male pattern baldness- why doesnt it attack ALL the hair?

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know?

for a start it seems to only work in a pattern, either the classic receding hairline at the temples or the bald spot on the crown. & the hair on the side doesnt seem to get affected by DHT! wtf?

any experts here that know a lot about this?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its just to really make us look as bad as possible, personally I dont think it would be so bad if you kept the hair ontop and lost the donor hair.
Seriously though I dont have a clue.

amsch

Reaction score
Somehow the hair on the donor area is more DHT-resistent than the hair on the top. Pretty much genetics :(

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
if only there was a way of making your hair on top think it was from the donor area. i guess that would be the cure if they invent one.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
FreeloaderUK said:
if only there was a way of making your hair on top think it was from the donor area. i guess that would be the cure if they invent one.

Sounds like the future of proteonomics and genetics. Change the expression of the hair follicles to be DHT insensitive... just a thought.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Men go bald to signal to the opposite sex that we have rotten souls so that they can feel justified in hating us so much. :shock:

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
The fact that male pattern baldness hasn't been selected away from through natural (sexual) selection over time is probably because it doesn't affect men until they've already been reproductively mature and active for several years. Either that or women really don't care. To every man that thinks that he can't get laid/married/whatever due to his bald head, I would just like to point out that at least 40% of adult men go bald and most of them have romantic partners, because SOMEONE is carrying these genes through to the next generation!

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We bald on top and not on the sides because our job is to end up looking like clowns and make others laugh.

BDSander

Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
We bald on top and not on the sides because our job is to end up looking like clowns and make others laugh.

What if it became trendy to have a horseshoe? Let’s say guys with full heads of hair would cut their hair into horseshoes and they envied us bald guys, because we have such great horseshoes.

I once remember a kid in college shaving his head into a horseshoe, so that he would look older and he would go buy beer.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
i remember a documentry about comb overs and there was this guy who wasnt going bald but he cut hair in a way so he can style it like a comb over cause he thought it looks cool .

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
We don't go bald on the sides?

sunlight1.jpg

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
BDSander said:
Nathaniel said:

What if it became trendy to have a horseshoe? Let’s say guys with full heads of hair would cut their hair into horseshoes and they envied us bald guys, because we have such great horseshoes.

I once remember a kid in college shaving his head into a horseshoe, so that he would look older and he would go buy beer.

I'm sure it did nothing for his sex life lol. Good for him for prioritizing correctly!

Reaction score
good question, what is so peculiar about the top of the head?? as opposed to the rest of the body???

does it have anything to do with blood flow and circulation?? its pretty much skin on pure bone i wonder if this has any relavance??

One thing i do know is that stress will cause a reduction of blood flow to the skin, perhaps this has something to do with it, but that just seems to obvious for a researcher to miss, unless their only goal was to find someway to influence the hair cycle JUST to sell you something, rather then finding real causation.

hairnewb101

Reaction score
autonmousone1980 said:
good question, what is so peculiar about the top of the head?? as opposed to the rest of the body???

does it have anything to do with blood flow and circulation?? its pretty much skin on pure bone i wonder if this has any relavance??

One thing i do know is that stress will cause a reduction of blood flow to the skin, perhaps this has something to do with it, but that just seems to obvious for a researcher to miss, unless their only goal was to find someway to influence the hair cycle JUST to sell you something, rather then finding real causation.

Even if they did find the real cause of hair loss, they wouldn't have made their findings public.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
hairnewb101 said:
autonmousone1980 said:

Even if they did find the real cause of hair loss, they wouldn't have made their findings public.
Are you suggesting some sort of conspiracy theory?

weathered

Reaction score
Although I'm not a MD or have a Phd on a science that has connection with human evolution, I believe that since some ape species suffer from baldness with a pattern ,male pattern baldness goes thousands years back even before Homo Sapiens rule the earth.
I've read somewhere that a hypothesis made on that subject was that hair loss occcured because of the defieciency of vitamin D.Since the climate of the earth has been changing a lot through the milleniums and we have passed through prolonged ice ages our progenitors needed more sun light, so there bodies can convert it to vitamin D.The ''closest'' part of the human body to the sun is the top of our head so as ages crossed by a mutation happened to our ancestors so the top of their heads had less hair to accept more sun rays.Since vitamin D plays an important role to our health the mutation of hair loss became a predominant gene,so our posterities have a healthy life.
Now many will ask why not all men and women have pattern hair loss ?Well my assumption is since the mutation, a lot of years have passed and a lot of other things have played a role.We can see that caucasians are more frequent with male pattern baldness than the indigenous people of America or even some asian races,that makes me believe that man in some cases and because of the climate of his habitation or his diet eliminated or waned down the reason for the gene to express.I believe you all are familiar with the study that states that male pattern baldness increased in Japan after WII and the introduction of western lifestyle.

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Best theory I have heard is that pattern balding is a special form of "male decoration". There is reasonable agreement that balding males males look older. The theory is that a little balding makes younger males look more mature and thus more attractive to females.

Remember, it is "survival of the fittest" and a male merely surviving to (say) the ripe old age of 35-40 might have been a mate-worthy accomplishment in stone-age female eyes. Also, older males tend to have access to more resources, more expereince, etc. What if you can fake this at a younger age?

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
OMFG, Watson I think you've got it!! :woot: That is the best evolutionary explanation that I have heard yet. I've heard others come close, but you nailed the REASON- survival. Living beings are constantly adapting but ALWAYS for a reason. Take "obesity" for example. We attribute obesity to gluttony, that it is acquired but what about those who were just born fat from fat parents? It is in the genes, but why? Actually for the opposite reason of gluttony- CONSERVATION! The ability to store an abundance of fat to convert to energy was an evolutionary advantage for those who were living in a time and a place where food sources were scarce. Thank you Proctor for finally being able to answer the question I have been asking myself ever since I looked in the mirror and first noticed my hairloss, WHY? It's just to bad that the evolutionary reality conflicts with the current social reality.