My Finasteride Update, 22 Y/o (pics)

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
you have the result!
Here are three more, tried to part my hair the same in both. Also same lighting.

In one of the after photos does it look like the thinning has spread (hair looks flatter) or am I actually paranoid?

I do also feel that my diffused thinning has gotten a lot worse since starting so we’ll wait and see.

Attachments

• 145DCB2D-26B8-4047-96A1-6F6C8D0069D0.jpeg
    145DCB2D-26B8-4047-96A1-6F6C8D0069D0.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 845
  • 5CB4BC39-D6A4-451D-9471-9421326FB796.jpeg
    5CB4BC39-D6A4-451D-9471-9421326FB796.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 868
  • C2547EF7-69ED-411B-AD70-58DFBBE126D1.jpeg
    C2547EF7-69ED-411B-AD70-58DFBBE126D1.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude you gotta give it at least 3months before seeing any results. And yes some people shed since it’s a cycle and you might be shedding weaker hairs. To bring strong thick hairs. Just give it Time if you don’t see any results in 3-6months go to your dermatologist and talk to them about it.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just took these photos today and realized how diffused my hair has gotten. I swear when I started finasteride it wasn’t like this. I’m almost certain I have RH. I’ve lost so much density in this short amount of time.

What makes it worse is the back and sides of my head are extremely thick.

Attachments

• 38EADB6B-B177-4F2C-8D7C-C052472AF358.jpeg
    38EADB6B-B177-4F2C-8D7C-C052472AF358.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 814
  • 0F49FDA1-E318-48DF-9D91-DB0DE412E620.jpeg
    0F49FDA1-E318-48DF-9D91-DB0DE412E620.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 842

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly bro if your only on your 1.5month I would just wait another 1.5 and hopefully you get to see the results. Are you getting any side effects from finasteride?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly bro if your only on your 1.5month I would just wait another 1.5 and hopefully you get to see the results. Are you getting any side effects from finasteride?
No but I don’t think my hair was diffused when I started.

I also think I’ve grown more hair on my hands and knuckles, still have an oily face, and more acne. This has to be RH. Every day my hair looks worse

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well honestly bro don’t know what to tell you other then talk to your dermatologist and take zinc and other vitamins. You might be lacking on vitamins. Your only 22 right?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well honestly bro don’t know what to tell you other then talk to your dermatologist and take zinc and other vitamins. You might be lacking on vitamins. Your only 22 right?
Only 22. Got blood work done and no thyroid issue or anemia. I have a slight b12 and D deficiency.

All this happened a few months ago and shortly after a traumatic experience that left me in a deep depression. I still try to hope part of this is Telogen Effluvium.

When I look at the shedded hairs, none of them get thinner at the end, is that a good sign?

Audi

Reaction score
My hair was somewhat similar to yours, a bit of diffuse thinning but mostly on the crown. I didn't have any temple recession and finasteride kept my baseline which I was totally satisfied with. Then my dumb *** got off of it (I was getting it from an online pharmacy and the laws changed so I could no longer order it). During those two years my temples took a hit and the diffuse thinning got worse. Finally went to a derm and got back on it. I probably won't regain the density I lost. Stay the course, a few months is not enough. I'd rather take the advice of my Ivy League educated dermatologist who has 30+ years experience, seen/treated thousands of patients, and knows the ins and out of hair loss and hair loss treatments. Do some research and find a reputable dermatologist who can answer your questions.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair was somewhat similar to yours, a bit of diffuse thinning but mostly on the crown. I didn't have any temple recession and finasteride kept my baseline which I was totally satisfied with. Then my dumb *** got off of it (I was getting it from an online pharmacy and the laws changed so I could no longer order it). During those two years my temples took a hit and the diffuse thinning got worse. Finally went to a derm and got back on it. I probably won't regain the density I lost. Stay the course, a few months is not enough. I'd rather take the advice of my Ivy League educated dermatologist who has 30+ years experience, seen/treated thousands of patients, and knows the ins and out of hair loss and hair loss treatments. Do some research and find a reputable dermatologist who can answer your questions.
The problem is, my hair was completely different before starting. I only had some thinning in the crown. Now my whole scalp is thin (in only a little over a month). I don’t know if I should quit for a few weeks to see if it stays the same because I think it’s getting worse every day.

And I’m definitely growing more hair on the back of my hands. This has to be RH. Does anyone have any recommendations for RH?

Last edited:

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I keep trying to tell myself it’s just a shed but even a week after I was on finasteride my hair was shedding like crazy (not sure if it was like this before). And to take a huge hit like this in only a month and a half seems fishy to me.

Has anyone’s hair gotten significantly worse within this short time frame before it got better?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasterde can cause shedding for months, need to give it at least a year or two to see any results. Even then you may only maintain and not experience regrowth but there are plenty of regrowth stories. Look at this guy after 15 months http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/view_topic.php?id=2318&forum_id=38
I understand that people can shed for months, but doesn’t it usually start a month or two down the road? I’ve been shedding an insane amount since my first pill (I might’ve already been shedding like that before too).

Also when people say maintain, do they mean only maintain what they have after their shedding? Or are hairs lost during treatment expected to come back?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand that people can shed for months, but doesn’t it usually start a month or two down the road? I’ve been shedding an insane amount since my first pill (I might’ve already been shedding like that before too).

Also when people say maintain, do they mean only maintain what they have after their shedding? Or are hairs lost during treatment expected to come back?

Maintain means hair that you had previously will be retained, hair that is shedded will regrow. Takes 3/4 months for every growth cycle i think and it takes a while for miniaturized hairs to grow in to terminal hairs. Just pop your pill and try to forget about it, harder than it sounds but it's all we can do.

Audi

Reaction score
Audi and you haven’t had no side effects? Now? And during those years you took finasteride? You got any pictures?

The first few weeks I had ball ache, watery semen, and some zits on my forehead. That went away after a month. No sides at all after that. After a two year hiatus (once again, really regret doing that) I've had no sides other than maybe an increased libido. Unfortunately, not sure the medication is working as it once did, been back on for 5-6 months so just going to ride it out.

I have pictures on a different forum when first got on finasteride 5 or 6 years ago, there might be some on here as well. I'll try to find the thread.

I keep trying to tell myself it’s just a shed but even a week after I was on finasteride my hair was shedding like crazy (not sure if it was like this before). And to take a huge hit like this in only a month and a half seems fishy to me.

Has anyone’s hair gotten significantly worse within this short time frame before it got better?

From the pictures I've seen it doesn't appear you've taken a huge hit. If you're staring in the mirror all day you're going to drive yourself crazy.

The problem is, my hair was completely different before starting. I only had some thinning in the crown. Now my whole scalp is thin (in only a little over a month). I don’t know if I should quit for a few weeks to see if it stays the same because I think it’s getting worse every day.

And I’m definitely growing more hair on the back of my hands. This has to be RH. Does anyone have any recommendations for RH?

You said you did blood work before taking finasteride. If you are really worried go back to your dermatologist and get your bloodwork done to see if your hormone levels have changed. As far as RH is there any medical documentation on this or is it just a theory created on hair loss forums? Not saying it can't happen, it probably does in some instances, but there should be at least one documented case where finasteride caused someone's DHT levels to spike dramatically. You never hear about this side effect with people who take finasteride for prostate issues.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
The first few weeks I had ball ache, watery semen, and some zits on my forehead. That went away after a month. No sides at all after that. After a two year hiatus (once again, really regret doing that) I've had no sides other than maybe an increased libido. Unfortunately, not sure the medication is working as it once did, been back on for 5-6 months so just going to ride it out.

I have pictures on a different forum when first got on finasteride 5 or 6 years ago, there might be some on here as well. I'll try to find the thread.

From the pictures I've seen it doesn't appear you've taken a huge hit. If you're staring in the mirror all day you're going to drive yourself crazy.

You said you did blood work before taking finasteride. If you are really worried go back to your dermatologist and get your bloodwork done to see if your hormone levels have changed. As far as RH is there any medical documentation on this or is it just a theory created on hair loss forums? Not saying it can't happen, it probably does in some instances, but there should be at least one documented case where finasteride caused someone's DHT levels to spike dramatically. You never hear about this side effect with people who take finasteride for prostate issues.
I’ve gotten blood work after finasteride and they didn’t check hormones. RH isn’t a spike in DHT it would be a spike in your androgen receptors to DHT I believe. So even with a lower DHT, your hair would be coming out just as fast, maybe even faster.

It doesn’t look to you like I’ve taken a hit? Maybe I am driving myself crazy.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s an update guys. Yesterday I counted the hairs in my shower hair catcher and it was around 30-35 (better than the 50+ I usually shed). This morning i counted up 23.

For the last week I have been getting the itch though. Definitely a bit worried.