Olive oil.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@ Byran.

I thought it was well known that Vitamin E is used for moisturizing the skin.

@ Uncle Fester.

Why don't they use it every day? It's cheap...
I can imagine the lemon juice would be harsh for daily use though.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you use any sort of olive oil? Extra virgin? Organic? etc.

Personally I can't see myself trying it (I can't go around with oil on my head), but it interests me anyway. I would have expected everyone to have been doing it for years though if it really helped....

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
-Yeah , Extra virgin is supposedly the best according to online sources.

-I just apply it at night and leave it on all night and wash it off in the morning.

-Yeah , I don't think it really is a treatment , but it has helped with my hair and I will continue to use it. Someone else try it and see how it works..

G

decro435 said:
-Yeah , Extra virgin is supposedly the best according to online sources.

-I just apply it at night and leave it on all night and wash it off in the morning.

-Yeah , I don't think it really is a treatment , but it has helped with my hair and I will continue to use it. Someone else try it and see how it works..

Well I would use it but I already use many oils. As I said, the oils have helped with hair loss. I can brush my hair over and over, rub it and all sorts when it's dry and I am lucky if I see one hair. I notice 1 or 2, if any hairs on my pillow when I wake up. My hair doesn't feel stronger but it is for sure.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
@ Byran.

I thought it was well known that Vitamin E is used for moisturizing the skin.

I don't doubt that vitamin E oil _could_ be used for that purpose, as most any safe oil might be used for that. What puzzled me is that you seemed to be implying that there's something unique (or nearly unique) to vitamin E which would make it particularly useful as a moisturizer. I can't imagine what that would be, which is why I asked.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
Olive oil also contains lots of oleic acid, which inhibits DHT. The oleic acid is not in its free form, but it still might be an explanation for the anecdotal reports that surface from time to time.

Rework24

Established Member
Reaction score
so let me get this straight..

you buy some extra virgin olive oil from tesco - pour onto head and rub it in?

that about the jist of this experimental treatment?

G

Rework24 said:

Yes, but leave in for several hours or overnight before you wash it off.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I reckon it works for me because of inflammation. I've always had very bad inflammation even with the use of Nizoral. An anti-inflammatory that moisturizes aswell as well as keeps down inflammation unlike Nizoral that tends to dry out my scalp completely.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
goten574 said:
Rework24 said:

Yes, but leave in for several hours or overnight before you wash it off.

I used to live in a warm mediterranean country where I'd pour it onto my head and rub it in at daytime and it'd dry up in a couple of hour. Now I live in the lovely UK and olive oil on ly head in antisocial.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is from the DS labs website:

Spectral.DNC-L strongly inhibits the action of 5-alpha-reductase, thus limiting DHT, sebum, and hair loss.

The best inhibitor, olive extract standardized with its active ingredient, verbascoside, blocks 5-alpha-reductase for healthy sebum regulation. Ripe olives contain biophenols, a class of molecule known for antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties. A major component of the biophenols, verbascoside inhibits 5-alpha-reductase type-2 at a rate 3.5 times greater than the second compound, serenoa repens.

http://www.divineskin.com/spectralDNC-L ... ctive.html

There is the page in which you will read that.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Coconut oil is better than olive oil for atopic dermatitis

In this study, both olive oil and coconut oil were effective, but coconut oil even more so. This doesn't of course mean that it will grow hair on your head, but the fact that it's antiseptic, improves atopic skin, prevents dryness, has oleic acid (which is anti-DHT), and repairs hair protein damage makes coconut oil a pretty viable candidate for experimentation.

G

JLL said:
Coconut oil is better than olive oil for atopic dermatitis

In this study, both olive oil and coconut oil were effective, but coconut oil even more so. This doesn't of course mean that it will grow hair on your head, but the fact that it's antiseptic, improves atopic skin, prevents dryness, has oleic acid (which is anti-DHT), and repairs hair protein damage makes coconut oil a pretty viable candidate for experimentation.

Which is why coconut oil was one of the first things I used in my regimen. I don't think it can regrew hair though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JLL said:
has oleic acid (which is anti-DHT)...

The oleic acid in natural oils isn't anti-DHT.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
JLL said:
has oleic acid (which is anti-DHT)...

But oleic acid in something else is?

http://www.hubmed.org/display.cgi?uids=12033503

The authors conclude that the ethanol extract of Lygodii Spora showed a significant anti-androgenic activity. They suggest that the effect is caused by the fatty acids in the extract, namely oleic, linoleic and palmitic acids, which were shown to inhibit 5-alpha-reductase in another experiment of the study. Palmitic acid was about three times as effective as oleic and linoleic acid.

Lygodium japonicum promotes hair growth

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JLL said:
Bryan said:

Yes, apparently. Studies have clearly shown that when fatty acids like oleic, linoleic, gamma-linolenic, etc. are esterified with glycerin to form mono-, di-, and triglycerides, their ability to inhibit 5a-reductase is almost totally abolished. The fatty acids have to be in their FREE form to do that. Most common natural oils (olive oil, safflower oil, corn oil, etc.) have their fatty acids almost entirely in the form of triglycerides, with only trace levels of free fatty acids (maybe 1% or 2% or so).

On the other hand, there are probably a few plants around the world which have larger quantities of free fatty acids than the common ones, and that Japanese plant in those links must be one of them. That's apparently why it's able to produce a noticeable inhibition of 5a-reductase.

luke 21:18

Reaction score
This sounds promising, i'll give it a go, for those that are trying as well, stay updated :punk:

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
JLL said:
Bryan said:

Yes, apparently. Studies have clearly shown that when fatty acids like oleic, linoleic, gamma-linolenic, etc. are esterified with glycerin to form mono-, di-, and triglycerides, their ability to inhibit 5a-reductase is almost totally abolished. The fatty acids have to be in their FREE form to do that. Most common natural oils (olive oil, safflower oil, corn oil, etc.) have their fatty acids almost entirely in the form of triglycerides, with only trace levels of free fatty acids (maybe 1% or 2% or so).

On the other hand, there are probably a few plants around the world which have larger quantities of free fatty acids than the common ones, and that Japanese plant in those links must be one of them. That's apparently why it's able to produce a noticeable inhibition of 5a-reductase.

I see... interesting. So why not buy oleic acid in its free form and slap it on your scalp?