FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Im English and i absolutely love gridiron. I never refer to it as football because in England football is what the Americans call soccer. In all fairness who cares what they're called they are both great sports!

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
However you see it, american football is boring. The tv commercials broadcasted during an amarican football match are much more interesting. And by the way american football is responisble for your hair loss.

lol

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:
However, if you want to see proper hard core egg chasing, not NFL, you might find rugby quite exciting. They don't need to wear any protective gear there other than a gum shield. They're real hard men. :punk:

Well, I guess in a certain sense, race-car drivers don't really need to wear protective protective gear, either, like helmets and flame-retarding suits; and even ordinary automobiles don't really need to have seat belts, either. Just let everybody who drives those things take their own chances at being horribly mangled and killed, without them!

I've always been fascinated at how British people like to mention the protective gear used in American football, comparing it negatively with rugby, where they apparently don't have enough common sense to protect themselves. We use protective gear in football because the sport is FREAKING DANGEROUS!! You may get your rocks off by watching dim-witted rugby players risk life and limb unnecessarily, but that's not really what most Americans are into. We're into the sport of football, not some cruel and dangerous Roman gladiator-style exhibition of potential mayhem! :shock:

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've always been fascinated at how British people like to mention the protective gear used in American football, comparing it negatively with rugby, where they apparently don't have enough common sense to protect themselves. We use protective gear in football because the sport is FREAKING DANGEROUS!!

sounds like you're all just too soft over there

:whistle:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Bryan said:
I've always been fascinated at how British people like to mention the protective gear used in American football, comparing it negatively with rugby, where they apparently don't have enough common sense to protect themselves. We use protective gear in football because the sport is FREAKING DANGEROUS!!

sounds like you're all just too soft over there :whistle:

And yet Europeans and others in the world often decry the "gun culture" in America, where everybody has a gun, and isn't afraid to use it! _Now_ who are the softies? :)

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

Sorry Cassin and Gardener, I had to do it. Where did it all go wrong?

Cassin

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

Sorry Cassin and Gardener, I had to do it. Where did it all go wrong?

NFL teams revolve around the offensive line. It's the base of every team...nothing...not QB, RB or LB's mean a damn thing if you don't have a good OL.

And the Cowboys do not have a good OL. Collectively they have a very good time but without a good OL there is nothing. And Wade Phillips is a bad coach...I have never liked him.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
What a season so far, huh? I feel like there are 10 legitimate teams that you could make a case for going all the way. As for Dallas, I feel for Romo, because I think he's good, but he's never been able to put it all together with the pieces around him.

Also, I was just in Dallas last week for a couple of days for work and drove to Houston. Mighty fine place you got down there.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
On the bright side, Cowboy fans, you have Dez Bryant! It has to be coaching that is the problem in Dallas. There is more talent on that team than you can shake a stick at. Romo, Felix Jones, Barber, Bryant, Austin, Witten, Ware, etc - it's like a Pro Bowl team. I think the issues are related to discipline and toughness, which ultimately the coach is responsible for, in my opinion. My guess is they go with a more tough-nosed coach who whips them into shape and will make them really good next year. I hope so, anyway - the NFL is better off when the Cowboys are good!

The Gardener

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
On the bright side, Cowboy fans, you have Dez Bryant! It has to be coaching that is the problem in Dallas. There is more talent on that team than you can shake a stick at. Romo, Felix Jones, Barber, Bryant, Austin, Witten, Ware, etc - it's like a Pro Bowl team. I think the issues are related to discipline and toughness, which ultimately the coach is responsible for, in my opinion. My guess is they go with a more tough-nosed coach who whips them into shape and will make them really good next year. I hope so, anyway - the NFL is better off when the Cowboys are good!
IMHO, the Dallas Cowboys' "problem" has just been promoted to interim head coach.

Cassin

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
I hope so, anyway - the NFL is better off when the Cowboys are good!

I read something once on Monday Morning QB that stated ratings and sales go up like 8% league wide when the Cowboys are good. That's insane.

I am sure it's the same with the Yankees.

Part of what makes franchises successful is how much other teams hate them and thus turn in to watch them lose.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This season has been insane! We're more than 1/2 way through the season and I could honestly say that 3/4 of the teams still have a decent shot at the playoffs. There isn't really any 1 division that I'd say is already locked up.

A year ago, who would have thought that Vick would be playing so well. Last week he put up 335 passing yards, 80 yards rushing, 2 rushing TD's, 4 passing TD's 0 int's and a 150.7 QB rating. That's god like numbers.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to see the 49ers vs Bronchos at Wembley Stadium in London a few weeks back and it was full to the rafters! NFL is certainly catching on over this side of the pond. So much so that I've heard rumours that there might be a London franchise to be added to the NFL. Not sure how that would work as a London Frachise would have to fly long distances for each away game but i would certainly welcome it. Has anyone else heard of these rumours?

Cassin

Reaction score
Bald Dave said:
I went to see the 49ers vs Bronchos at Wembley Stadium in London a few weeks back and it was full to the rafters! NFL is certainly catching on over this side of the pond. So much so that I've heard rumours that there might be a London franchise to be added to the NFL. Not sure how that would work as a London Frachise would have to fly long distances for each away game but i would certainly welcome it. Has anyone else heard of these rumours?

that idea how been around for a long time and it's getting closer and closer to happening. The problem is logistics of course.

And more complex is they would have to re-align the divisions for those logistics.

It will happen and my guess is you will get a franchise that is now called the Buffalo Bills or possibly the Oakland Raiders