Ginger-uk's Story - (26 and now shaved off!)

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll give you all a quick overview of my hair problems.

At 20 I started to notice a slight receeding of the front of my hairline. At 22 it was still thinning, as was a very small area at the crown. It had gone unnoticed to everyone, even my girlfriend.

By the time 24 came it was clear the front section and the crown were still thinning. It was clear if I didn't do something I was going to have a definate horseshoe at the front. My rear wasn't as bad as it felt. Nobody ever commented and my girlfriend was convinced my hair was fine at the back. Using two mirrors I could tell it was thinner, but nothing to worry about. However, the front was getting to me.

Through lack ok knowledge and not knowing where to turn, infact I was too scared to even google hair loss, I saw an advert for the advanced hair studio. They set me on their "Fitness Program" which involved weakly Laser and their own 5% minoxidil and Azelaic Acid solution. I also bought there Sereno shampoo and lotion. Halfway through my treatment their laser machine was replaced with a more powerful unit. Its fair to say I made progress with my hair. In fact people commented. The rear really started to thicken up, the front did the same. I sprouted lots of white down hair but it wouldn't grow anymore than that. The exitsting hair started to thicken round the front but my hair line wasn't rounding or improving.

After my laser treatment stopped I carried on taking minoxidil, but moved to regaine extra strength 5% (AHS minoxidil was £30 a month!!! $60 + USD). In total I've been on some kind of minoxidil for over 2 years now. It was about 4 or 5 months after my laser treatment stopped I noticed my hair was starting to thin again. About a year ago I bought a Laser 9 hair brush, to be honest it didn't work, but I didn't use it as much as stated. I was very unsure about the device too. I felt no sensation whatsoever, compared to the AHS laser machine which would make my head tingle massively during treatment. It was like you could fell the growth, more likely the heat. In the last 6 months my receeding hairline has really started to take over. It was clear that my front section of my hair was or would eventually completely detatch from the rest of my hair.

About 6 weeks ago I bought Revivogen shampoo to compliment my treatments, I always take lots of vits, minerals, omega, fish oils etc anyway so I wanted something else to help boost or maintain hair. I was using it morning and night and leaving it on my head for 3 or 4 minutes at a time. To start with I noticed a tingling sensation which I thought must be good. After a week the sensation had gone to a pain with an itchy and inflamed scalp. My girlfriend was alarmed at the state of my hair, she believe it had noticeably thinned in just 2 to 3 weeks. I thought the same but, a hairloss sufferer always does. It wasn't till she mention it I realised what had happened. I had shed all thining hair and what was good hair was not falling out. I stopped using the stuff straight away.

1 month ago I sourced Proscar from a UK GP. I have been taking 1.25mg a day for a month along with my minoxidil 5% twice a day and my vits. At present I haven't noticed anything as its too early to tell. I have some rogaine foam on order which I will use instead of the regaine solution. Last week I added Nic shampoo (from boots) to my regieme.

I decided I was not getting on with my life because of my hair and Sunday night after a few too many beers shaved my head. It looks a bit funny, with white bits everywhere, it also appears to make me look more receeded, but its a huge weight off my shoulders.

Here are some pics. Hopefully after month 3 I will have noticed some regrowth.

Shaved

image1481vn1.jpg

image149ol3.jpg

4 Days growth

image157pd8.jpg

image154gn5.jpg

image152bh7.jpg

2 Days Growth

image151pn8.jpg

Before

Half hour before I shaved it; alcohol, kebab and chilli induced decision. lol

23092007yt2.jpg

I'm off to shave it again now, or should I say no blade on the clippers. My girlfriend prefers it like that, she reckons it hides my hairline better.

Please leave me some feed back guys, positive, negative, or just realistic. Am I waisting my time with finasteride, or is it worth a shot?

Cheers

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: ginger-uk - 26 and now Shaved Off!

why is the front of your head so red?

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score

lol, not really the input I was after. ha ha

I'd been playing field hockey all day and got sun burnt. I've flaked since then as you can see from the 4 days growth. The shaved photos were taken Sunday, the others were earlier today.

What do you think to my chances of any regrowth? :dunno:

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score

Its hard to just see and predict whether you're a good candidate for finasteride.
The key is to try it...and see it for yourself.

Your hair is not that bad. Its just the receding hairline?

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score

Cheers for the reply pal. I'd hate to think I was wasting my time.

The receeding got really bad of late, I am hoping finasteride can help round the hairline and possibly fill into the gaps to some extent.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score

mate you look awesome with a shaved head. haha you bastard.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score

looks class i reckon! can't predict how you'll get on with finasteride really but good luck to you!

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score

WOW, cheers people I really wasn't expecting any positives. lol

The majority of my mates have been roasting me, although all the girls I know have said how much they like it. I just want to round the front and maintain what I have. At this length anything else doesn't really matter. :)

I'll keep the thread updated with pics month by month. I really didn't want to take pics, but now I've done it its not that painful. Plus I get a god indication of progress, if there is any.

Cheers again.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

you look good with the shaved head man, girls dig it.

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score

Cheers bro, a part from I appear to have a second chin lol.

I bloody hate photos. :freak:

Updates to follow. :smack:

Hans Gruber

Reaction score

stay on the proscar for a year and use rogaine foam too for a much better chance of regrowth

good luck ,and if it doesnt work no worries you suit how ya got it now :)

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: ginger-uk - (26 and now Shaved Off!)

Thats the plan. I've read so many mixed reviews about the other treatments so I am going to stick to the big 3 and vits. I'll maintain a healthy lifestyle and see how I do.

Thanks again.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

thats the great attitude my friend

I hope you do well in everything in your life!

bustabucket

Established Member
Reaction score

You do look really good with a shaved head. Most gingers don't but you are lucky, you can pull it off!

RaginDemon

Reaction score

sorry to sound like a noob

but what is a ginger? lol

dr_jekyll

Established Member
Reaction score

Cheers, I am using liquid at the minute. I am waiting on a delivery of foam though. So I am soon to be making the switch.

Hey G

Where are you getting you foam from - I have 2 months supply of liquid left - Im thinking about switching to foam, I think it will be easier to apply when my hair is longer

Cheers for your input on my thread btw and good luck with yours!

Dr J

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score

Just thought i'd chime the f*** in and say you look good with a shaved/buzzed head. You're lucky. Haha it's funny that you're friends are being dicks about it, they are probs just jealous.

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks again, there are always going to be people that like it and those that don't. I must admit I have left it for 5 days now and it looks thinner. I think its an awkward length, so I am going to buzz it twice a week until, unless I see an improvement.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

true friends dont joke about sh*t like that...thats just wrong.