I feel like I am made of nothing but bad genetics.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Comparing yourself against others is a sure fire way to make yourself miserable, as there is always someone better.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
I was born with 5 fingers but the thumb was flawed (didn't develop) and had to be surgered off. That's how it happened.
That is bad luck then.

Although it's much better you have 4 fingers like that than to have lost one in a horrific accident.

ali777

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Comparing yourself against others is a sure fire way to make yourself miserable, as there is always someone better.

Exactly... The worst part is that the reference points we use to compare ourselves are just not realistic. It's a media and consumerism driven world, where we are sold images of "perfect people" and we expect to be able to have the same life style with little or no effort. Basically, we have unrealistic expectations of life.

When we can't meet our expectations, the difference with reality is so huge that we get depressed for being extremely inadequate and we feel like losers. I'm pretty sure most of the people in this forum are pretty normal but they/we just have very low image of ourselves.

I guess the solution is to have "realistic" expectations and to ignore the perfection media is selling.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think so, when you have rich western women dying from Anorexia, which i'm sure could not exist in a poor society, you know the media has a lot to answer for.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Danny DeVito was the result of the shitty left over genes from Arnold in Twins.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Danny Devito is an interesting case, he's made money and got famous out of his lets say less than favourable genetics....

I know I'm going to get severely flamed for saying this but what the heck .... :whistle:

I would bet that if he was being honest Danny Devito would prefer to give up his money to have lived life as a 6' tall handsome nw1.
The feelings of physical inadequacy he must have felt especialy as a young man must have been pretty bad.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure he would love to be in a position where he didn't have to have sex with that rude waitress from Cheers every night.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Danny Devito is an interesting case, he's made money and got famous out of his lets say less than favourable genetics....

I know I'm going to get severely flamed for saying this but what the heck .... :whistle:

I would bet that if he was being honest Danny Devito would prefer to give up his money to have lived life as a 6' tall handsome nw1.
The feelings of physical inadequacy he must have felt especialy as a young man must have been pretty bad.

I'm not so sure about that. He's a beloved public figure now - quite possibly BECAUSE of his small stature/baldness, and not in spite of it. Plus, he's a good actor, and he's on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is probably the funniest show in history.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
I'm not so sure about that. He's a beloved public figure now - quite possibly BECAUSE of his small stature/baldness, and not in spite of it. Plus, he's a good actor, and he's on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is probably the funniest show in history.

Oh definatley because of it, and I think that he's probably in a rare catagory of people who would use it to be successful rather try to hide it. But look at his situation he's about 5'2" nw6 and overweight. Maybe if he was 5'6" and nw4 he'd be trying to improve himself, working out ect.

With his situation he'll always get work acting in comedic or stooge roles. but You can imagine that he must have had a hard time starring alongside leading men and wishing he could experience their situation.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Some people may look flawless genetically on the outside but they may have flaws on the inside. I have seen many genetically blessed men and women who are bipolar or have severe diabetes or medical problems. No one is perfect. However, if you have enough intelligence and confidence to know you are "attractive even with your flaws", you will be able to attract many attractive women. But alot of hot women have emotional baggage so what appears nice on the outside may not on the inside. Growing up, I was always told I looked like a movie star or soap opera star. Even now, I still hear it once in a while. However, I had the intelligence but no confidence and low self esteem so I lost out alot. Now, I am realizing its never too late to get that confidence and change my life. I am working on it very hard. You people need to do the same because unless you change your negative attitudes about yourself, your life will always seem miserable and alone. And trust me as you get older, and your body ages, it gets even harder to accept new flaws.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
s.a.f said:

A good sense of humour goes a long way.

s.a.f

Reaction score
But as we've mentioned before some people hide their real feelings behind humour.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. There is worse things to hide your real emotions behind.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Thickandthin said:

Oh definatley because of it, and I think that he's probably in a rare catagory of people who would use it to be successful rather try to hide it. But look at his situation he's about 5'2" nw6 and overweight. Maybe if he was 5'6" and nw4 he'd be trying to improve himself, working out ect.

With his situation he'll always get work acting in comedic or stooge roles. but You can imagine that he must have had a hard time starring alongside leading men and wishing he could experience their situation.

That is very true.

DeVito really can't pull off a dramatic role, nor ever be taken seriously as a romantic lead. While that may seem insignificant to his career (since he's a great character actor), it says a lot about people's perceptions of him and what a leading man should be.

There's no doubt he's been envious of his costars before, but I doubt at this point in his life he'd change it to be tall, have hair, but be anonymous.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Here's my list (this is what happens when the natural selection is stopped by the highly developed society):
1) flat feet, causing bad backaches;
2) balding;
3) horrible teeth, that can't be fixed into a beautiful smile (I look like a teethless balding old man);
4) ugly face (low cheekbones, no nape, almost shapeless);
5) wrinkles;
6) dark circles under eyes;
7) bad smell coming out from nose -- no intimacy at all with girls (that came from an accident, though, where I crushed my nose and had it built up again; had general anesthetic also, which is still causing very bad memory loss);
8) small growth;
9) hairy body;
10) and every men thinks he has a small penis :D, so I can't go without mentioning it;
11) thin body;
12) crooked legs;
13) horrible eyesight;
14) sensitivity to the sun, so I can never get a beautiful tan (I will have very ugly white circles on my face, the hugest on my forehead -- looks very bad).

Can anyone beat this?

I'm pretty sure my life ends with a suicide, but at the moment I'm still trying to cope with it: I still have time -- only 17 years old :).

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
Here's my list (this is what happens when the natural selection is stopped by the highly developed society):
2) balding;
3) horrible teeth, that can't be fixed into a beautiful smile (I look like a teethless balding old man);
5) wrinkles;
7) bad smell coming out from nose -- no intimacy at all with girls (that came from an accident, though, where I crushed my nose and had it built up again; had general anesthetic also, which is still causing very bad memory loss);
8) small growth;
9) hairy body;
10) and every men thinks he has a small penis :D, so I can't go without mentioning it;
11) thin body;
12) crooked legs;
13) horrible eyesight;
14) sensitivity to the sun, so I can never get a beautiful tan (I will have very ugly white circles on my face, the hugest on my forehead -- looks very bad).

Can anyone beat this?

I'm pretty sure my life ends with a suicide, but at the moment I'm still trying to cope with it: I still have time -- only 17 years old :).

This guy is lying man hahaha are you purposely sent here to make people feel better about themselves???

s.a.f

Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
Here's my list (this is what happens when the natural selection is stopped by the highly developed society)

Its not just developed nations you'll find all the conditions you mentioned in third world countries aswell.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
2) balding;
5) wrinkles;
8) small growth;
9) hairy body;
11) thin body;
12) crooked legs;
13) horrible eyesight;

Can anyone beat this?

Half of your list is things you can change. Wrinkles at 17? This is unacceptable (and I doubt it is bad genetics). Exercise your face/body. Quit smoking. Stop eating junk. Shave/wax if you dont like your bodyhair (being hairy is not bad genetics either btw). Don't like being thin? Exercise. Is sitting all day eating spaghetti bad genetics?

It seems that some here enjoy piling their flaws up. Don't let me take that away from you.

ali777

Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
2) balding;
5) wrinkles;
8) small growth;
9) hairy body;
11) thin body;
12) crooked legs;
13) horrible eyesight;

Can anyone beat this?

I agree that some of those items are for you to work on...

I knew somebody who had some of those features. He was determined to make something of himself and he was very successful in life. If you have weaknesses, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with your life!!!

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It's not a crime to be born with bad genetics....yet.