it, although it might take a good hour, you will understand what they are up to. Note----------patents dont stay online forever in all cases.

Follica Patent said:
ITSHLGQPSPKQQPLEPGEAAL HSDSQDGHQMALLNFFFPDEK-PYSEEESRRVimNKRSKSNEGADGPVKNKKICGKKAGPP GPNGPPGPPGPPGPQGPPGIPGIPGIPGTTVMGPPGPPGPPGPQGPPGLQGPSGAADKAGTR ENQPAWHLQGQGSAIQVKNDLSGGVLNDWSRITMNPKVFKLHPRSGELEVLVDGTYFIY
Michael, what's the deal with all the gibberish through the mid-section of the patent?

scalpt

Reaction score
"Currently coming down from dutasteride, now on finasteride. Never tried minoxidil. Doesn't seem worth the trouble or cost."

Orin - so it sounds like you were able to rejuvenate follicles with wounding, but without minoxidil?

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Mr. Barry, you have said before that you think Follica only will work at the donor area. Why do you think Follica wont grow hair at the crown, top of the head and in front? Is the skin to thin? And btw, do you know about another forum with new research threads? I see hairsite HM forum is just a real nuthouse.

And do anyone know when Follica is giving us some new information and when does human trials begin?

I just hope my hair stabilizes with finasteride and minoxidil this year and Im very excited about the development in Hair Loss products and research the next couple of years. Its amazing to see even Gillette is involved with hair loss research. With the billions invested in hair loss research there is bound to come some good out of it. Maybe not a cure, but the more researchers understand, the better products we may get.

michael barry

Reaction score
Mr. Barry, you have said before that you think Follica only will work at the donor area. Why do you think Follica wont grow hair at the crown, top of the head and in front? Is the skin to thin? And btw, do you know about another forum with new research threads? I see hairsite HM forum is just a real nuthouse.

I said that I see no reason for Follica not to work in the donor area and feel confident that it should be able to thicken donor area scalp. I worry that it might not be as effective in the frontal scalp because balding scalp is thinner, missing some of a water and fatty acid layer------so the circumstances for hair development there are changed. I hope this isn't the case and it grows terrific hair everywhere but admit its a possiblilty. The HM forum at hairsite is getting to be a nuthouse. Men over there have been waiting for HM since about 2000 when Ken Washenik, the guy over research at Aderans, opened his big mouth and said that he expected HM by 2005. Not only was he wrong, but they weren't even in human trials by that time....................and still may not be. Aderans doesn't release anything, and it looks like they dont have that much success in private trials. Alot of guys over there are dissapointed that HM hasn't fared better in testing. ICX's results of late are obviously not-all-that good (or they wouldn't be so evasive about their last trial). .

Follica will be in human trials over the summer as they were supposedly about to start. I imagine by sometime in the fall we will know if they had success. To be honest, Follica or HM is probably our last shot at de noveau (new) hair growth in bald areas for a long while. HM is running into a wall of effectiveness apparently as so-so new growth is about all they seem to be able to do, which isn't good enough to go spend much money on.

scalpt

Reaction score
Someone over on another hair loss forum emailed Follica asking about trials and got this reply:

"Thank you for your interest in Follica. We cannot anticipate precisely when this will be launched as a commercial product, nor have we announced any specific clinical trial plans at this time, though we hope to conduct initial testing in humans in Boston later this year. We look forward to announcing additional information as we progress. We know how much this means to so many people, and are focused on making it a medical reality. If you are interested in learning about the clinical trials if and when they are announced, please send an e-mail to clinical.info@follicabio.com I would also encourage you to visit http://www.follicabio.com periodically. We will announce any news there as we progress."

joemadrid

Reaction score
There is also something important.

In the patent said that they have experimented with human skin in mice and when they abrade new HF forms. That is ok but they do not provide data on the human skin experiment, just the sentence. No HF count, meassures or photo.

michael barry

Reaction score
EXAMPLE 7

EDIHN-INDUCES NEW HAIR FOLLICLES IN HUMAN SKIN

MATERIALS AND EXPERIMENTAL METHODS

Grafting

[000210] Discarded human, adult scalp from the preauricular area obtained from plastic surgery was grafted onto immunodeficient (scid) mice. The graft was bandaged and allowed to heal, then was used in the wound healing study 3 months after grafting.

RESULTS

[000211 ] To determine whether human skin responded to EDIHN as did mouse skin, human skin was grafted onto SCID (immuno-deficient) mice and subjected to depilation by plucking and wound induction three days later. Seven days following wound induction, formation of new HF was observed in the human skin (Figure 2 IA; arrows indicate new HF) by hematoxylin and eosin staining of paraffin embedded tissue sections.

[000212] In additional experiments, adult human skin was grafted onto mice., abraded, and examined at 7 days post-abrasion. New HF were generated in the human skkx, which mimicked normal hair follicle formation during fetal development, as evidenced by staining for SlOO A6 or S100A4 (Figure 21B).

P-7628-PC

[000213] The results of this Example show that EDIHN can be used to generate hair growth inhuman skin as for mouse skin.

They dont say how many, but they do say that new hair follicles were made in the human skin.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I imagine with further study they will hopefully be able to determine what causes follicles to form and where, and with any luck they can replicate the process with more accuracy.

Hopefully the human trials fare just as well if not better than the mice trials. Time will tell.

joemadrid

Reaction score
Yes Michael, they also provide a microscope photo (Figure 21A) were hair folicles born.

But, to my knowledge, the human skin was only abraded. They did not use anything to increase follicle neogenesis, so it could be imposible they cover with full hair all the human skin they grafted to the mouse. At least, not with the current information we have.

But the nice thing is that... to protect the patent they give us a lot of liquids that we can use to increase folicle formation during healing. :punk:

I am going to try the abrasion in my leg in a few weeks. I will perform one leg without any liquids and the other trying to increase folicle formation. I will repeat the procedure several times and take photos to increase the results.

I do not know if I could use sulfuric acid, I got tons of these, but do not want to be intoxicated. I know they use glycolic acid in the peelings.

Guys, this is the Top Discover in Hair Loss ever. Read the patent. The procedure is so easy that they had need to protect the patent with tons of sentences and liquids we can buy easy and cheap.

The only thing we need to confirm is if we can convert the vellous generated hair into terminal and full thick hair.

Also I would like to know if a dermoabrasion can kill current follicles. I know that some people performs laser therapy to kill hair, but this laser is not the same than dermoabrasion, because they configure it to try to reach only Hair follicle. Would not like to en with a Pink bald spot in my hairline :thumbdown2:

michael barry

Reaction score
Also I would like to know if a dermoabrasion can kill current follicles. I know that some people performs laser therapy to kill hair, but this laser is not the same than dermoabrasion, because they configure it to try to reach only Hair follicle. Would not like to en with a Pink bald spot in my hairlin
e

The patent mentions hair removal with wounding. They simply pluck hair, wait three days, wound, wait 3 to 5 days (re-epilithialization) and apply epidermal growth factor -------------kinda the reverse of what the intend to do to grow hair. Apparently this kills the existing hairs.

They ARE NOT making existing vellus hairs grow however...........they are forming brand new hairs

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Michael: Any insight as to the dermabrasion instrument that could be used? Are these rollers any good or does the depth need to be precise to generate reliable results?

michael barry

Reaction score
a dermaroller pokes holes in the skin............thats not dermabrasion.

the dermabrasion instrument they used was a motorized felt-tipped wheel that removed the epilithial layer of the dermis and left the skin pink and shiny when they were through. Sandpaper is even defensively mentioned in the patent

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. thats definitely interesting. It makes sense to me now; the needle roller would not exactly cover surface area nearly as effectively. I think I could possibly fabricate a device like this myself. Although it would take some degree of skill to control the motion of the instrument as to do the job neatly. I'll consider this a project after I graduate. I don't have time to develop a device like this right now.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even begin to mess around with chemicals since I'm not a chemist or have any knowledge of medical biology. All I can say is if someone with knowledge can find a suitable way to activate Wnt signaling I could possibly fabricate a device to facilitate dermabrasion. Anyway the substance you mention above is not available to consumers as stated on the website. I think you have to show proof that you are licensed in some appropriate field to be able to obtain it.