Green Tea Extract

CCS

Reaction score
I just want to find an effective long term vehicle that does not have alcohol in it. linoleic acid and oleic acid are on my list, but I don't know if they will dissolve water soluble stuff like GTE. I'll find out soon. Glycerol is an option, though it is VERY greasy. I just don't know if PPG is bad. It can be swallowed safely, but there is no long term drinking data like there is with ethanol.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I just want to find an effective long term vehicle that does not have alcohol in it. linoleic acid and oleic acid are on my list, but I don't know if they will dissolve water soluble stuff like GTE. I'll find out soon. Glycerol is an option, though it is VERY greasy. I just don't know if PPG is bad. It can be swallowed safely, but there is no long term drinking data like there is with ethanol.

Why not use water?

CCS

Reaction score
water sounds good. I just want to make sure it gives good penetration, and there are no issues with it evaporating to fast.

Felk

Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
I didn't realize he was so stingy.

For one hundred bucks a month you should be able to slather your head in it.

Damn straight. If that were the case, i wouldn't use anything else.

You can get the liquid version which is twice the volume, though it's not as strong apparently. If you're a diffuse thinner, i'd go with this though. Using 1ml a day it would be $50 a month. It would also replace one of your minoxidil applications.

Angie #7

Reaction score
topical finasteride

I was looking at a few sites and came across a topical finasteride, according to the site it has none of the side effects of propecia and is suppose to be a powerful dht blocker here is the sitehttp://www.hairsite2.com/waseda/ant ... m/main.htm
what do you think of adding this in addition to the minoxidil? they also talk about adding different agents to the cream.

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
would mixing Green tea extract into apple poly spray bottle would be ok then? there is some acohol in it as I read the label. would it work?
That way I would get regrowth and dht bloker in one

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
GTE can be taken orally in capsules but everyone is talking about topical applications. Is this because it would be too dilute in the system to be of use if swallowed or for another reason?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Another study bryan posted said that oleic acid does inhibit the androgen receptor, and he said it is possible the other fatty acids do too. That contradicts this study. Any explanation, Bryan?

I was a little overly cautious in that old post from alt.baldspot, when I said that fatty acids have "no effect whatsoever" on androgen receptors. I was just repeating what the authors said in their 1997 study. Even though they did find an average of about a 25% reduction of the DHT-stimulated pigmented macule growth as a result of the topical application of GLA, it didn't meet statistical significance (5% or better), due to the relatively small number of animals tested. So I was playing it a little safe and downplaying the possibility of any effect on androgen receptors. It was AFTER that, that I read more studies on fatty acids and androgens. If I were to write that article today, I'd make some significant changes to the text! :wink:

BTW, I should emphasize AGAIN, as I did before, that the other study on the suppressive effect of oleic acid on androgens not only was just an in vitro study, it also used a cell-free system (they centrifuged the hell out of minced prostate cells, separating the cytoplasm with its androgen receptors), so don't get your hopes up that the simple topical application of oleic acid to your skin or scalp will produce the same dramatic ~70% or so inhibition that they got in that one experiment. That was performed under very specialized conditions.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Cassin said:
alt.baldspot is a treasure trove of info until you run into the "human" named Ernie.

yeah i just asked bryan who he is cause he has 90% of the posts there. and what's up with all the other primeaus named bertha and doctor primeau etc? lol are they all him?

No, Ernie only posts under his own name. But a few other people mock him by posting as his brother "Bert", or whatever. Some also post outrageous things using HIS name, too, just to piss him off. It's all quite juvenile...

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bryan posted a study that showed that oleic acid reduced hampster flank organ size by 30%.

Actually, in the 1997 study, topical oleic acid produced a 43% inhibition. However, I want to emphasize (again) that it was the size and growth of the pigmented macules that was measured. That ought to be roughly commensurate to the size and growth of the flank organ itself, but I mention it just for the sake of accuracy.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The study was probably with 100% oleic acid, but in an alcohol vehicle. I don't think the alcohol is necessary, though there is a small chance it is.

And that's a very interesting issue. As you saw in that patent experiment where Liang and Liao applied GLA to the forehead of the human test subject, they apparently applied the pure liquid, with no alcoholic vehicle. It's not that surprising, since a pure fatty acid ought to permeate the skin pretty well. At least, one would think.

I'm just hoping Bryan will reply and tell us if the green tea extract is likely to be as good as RU, and if we can skip the expensive RU.

I know that the 97% figure for the EGCG in that 2001 study I was discussing is shocking as hell, but I really don't know what to make of it. I'd have to see further corroboration for that finding before I could believe that it was anywhere nearly as effective as RU58841. Furthermore, keep in mind that Liang & Liao's own testing (in that same patent) showed that topical EGCG in an ethanol vehicle was effective at reducing sebum reduction in that same human test subject, but it wasn't as effective as topical GLA.

At the very least, EGCG (or green-tea extracts, to be more precise) is relatively inexpensive and easy to get, so I certainly don't see anything wrong with experimenting with it, or even including it as part of a more comprehensive antiandrogenic program.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
lordhair said:
This is really interesting

Bryan/Old Baldy do you think that a green tea cream would be an effective anti-androgen?

It ought to work. I used to have a study on my computer (until my hard drive crashed and I lost it completely) that found that EGCG in a cream vehicle was effective at getting into cells and protecting them from certain negative effects of solar radiation. Seems like it might work as an antiandrogen/5a-reductase inhibitor, too.

Bryan

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend where to get the green tea extract?

And how should I try using it?

I guess I have to mix it with something ?

Thanks!

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
skinactives.com has egcg standardized green tea extract. My big question now is... what to mix it with. I'm thinking water and proplyene glycol at the moment, but what's this about ethanol?

CCS

Reaction score
i'd rather not buy ethanol if i don't have to, but I think it might be worth adding just in case it helps and the ppg is not enough.

GTE is a commodity. no one would bother faking it. you can buy it anywhere you want online.

i'm going to put it in my sun screan, with some GSE as well. and maybe some borage seed oil to keep it all from caking up.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Is taking a GTE capsule orally of much benefit or should it be topical. One place is selling GTE with liposome as a topical. College, I notice you drink the tea and I think also take it topically.

Felk

Reaction score
Bryan said:
At the very least, EGCG (or green-tea extracts, to be more precise) is relatively inexpensive and easy to get, so I certainly don't see anything wrong with experimenting with it, or even including it as part of a more comprehensive antiandrogenic program.

Bryan

That's the way I'd consider using it - combined in a cream with other ingredients such as spironolactone, etc.