Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[attachment=1:dt6lx38b]488611718_487efd2d1f.jpg[/attachment:dt6lx38b]
[attachment=0:dt6lx38b]Marine_in_wheelchair.jpg[/attachment:dt6lx38b]

That top picture is called "marine wedding", and was featured in the new york times a couple of years ago. Bringing something like that up in a hair loss discussion is... ridiculous.
That guy lost his entire face. I don't know if you know the story, but he was trapped in a tank that went over one of the newer IED's in Iraq. The more dangerous ones. His face literally melted off. Thats a pain that maybe 1% of the population can relate to. Maybe. It's harder than anything 99.999999% of people will ever deal with.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting something, but I would stay away from making comparisons like that.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="s.a.f":1amdsejd][attachment=1:1amdsejd]488611718_487efd2d1f.jpg[/attachment:1amdsejd]
[attachment=0:1amdsejd]Marine_in_wheelchair.jpg[/attachment:1amdsejd]

You missed my point here, :shakehead: I'm not talking about them having partners, obviously its highly likely that if the burnt guy had'nt already been with that girl before hand she probably would'nt have hooked up with him.

My point was that these guys have more than a big nose or deep voice to worry about and they're getting on with life and building a future for themselves. If they can deal with their massive burdens then the OP should re-evaluate his situation and his thoughts about suicide, count himself lucky he's not in their shoes.[/quote:1amdsejd]

Those guys were also strong enough emotionally to join the US MARINES AND GO TO WAR IN IRAQ. That is totally exceptional and cannot be understated.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
s.a.f said:
[attachment=1:3g8smbbm]488611718_487efd2d1f.jpg[/attachment:3g8smbbm]
[attachment=0:3g8smbbm]Marine_in_wheelchair.jpg[/attachment:3g8smbbm]

That top picture is called "marine wedding", and was featured in the new york times a couple of years ago. Bringing something like that up in a hair loss discussion is... ridiculous.
That guy lost his entire face. I don't know if you know the story, but he was trapped in a tank that went over one of the newer IED's in Iraq. The more dangerous ones. His face literally melted off. Thats a pain that maybe 1% of the population can relate to. Maybe. It's harder than anything 99.999999% of people will ever deal with.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting something, but I would stay away from making comparisons like that.

His wife left him recently, BTW.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
So sad. Confirms the pessimistic view that looks DO matter. This guy volunteered to go into service. He knew what he was getting into and although what he has is far worse than hair loss, none of us baldies volunteered to loose our hair. She looked miserable in that wedding picture btw.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
ClayShaw said:
s.a.f said:
[attachment=1:2g88su8v]488611718_487efd2d1f.jpg[/attachment:2g88su8v]
[attachment=0:2g88su8v]Marine_in_wheelchair.jpg[/attachment:2g88su8v]

His wife left him recently, BTW.

Wow.... where did you hear that? Do you know him?
I think that combat does more to someone than even horrible physical injuries like that. I have never served...
I just got done watching HBO's Generation Kill. On the last DVD, they have a roundtable discussion with the real marines featured in the book/miniseries. Some of them talk about the psychological effects of being taught to kill, and how they feel like they left a part of themselves in Iraq/Afghanistan. So the guy in the picture may have emotional problems beyond his injuries.

s.a.f

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
s.a.f said:
[attachment=1:2tkmot3r]488611718_487efd2d1f.jpg[/attachment:2tkmot3r]
[attachment=0:2tkmot3r]Marine_in_wheelchair.jpg[/attachment:2tkmot3r]

It was'nt meant to have anything to do with hairloss it was to do with the OP's views that he had enough reasons to commit suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.