My conclusions about moderate alcohol drinking:

CCS

Reaction score
Moderate alcohol drinking will make most people live longer. This is because humans tend to die from heart attacks a decade or two before we would die of cancer, on average. Moderate drinking has effects that help prevent heart attacks, but only slightly increases your risk of cancer and liver damage. Heavy drinking is so damaging though that it brings these deaths earlier than the heart attacks would occur.

Either way, you still die, just a matter of what type of disease you want to die from.

There are health foods you can eat to get the same benefits that alcohol would give, without the risks. Fish oil is one. The studies that "accounted for diet" used scores to find people who are in the top half, based on the study's criteria for what a healthy diet is. They did not even look at fish oil or other advanced health topics. So it is inaccurate to say they accounted for many variables.

Finally, alcohol makes me feel bad. I get headaches, and it dehydrates me. Dehydration is a temporary problem since it motivates most people to drink more water afterwards, especially experienced drinkers who know to avoid hang overs. That is why that is not a long term problem, but you still have to drink more water to keep it from becoming a long term problem.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
You mention alcohol making you feel bad, is this with any amount or only heavy drinking? Is this with every single type of alcohol (say you're only drinking one type of alcohol in a night)?

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
How come it's hard for me to get a hangover? I'm not trying to act all awesome and say yeah i never get hangovers but i seriously have never had one, the worst that happens is i wake up with the furry teeth.

Macdonalds gives me a hangover though.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Yes, but how often do you drink Axel?

I used to get bad hangovers when I binged drank, but atm i'm drinking 4/5 cans a night and I wake up fine and dandy.

Apparently, honey on toast is the best hangover cure according to my newpaper.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Petchsky said:

I used to get bad hangovers when I binged drank, but atm i'm drinking 4/5 cans a night and I wake up fine and dandy.

Honey on toast? I should tried that yesterday! :punk:

CCS

Reaction score
I don't drink often enough to notice patterns. I just know if I don't drink for 3 months, and then get drunk, I don't get a hang over. I feel great that night, and maybe a bit embarrassed the next day for having such a big smile the night before over nothing.

But if I drink a second night within like a week or two of that time, I get a mild headache that same night while drinking. It is like I'm already dehydrated or something. I have to be very careful to drink enough water before hand I guess.

Hangovers are rare, but do happen. But then I don't drink much or a lot.

As for my favorite drinks: good wine, or yellow beer. I don't like the taste of dark beer or hard alcohol. No mixed drink can cover that nasty taste. Whisky is the worst. And I love hard lemonade. Lemon can hide anything. I told my roommates they should mix everclear and distilled water 1:10, then add a lot of lemon juice for a perfect drink. But they said, "no, everclear tastes bad.". They have no idea. One of these days I'll make that mixture. Everclear is better than vodca because you don't have the extra tastes in there. Just dilute it down to the same strength. I could make 10 liters of drinks that way.

CCS

Reaction score
squeegee said:
Petchsky said:

Honey on toast? I should tried that yesterday! :punk:

They say if you drink a beer the next day, it cures your hang over. Fact: you just need to raise your blood sugar with something. Honey and toast should do it. That and water and electrolites.

As for gatorade, it has almost no potassium in it. Very little sodium. Modern gatorate is just high fructose corn syrup with just as many calories as sodo, just no carbonation and different flavor. I lost all respect for it.

Alcohol makes me feel bad physically. I always get a buzz, but a buzz is best when it does not come with a headache.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in college we used to make a coolers full of a 50% dilluted everclear drink. It was super toxic but still sweet enough to go down smooth... I'm still surprised I have any measurable IQ after all of that.

CCS

Reaction score
My second look at moderate alcohol consumption:

Attractive people (healthy) tend to socialize in flirtatious places, where alcohol is pushed on them.

Unattractive people (tend to be less healthy) are more apt to stay home, or hang out with friends in less flirty area where there is less alcohol.

People drink alcohol for liquid courage, or to blame the alcohol for their promiscuity. If they know they can't get laid with whom they want, they don't bother drinking. Attractive people live longer than unattractive people, even with moderate alcohol consumption, and it takes heavy drinking to bridge the gap.

But the studies just looked at how much money people had and how much they exercised or what they ate. The studies did not look at how attractive their faces are.

If a single person drinks, often it is because they are addicted, otherwise they don't drink. Mostly just dating people drink moderately. The states with the most social drinkers are the ones with the most dating eligible people, hence the healthiest states.

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
Attractive people (healthy) tend to socialize in flirtatious places, where alcohol is pushed on them.

Unattractive people (tend to be less healthy) are more apt to stay home, or hang out with friends in less flirty area where there is less alcohol.

People drink alcohol for liquid courage, or to blame the alcohol for their promiscuity. If they know they can't get laid with whom they want, they don't bother drinking. Attractive people live longer than unattractive people, even with moderate alcohol consumption, and it takes heavy drinking to bridge the gap.
If a single person drinks, often it is because they are addicted, otherwise they don't drink. Mostly just dating people drink moderately. The states with the most social drinkers are the ones with the most dating eligible people, hence the healthiest states.

LOL these theories are hilarious. Ever thought that some people just like to drink?
Please give us your opions on attractiveness and smokers.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:

You have apparently never been into a dive bar. Lemme tell you, if you start going to bars with super cheap drink specials, TVs with a dial knob and no lighting aside from the neon signs in the windows you'll see a great many unattractive people drinking.

Cassin

Reaction score
Axl_Rose said:
How come it's hard for me to get a hangover? I'm not trying to act all awesome and say yeah i never get hangovers but i seriously have never had one, the worst that happens is i wake up with the furry teeth.

some people never get hangovers. I know of two serious alcoholics who never get sick and that might have led to them getting so deep into addiction. Who knows.

I on the other hand get seriously sick if I even look at beer which is a shame because I love me some beer.

I know America has a bad reputation for beer but we make some of the best.

dfh90ipa1.JPG

midasetre.jpg

hdh46_dfhburtonbaton.jpg

DogFish_Beers_300.jpg

CCS

Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
CCS said:

You have apparently never been into a dive bar. Lemme tell you, if you start going to bars with super cheap drink specials, TVs with a dial knob and no lighting aside from the neon signs in the windows you'll see a great many unattractive people drinking.

Bar regulars probably are less attractive on average.
Attractive people drink for social reasons, typically. Unattractive people either don't drink, or drink for the alcohol. I bet you the people in those dive bars are there to get their fix, not to try and get laid.

If you subract the people who drink regularly, and look at those who drink just on Saturday night, I bet they look more attractive and will live longer if they keep that up their whole life instead of turning into alcoholics.

Most so called moderate drinkers probably alternate between not drinking, and going out to clubs to meet people and drinking while there. And studies say that given the same amount of alcohol, the ones who drink more frequently and less at once live the longest. That means they are out socializing more but nursing their drink to fit in.

Ugly people give up on getting laid. They either go to bars for the alcohol, or they find a non-alcoholic hobbie.

CCS

Reaction score
So I stand by my guess:

moderate drinking does not make you live longer. It just is not unhealthy enough to bridge the lifespan gap between attractive people and unattractive people.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
CCS said:

LOL these theories are hilarious. Ever thought that some people just like to drink?
Please give us your opions on attractiveness and smokers.

Good point. Lots of attractive people smoke, yet I have not see a single study linking longevity to smoking.

I could still interpret that to mean that smoking even moderately is much worse for you than drinking heavily. Sounds unlikely but it is possible.

I have heard of people living to 110 and smoking daily.

Drinking does thin your blood to reduce your chances of a heart attack, which is what kills most people. But it does other damage, and kiwi fruit thin your blood too. Smoking does not have any healthy side effects I know of. Some people think smoking once is a while is good, but I think we get enough from addapting to smog.

oni

Reaction score
CCS said:
Brains Expel Hair said:
CCS said:

Bar regulars probably are less attractive on average.
Attractive people drink for social reasons, typically. Unattractive people either don't drink, or drink for the alcohol. I bet you the people in those dive bars are there to get their fix, not to try and get laid.

If you subract the people who drink regularly, and look at those who drink just on Saturday night, I bet they look more attractive and will live longer if they keep that up their whole life instead of turning into alcoholics.

Most so called moderate drinkers probably alternate between not drinking, and going out to clubs to meet people and drinking while there. And studies say that given the same amount of alcohol, the ones who drink more frequently and less at once live the longest. That means they are out socializing more but nursing their drink to fit in.

Ugly people give up on getting laid. They either go to bars for the alcohol, or they find a non-alcoholic hobbie.
:uglylol:

Your so full of crap CCS but in a nice way......................................

Please get a life.........................................................................

How the hell do you know what people's drinking habits are!

Do you stand outside bars with a f'ing questionnaire.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Plenty of ugly people still get laid. In fact I'd wager that the actual pattern is quite opposite of what you've assumed. In my experience the people who aren't attractive go to bars specifically because of the whole beer goggles effect. They go and make sure there's no confusion to those they are talking to that they are an easy lay. Additionally It's not like ugliness is any rare condition, there are plenty of other ugly people for the other ugly people to screw.

We all tend to mate around the same attraction level as ourselves. Research into preferential mating habits has shown that aside from what we would judge ourselves, other people's rating of our physical attraction shows a much greater factor for the attraction rating of someone who we seek out. This means that all the 9's and 10's will go out and grab all the other 9's and 10's and all the 1's and 2's will go out and find other 1's and 2's.

This of course is assuming unlimited sampling size. In restricted populations this model breaks down somewhat due to the lack of an even spectrum of attractiveness across all the levels. If you're the only 8-10 in a small town, you're going to have to deal with a 5-7. If you've ever spent some time in a small town, then later moved to a major metropolitan area only to be disappointed by your new look at pictures of the "hot" babes you left behind then you've experienced this before.

I think the only real major factors in whether or not someone is actually actively seeking sex on a regular basis are hormonal abnormalities (which don't always express themselves as unattractive) and mental defects (once again not something always visible from the outside). We are a socially sexual species, being ugly doesn't change what species you're a part of.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
On the subject of alcohol and health:

I think I'm walking down that slippery slope of alcoholism and academic stress--drinking a twelve pack a night for a couple weeks is having an adverse effect on my memory. As well as judgment. Not to mention my spelling has gone down the tubes. :(

HughJass

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
On the subject of alcohol and health:

I think I'm walking down that slippery slope of alcoholism and academic stress--drinking a twelve pack a night for a couple weeks is having an adverse effect on my memory. As well as judgment. Not to mention my spelling has gone down the tubes. :(

Do something about it before you waste anymore money on booze. Avoid drug and alcohol councillors like the plague IMO!

I don't miss the hangovers or the empty bank account.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Axl_Rose said:

some people never get hangovers. I know of two serious alcoholics who never get sick and that might have led to them getting so deep into addiction. Who knows.

I on the other hand get seriously sick if I even look at beer which is a shame because I love me some beer.

I know America has a bad reputation for beer but we make some of the best.

dfh90ipa1.JPG

midasetre.jpg

hdh46_dfhburtonbaton.jpg

DogFish_Beers_300.jpg

DogFish Head, one of my favorites when it comes to IPA's. :beer:

Have you ever tried any micro-brews from TX, Cassin? These are some of my fav's from TX.

23720.jpg

Saint_Arnold_Oktoberfest-TX-2edit-200x600.jpg

3890415822_b9f3f8be47.jpg

3467922815_8210b13c83.jpg