It's what you make of it

Boondock

Reaction score
Hey chaps,

Don't get me wrong on this post. I'm one of the most miserable sods out there when it comes to hairloss. I've spent days, even whole weeks, panicking, obsessing, thinking my life is over, and generally getting down. I'm not some positive, happy-go-lucky, "it's no big deal" type of preacher. In many ways, I'm making this post to convince myself as much as I'm trying to convince any of you.

But I want to be realistic about this, because I genuinely believe what I'm about to say has some truth in it. When you look at it rationally, hairloss doesn't have to have the major affect on us that it's having. It affects us largely because of our reaction to it, not because of the hairloss itself.

Why do I say this? There are a bunch of reasons:

--- People don't notice it as much as you do. You might think they do, but they're not obsessively scanning each hairline they see. It'll just blend into the overall image of your face, and if it won't make you look better, it certainly won't be the first thing everyone notices about you or the dominant thing they notice about you. Only people with male pattern baldness judge people by their hairlines first, and everything else second, because we have a distorted mindset as a result of our condition.

--- People don't care as much as we think they do. Honestly, there are so many people who couldn't give a damn that you're losing your hair, and really don't think it's much of a big deal.

--- You can still get women. Ever seen a guy with a receding hairline with a hot chick? I have, plenty of times. In fact, plenty of bald guys too. It's also true that Neil Strauss, who a lot of people have heard of, managed to get a crazy number of women despite being bald, short, and skinny. I'm not saying that it won't affect your chances with women, but in and of itself hairloss won't completely destroy your success with women.

--- You can still get a job. It might affect your chances in a job interview, but not by a bigger factor than you can accomodate for. In most professions, people want someone who can do the job best, not someone who has a full head of hair. Is you've got something to offer a company, you'll be fine.

--- It doesn't matter what other people say. People may make comments. In fact, they'll probably be the peope your closest friends with. It's no big deal. If your buddies are making jokes about it, that's because that's what buddies do. It doesn't mean they actually think any less of you, that's just your interpretation of it.

Now I'm not saying that you'll not be affected in any area of your life. I'm just saying it's not the big deal that we think it is. I'd say that, taken together, losing your hair might reduce your chances in career, women, having fun and so on by about 25%. I know it's a bit silly to put a figure on things like this, but let's go with it for a moment.

Now not only is 25% not the end of the world, but you can make it up in other areas. Get a good style, get a tan, work out, develop your social skills, build up your skillset for your next career, work harder, try harder - whatever. It's possible to make most of the deficit back just with other stuff you're doing in your life.

In addition to all of this, there are treatments to slow the loss now, and perhaps in 5-6 years treatments that could replace the loss entirely. Which is awesome, and we're really lucky to have that somewhere on the horizon.

Am I saying that it doesn't matter? Of course not. And does it make precise sense to put percentages to this stuff? Definitely not either.

But what I do think is true, and the point I'm trying to make, is that the extent to which some of us let hairloss affect us has nothing to do with the hairloss in itself. For some of us it takes away 75% of our quality of life. And yet for others in the world, it does no such thing. Why is that?

Ultimately, you've got to change what you can, and define your success not only in terms of how much hair you can retain, but how much you can progress in your life inspite of it. Hairloss is largely out of our control. But how much we let it affect us is something we can take charge of.

IBM

Reaction score
Unfortunately most baldies fall into this category:

BAFC - Below Average Frustrated chump... macaque bah

japanese-macaque-hotspring.jpg

Boondock

Reaction score
I'm a Norwood 2/3, although I sometimes think it's worse than that.

I'm not denying that it's worse for people who are further progressed than that. Of course it is. What I am saying is that it's possible to take some power back and make a less negative situation out of this.

I know a guy who's 19, completely bald, shaved it off about half a year ago, and gets along fine. Has a hot girlfriend, a good social circle, and is doing alright. And he's not the kind of person who you'd say "bald suits you"; in fact, he looks like a complete egghead. Perhaps he'd have an even hotter girlfriend, and an even bigger circle of friends, if he still had his hair. But I'd say the affect on his life is proportional to the difference that baldness has actually made, i.e. he doesn't let it bother him.

I also know some people who are better off hair-wise, but who become recluses because of the whole ordeal. I've ended up in a pretty bad way myself a couple of times.

So it stands to reason, and seems to make sense to me, that there's more going on than just the hairloss itself. Some people get by OK with it, and others take a big hit from it. This shows that there's more going on than just the hairloss itself here.

Now I know it's easy to stand back and say that, and I know a lot of people will think I'm just talking out of my arse, but I genuinely think it's important to talk about this side of things. One side - which is important - is fighting the hairloss itself. The other, which is less talked about, is actually minimizing the affect it has on you. You've got to control what you can. Hairloss might not be something we can completely stop, but what we can do is take power back in our lives and take action to achieve our goals as much as possible regardless.

I guess what I'm trying to say can be summed up in this: Your success isn't just how much you regrow, but how much you manage to live a good and happy life in spite of the condition. And I genuinely believe that we do have some control over the latter.

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score
lol some people get pissed off when guys with lower nws preach about how they overcame hairloss, when their own is really not that bad.

so good luck!

Boondock

Reaction score
Well that's fair enough, and anyone who wants to get pissed off is more than welcome to get pissed off. I'm actually not preaching, and I said at the beginning that I'm writing this as much to convince myself as I am to convince anyone else, because I'm trying to change my own attitude as I go along.

I just think people should ask themselves whether they think the affect this has had on them is just because of the hairloss itself, or partly also because of their reaction to it. And it's a bit of both, there's no reason not to try and change our attitude towards it as well as fighting the hairloss itself. That's all I'm saying, and I know it's easier said than done, but there's a lot of negativity in this section and I just wanted to highlight something positive we can do.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Boondock, very good post. You definitely have a great perspective on the hair loss situation.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not another one of these posts!! lol. its crazy.

If hair loss isnt such a biggie then why are you planning to get a hair transplant in 3-4 years as said in your story few days ago. And you said you were a nw4 lol.

These posts need to stop cause its the same sh*t every day. Its always the guys that are crying bout hair shedding like a week later as well.

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Obsidian

Reaction score
Someone needs to post in the 'I don't enjoy life' thread so then this thread will be below it and it will be like a conversation.

Boondock

Reaction score
I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive. It's possible to want to try and fix your hair, but at the same time to try and adapt your situation to cope with the loss. It's not a black and white thing.

If you were skinny and trying to put on muscle, you wouldn't just put your life on hold until you were 4 stone heavier. You've got to attack on all fronts, and part of that is actually taking positive steps to improve your overall life situation as well as fixing your hair.

And I totally expect to get flamed for making this thread, but I just needed to vent this positivity :)

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
If you were skinny and trying to put on muscle, you wouldn't just put your life on hold until you were 4 stone heavier.

Have you heard of CCS??

-----------------------------------------------------

Dude no offense but threads like this should only be made by nw4+ in my opinion. To the world your still a guy with good hair. I hope though that you have the same attitude when your hair actually does reach a nw4+

but in the mean time...this aint nowhere near

file.php

cuebald

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like the above "It's not so bad... things could be worse"
Other times I slump majorly and I have trouble getting out of bed, which is when I get self-destructive.

It isn't always so easy trying to look on the "bright side" when even the act of trying to look on the bright side becomes a comedy in my brain's view. I was at a pub today getting served for a pint of cola at a pretty empty bar (drink and me doesn't go down so well)
the manager shouted to the barmaid "Are you OK over there <girls's name, I forget>" ?
She said yes and the other two barmaids standing at the end were staring at me and talking quietly to themselves.
I felt like some kind of freak, like the Elephant man had walked in, or that I was totally naked or something.
UM is right, it isn't all in our heads.
I was dressed normally, my fly wasn't undone, I didn't have bird sh*t on my shoulder, etc...

Boondock

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not a problem at all - that's not my experience. And I'm not denying it's harder when you get to Norwood 4 or 5 - of course it is. I'm also not saying it's easy to look on the bright side. It's not a question of saying to yourself, "great, I'm going to go out and be confident now!" Of course not.

What is the case, though, is that we have a degree of control over how we react to this. If someone calls you up asking if you wanna go out, and you're not sure you feel up to it, it's your decision what to do. If you're worried about applying for a job interview because of how you look, it's your decision whether you do it or not.

It's not easy, and it's not going to turn your situation around, but I think it's important to point out that you can still exert control over your life and make the most of your situation. I know that's true, because people do it. Hell, I even know a girl who went bald (alopecia areata) when she was 16, and she's my age now and doing great. Not just coping, but doing great. It could so easily have turned out differently.

We're not in a great situation, but we're not powerless either. You've gotta change what you can.

barcafan

Reaction score
cuebald said:
Sometimes I feel like the above "It's not so bad... things could be worse"
Other times I slump majorly and I have trouble getting out of bed, which is when I get self-destructive.

It isn't always so easy trying to look on the "bright side" when even the act of trying to look on the bright side becomes a comedy in my brain's view. I was at a pub today getting served for a pint of cola at a pretty empty bar (drink and me doesn't go down so well)
the manager shouted to the barmaid "Are you OK over there <girls's name, I forget>" ?
She said yes and the other two barmaids standing at the end were staring at me and talking quietly to themselves.
I felt like some kind of freak, like the Elephant man had walked in, or that I was totally naked or something.
UM is right, it isn't all in our heads.
I was dressed normally, my fly wasn't undone, I didn't have bird sh*t on my shoulder, etc...

How do you know they were talking sh*t about you?

Seriously i hear all these people getting this mental abuse and just take it. If anyone talks sh*t about me where i can hear it (And they have), i would confront and possibly go apeshit on them. 95% dont walk the walk after you go up to them. You teach an a**h** this lesson one time, they'll never do it again to anybody else, they do it because they get away with it.

I think of it this way: if people dont want to get into an altercation, they should just watch their mouths. When i grew up this was basically a rule.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
The whole "It's what you make of it" outlook will change when (and if) you reach NW4 and beyond - trust me.

It's a whole different world than NW2/3.

This is what I worry about. Im 20. In the region of an nw2-nw3. Right now, most days I can get out of bed and it doesnt bother me too much. Some days are worse obvoisly and overall it has reduced my confidence.. But each day I can look at myself and love myself. I still have something that frames my face, even if its not perfect nw1 its something.

But I jsut think..f***.. In a few years, 5 or 10, I will probably be completely bald. And as you say Dudemon, that will be a whole different world.

ali777

Reaction score
IBM said:
Unfortunately most baldies fall into this category:

BAFC - Below Average Frustrated chump... macaque bah

japanese-macaque-hotspring.jpg

That's what you see when you look at the mirror, but most of us don't see the same :jackit:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying Boon about changing what you can instead of lamenting over what can't be helped. Perhaps doing all those things will take the edge off the physical/psychological aspects of going bald, but in most guys cases it won't completely solve the problem. Your main point that we cannot control whatever misfortunes befall us, but we can control how we react/respond to those misfortunes is very profound indeed. The real test is when you cross that line into baldness yourself and are confronted with these issues:
First-unless you haven't a grain of vanity in you or you are lucky enough to pull of the bald look, chances are you will be deeply affected by that stranger staring back at you in the mirror. You will hate the way you look and although you may learn to tolerate it over time, many of us can't get over what going bald has done to our physical identity. This is a very personal issue after all.
Second-dealing with other people's reactions to your baldness. Let there be no mistake about it, when you go bald there will be people who will disrespect you. Your buddies will probably poke fun of you in good spirit or maybe shun you altogether (happened before) but when you get stares and comments from random strangers frequently enough, it is very hard to not think there is something wrong with you. I know we like to act tough and say they don't care what people think but the fact remains that we humans are social creatures and need to feel accepted as an integral piece of our well being. It is true that there are many people out there who are indifferent, but you aren't going to notice those people are you? You are going to remember the ones who pointed and laughed or gagged at the sight of you. Confidence or lack thereof is something that is fostered from life experience. Getting teased/rejected by women on a consistent basis is devastating for most men and makes it downright impossible to conjure up confidence.
Third-contending with a media driven culture that brainwashes everyone into thinking that bald people are inferior, serving as a constant reminder and reinforcing this idea that there is something wrong with you.
So yes, there is something to be said for HOW we respond to our baldness but I hope you can see that when it happens to YOU, taking the high road and overcoming these obstacles is easier said than done.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
You can overcome your problems with the right attitude. Self-pity and low self-esteem is unattractive to most women, with or without hair.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I'm just sick of nw2s telling me its not so bad being bald. WHAT THE F-UCK DO YOU KNOW ABOUT IT? -NOTHING, so stop making patronizing threads like this until you are nw4+ (like IWP said). You don't see SAF or Dudemon or HatPrisoner telling everyone that being bald isn't half bad and how confidence is more important, because they've been there and know first hand that acting confident isn't going to make some girl who would otherwise be disgusted with you just all of a sudden find you attractive-BULLSHIT!

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Uman the only way I overcame my balding is by just accepting it and moving on. Im getting more attention now than I did before I started losing my hair so it really can't matter that much.