My Big 3++ story...Month 11 update! Coming close to one year

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw my dermatologist today. He thinks it is a success. I would have thinned during this year if it wasn't for finasteride he said. He recommended to continue the regime and thinks further improvement is possible (and likely).

The shedding he was not so sure about. Losing 150 hairs is definitely not normal and pathological he said. Not sure what to make of it.

I doubled the dose of finasteride 3 months ago to 1-1.25mg. I also added a Multivitamin with Biotin and all sorts of B-vitamins a month ago. And I also spent the last month getting drunk way too often and eating sh*t for a week. Plus I shed the worst a year ago too. So any one or all of these things could cause shedding that is not normal. The fact that I'm on a strong regime makes me think that chances are the hair is coming back (maybe even stronger). What is my choice? Stop finasteride and be sure it's gone and coming back weaker? I don't think so...I will ride this b**ch out.

He also drew blood and will check my hormones (about 500 of them incl. vitamins). That's good, I feel like I'm in good hands. Will keep you posted. Almost 10.000 viewers. Amazing, I hope it helps someone out there...

Hair for all!

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Big 12 month update

* Overall: I have made it to the magical 1 year mark! The least amount of time one should apparently spend on a treatment to see if it works. Amazing. This is like a diary of distress even though things could admittedly be worse. New forum layout and 10.000 views so far. 13 pages of crap about my hair. I hope this is of any use to someone. It is interesting for me to keep track anyway.
I have learnt a lot about hairloss. I'm amazed at how far it actually has progressed before I was convinced I was affected. I'm amazed at what you can actually do against it. Unfortunately it is not all positive. At least I have more positive thoughts about it than I had last year where I was going completely nuts.

*Regime: 1.25mg of finasteride, minoxidil foam in the morning, minoxidil liquid (1.5-2ml at night), Ket shampoo 2x/week and multivitamins and a couple of other shampoos.

* Results: like I previously wrote (I know I'm repeating myself): I guess I have more or less maintained, so this alone is a success I'm thankful for. I believe my front has thickened in areas where I didn't think I was thinning and I even have some (weak) regrowth on the hairline. My hairline is very good. My front is strong and I'm showing it off in a new haircut. My vertex area is mixed. I think there is some thickening and some more or less stable areas although I think the affected area is extending towards the front of my head. I'm definitely not a super-responder and truly think it takes longer for me to work. I hope my dose of 1.25mg helps with the thickening. I want to do a full 2 years on this regime to give finasteride a chance. To an outsider I have a full and thick head of hair.

* Shedding: This is my biggest concern. I continue to shed more hair than I think is good/normal with most days over 100 hairs. This is the reason why I'm hesitant to think hairloss has stabilized. I hate it and it worries me. Almost all hair is from the vertex area I believe.

* Sides: I'll be very honest here: only sides that remain: I experience dry eyes and low libido. I wear contacts so it is annoying at times. I use eye drops to try and counter it. Libido was not what is used to be even about 2 years before finasteride. Well guess what, it hasn't gotten better. It works every time but I find the lack of arousal frustrating even when I'm with a woman. I need some physical stimulation and more concentration than a few years ago. L-arginin helps with the quality but not the level of libido so far. It has also gotten in my head somewhat over the months I have to admit. I kinda avoid close encounters even though I probably get the most attention of females ever. It is funny. I know this is stupid and I won't continue it forever, but I want both - women and hair. I will not give up my fight and will continue to look for a solution.

* Other stuff: I gained a few pounds in the first few months which was good cause I'm slim. It has gotten back to normal and I have lost them again. I work out and am in good shape. No problems gaining muscle, very defined. No mood changes, no other problems. All is good.

That's it folks...

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
How can I edit the headline of this thread...damn

Rider

Reaction score
your crown aint visible when dry.. you could add a bit of toppik until you get some regrowth :)

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
your crown aint visible when dry.. you could add a bit of toppik until you get some regrowth :)

If it stays the way it is now, I'm satisfied and I don't think I need toppik...yet. It is not really visible yet. but I cannot lose much more...I really hope it regrows!
I'm thinking of adding something to the regime...
Curcumin, Azelaic Acid...? Or something that just stops/slows the shedding.
This looks interesting too:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Prostate-Health-Clinical-Strength-90-Softgels/23651
and for other reasons:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Men-s-Virility-Power-120-Capsules/700

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
It finasteride/Rogaine didnt do it, doubt the herbs will. Dont lose hope just yet tho.

Honestly this is really starting to freak me out and I need to vent. I continue to lose 110-150 hairs every damn day. No signs of stopping. I don't know what is happening? I never went down to a really low number but maybe 80-90 for some time a couple of months ago. This should be ok (if not all of those hairs come from your balding area). But now for at least a month if not all the time...?

I'm on a strong regime of 1.25mg and Rogaine plus lots of supplements with all B-vitamins, Biotin etc. What else am I supposed to do? It is now one year and a bit. I was damn patient. My hairline continues to get better and I see terminal hair developing slowly. The back of my head seems to thin out in a larger area than a year ago. I really don't know what I should do? I'm thinking of even raising my dose of finasteride. I'm really getting desperate here.

I need advice...

Rocky V

Established Member
Reaction score
dont worry about it, if you lost 150 hairs every day for one year then you would thin much more than this, I guarantee you. Everyone's hormones operate differently, which probably explains your shedding. It's more like telegon effluvium. As long as you're maintaining, it shouldn't be that big a deal

Finner

Reaction score
Don't take too many supplements. Wait longer. I'm no expert and new to this "game" but I'm am waiting for at least 18 months on just finasteride alone (based on my reading of the clinical studies and reports on this forum) before I consider other options.

Good luck.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I realize that my story is mostly about shedding :) and I keep repeating myself...I counted 180 hairs yesterday during washing after 1 yr on finasteride.
It's just to me it seems that when I thin out just a little more it will not be possible to hide my hair loss on the vertex anymore. I'm scared of that moment and the comments I will get.

The weird thing is I cannot even say I'm maintaining or otherwise in the back of my head. I have no choice but to wait it out. I should take it as a sign that things are working...

@Finner: I agree. I've been VERY consistent with my regimen but I can tell you now that it is hard to go through the sheddings and not freak out and wonder if you're doing the right thing.

Will update you soon...and will hang in there! Thank you...

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is exciting for me...just made pics again cause I've been getting paranoid lately due to my shedding. This is Month 5 vs Month 13. I'm seeing a slow but obvious change in my opinion. Left temple is slowly filling in. The curve shape is much less pronounced I think. finasteride seems to work in my temples at least!
2.jpgUntitled.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The crown is where the problem is...this is month 1 (left) vs month 13. If anything it seems to maintain. I'm finding it hard to see an improvement. I'm shedding a lot of hair from the crown lately (since June I guess). 20 hairs during styling, 120-150 during shampooing maybe more. It is scary...surprisingly the status is still not much worse. Wonder how long it can be like that.
IMG_0874.jpgIMG_1625.jpg

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
so you take 1.25 mg of finasteride a day?

im taking 1.25 mg of finasteride every other day.. i was told there isnt a diff between every other day and every day.. is that true?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
so you take 1.25 mg of finasteride a day?

im taking 1.25 mg of finasteride every other day.. i was told there isnt a diff between every other day and every day.. is that true?

That's right, 1.25mg a day. Well there is this flat-dose dependency theory out there. There is a study that tested the effectiveness of the drug at different doses. It is true that the difference in the inhibition of DHT was small between say .5mg and 1mg, but still existent. I think there is not much point in upping the dose further from 1.25mg, although this seems to work for some when their hairloss cannot be stopped at that dose. To slow the loss on my crown it seems that I need at least this dose from what I can tell. Maybe my hairloss is stronger than I thought. My hair is just so thick that it took a few years to become noticable. I refuse to believe that finasteride isn't also doing something for my crown and I wait it out before I change anything...not much else I know to do?!

B

Beingbaldsucksass

That's bullcrap propecia can't give diarrhea, what's next people will blame finasteride for flu? And that ****ty gel you putting on your hair caussing it to be greasy and lose even more hair

JohnnyBBald

Reaction score
So what was the problem with the Finpecia? It gave you bowel issues? And the Propecia did nothing of the sort? Or was it just the 1mg of Finpecia compared to 0.5mg of Propecia that made the difference? I just ordered it from inhouse.biz and want to find out if it's legit or I'm wasting my time/money and need to get Proscar...

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
That's bullcrap propecia can't give diarrhea, what's next people will blame finasteride for flu? And that ****ty gel you putting on your hair caussing it to be greasy and lose even more hair

No reason to start insulting. I know I had stomach issues in the first few months. It was definitely worsened through my intake of Propecia. I sorted my problems out, and I can handle it fine now. I'm not blaming it for anything, but I know for a fact that taking meds when your stomach is upset isn't helping either. And the gel I was putting in isn't doing **** to my hair or making me lose it. I don't use gel anymore but other products as it is too thin on top and it makes it see-through.

- - - Updated - - -

So what was the problem with the Finpecia? It gave you bowel issues? And the Propecia did nothing of the sort? Or was it just the 1mg of Finpecia compared to 0.5mg of Propecia that made the difference? I just ordered it from inhouse.biz and want to find out if it's legit or I'm wasting my time/money and need to get Proscar...

No worries, it was my particular situation. You'll be fine, and will surely not waste your money!

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely see some improvement at the crown

Thank you very much! That is really motivating. I hope you are right and I hope it continues to improve...

WhereDaHair

Reaction score
Happy for you man you've had some good results. Granted, I'm new here and haven't been following your posts/thread and didn't read but the first couple and last couple pages. But, you seem like a cool guy and doing great with the hair thing so good for you!

What ever did you learn about the shedding? Is it from the Rogaine? or are you just ignoring it since you're having good results

* Sides: I'll be very honest here: only sides that remain: I experience dry eyes and low libido. I wear contacts so it is annoying at times. I use eye drops to try and counter it. Libido was not what is used to be even about 2 years before finasteride. Well guess what, it hasn't gotten better. It works every time but I find the lack of arousal frustrating even when I'm with a woman. I need some physical stimulation and more concentration than a few years ago. L-arginin helps with the quality but not the level of libido so far. It has also gotten in my head somewhat over the months I have to admit. I kinda avoid close encounters even though I probably get the most attention of females ever. It is funny. I know this is stupid and I won't continue it forever, but I want both - women and hair. I will not give up my fight and will continue to look for a solution.

Wow, you are talking right outta my book! I have been off of Propecia for about 7-8 months now, and I'm telling you I still have low libido, zero desire. Like you, it works but needs some attention and concentration, unlike before and yes it is frustrating. I could probably also admit that some of it is in my head and making it worse, but not the cause of the problem I don't think.

But, because I stopped taking it short, I'll never know what results I might have gotten with my hair. Should have stuck it out like you.

Good for you man and good luck to you!

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy for you man you've had some good results. Granted, I'm new here and haven't been following your posts/thread and didn't read but the first couple and last couple pages. But, you seem like a cool guy and doing great with the hair thing so good for you!

What ever did you learn about the shedding? Is it from the Rogaine? or are you just ignoring it since you're having good results

Wow, you are talking right outta my book! I have been off of Propecia for about 7-8 months now, and I'm telling you I still have low libido, zero desire. Like you, it works but needs some attention and concentration, unlike before and yes it is frustrating. I could probably also admit that some of it is in my head and making it worse, but not the cause of the problem I don't think.

But, because I stopped taking it short, I'll never know what results I might have gotten with my hair. Should have stuck it out like you.

Good for you man and good luck to you!
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!

Honestly, you don't need to read all of my post, it's just a lot of pages about shedding and whining, and shedding and whining some more :) it is quite repetitive and I keep a diary mostly for later reference in case it works...

As far as the shedding is concernced: someone was of the opinion that it may be the rogaine, that is again triggering a periodic shed. Could be anything really, but I doubt it. I'm trying to ignore it as much as I can and be both realistic and reasonable about it. As far as I understand it, the hairs are just going to sleep. It's really a question of how strong and when (synchronisation) they will return. If I'm lucky they will come back stronger (I used to shed a lot of minituarized hairs in the first months) and synchronize naturally. But they will come back in some shape or form because my follicles are not dead. Also I think I just generally shed a lot, so 100+ hairs for me may be just normal. There are also some anecdotes of successful guys on this forum who seem to shed a lot but still have great hair gains. So, even though I'm whining a lot and this is a lengthy answer, I think my best choice is to stick to what I'm doing...

As for sides: funny thing is until a week ago I had really good libido all of a sudden. I don't remember having had it like that in years. There were zero issues in that department! And I haven't changed a thing in my regimen. If it would stay like that I'd be the happiest person. Well, now I'm more or less back to before but I'm hopeful. I just try to be relaxed about it as much as I can.

Well, if you regret it you could still go back on the drug if you want. I don't know and don't want to recommend anything. It is a compromise to some extent. I have just decided that it is too important for me to have hair and I will do whatever I can to keep it. If you decide against finasteride or a fight in general, it is a good decision too. In any case, I wish you luck too! Keep us updated...

pazguato

Reaction score
Hello.

Your story is very similar to mine. I'm on my 13th month of finasteride/min/keto and like you the crown is the problematic area. Our 1 year results are the same, thickening of existing hair and a little regrow. My shedding timeline has been like this:

months 1-5: no shedding
months 6-8: some shedding of miniaturized hairs mostly
months 8-10: the mother of all sheds, at the end of month 10 it looked worst than baseline
months 10-13: I'm shedding about 40 hairs every time I apply minoxidil, they are a little miniaturized, 20% or so. My hair has improved and its a bit better than baseline.

Like you I'm hoping for more regrowth, although I can't complain because I have a full head of hair to everyone (trained or untrained eye) and I'll be happy if I can keep this state for the next 10 years, but we are hair-greedy and I know the shedding I'm getting is not normal and possibly it means more regrowth in the upcoming months. Anyway, i can see lots of small hairs growing and during the last week the shedding has subsided a little. It will be interesting to see what happens in the 2nd and 3rd year.

By the way, this is a photo of a finasteride study. Sometimes I look to it and gives me hope.

japo.jpg

Take care!