Foods/chemicals that are DETRIMENTAL to hair loss

Hoppi

Reaction score
lol guys regardless I think the chance that soy products are going to cure your hair loss are a great big zero. heh

Besides I think they promote IGF-1 and that is something you definitely do NOT want, especially if you have male pattern baldness, as I understand.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
The asians consume a lot of fish and soy and tons of other things, I could go on forever. But they don't eat as much as meat as us, and they're testosterone levels are also low, they don't develop acne as much as we do. If we adopted the asian diet, especially japanese products, we'd be better off.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
skribb said:
The only thing I know for sure is that Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is bad for our hair...

I've never believed that theory.

skribb

Reaction score
Bryan said:
skribb said:
The only thing I know for sure is that Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is bad for our hair...

I've never believed that theory.

Well apparently they omit that ingredient in "good for hair" shampoos like the Ginesis line of hair care products.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
skribb said:
I don't disagree with you but, on the grand scale, they eat more soy than Westerners, at the very LEAST from a historical standpoint, if you see where I'm going.

Actually, technically westerners eat more soy than asians at this point in time because of processed foods. Soy is a major source of cheap protein to boost nutritional profiles on processed foods as well as a good source of an emulsifier.

Isoflavones are antioxidants which are good right? Yeah but there are thousands of other better sources of antioxidants. Soy is no miracle food as it once was portrayed. It is simply a very cheap source of protein that is a very very common source of food intolerances and allergies in human beings.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
skribb said:
Well apparently they omit that ingredient in "good for hair" shampoos like the Ginesis line of hair care products.

They probably do that just because of the outcry from a lot of people about the use of SLS in shampoos, not for any legitimate scientific reason.

Dr. Proctor always used to talk about how he removed SLS from his NANO Shampoo simply because he didn't want to have to waste a lot of time arguing with people who called him up complaining about it. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with it, either.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Sugar is also very bad. Increases insulin, followed by all the repercussions that brings :(

Dairy is also bad as it increases IGF-1.

skribb

Reaction score
Bryan said:
skribb said:

They probably do that just because of the outcry from a lot of people about the use of SLS in shampoos, not for any legitimate scientific reason.

Dr. Proctor always used to talk about how he removed SLS from his NANO Shampoo simply because he didn't want to have to waste a lot of time arguing with people who called him up complaining about it. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with it, either.

I see. That's a load of my chest!

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Dr. Lee also puts SLS in his shampoo. I doubt it can be bad for hair. He even says you can keep his shampoo in your hair all night long... so SLS is probably not that harmful, if at all.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.dweckdata.com/Research_files/SLS_compendium.pdf

A collection of data about SLS. SLS is used as the positive control in skin irritation tests at concentrations 10-20x the amount that is supposed to be contained in any skin care product. The concentration and period of contact all factor in to how much damage it can do to the skin. Unfortunately with some of these hair care products, people are convinced that they need to leave the product in contact with their scalp for quite an extended amount of time.

Also notice that the data says that in most people you need to exceed a certain concentration or a certain exposure length to induce observable irritation. Most people, not all. If you think SLS might be harmful to your skin there's little risk in trying out an SLS free option for a time to see what happens. This all has to do with skin though, I think it's nuts to use it on your gums.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hmm, I've partly changed my mind on soy. I have come to the conclusion that it's very much like green tea, in that some aspects/components of it are absolutely excellent, and some are potentially troublesome.

I believe some thing in green tea reduce and some increase DHT, for example. Soy has fantastic things in it like daidzein, but unfortunately is also goitrogenic, so when I have fermented soy and stuff soon for my Densiti, I will be on a good dose of iodine and maybe selenium and l-tyrosine too, to support my thyroid.

Apparently the soy/green tea combo reduces DHT by a huge degree however, although I'm not sure if that's based around just 5ar type 1.

Who knows, let's see how I do on Densiti anyway :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Apparently the soy/green tea combo reduces DHT by a huge degree however, although I'm not sure if that's based around just 5ar type 1.

Are you talking about drinking green tea, or applying it topically? If it were really true that drinking green tea reduces DHT significantly, don't you think that would have been over the news long long ago, and everybody would know all about it?

Boondock

Reaction score
I essentially agree with Bryan on all of this stuff.

Bryan, do you recall seeing a study pointing to extremely high age of male pattern baldness onset correlation among identical twins? I thought I saw a citation earlier, and it was used to argue that lifestyle plays a relatively minor factor in hair loss (i.e. one twin can eat McDonald's, the other health shakes, and both get male pattern baldness at a similar time).

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing such a study or citation, Boondock, but if you can remember where you saw it, I'd like to read it myself! It sounds like rather convincing evidence against these "natural" enthusiasts.

Boondock

Reaction score
I definitely saw a twin study cited, but they didn't go into details. I'll try and dig it up now.

Boondock

Reaction score
Ok, so the paper I've been reading was Ellis and Sinclair, 'Male pattern baldness: current treatments, future prospects', Drug Discovery Today
, 13:17/18, pp.791-797.

Their citation was after the statement: "twin studies of male pattern baldness have demonstrated that risk of developing male pattern baldness is determined almost exclusively by genetic predisposition 24."

This leads to the following article: G. Severi et al., Androgenetic alopecia in men aged 40-69 years: prevalence and risk factors, Br. J. Dermatol. 149 (2003), pp. 1207–1213. Full Text via CrossRef | View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus (17)[24].

The abstract of this, sadly, makes no mention of twins specifically:

Background The epidemiology of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is not fully understood. Although a strong genetic basis has long been identified, little is known of its non-genetic causes.

Objectives To estimate the prevalence of and to determine risk factors for Androgenetic Alopecia in men aged 40–69 years in Australia.

Methods Men (n = 1390) were recruited at random from the electoral rolls to serve as controls in a population-based case–control study of prostate cancer. All were interviewed in person and direct observations of Androgenetic Alopecia were made. Men were grouped into the following categories; no Androgenetic Alopecia, frontal Androgenetic Alopecia, vertex Androgenetic Alopecia and full Androgenetic Alopecia (frontal and vertex Androgenetic Alopecia). Epidemiological data collected from these men were used for an analysis of risk factors for each Androgenetic Alopecia category using unconditional logistic regression with Androgenetic Alopecia category as the response variable adjusting for age, education and country of birth.

Results The prevalence of vertex and full Androgenetic Alopecia increased with age from 31% (age 40–55 years) to 53% (age 65–69 years). Conversely, the proportion of men with only frontal Androgenetic Alopecia was very similar across all age groups (31–33%). No associations were found between pubertal growth spurt or acne, reports of adult body size at time of interview, urinary symptom score, marital status, or current smoking status or duration of smoking and the risk of any form of Androgenetic Alopecia. The consumption of alcohol was associated with a significant increase in risk of frontal and vertex Androgenetic Alopecia but not full Androgenetic Alopecia. Men with vertex Androgenetic Alopecia had fewer female sexual partners but average ejaculatory frequency did not differ between men in different Androgenetic Alopecia categories. Reported weight and lean body mass at reaching maturity at about 21 years of age were negatively associated with vertex balding (P for trend < 0·05) but not with frontal Androgenetic Alopecia or full Androgenetic Alopecia.

Conclusions Evidence for environmental influences on Androgenetic Alopecia remains very slight. Our study failed to confirm previously reported or hypothesized associations with smoking and benign prostatic hypertrophy. The associations that we found with alcohol consumption and with lean body mass at age 21 years would be worthy of further research if they were able to be replicated in other studies.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thing is are you sure you can't see it all around you though? I mean I go in the health food places and most of the guys have hair, and then I go to the fish and chip shop and all the customers are bald lol

In my friend's city in Canada, it's really polluted and all the guys are losing hair.

Many people lose hair after stressful incidents, and it's quite commonly acknowledged that stress seems to be able to bring on male pattern baldness.

The IH regimen is based around treating high insulin, cortisol etc and has luck fixing people's male pattern baldness.

People have commented that the homeless seem to have lower levels of male pattern baldness, probably because of caloric restriction.

There is a correlation between certain health problems and male pattern baldness, and metabolic syndrome and male pattern baldness, many of these things point at insulin and thyroid issues.

And anyone, ANYONE can see that people who drink a lot of beer and stuff lose hair faster, come on I just think... isn't the evidence just all around us?

I'm not really here to try to convince anyone though, I mean I do believe obviously genetics and DHT is the like, kinda #1, but I also believe that the reason for example that they tend to keep their hair in places like Japan is because their diet is so excellent.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
The IH regimen is based around treating high insulin, cortisol etc and has luck fixing people's male pattern baldness.

I doubt it.

Hoppi said:
I'm not really here to try to convince anyone though, I mean I do believe obviously genetics and DHT is the like, kinda #1, but I also believe that the reason for example that they tend to keep their hair in places like Japan is because their diet is so excellent.

I doubt that, too.

skribb

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Hmm, I've partly changed my mind on soy. I have come to the conclusion that it's very much like green tea, in that some aspects/components of it are absolutely excellent, and some are potentially troublesome.

I believe some thing in green tea reduce and some increase DHT, for example. Soy has fantastic things in it like daidzein, but unfortunately is also goitrogenic, so when I have fermented soy and stuff soon for my Densiti, I will be on a good dose of iodine and maybe selenium and l-tyrosine too, to support my thyroid.

Who knows, let's see how I do on Densiti anyway :)

The Alopecia Major has spoken! When's your thesis coming out?

Boondock

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Thing is are you sure you can't see it all around you though? I mean I go in the health food places and most of the guys have hair, and then I go to the fish and chip shop and all the customers are bald lol

In my friend's city in Canada, it's really polluted and all the guys are losing hair.

Many people lose hair after stressful incidents, and it's quite commonly acknowledged that stress seems to be able to bring on male pattern baldness.

People have commented that the homeless seem to have lower levels of male pattern baldness, probably because of caloric restriction.

There is a correlation between certain health problems and male pattern baldness, and metabolic syndrome and male pattern baldness, many of these things point at insulin and thyroid issues.

And anyone, ANYONE can see that people who drink a lot of beer and stuff lose hair faster, come on I just think... isn't the evidence just all around us?

As I've said before, the impact of dietary and lifestyle factors is not likely to be very significant. I mean, it may be somewhat noticeable at the extremes - if you smoke 40 a day it could speed up your loss quite a bit - but in general it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

The literature seems to agree with this view.

You should really go and read up on cognitive biases if you want to get a handle on this stuff. I don't mean that in an insulting way, since it's actually a very interesting area IMO. For instance, you seem to experience confirmation bias without even realizing it: you think bad diets cause hair loss, then you see more people losing hair in chip shops. When I buy a blue Ford, I see more blue Fords - does that mean more are around now?

Also, the reason the Japs don't lose their hair is most likely because the balding gene is less prevalent in their populations. It's fairly well-established that Europeans have the most prevalent balding genetics (one of the reasons why the Vitamin D hypothesis was first put forward).

I don't know why you keep citing the stuff from Immortal Hair, since the 'success' they seem to have had over there is marginal at best. I still haven't seen anyone except the guy who runs the forum posting images of successful results, and this guy isn't exactly an early 20s aggressive balder anyway.