Olive oil.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JLL said:
I see... interesting. So why not buy oleic acid in its free form and slap it on your scalp?

Feel free to do that! :) However, about the only place I know of where you can buy fatty acids is from a chemical company, and it's very unlikely that you could find one willing to sell chemicals to an individual such as yourself. Generally, you have to be a doctor or scientist of some sort, and have an account with such a company before they'd even consider selling you chemicals. However, you _might_ be able to find material like that for sale in science shops, or similar specialty outlets.

BTW, I probably wouldn't recommend oleic acid for that purpose. Even though it should be the cheapest and easiest to store of the common 18-carbon unsaturated fatty acids, it's not a very potent 5a-reductase inhibitor at all. Linoleic acid is more expensive than oleic acid, but it's also considerably more potent. Gamma-linolenic acid is the most potent of all, but it's prohibitively expensive, and very difficult to store. I think linoleic acid would probably be the best compromise between cost and performance (assuming you could find any for sale).

luke 21:18

Reaction score
I've been using olive oil for about a week and every time I run my hands through my hair, alot comes out, maybe i'm using too much and am stoping the scalp/pores from breathing, don't know, just seems like i'm loosing alot more

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
maranatha said:
I've been using olive oil for about a week and every time I run my hands through my hair, alot comes out, maybe i'm using too much and am stoping the scalp/pores from breathing, don't know, just seems like i'm loosing alot more

You should use emu oil its anti inflammatory and doesnt clog pores.

luke 21:18

Reaction score
follicle84 said:
maranatha said:

can this be bought OTC, Cvs or some health foods store?

G

maranatha said:
follicle84 said:
maranatha said:

can this be bought OTC, Cvs or some health foods store?

eBay is a good place

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
maranatha said:

Did you quit maranatha?

I'm starting to believe that olive oil is only good for it's cooling effect on the scalp. Looking back at it, I see that my scalp is always hot and itchy. Inflammation obviously thrives in the heat, so applying a oil would cool it down, therefore making it feel like it is actually helping when all it is doing is cooling the scalp. It's the same effect as when I have a cold shower or a short haircut. The scalp get's to cool down, therefore there is less heat and therefore less inflammation. Hmmm... :dunno:

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, someone on HLH was applying an olive oil and beer mixture to his scalp. Reported the same thing. Hair looked better and stopped his shedding.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am NW2, well diffusing into NW2. Regime is olive oil, cod liver oil, Nourkrin tablets.

I have certainly noticed that my hair has been thicker with this regime. When dry, I shred 0 hairs if I rub my hand through my hairs. I only shred hair after showering (I would say 6-7 MAX) but throughout the day after that, very little.

I use olive oil in both my diet and use it as an alternative to gels, wax if I need to style my hair. The olive oil has definently helped with thickness, some days I do not even need to use product on my hair, prior to using it - I was using products everyday.

I will keep you guys updated.

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 345
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 316
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 349

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@ Oknow.

If you are suffering Androgentic Alopecia, then your regimen isn't enough to treat your problem. You need to tackle the main cause of Androgenetic Alopecia, which are the male androgens, most notably DHT. I reccomend Finasteride etc..., my guess is you are going for the natural route, maybe you're unable to take Finasteride?. I don't know, anyways that regimen will not stop you losing hair though it might make your hair appear thicker and healthier, it will still degrade.

As for the pics, the hair does look healthier in the 3rd picture. This could be for a number of reasons (lighting, extra vitamins, sleep, shower etc.).

G

decro, check your pm box, I replied to your message. Not sure if you got it but you should have.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
decro435 said:
@ Oknow.

If you are suffering Androgentic Alopecia, then your regimen isn't enough to treat your problem. You need to tackle the main cause of Androgenetic Alopecia, which are the male androgens, most notably DHT. I reccomend Finasteride etc..., my guess is you are going for the natural route, maybe you're unable to take Finasteride?. I don't know, anyways that regimen will not stop you losing hair though it might make your hair appear thicker and healthier, it will still degrade.

As for the pics, the hair does look healthier in the 3rd picture. This could be for a number of reasons (lighting, extra vitamins, sleep, shower etc.).

decro thanks for your response. I have attached another photo, with my regime for my hair. I have added vitamin pills, B vitamin pills, along with olive oil and nourkin tablets as stated earlier etc. Stopped using products too, gel, wax, and it has definently got thicker.

It is likely my hair will degrade, but I think at the moment it isn't that bad. I am hopeful that if it does really degrade, it will be by the time I am in my 40-50s. My hair if anything is like James Andersons (who is 26):

http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/12.$plit/C_71_ ... _image.jpg

Done some research into hairloss in my family, met up with an uncle of mine today, he has a slight receeded hairline, but at 40 is a NW2 as well. Grandfather lost his hair at around 50 or so. In my family only one uncle is bald, cousins all have receeded hairlines at 28/29 (NW2) but it is not heavy. I am 23 and NW1/NW2.

If mine receeds badly by my mid-late 20 I will definently look into treatments. I am trying to avoid fins until absolutely neccessary. For now, I am just trying to slow down the process, as I know my hairloss is not that aggressive.

I haven't been sleeping properly by the way.

Sorry about the lighting, but as you can see my hair is quite dark.

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 288

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, if your hair loss is only small, then I fully agree not going on Finasteride. Messing with hormones is a dangerous game. When you see any recession or thinning, consider it.

Those extra vitamins and oils should put your hair, skin and nails into optimum health, it could slow down hair loss, but who knows?

rcom440

Reaction score
Good topic. Years ago I remember a hair stylist saying that olive oil slows down hair loss. He also said that it's the only thing that he's using and he truly believed that it works. I was surprised that instead of trying to sell someone Nioxin shampoo from the saloon, he was telling to go for olive oil.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
In the next week I will start using olive oil 3x a week along with aloe vera

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Feel free to do that! :) However, about the only place I know of where you can buy fatty acids is from a chemical company, and it's very unlikely that you could find one willing to sell chemicals to an individual such as yourself. Generally, you have to be a doctor or scientist of some sort, and have an account with such a company before they'd even consider selling you chemicals.
I even managed to buy AG1478 (quite a rare chemical which follica are experimenting with) by stating that I was with a university (which was true but not from any chemistry depertment).

I think it is just a matter of how you present your case.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
astros148 said:
Coconut oil > olive oil

Coconut Oil Is Better than Olive Oil for Atopic Dermatitis

Topically applied virgin coconut oil reduced Staphylococcus aureus colonization in 95% of the patients, compared to 50% reduction from virgin olive oil. Coconut oil also improved atopic dermatitis severity scores more than olive oil. Twice a day application of virgin coconut oil may thus be helpful in treating atopic dermatitis.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
It's only the small size LDL that is harmful. High LDL levels is not necessarily bad.

Thickster

Reaction score
The only thing I heard about oil is that we have to be careful that it can also loosen hairs. I notice that my hair comes out the most when it's wet.

There is a small salon in LA called Shades in beverly hills, which makes a hair oil that is supposed to be good. It might be worth checking out.

I've also read about people using pumpkin seed oil and avocado oil and liking their results.

Has anyone tried the new mineral product Crown, I'm really wondering about that one. I've just started thinning; I don't have a routine. I'm just doing research. I found that one on like page 40 of Google and wondering is anyone has used it.

Also the one Matthew McCoughney (sp?) used, his hair looks better and he said it was a product, not surgery.

Thanks,

decro435 said:
I started applying Olive oil to my hair the last few nights because it has become very dry and brittle from the use of Nizoral and coal tar products. It has a great moisturizing effect and my hair feels great for once. But , one thing I noticed that I never expected to happen to me was that my shedding has seemed to have completely stopped. Also my inflammation as gone down a lot.

I don't believe that olive oil is any type of treament for hair loss but I believe that my hair was deeply dehydrated. If your hair is dry and scalp is itchy you should give this a go.

Next I'm going to implement Jojoba and emu oil into a nightly regimen. Has anyone had success in keeping their scalp and hair healthy with these oils?