Life with Finasteride and Erectile Dysfunction

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
The photo Hellouser posted really is true. I myself experienced terrible side effects from finasteride as did several other people that I know, as well as people on this message board. I highly doubt that the number is as low as 5%. On the other side of the coin though, I am not advocating for people not to try the drug. I'd actually advise people to try it out. Plenty of people apparently don't have side effects on it and if you do not have side effects and are able to stop or slow your hair loss, then you've just saved yourself a lot of aggravation. But I really do believe a lot more people than 5% do experience side effects and really underscores why we need much better treatments than finasteride, a weak vasodilator, and an anti-dandruff shampoo.

- - - Updated - - -

finasteride makes my sex drive 15% bigger, not smaller. I think men may get sides off of finasteride if they already aren't so masculine (low testosterone), you know the type of guy who worries over everything (some call them "beta")

I am a 230 pound weightlifter and I got terrible sides from the drug.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will come onto this thread every three days or so and restate the obvious - finasteride is f*cking garbage. case closed. I am right. Finasteride is f*cking sewer trash.

It's grown hair and you are wrong.

Seriously though why do you hate it? As a user I want to know.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The worst aspect of finasteride is probably that it prevents other hair loss treatments from emerging.

shookwun

Reaction score
My condolences goes out to those with beta genes who get ed from finasteride.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I still wake up with morning wood every day while taking half a milligram of oral Dutasteride daily.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The worst aspect of finasteride is probably that it prevents other hair loss treatments from emerging.

This x 1million. It's a stopgap measure but true innovation comes from true need (desperation)

- - - Updated - - -

You got ED from finasteride?

Not ED. Just low libido, weak erections. Kinda just numb down there. Requires stimulation to get hard = not a good sign.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
So true. I love what finasteride does for me but at the same time I fear it is the biggest reason we don't have something better.
Both Minoxidil and Finasteride were intended for different uses than for treating hair loss.
This means that as of today there is NO official hair loss cure that stems from a research on hair loss.
So, I am not sure finasteride worsens the stagnation on hair loss research. More likely, hair loss research is not there yet, has never been close, who knows when it gets close to a solution (except of course hair multiplication in vitro but that is another thing)

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
They made finasteride knowing it will definitely help with hair loss as they studied people with 5 alpha reductase deficiency and they saw they didn't have any hair loss and smaller prostates so it would help with both hair and prostate.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It only reduces 70% DHT in the scalp. It kind of is a joke. Because even for the people who don't get the side effects, the DHT is going to do it's damage in a matter of time.
This is bull****. If it did so, then no one would get sides because you don't get sides from lowering DHT on the scalp which is where it matters btw. You don't control what % of finasteride goes where, it's random. finasteride is ****, it goes systematically in your body everywhere, randomly, it can feminize any tissue, I don't care how much time it takes, everyone will have sides eventually. Don't believe the bull**** financed studies. 70% inhibition of the most potent androgen hormone in a male = nonsense.

Being bald = game over.

Not taking finasteride and going bald = game over

Taking a tranny drug to not go bald = game over.

I can't stand this. I want the universe to explode.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
They made finasteride knowing it will definitely help with hair loss as they studied people with 5 alpha reductase deficiency and they saw they didn't have any hair loss and smaller prostates so it would help with both hair and prostate.

Actually the very first target was small prostate patients, but it is true that the subjects who inspired the drug were immune to male pattern baldness. The drug was used as anti prostate hyperplasia pill since 1992 and against hair loss only five years later.

Wiki says:

In 1975, copies of Imperato-McGinley's presentation were seen by P. Roy Vagelos, who was then serving as Merck's basic-research chief. He was intrigued by the notion that decreased levels of DHT led to the development of smaller prostates. Dr. Vagelos then sought to create a drug which could mimic the condition found in these children to treat older men who were suffering from benign prostatic hyperplasia.[30]

I add later: how was benign prostatic hyperplasia in older men more stringent than hair loss in anyone else? :)

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Local androgen receptor antagonist + estrogen in a TOPICAL formulation = androgenic alopecia cured.

I don't have many sides from finasteride, but it also doesn't completely stop my hair loss. Only slow down at best.
CB better ****ing work once it comes out.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Uh, not really. Speak with any researcher involved with hair and they'll tell you the reason why androgenic alopecia doesn't get funding is because there are 'more important things' to research. Plus it's a mans problem. Nobody cares about men's health. Go look at the disparity between breast cancer and prostate cancer.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
I just came back from a vacation in Spain and I have a little anecdote to share. I thought it would fit well in this thread.

So I had sex with this Spanish girl, and in the morning at breakfast, she tells me:

Her: "You know, my ex-boyfriend wouldn't have sex with me for a year, all of a sudden, he was never in the mood."

Her: "It took him a long time to realize it was because he was taking this drug for baldness."

Me: "Yes, finasteride."

Her: "Oh you know about it?!"

Me: "..."

So it seems the guy wasn't even aware that he was experiencing sexual side-effects.

I wonder how many guys are in a situation like this and are thinking that they're not experiencing any side-effect.

She then gave a speech about how guys should shave their head and should not sacrifice their libido to keep their hair.

Aaand we're back to the dilemma discussed in this thread.

How did you manage to get girl on vacation in foreign place?You are really turning into internstional slayer,despite your baldness. The girl didnt say anything bout your hair?

- - - Updated - - -

Finasteride gave me ED and low libido. That's why I keep using it. It helped me to get rid of something I didn't need.
+1

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Tinder. Matched her on the first day, she came to my hotel that night.

She didn't say anything about my hair until I told her I had that problem too.

Most girls will see a shaved head with some thinning, not full baldness.

But still, I'm quite insecure about what I have on my head, especially the back.

Another girl told me: "You're starting to lose your hair at the back!" Yeah right, "starting" :p.

I'm pretty sure sleeping with all these girls wouldn't be possible without my 2000 grafts.

Without these grafts, I would just be the creepy bald uncle. Amazing what wonders a little hair transplant can do.

Holy ****,they will even come to you? Tinder is like yellow pages with hookers for you, but for free! I cant imagine doing that, ****ing foreign girl in foreign country without even knowing her....Dr. Rudi indeed did wonders for you. Im sure you are sending him happy postcards from your vacations.) Your next hair transplant will get you to anotherlevel. You must be so happy when you compare your current situation to your past when you were hospitalized with mental problems.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have hardly any side effects from Finasteride, which would be great if the damn thing worked.

"She then gave a speech about how guys should shave their head and should not sacrifice their libido to keep their hair."

Ideally we wouldn't have to sacrifice anything, but these damn scientists man, I tell ya... they ain't doin' sheiiit. Topical AR antagonists should've been out a LONG time ago, I'm talking early 2000s. It's a disgrace that we are waiting for 2020, 2021? Just for CB to arrive? :protest:

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I have hardly any side effects from Finasteride, which would be great if the damn thing worked.

Ideally we wouldn't have to sacrifice anything, but these damn scientists man, I tell ya... they ain't doin' sheiiit. Topical AR antagonists should've been out a LONG time ago, I'm talking early 2000s. It's a disgrace that we are waiting for 2020, 2021? Just for CB to arrive? :protest:

I know. The limited and mediocre hair restoration options that we have are just downright shameful.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
I lol'ed.

Whatever way you look at it, we as finasteride users have to deal with around the same DHT levels of a castrate and worse DHT levels than a 80 year old. Irrelevant whether one gets side effects or not that simple fact is pretty damn sad in it's own.

The day I'll be cured is the day I'll be swimming in Andactrim, that's for sure.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I lol'ed.

Whatever way you look at it, we as finasteride users have to deal with around the same DHT levels of a castrate and worse DHT levels than a 80 year old. Irrelevant whether one gets side effects or not that simple fact is pretty damn sad in it's own.

The day I'll be cured is the day I'll be swimming in Andactrim, that's for sure.

Basically, to cure a disorder we've giving ourselves an aberration.