Oarf11's Story -(Update 3 months on finasteride/nizoral!)

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Oarf11's Story - (20 / and thinning at the crown (PICS)

Is your idea of Accutane based on that 20+ page thread on Accutane and sebum?

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Oarf11's Story -NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLZ!!

I've been using nizoral for about 3 weeks and coconut oil for 2 weeks and my hair does not appear to be improving in those spots that look thinner than the rest.

My mom just asked me about my hair on the side and said that it seems like she can see down to my scalp really well. She knows my scalp has been dry and that I've been rubbing it, so she told me to stop touching it. I haven't told her that I'm worried it might be androgenic alopecia.

Looking at my pics and gathering some opinions from various sources, it does not appear that my hair is following the classic male pattern baldness shape. My thinning is only on the sides and a bit in back.

I REALLY want to hear what people on here think about my hair. Hopefully more people will respond.

I did get a finasteride prescription from my derma, but I don't think he examined me that thoroughly. My GP also looked at my scalp with some magnifying thing and a light and said there didn't appear to be anything wrong on the scalp.

Can I conclude that I'm losing my hair due to DHT and not something else? I want this to stop now, and I'd even like to see some regrowth with finasteride, if possible. For someone in their early 20s, this is obviously a very troubling thing, as I'm sure most of you can sympathize. Thank you!!

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Oarf11's Story -(NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLZ!!)

Update: Today has been exactly 1 month since I started taking finasteride. I have also been using nizoral 3 days/week and use Head and Shoulders on the other days. I have not seen any improvement yet, which obviously is not surprising.

I must admit, I have become rather depressed about the way that my hair looks. Anyone that has gone through this ordeal knows what I'm talking about, and the last 2-3 weeks have just been really depressing. I'm down in the dumps and I'm constantly thinking about my hair...constantly. I'm trying like hell not to, but it's so hard not to want to check it out every time I catch my reflection.

Below are some photos I took today, sorry for the poor quality. My hair has always been very thin, so I think the loss that I have experienced has just been magnified by that trait. I can't stop thinking about the fact that I may have to shave my head one day. The one thing I hate about the shaved look is that EVERYONE seems to look the same when they shave their head. You don't realize how distinct your hair makes you until you start thinking about shaving it I guess.

Anyway, here are the pics. I was hoping some of you could look at it and tell me if you think my hair has gotten worse since my original pics, which were taken almost 3 months ago. Also, how does the shape of my head look for going shaved one day? I think I'm just going to keep a short buzz until I see improvement.

infamous

Reaction score
Re: Oarf11's Story -(1 month on finasteride/nizoral!)

Your hair doesn't seem too bad. At least it's better than mine.

And, your head shape is fine, shaved head will suit you well.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply infamous.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score

Just got a haircut, and I'm admittedly feeling kinda crappy about my hair. I just don't understand why it is thinning in the back and at the corners. Really frustrating.

It's been 2 months and about a week on finasteride/nizoral. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I don't think there's been a change one way or the other.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score

Questions, comments, advice, opinions, etc. are all welcome. My apologies for the picture quality.

DarkSockedFox

Reaction score
Re: Oarf11's Story -(Update 2 months on finasteride/nizoral!)

I wouldn't get so down about it... imo, your hair/hairline looks good.
Picture quality + fine hair + blonde = hard to really tell, but if it's a little thin in places, I say just relax and let the finasteride/nizoral do their thing. Remember, gotta give these things time and stressing out about it is not gonna help the situation (though I know how hard it is not to).

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words/advice DarkSocked.

Question for anyone though: If I take my fingers and spread them apart, and then run my hand through may head starting from the back to the front, small white flakes always coming out. What is this? I shampoo with Head and Shoulders every other day and use nizoral in between. I doubt it would be dandruff. Is this just sebum or something?

During the afternoon, after not touching my head all day, I normally shake my heads through my hair and I usually get a good amount of these white flakes out. Some hairs will fall out as well. I think some of the hairs falling out is a product of coarsely rubbing my hands on my scalp though.

Galaxy86

Reaction score

In my opinion I think the way your hair grows out, makes it appear worse than it actually is. Because your hair is very straight and it sticks/spikes out when its that short, it makes it easier to see the scalp. Once you grow it to a longer length, gravity should pull down the hair helping it cover the scalp more.

Well that's what it looks like to me.

Peace.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score

This picture was just taken of me using a digital camera, with a better flash than my phone. Unfortunately the room was pretty dark though. This is 4 weeks since my last haircut.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't really tell if my hair is getting worse or not. The camera quality sucks. I think it looks about the same as my first pics though, to be honest. finasteride hasn't really done anything yet, but I'm hoping I'll be one of those people that sees good results in months 4-6. I'm young and I got my loss pretty early.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm so tempted to start minoxidil to attempt to fill in those spots on the sides and back, but I'm going to resist as long as I can. My goal is to make it a year before I change anything, but it's difficult.

Dealing with this has been a downer for sure. My hair has always been thin enough to see down to the scalp, but those obvious openings on the side and back are new. I'm really hoping the finasteride works for me, because no one wants to shave their head, especially at 21.

On a scale of 1-10, would anyone like to grade what my hair looks like from the pics? Be as honest as possible.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair doesn't look good long since it's fine and lifeless, but at least it helps me forget about my spots where I'm thinning when I look in the mirror.

I just got a haircut today and it's depressing as hell. Everyone has their own degree of hair loss, and when you're not used to seeing something it's disturbing. I hope I get some fcking regrowth on finasteride!!!

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I don't know man, every time I see these pics, it looks to me its just a combination of light + fine + super straight hair that sticks out straight. You don't have the densest hair in the world, I'm sure we'd all love to have hair like Elvis but we don't.

If you are getting no sheds and no real difference on finasteride you might not have any kind of balding...probably want to continue watching the hairline to make sure it never recedes though.

hairandthere

Reaction score
Well, for what it's worth and to be honest, I do think it is male pattern baldness and that in one of the pics you can see where the crown balding is going to take place. I was 20 when I started finasteride because I saw the same thin spots on the sides and into the crown. I would stick to it if I were you. I stayed on finasteride for 15 months in 2004-2005 and by the end those thin spots on the side had thickened back to or almost back to normal. I stopped finasteride due to combo of girlfriend, fear that gyno and loss of libido was occuring, and some others. I did minoxidil for a couple years but never consistently until it got bad enough to where I hopped back on finasteride and minoxidil in 2009 and a few months later added dutasteride. Been 6 months and holding, going to be adding RU soon to fight male pattern baldness all out but I shouldn't have quit finasteride in the first place. So take this into consideration for your experience!

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the two differing, yet much appreciated responses.

My hair has definitely always been fine, straight, and transparent, but I'm concerned now because of those spots on the crown and back that seem to have become more open.

I'm gonna keep on rocking the finasteride and perhaps start minoxidil around month 8 if I'm not seeing change.

I've got a general question about shedding though. I've seen people talk about brushing their hair and losing 30 hairs at a time. Is this literally all in one brush? When I rub my hands through my hair, I can get a few hairs out. Once I see a couple come out I usually rub my head pretty vigorously to see if anymore hairs will come out. After about 20-30 fast rubs, I got about 30 hairs out. Part of me wonders if it's a shed, but then part of me thinks, "well no sh*t hair is going to get pulled out if you vigorously rub your head." :doh:

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
oarf11 said:
Thanks for the two differing, yet much appreciated responses.

My hair has definitely always been fine, straight, and transparent, but I'm concerned now because of those spots on the crown and back that seem to have become more open.

I'm gonna keep on rocking the finasteride and perhaps start minoxidil around month 8 if I'm not seeing change.

I've got a general question about shedding though. I've seen people talk about brushing their hair and losing 30 hairs at a time. Is this literally all in one brush? When I rub my hands through my hair, I can get a few hairs out. Once I see a couple come out I usually rub my head pretty vigorously to see if anymore hairs will come out. After about 20-30 fast rubs, I got about 30 hairs out. Part of me wonders if it's a shed, but then part of me thinks, "well no sh*t hair is going to get pulled out if you vigorously rub your head." :doh:

I don't think its really shedding at that point, a lot of people with short(er) hair will probably have that happen.

A lot of women shed way more hairs than that but theirs all grow back fine.