Foods/chemicals that are DETRIMENTAL to hair loss

abcdefg

Reaction score
I do not think diet has any profound affect on hair loss and its almost completely determined by genetics.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I hope he doesn't mind me posting this, but here is CS's response on this topic:

Everyone who loses their hair begin at different ages and attrition rates.

We know for instance that DKK-1 is upregulated in balding scalps when signalled by DHT. Non-balding can have little or no expression of DKK-1 in their scalps despite DHT, so they are lucky.

During times of hyperglycemia (elevated blood sugar) there will be an upswing in DKK-1 expression.

The health of our thyroid, liver, kidneys and adrenal glands, balance of intestinal microflora is influential over hormone stability. So for us balding prone, we will suffer an attack at an earlier age, but ultimately 80% of all men will bald eventually, as hair follicle senescence or its biological aging will arrive on its normal course.

male pattern baldness prone have premature senescence, probably due to the DKK-1 factor and/or TGF-beta, which both happen to be governed by the thyroid either directly or indirectly.

Heavy metals, or problems with oral pathology will accelerate senescence even more than diet.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.. don't you think? :) I mean, unless someone can actually actively disprove it, I don't see the reluctance to take these views on board.

The views expressed by people like CS may be complex but to me they make much more sense. I mean yes I do believe the cure to hair loss will involve androgen control of some sort, but that doesn't mean that here and now we should pretend that all there is to this is DHT and a dead follicle!

It does seem very strange to me that people who live on light, vegan diets keep their hair much longer (I'm sorry but... they do. lol). That misterE, JDP and Brains are all regrowing based on practically diet alone, and many have experienced success on the IH 6 (according to what I can tell on the forum).

I dunno man, it's just, I have tried to convince myself that it's purely genetic in the past, that diet and lifestyle have no influence, and then I'm walking along every day and see a million things that disprove it lol

Additionally the japs are interesting :) It is certainly very interesting that apparently when they went on western diets they lost hair! hehe

You have to bear in mind that at the very least green tea and soy combined (particularly in an equol producer) will I believe create a fantastic anti-DHT environment, so that's not a bad start :)

Boondock

Reaction score
Man, CS is such an irritating mofo isn't he? :innocent:

This is his problem (and yours): you place far too much emphasis on what you find in laboratory science, and not enough in what you find in applied science - and, for that matter, in reality.

Here is the bottom line (or lines) for me:

--- Is there some indication from a variety of lab/animal studies that what CS says is true? Absolutely.

--- But are there stacks of variables when it goes from taking lab and animal to human reality which can make a ton (perhaps the majority) or lab studies useless? Yes

--- Is there any significant clinical evidence based on large-n human studies that what CS says will work to prevent hair loss actually does? No.

--- Are the cases we see in the community sufficient to justify faith in CS's methods in spite of the gaps in our understanding? Given that CS appears to be the only person seeing 'success', versus hundreds that do not? No.

The whole Immortal Hair board is just full of idiot savants who are able to create extravagant theories based around herbal elements yet are unable to grasp the basics. It's like a man spending years trying to build a boat to cross a river when a bridge is just nearby.

Hoppi

Reaction score
lol I like that metaphor at the end :)

I do agree that when the #1 culprit is DHT, it makes a lot of sense just to kill the DHT and have done with it. However, if I have done something wrong (such as by eating junk food, stressing etc) then I would personally see if there is a way to correct the damage and go back to square one, rather than having to take a tablet for the rest of my life, and a tablet that doesn't even have guaranteed lifelong success.

I also do believe that a fair number of individuals have had success with the IH regimen. Not everyone by any means, but enough to prove that it is having a beneficial effect on hair loss, and to back up what CS is saying.

Additionally, I would be very curious to hear why people like misterE, JDP, Brains, 1...., Espio and more are having success despite not being on any significant DHT blockers. I mean, unless the claim was made that they are simply lying, it's quite hard if not impossible to explain their success without accepting the impact of diet and lifestyle.. isn't it?

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I definitely see a lot of vegans with thinning hair where I'm from.

skribb

Reaction score
seaback said:
Random quick question:

How can you SEE if a person is vegan or not?

What kind of a child are you ? :shakehead:
Anyway, all my vegan friends are bald or balding.

The kind that asks how you can determine if someone is a vegan based on visual cues.

Boondock

Reaction score
Additionally, I would be very curious to hear why people like misterE, JDP, Brains, 1...., Espio and more are having success despite not being on any significant DHT blockers. I mean, unless the claim was made that they are simply lying, it's quite hard if not impossible to explain their success without accepting the impact of diet and lifestyle.. isn't it?

Why do you think we conduct scientific studies in the first place? People saying they have results means nothing. Nothing at all.

It doesn't have to mean that they're lying. It just means that they're deluding themselves. And my God are people into alternative therapies able to delude themselves. Why else do all the homeopathy fans seem to "just feel better" on their jugs of distilled water which have zero demonstrable effect on health?

I haven't seen pics from any of these individuals except CS. All I have is their testimonials. I also know that at least some of these individuals are completely mental, and not the kind of people I'd take at face value.

Hoppi

Reaction score
seaback said:

Because they have thinning hair.
Hoppy's and co. natural regimen, beside leading to kidney failure (go to an hospital in China if you do not trust me), gives protein deficiency which results in hair loss, muscle loss, a flat noodle, man boobs (not enough testosterone) and hormone unbalance and finally nervous breakdown and suicidal tendencies.

lol! What on EARTH is it you think I'm suggesting!?

Sounds like the side effects list from Propecia to me o_O

Hoppi

Reaction score
lol I dunno man, I have met people WAY crazier than me over the years! :)

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
skribb said:
seaback said:
Random quick question:

What kind of a child are you ? :shakehead:
Anyway, all my vegan friends are bald or balding.

The kind that asks how you can determine if someone is a vegan based on visual cues.

Umm... I'm talking about people who say they are vegans.

But then again, it's not really difficult to make good guesses as to who is a vegan and who is not. Some good cues include clothing, hair style, lack of hygiene (I'm kidding).

skribb

Reaction score
JLL said:
Umm... I'm talking about people who say they are vegans.

But then again, it's not really difficult to make good guesses as to who is a vegan and who is not. Some good cues include clothing, hair style, lack of hygiene (I'm kidding).

Oh you said "see" as in "talk to". I get it.