Getting older with a hair system, general advice needed

Pallas foods

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking for advice about how to deal with wearing a hair system as I'm getting older.

(Bit of background) I'm 33 now and have been wearing a system for 5 years now, no one knows i wear a system apart from my family. Over the last 12 months a lot of my friends have been saying how dark my hair is. Most of my friends are losing there hair or going grey.

I was just wondering what is the best way to not stand out. Was thinking of getting a few greys in my new system but my bio hair hasn't any greys in it so would that stand out more?
Or would it be best to just go down in hair density?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely reduce density and break up the hair by adding lowlights and grey hair. 5% grey will be a good start, barely noticeable. If you have black hair then add in 10% dark brown too, which will make it look more natural.

Consider changing the contour of your hairline too, like evolving it into a more A shaped hairline over time.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Compared to 12 years ago, I reduced my density and added 10% grey. I took the state of my native hair in terms of colour and density as a guide for my piece.

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking for advice about how to deal with wearing a hair system as I'm getting older.

(Bit of background) I'm 33 now and have been wearing a system for 5 years now, no one knows i wear a system apart from my family. Over the last 12 months a lot of my friends have been saying how dark my hair is. Most of my friends are losing there hair or going grey.

I was just wondering what is the best way to not stand out. Was thinking of getting a few greys in my new system but my bio hair hasn't any greys in it so would that stand out more?
Or would it be best to just go down in hair density?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks
Yes, next time you order make sure to get 10% or 20% grey. I would probably start with 20% since 10% is barely noticeable. You might also consider switching to the next lighter shade of hair.

joely87

Reaction score
I’ve just removed my system after ten years because I was getting abit older, I’m 37 and I’d noticed the start of a few grey hairs coming through on the sides

My biggest worry was colour matching with my own greying hair, my own hair is very dark brown and to keep my systems from fading I was using back to natural once a week, I was worried if I had greys in they system to match my own hair the back to natural would make them dark brown and I’d soon have grey hair round the back and sides and dark brown on top!!!

Seemed like a lot of expensive maintaining to keep it matching so opted to live my life without the system!!!

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just removed my system after ten years because I was getting abit older, I’m 37 and I’d noticed the start of a few grey hairs coming through on the sides

My biggest worry was colour matching with my own greying hair, my own hair is very dark brown and to keep my systems from fading I was using back to natural once a week, I was worried if I had greys in they system to match my own hair the back to natural would make them dark brown and I’d soon have grey hair round the back and sides and dark brown on top!!!

Seemed like a lot of expensive maintaining to keep it matching so opted to live my life without the system!!!
I had the opposite reaction, grey hairs made life so much easier. Maybe you didn't realise that a lot of grey hair is synthetic so wouldnt have dyed, so that wouldnt have been an issue for you.

Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree @mrdavies , grey makes life so much easier. Especially if bio hair is dark - grey helps hide the v-loops or knots so much better. And of course, grey hair breaks up the dark colour so it doesn't look so much like a big block of 'lego' hair.

@joely87 huge respect to you for moving on and living free of hair/systems. I wish I was as strong as you to do this.

Synthetic grey is the way to go, just in case anyone else is reading and wondering how to progress the hair system with age.

Pallas foods

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree @mrdavies , grey makes life so much easier. Especially if bio hair is dark - grey helps hide the v-loops or knots so much better. And of course, grey hair breaks up the dark colour so it doesn't look so much like a big block of 'lego' hair.

@joely87 huge respect to you for moving on and living free of hair/systems. I wish I was as strong as you to do this.

Synthetic grey is the way to go, just in case anyone else is reading and wondering how to progress the hair system with age.
Thanks for the reply how much grey would you go to start with 5%?

joely87

Reaction score
I had the opposite reaction, grey hairs made life so much easier. Maybe you didn't realise that a lot of grey hair is synthetic so wouldnt have dyed, so that wouldnt have been an issue for you.
No I didn’t realise it was synthetic, in all honest my sides have gone quite thin aswell and I was generally starting to get abit annoyed with wearing a system so off it came!!

joely87

Reaction score

Thank you, i was off work for a couple of months so i had SMP, I preferred how I looked with the system but most people have been positive with how I look!!!

I wouldn’t go back to the hair system anytime soon, it’s definitely given me a sense of freedom that I’ve not had for years!!! Been doing things I never did before because I was worried about the system!!

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you, i was off work for a couple of months so i had SMP, I preferred how I looked with the system but most people have been positive with how I look!!!

I wouldn’t go back to the hair system anytime soon, it’s definitely given me a sense of freedom that I’ve not had for years!!! Been doing things I never did before because I was worried about the system!!
That's great Joe, I'm happy for you.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply how much grey would you go to start with 5%?
5% won't be noticeable. It depends on your age and how grey your bio sides are, but generally I would start with 10% which is very barely noticeable and then increase as the years go by. I'm up to 20% but I am late 40s and tend to dye my sides to keep a more youthful look (or so I fool myself to believe :D). I do like the silver fox look though so am going for 25% soon.

Pallas foods

My Regimen
Reaction score
5% won't be noticeable. It depends on your age and how grey your bio sides are, but generally I would start with 10% which is very barely noticeable and then increase as the years go by. I'm up to 20% but I am late 40s and tend to dye my sides to keep a more youthful look (or so I fool myself to believe :D). I do like the silver fox look though so am going for 25% soon.
Lovely thanks, I'm in my early 30s might start with 5% and work my way up as my bio hair doesn't have any greys at the minute

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Me too, I'm at 90%. :D

I Started going grey early...obviously.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow 90% ! I'd like to see how that would look, I can imagine it's quite striking.
My piece is quite small, I grow my bio hair long and mix it in. Not many people my age with so much grey, I could dye my hair but I can't be bothered with the hassle of it all, and I've been grey so long now everyone would know I dye my hair. Plus a grey piece just makes things easier.

Everybodys different, some men panic at the sight of one grey hair.:D