IWANTPERFECTION'S STORY 23

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Re: IWANTPERFECTION'S STORY- NEW PIC UPDATE PG4!

Its good because those hairs are weak ones that will come back stronger from minoxidil.
IWP, I agree with ClayShaw about you having a cowlick in the back but my brother had the same thing and we used to always say he was thinning there and he reponded "that is just a cowlick". He was right for 10 to 15 years but then it started to really thin and bald. If he would have taken Propecia back then, he might not have lost his crown. If I was in your shoes, I would ask your doctor to administer the hdx test to see if you are high risk for balding. If you find out you are fine, I would just drop Propecia and stick with minoxidil and use Nano shampoo and conditioner. Even Dr Rassman is going to recommend his patients to take the test. I am seriously going to get tested because I would love to ditch some of my treatments if I am not at high risk.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

DoctorHouse said:
Its good because those hairs are weak ones that will come back stronger from minoxidil.
IWP, I agree with ClayShaw about you having a cowlick in the back but my brother had the same thing and we used to always say he was thinning there and he reponded "that is just a cowlick". He was right for 10 to 15 years but then it started to really thin and bald. If he would have taken Propecia back then, he might not have lost his crown. If I was in your shoes, I would ask your doctor to administer the hdx test to see if you are high risk for balding. If you find out you are fine, I would just drop Propecia and stick with minoxidil and use Nano shampoo and conditioner. Even Dr Rassman is going to recommend his patients to take the test. I am seriously going to get tested because I would love to ditch some of my treatments if I am not at high risk.

I think the test is to determine those at risk for premature balding. Dr. House, if I remember correctly, you're in your 40's, so by nature you're at risk for balding.
The only way to determine (and I'm not sure I trust this 100%) if you're balding is to do a miniaturization test. It can be done with a $100 USB microscope.
IWP, I don't think its good or bad. You really can't see miniaturization with your eyes, at least not until its very significant, but at that point you'd see bald spots anyways. Remember, everyone loses some hair everyday. The fact that you're seeing hair in the sink is completely normal. If you haven't had a miniaturization study done by a professional, I would drop Propecia until you do so. You never want to take any drugs (non-recreational, anyways) that you don't need to. Propecia messes with your body's production of testosterone, and if you can avoid taking it, you should. I'm not saying its bad, but if you don't need it, don't take it, and to my eyes, you don't need it. Your hairline is still round. Your temples are not yet recessed. If you see thinning in your temples, chances are you're developing a mature hairline.

I just looked at the pictures again. Unless a professional has told you you're balding, I don't think you are. Not to say you won't, if I remember correctly you said your moms dad was bald... But it doesn't look like you're balding now. You could lose a decent amount of hair at the sides of your hairline and it would be normal. You absolutely do not have a mature hairline.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Its not normal to see 30 odd hairs though. I know that as before 19 i would have to literally pull a hair out to get one.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

iwantperfection said:
Its not normal to see 30 odd hairs though. I know that as before 19 i would have to literally pull a hair out to get one.

Maybe, maybe not. It is normal to lose up to 150 a day, so 30 is obviously not a ton on a daily basis. 30 in one shot, brushing your hair might be a lot.
I guess, in the end, the only thing you can do is either go to a professional (dermatologist), continue with your treatment, or do a self miniaturization study. I recommend the self miniaturization study. It can be done for about $100 (US), which, at least here, is less than the cost of a visit to a cosmetic dermatologist. You need a USB microscope. Amazon sells one for about $100.
http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-44300-H ... 806&sr=8-3

Be warned, that microscope can show you things you don't want to see. It showed me I'm headed for an NW7. But at least you know for sure.

I still don't think you're balding.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Here's the same post in the correct thread.
If you're losing hair very slowly, from 19 to 23... I think that actually supports my theory that its a mature hairline. When did your mom's dad go bald? How old? It is completely natural for the center of the hairline to rise with age, and have no balding at all. If your hair has improved on finasteride... then yeah DHT is the culprit. But DHT is also what makes your hairline mature, so you may be holding off the process of a maturing hairline.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're balding. But guys that start balding at 19 tend to be the ones that lose it quick. So, if it's slow and you're 23, I doubt that you're balding. I don't want to get your hopes up or anything, but looking at the pictures, it sounds like there's about a 99.9999999% chance of it being a maturing hairline.

Seriously, get a pro opinion. At the very least, buy the microscope and check yourself out. It's not hard, you don't need to be a scientist to evaluate the results. If you go to the balding forum of balding blog and register, they post pictures of what actual miniaturization of their patients (it's run by a reputable hair transplant surgeon) looks like.
finasteride is probably safe. But you don't know. You don't know what it does to your liver, you don't know what it does to your body's testosterone production... I really think you should be absolutely sure before going on that stuff, and seeing hairs in the sink is far from sure. You've got Elvis hair... that might be why you see more hairs in the sink than the average guy. I've seen guys with MUCH thinner hair than you that aren't balding. My dad's hair receded (mature hairline) and thinned quite a bit in his 20's and then stayed that way until his late 40's. It happens. Just because your hair isn't the same at 23 as it was at 17 does not mean you're balding.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

DoctorHouse said:

Yep. Cowlicks are generally at the crown of the head, so it would be natural for him to bald there. But when he was saying "its a cowlick", he was, as you said, right.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: IWANTPERFECTION'S STORY- 23YRS OLD

ClayShaw said:
iwantperfection said:
right guys this isnt really a proper photo update. im leavin that for another month or so. It will have detailed photos of temples and hairline etc from baseline to the point at which i put them up.

But for now im going to show you all some cosmetic photos to show how my hair is getting on with fincar. I have only started minoxidil so results are obviously from using finasteride. My hair has thickened up and as my earlier posts state im currently not losing hair much at all. Dont see any while shampooing etc.

The first photos are from december and the bottom ones are from today, march.

One of the photos i am under a light to show how healthy hair is at moment. I really think finasteride and minoxidil is going to bring me back to the glory days of an 18yr old.lol

so here they are. 3months on finasteride, 5days minoxidil....

hair.jpg

You don't even have a mature hairline yet. I'd be shocked if you're really balding.

I mean seriously. Does anyone on here look at those pics and really think he's balding?!?! If he is, so is Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, David Schwimmer, etc.
Dude, stop donating money to the pharmaceutical industry and get yourself checked out by someone with experience in the area.

THERE IS NO WAY YOU'RE BALDING.
That is a sweet mullet in the March pics though.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Clayshaw, For myself, I was referring to the NEW test that tells whether finasteride would benefit me or not. I emailed the company and they said that test is for all ages concerned. The other test which was the first one is for people under 40 years old. That would be more appropriate for IWP. By the way a few months ago I bought the instrument that Rassman recommended and did my self miniaturization test and honestly I had difficulty making out what was going on. To me all the hairs looked basically the same. I had some areas with little hairs but I had no idea if these hairs were coming or going. I can understand why IWP "thinks" his hair is thinning when it looks so great in his pictures. I think he may have a bit of paranoia because he may have lost a minor amount due to his thyroid but if my hair looked as thick as his does now, I would admit to myself I was not thinning and my presence on here would have been non-existent as it was when I was his age and my hair did look like his. However, my hair is not going to look as good as that because I do have thinning and whether it be from age or male pattern baldness, I have no idea because the miniaturization test I did does not tell me too much. As I said before, the hair transplant Doctor told me I have 30 percent loss of density mainly concentrated just down the middle of my scalp. I know its considered "thinning" but is it also male pattern baldness. Nobody seems to be able to tell me but based on seeing what these 20 year olds on here have, I have my doubts now. That is why maybe the genetic test could help shed some light on finding out I have been taking a medication for 3 years with NO benefit. Yet the hair transplant Doctor says keep taking it.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

DoctorHouse said:
Clayshaw, For myself, I was referring to the NEW test that tells whether finasteride would benefit me or not. I emailed the company and they said that test is for all ages concerned. The other test which was the first one is for people under 40 years old. That would be more appropriate for IWP. By the way a few months ago I bought the instrument that Rassman recommended and did my self miniaturization test and honestly I had difficulty making out what was going on. To me all the hairs looked basically the same. I had some areas with little hairs but I had no idea if these hairs were coming or going. I can understand why IWP "thinks" his hair is thinning when it looks so great in his pictures. I think he may have a bit of paranoia because he may have lost a minor amount due to his thyroid but if my hair looked as thick as his does now, I would admit to myself I was not thinning and my presence on here would have been non-existent as it was when I was his age and my hair did look like his. However, my hair is not going to look as good as that because I do have thinning and whether it be from age or male pattern baldness, I have no idea because the miniaturization test I did does not tell me too much. As I said before, the hair transplant Doctor told me I have 30 percent loss of density mainly concentrated just down the middle of my scalp. I know its considered "thinning" but is it also male pattern baldness. Nobody seems to be able to tell me but based on seeing what these 20 year olds on here have, I have my doubts now. That is why maybe the genetic test could help shed some light on finding out I have been taking a medication for 3 years with NO benefit. Yet the hair transplant Doctor says keep taking it.

I've always read that you need at least 40-50% density loss for it to be visible to the naked eye. I've seen that in many places, including on the website of the company offering the test. So if your Doctor is telling you that you've got 30% loss, but you can see it, something is wrong.
In addition to that, what you describe is female hair loss, not male. I have yet to see a man with that pattern, and in my life I've only seen it on two women (I work with one). You're the Dr. here... is female hair loss due to DHT?? If not, and thats what you're experiencing, would a DHT blocker have any effect?
I think with the miniaturization tests, you're supposed to look at hair in the "safe" areas of your head and compare hair counts and shaft thickness to the areas where you suspect thinning. It's hard though, I know what you mean. I looked at my head, thought I saw NW7 thinning, and then looked at the pictures in the forum on Rassman's site. They had pics of a patient under the scope, and I thought, well, that looks like me. Then they showed a pic of his head, and he had no hair. The areas where I see thinning on myself under the scope look ok to the naked eye, the patient's head was almost bald. Its much easier if you shave your head. The problem is, I saw an article on PubMed that said that the definition of miniaturization in Androgenetic Alopecia was "overly broad", and needed to be revised. I can't link, sorry. I think hair shaft thickness is supposed to be uniform throughout the scalp, and if it's not, there is miniaturization present. Still, I stand by my previous statement that Rassman is a propecia saleman.
I can't imagine that there is a genetic test that would accurately predict a person's response to finasteride. How would that even be possible? Sounds like snake oil to me. I understand that finasteride blocks a certian percentage of DHT, like 60 or 70%, and that the people that it does not work for have follicles that are very sensitive to DHT.
Have you considered the possibility that you're losing your hair due to something other than male pattern baldness/the effects of DHT? Could it be an immune system thing, some other form of alopecia (areata, for instance)? Maybe you should see a dermatologist instead of an hair transplant Doctor.
As far as IWP is concerned, if you lose hair due to something other than male pattern baldness, it shouldn't follow any specific pattern. One of my best friends has AU, and it started with an oddly placed bald spot. If IWP lost hair due to some thyroid issue, it wouldn't be in the male pattern baldness pattern. I stand by my statement that he is not balding. If by "I Want Perfection" he means he doesn't want a mature hairline, well, tough sh*t. If he means he doesn't want an NW3+, I think he's good to go. I just don't see any hair loss there. I don't see a mature hairline. His hair is rounded off at the corners. Thats NW1. He said he started noticing thinning temples at 19... That sure sounds like the beginning of a mature hairline. His basis for believing he's going bald is counting hairs in the sink, which is worthless as far as an indicator goes, and his reaction to finasteride. Well, if his hairline is maturing, it makes sense that finasteride would slow it down. Hairlines mature due to the effects of DHT, if you block enough DHT, then your hairline won't mature, or it will take longer. Its just sad to see people taking a drug they don't need. I guess we all know our hair better than anyone else, and if he thinks he's balding, then maybe he is. But if you truly need 40% loss to see it, then there's no way that he could see any hair loss, because there's no f*****g way his hair was 40% more dense than that. Thats way more hair than most guys have.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: IWANTPERFECTION'S STORY- 23YRS OLD

iwantperfection said:
im beginning to think the Doctor was right and my hairloss is thyroid related. im due to start meds soon for hypo. i had a good close look at my thin area today. I notice that firstly im thinning in a weird pattern. i notice where im thin i have big follicles with thick hair and lots of them the hair is only jus coming out altho still thick and dark. there seems to be no miniturisation. i know when temples go for example the areagoes slick.

im beginning to think imay not have male pattern baldness after all.

Good.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I dont think its a mature hairline..i think its diffuse probably. After four years of loosing hair im sure it would have got mature by now. I definately am loing hair. Im not a bdd sufferer or anything. For the past 4yrs i could rund my hand through my hair and get hair quite easily. See it shampooing etc etc. My guess is i have slow diffuse. And the 40% thing...i would say i actually have lost 40%. i use to have hair like this guy....

cristiano-ronaldo.jpg

If i parted my hair at 19 you couldnt even see scalp. thats how thick it was. lol. Its how my dads hair is. Took after him.

anyways big3 working so im probably doing the right thing. early prevention and all that.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

mate the more i look at ur pictures to more ridiculous this whole thing is

ure not balding and even if u were ud have literally many years to know for sure from which you could then start propecia.

starting it now is way premature - taking finasteride is a lifeetime committment with certain risk, exposing yourself to that for potentially little to no reason just isn't a smart bet.

go of the finasteride for 6 months if not a few years and look at your hair then. take good pics, if it looks like its definately deterioating then act without looking back, but before then, i wouldn't

oh and sell ur proscar to me :)

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

what everyone seems to be ignoring is that these pictures are 3MONTHS into treatment and my hair is better now than it was. My crown is thicker and generally my hair is better. Even my temple triangles got denser as evident if you compare to the baseline pics.

Theres no way im stoping the finasteride. My hair has been getting thinner for years and i see the hairs every day. The reaosn why thers so many guys here with see through hair when they 19-22 is because they waited too long.Perosnally i believe if you leave it to that stage unless your a great resonder the game is over.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

hi guys.My story is now as long as the bible with us all discussing if im balding. So i have put my head under the shower and took 3 shots.2wet ,with and without flash and one towel dried. You cant say fairer than that. It will show you i am thinning. Though for 4yrs its not bad and im not really bothered just yet tbh. On my ipod phone here so il get pics up later. Other than that guys im flying home tonight to belfast and looking forward to st patricks day and stumbling around drunk all day in my cast.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Ok here they are. As you can see my crown is thinning a bit and my temples are back a bit. finasteride is helping things though. I KNOW my hairloss isnt bad and it doesnt bother me yet really. Im here cause i want to PREVENT FURTHER hairloss. So no comments slagging me off please :) i dont want to ever go bald so its important i nip this in the bud as early as possible and keep my hair as long as i can.

hair-1.jpg

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

Does look a bit thin in crown, kinda like my hair. Just thinning at the swirl area, but my temples are little farther back. So all you people saying he shouldn't be on these forums can STFU.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thanks nuli. im glad people realise my problem now. As i said its been 4years of hairloss so for now anyways its slow which is good. Plus seems im responding v nicely to the meds. Shedding is only small light hairs now which is good and temples geting better. No sides but i have been geting alot of light headaches recently.

Im pretty confident meds will sort me out but for now hair loss doesnt bother me. My hair is still decent. temples havent changed since 19so they not running away just yet.lol

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score

iwantperfection i gotta say some of your comments i seen on here where dumb theres no beef though , what i want to say is your hair looks good buddy keep it up

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

thank you for posting

you have every right to be here

i hope you receive a full recovery

just curious, do you use any type of concealer?

Obsidian

Reaction score

That's great to hear. So are you still just on .5 of finasteride?