Study: Licorice, peppermint DECREASE sebum secretion

CCS

Reaction score
Re: Re:

Jkkezh said:
Btw: Anyone know how they tested the effect of licorice and peppermint in this study???

yeah, or just how strong they were would also be nice to know. I hope it was not a pubmed study. I can get it at the science library if it is not. Very worth reading.

I'm bothered the lavander grew hair on MB's toe. That means it is not a powerful estrogen, at least compared to whatever else it does. I would be nice if it was a general growth stimulant like minoxidil, but different. He did get a strong effect, which would be nice on head hair.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also going to try using the jojoba as a carrier oil for the peppermint and apply it to my hair, I think this should give better penetration then just water.,

Pure jojoba oil, in my opinion is one of the best product for hair and skin.

Armando

mumuka

Established Member
Reaction score

Jkkezh said:
I am also going to try using the jojoba as a carrier oil for the peppermint and apply it to my hair, I think this should give better penetration then just water.,

First time i put the peppermint oil on my head was mixed in jojoba oil . So i had 98% jojoba +2%peppermint oil.

I massaged the mix in my scalp every night for a few minutes but i felt NO TINGLING SENSATION

Michael told me that he is mixing the peppermint with purified water so i mixed my in tricomin (the first ingredient in it is purified water) and i applied it to my scalp. My scalp feels like i apply ice packs on it.

Anyone has any idea why there was no tingling sensation when i mixed peppermint oil in jojoba oil? Armando ? Anyone?

By the way i used jojoba because i thought is going to give me better absorption.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i was about to go buy some peppermint oil but then thought, how is this stuff going to get to the hair follicle with just purified water as a vehicle?

CCS

Reaction score

mumuka said:
Anyone has any idea why there was no tingling sensation when i mixed peppermint oil in jojoba oil? Armando ? Anyone?

yay! a simple chemistry question!

Ethanol evaporates fast. And when mixed with water, the water evaporates fast too. That is the tricomin. Oil does not evaporate fast.

When you have a cup of water at 70 degrees, that just means the average temp is 70. The molecules actually have a bell curve of temperatures, some of which are at 212 degrees. Those ones evaporate. Boiling is just fast evaporation, where even molecules in the middle turn to gas. When the hottest molecules leave, the average temperature of those remaining is reduced. That is how evaporative cooling works. The faster something evaporates, the faster the heat can leave, which is why alcohol feels so cool on your skin.

So that is why the oil does not feel cool.

As for the peppermint, I bet it stimulates circulation near the surface somehow. Irritation or something, I don't know. Probably not irritation, but circulation near the surface. More blood near the surface means more heat leaves your scalp to the liquid. So your scalp cools even faster because you lose all that heat.

Your body senses the difference between skin temp and outside temp, which is why you feel cold when you have a fever. But if you were exposed to just cool air, the air right next to your head would heat up, and be caught by your hair, and you'd feel warmer with your blood vessels near the surface. But because your scalp is touching quickly evaporating fluid, which is denser and has a higher heat capacity, you get cooled down faster. It's like the difference between jumping in 60 degree water or 60 degree air.

CCS

Reaction score
blaze said:
i was about to go buy some peppermint oil but then thought, how is this stuff going to get to the hair follicle with just purified water as a vehicle?

got me on that one. I would put some in shampoo, like maybe 1/2% tops. I think even that would burn. I think 4 drops would be a better starting dose.

And just because it does not feel cold does not mean it is not working.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
I just washed with a mint and tea tree shower gel. That stuff really burns, or cools, whatever, feels kinda nice :freaked: . I will try some in shampoo too.

michael barry

Reaction score
Carrier oils penetrate the dermis very well. Grape seed and jojoba are used as "carrier oils" for some of the other essential oils (thyme, cedarwood or pine, sage, rosemary).

Peppermint oil on its own is extremely strong. Its a "volatile" oil, and thus has to be diluted. It penetrates the dermis however, as it reduced my beard hair. There was no inflammation on my chin at all, in fact it seemingly made the skin kinda soft and well, "nice" where I put it.

Keep in mind, I had to dilute it to about a 1/40 to 1/50 ratio with purified water. One to thirty three (the size of the bottle of purified water I bought at a convienience store initially to mix with) was not dilute enough. If you guys want to hear something funny.....................................the first time I mixed it up and put it in a hairspray pump, I sprayed it in my damp scalp (after the shower) and rubbed it in, and got dressed (put on underwear and "tucked myself in the underwear--more on that in a sec), put on pants and a shirt. After a few seconds the "burn" came and my head got well...."icy-HOT" and in "hot-dayummmm"-hot. Where I "tucked myself" in my underwear a portion of my genitalia felt like a blow torch was on it, and I had to--QUICKLY--draw a tub of bathwater so I could just sit in it after determining just attempting to wash it off wasn't bringing any damned relief at all.

Fukk all that shiitt hurt. I diluted it more after that................................

My little schedule is actually very easy to remember.................I take a small bite out of my finas (I have five mg tablets)
.........Spray my homemade menthol post-shower very liberally
..........use prox-n before bedtime

Thats it, and my hair looks as good as it did five or six years ago. IT keeps getting darker, which is kinda funny. At one time I was very blonde. Now I have almost medium brown coppery hair. I had quite a bit of grey at the temples a few years back, but the peptides have witnessed a slow re-coloring of this hair. Now it seem just a bit at the side burns have any grey at all.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
hahaha I know, it's strong stuff, the shower gel with mint also had me worried when it got near my 'sensitive area's' :mrgreen:

Anyway I heard wookster was trying vics vapo rub which contains menthol. It also contains turpentine oil which I know is used in turkey as a hairloss remedy and probably contains loads of beta-sis just like pine-oil. The eucalyptus in vics vapo rub could also be good. There are several studies and reports that mention eucalyptus has properties that can improve the condition of the scalp.

I tried applying some of the vics on my scalp but it's a greasy mess and I have long hair so very difficult to apply (shouldn't be a problem with buzzed hair though). I also wonder whether menthol (which is in vics vapor rub) really has the same effect as peppermint oil where it is extracted from...

ShadoW DanceR

Reaction score
Hi,

So can I mix 2ml with 100ml of water? can I use distilled water? cause i dont really understand the term purified water.

aussiedavid

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it that peppermint will reduce hair on your body or face, but increase hair on your head? :stupid:

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
aussiedavid said:
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it that peppermint will reduce hair on your body or face, but increase hair on your head? :stupid:

It's probably anti-androgenic and androgens have opposite effects on scalp and body hair. Why guys have hairy asses and bald heads.

michael barry

Reaction score
jkkezh,

you are right, "menthol" can be synthetic. Better it is to use peppermint oil or peppermint extract unless one is sure the menthol is derived from real peppermint.........

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah distilled water should be fine shadow dancer, mix it up really good everytime before you spray because the oil doesn't dissolve in water.
Also remember this is all very experimental so don't get your expectations up too high. You can test the mixture by applying some to your body hair (beard, chest, wrist etc) every day, just like michael barry did, If the body hair is reduced over a period of let's say 3 months that means it's likely that the stuff is working as an anti-androgen. The growth of body hair is androgenically driven, so more DHT and more androgen receptors on the body (beard, chest, wrist etc) means more hair, which is why women are not that hairy. THe opposite happens on the male scalp where hair miniturizes under the influence of DHT.

michael barry

Reaction score
Shadowdancer,

I would suggest about one ounce of peppermint oil with roughly fifty ounces of purified water. That should last you a long while.

I dont know if I'd mix up 100 ounces of a solution. I dont know how long the solution would be chemically stable or how well it would "keep".

riptiduh

Reaction score
Well Michael, I just wanted to thank you for this find and I am putting this find into full force.

Just to be clear though; I made my own concoction, 1:50 peppermint to water. I also added a small amount of jojoba oil for (maybe) enhanced absorption.

How many times a day do I spray and how much?

Also, CCS or Michael, can I add this to my regiment along with minoxidil and GTE+Curcumin?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just remembered, polysorbate 80 is used as an emulsifier. It helps to bind water and oil together. It might be worth adding a little polysorbate 80 to help mix the purified water with the peppermint oil.