Starscream's Story

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks really good. The crown is a little larger then normal, but it's nothing bad that's for sure!

However your hairline is really good. I would kill to have hair that thick around there, mate, it's good you started early.

8)

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TheSpeculum02 said:
Your hair looks really good. The crown is a little larger then normal, but it's nothing bad that's for sure!

However your hairline is really good. I would kill to have hair that thick around there, mate, it's good you started early.

8)

I don' t know what to think, my hairline was straight a few years ago while now it seems it' s getting to a widows peak hairline.
widows-peak.gif

In an italian forum many people talk about something they call "physiological temple loss" on men, but i never read of something similar in this forum. They say some men can start losing hair on temples and get a "widows peak" shape but this doesn' t mean they are affected by baldness.
I still have most of my hair and the loss on temples is not seriuos but i' d like to be able to determine wheteher this is the first step of balding or not.

Some pictures of me now. I have longer hair and the little spot on the crown is not visible anymore, while bald temples are covered by long hair.

aaa0033io4.jpg

aaa0034ke3.jpg

aaa0031ir7.jpg

aaaa0044ps3.jpg

aaa00452tf5.jpg

Looking back at the pictures of may in the first page of this thread, i feel like the situation on temples got worse during the summer. Or it is just my paranoia?

G

Hello starscream,

to me your hair looks the same as last time, you obviously show maintenance. I think you are a little bit paranoid (such as myself :roll: ).

The thing you are refering to as "physiological temple loss" is considered a "mature hair line" in English forums I think. But I wouldn´t trust on you having one. It is a risky and as long as you don´t have any major side effects I would recommend you to stick with finasteride. Good luck and keep us updated about your situation.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Hello starscream,

to me your hair looks the same as last time, you obviously show maintenance. I think you are a little bit paranoid (such as myself :roll: ).

The thing you are refering to as "physiological temple loss" is considered a "mature hair line" in English forums I think. But I wouldn´t trust on you having one. It is a risky and as long as you don´t have any major side effects I would recommend you to stick with finasteride. Good luck and keep us updated about your situation.

Hi Taugenichts. Maybe my hair looks the same as the last time (May) but surely not like when i was about 18.
I just bought a HP multifunction so i can scan some old photos.
These pictures are from 1999 to 2001 when i was about 17/18/19 years old. In the short hair pictures you can see the straight hairline while in the long hair pictures you can see the density of the two hair parts is much higher than now beacause the two parts now miss hair from the temples.
So "something" did really happen to my hair in the last years. My hairline from straight has become a "V" hairline and consequently i have lost some density.
But does propecia work for temples and should i keep on taking it to prevent crown loss or it' s more wise to wait and see if i' m under male baldness or not?

1999 to 2001 pictures
01px9.jpg

03mw5.jpg

G

Hey Starscream,

yes it is pretty obvious that your hairline receded in the last years. I personally doubt that your hair will stay like that in the near future. To me it looks as if there is going on "something" more than just a mature hairline. I recommend you to stay on Propecia which also works for the temples area. In the end it is up to you to decide how much your hair is worth to you and whether you take the risk of stoping Propecia.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Hey Starscream,

yes it is pretty obvious that your hairline receded in the last years. I personally doubt that your hair will stay like that in the near future. To me it looks as if there is going on "something" more than just a mature hairline. I recommend you to stay on Propecia which also works for the temples area. In the end it is up to you to decide how much your hair is worth to you and whether you take the risk of stoping Propecia.

I stopped taking propecia the 4th of July after about 2 years.
I did it because it is the only way to check if i suffer from baldness or only from a quick temple recession due to "physiological" mature hairline.
I also have the feeling as there is something more than mature hairline but i have decided i can' t stay under propecia for life with this doubt.
I just wish i didn' t do a big mistake.

G

Take monthly pictures of your hair then so that you can react when your hairline is receding again.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Take monthly pictures of your hair then so that you can react when your hairline is receding again.

For sure ;)
I' m gonna post pictures of the temples and the crown constantly (lie each month) so all you can help me to see if i' m still losing hair or not. With long hair i find many on the hands when i shower but i think it is normal considering i use much style gel that "stuck" hair until you wash your head.

Reaction score
YOur hair loss is very similar to mine. I agree with u about the crown/vertex thinning being much more important then the temple area. I dont mind a "mature" hairline at all but i really hate the fact that i have a really thin area on my crown that extends down my head in the middle.

GOod luck with your situation and just be glad that u are doign somethign about this now. If u coudl maintain what u have for awhile i think ud look pretty good, u still have a lot of hair man.

G

Your hair looks great, man... my hair has never been nowhere near as thick as yours. Anyway, what's going on in Italy? I watch a lot of Italian football and there seems to be a couple of naturally bald young men in almost every team in Serie A. Don't be afraid, you mediterranean people tend to look great with a shaved head. Good luck in your battle anyway!

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Letsget2thepoint-51 said:
YOur hair loss is very similar to mine. I agree with u about the crown/vertex thinning being much more important then the temple area. I dont mind a "mature" hairline at all but i really hate the fact that i have a really thin area on my crown that extends down my head in the middle.

GOod luck with your situation and just be glad that u are doign somethign about this now. If u coudl maintain what u have for awhile i think ud look pretty good, u still have a lot of hair man.

I' d be very happy if my hair will be like now ort he next ten years. I' don' t mind about the temple loss itself, but the fact it can be the first step of balding. I mean...now i have lost some hair on the temples...what' s next? There is a next step of loss or maybe i' m gonna stay with this "mature" hairline for the next years? That' my problem.

GrowHairGrow! said:
Your hair looks great, man... my hair has never been nowhere near as thick as yours. Anyway, what's going on in Italy? I watch a lot of Italian football and there seems to be a couple of naturally bald young men in almost every team in Serie A. Don't be afraid, you mediterranean people tend to look great with a shaved head. Good luck in your battle anyway!

Thanks. As you sad in your post i' m a beginning receder and so i still look normal. I don' t think shaved head looks great on same.
If you are black it is better cause hair are black and skin is black.
But when you talk about white people i think it depends more on the face, esepcially the nose, the jaw and the shape of skull/head.
For example, if you are the one in your avatar, i think you look much better than me with shaved head 'cause you have the right face.
I think for example thath Ljungberg look great with shaved head while Maccarone sucks :) (for americans: they are soccer players)

Futhermore if you lose hair it is much better if you are blond beacause it is less noticeble. If you have dark hair and white skin, like me, the contrast between the milk white scalp and the dark hair kills you as soon as you begin to thin.

About the Serie A guys i' ve always thought soccer players suffer of balding less than normal people and i don' t know why.
I don' t rememebr bald young (20-23) players...if i think about it now, only Maccarone and Rosina come to my mind.

I know for sure that many players use artificail hair, like Donadel, or Milanese who played in my town team and was almost bald and the day after he had a head full of hair.
Well, about another guy who played here when we were in serie A, i' m talking about Hedman: i noticed he started losing hair when he was here (2003/2004). Then he played Euro 2004 for Sweden and he was shaved.
I thought he was retired now, but just yesterday i saw him because he joined Chelsea after the injuries of Cech and Cudicini. Hedman still have the same amount of hair he had in 2004. But now he left them grow and look pretty weird IMHO (he has a goddes wife anyway :) )
hedman_RK5D0674.jpg

G

Heh, I didn't know Donadel wears a wig. Lol, my respect to the dude dropped severely after you told that. Anyway, I'm sure there's lots more bald football players in Italy... de Ascentis, Stellone, Bresciano (he is of Italian ancestry), Ferri etc. Tommaso Rocchi ain't that old either.

I've always thought Maccarone looks great. I couldn't imagine him with hair.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
Heh, I didn't know Donadel wears a wig. Lol, my respect to the dude dropped severely after you told that. Anyway, I'm sure there's lots more bald football players in Italy... de Ascentis, Stellone, Bresciano (he is of Italian ancestry), Ferri etc. Tommaso Rocchi ain't that old either.

I've always thought Maccarone looks great. I couldn't imagine him with hair.

Well, Maccarone was half bald when he played for Empoli in serie B in 2002/2003 and he was about 23/24. Stellone and Rocchi are 29 so they are not so young. De Ascentis is shaved but is full blond hair (like De Rossi). He has no problem, not even mature hairline:
http://www.gazzetta.it/MinieraDocument/ ... is_die.jpg

You are right about Bresciano.
About Ferri i don' t know since i' ve never seen him.
Donadel was balding a few years ago. I know it well because when i started having problems with hair i began to watch every man hair, especially of soccer players 'cause i watch a lot of it.
I don' t know how but now Donadel has restored a full pack of blond/red hair while he lost most of his hairline when he was around 20.

"Old version" Donadel, surely all of his temple hair were gone:

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Pho ... SQUARE.jpg

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_fo ... 8_GH_L.jpg

http://doria.altervista.org/giocatori/2005/donadel.jpg

G

Starscream said:
Well, Maccarone was half bald when he played for Empoli in serie B in 2002/2003 and he was about 23/24. Stellone and Rocchi are 29 so they are not so young. De Ascentis is shaved but is full blond hair (like De Rossi). He has no problem, not even mature hairline:
http://www.gazzetta.it/MinieraDocument/ ... is_die.jpg

I'd say that if you're 29 and bald you still have balded prematurely. I mean, for example Rocchi and Stellone were probably noticeably balding for at least a few years before they began shaving. Anyway, other young baldies that came into my mind are the argos Cambiasso and Figueroa (former Villarreal player).

Figueroa a few years back, he's shaving now:
http://it.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/UCL/338910_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg

Starscream said:
You are right about Bresciano.
About Ferri i don' t know since i' ve never seen him.
Donadel was balding a few years ago. I know it well because when i started having problems with hair i began to watch every man hair, especially of soccer players 'cause i watch a lot of it.
I don' t know how but now Donadel has restored a full pack of blond/red hair while he lost most of his hairline when he was around 20.

Here's Michele Ferri, 25, currently playing for Cagliari:

http://www.cagliaricalcio.net/public/im ... re/390.jpg

Starscream said:

Lol, nice wig Donadel.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All you can do is begin treatment with proven medication (the big 3), its seems that your hairline will probably receed in a more distinguished manner than many of us on these forums but I understand that it is all relative.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your hair is good and smilar to what mine was 6 months ago excepet I only had recession at one temple side...then it started to move back the other side to join it and now the centre from has thined dramatically.

So that's what may happen the front centre will start to thin and then move back if you were like me. Mine has been very rapid and that's rare at my age but suggest you get on the big 3 now like I should have done and you can keep all yours and maybe get those temples to come back in a bit.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys. Here' s a little update with pictures from late december to now.
It' s about 6 month i' ve stopped finasteride then.
I notice a little regression on temples but maybe it' s just my paranoia...i don' t know. The situation on crown and vertex is exactly the same.
I wish a better new year to everybody!

Look at every picture please :)

http://windcharger.spaces.live.com/photos/

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
May i ask you why have you stopped finasteride?

I didn' t do it beacuse of the side effects.
At least not mainly for this reason. The only side effect i noticed for sure was a more liquid sperm. And maybe less morning woods.
I stopped mainly because i had to check if finasteride was really helping me on temples. In the medicine instructions there is written there is no evidence finasteride helps on temple regression.
Furthermore many people on italian forums (and an on-line doctor too) say that my loss can be only a phisiological loss on temples (mature hairline) and struggling with it like it was baldness is wrong.
My dermatolgist himself is not completely sure that my loss on temples is Androgenetic Alopecia because it is very slow and my crown and vertex are okay.
The only way to check was to stop finasteride and so i did at my own risk.
For this reason i' d be very grateful to you (and anyone else) if you can tell me if you think my temples worsened or not.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Its hard for me to determine from those out of focus shots. But I think your hair looks kinda the same, if not a bit worse.

Some hair loss can progress really slowly. I think you can tell by the miniaturizing hairs if its progressing past a point you are comfortable with.

My hairline has been receding for the past 9 years, and only now I'm doing something about it. Though I feel I should have started a year earlier.