What my story will be ? 4 month update on page 4 (08/5/2012)

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
What my story will be ? 1,5 year update on page 6 (07/21/2013)

Hello everyone,

I just realized a few weeks ago that I'm losing my hairline. I've been so worried about since because my dad is bald. Balding screares **** out of me and I would literaly rather die.

Anyway after I got over the first and the worst shock I've been searching information how I can fight back. I've read about finasteride but at the moment I can't get it because I'm abroad. I'm going back to home for xmas and I'm going to see doctor and I'm hoping he will write me a prescription. Should I also try some minoxidil and some thickening foam or what about nizoral ?

Unfortunately I didn't find the guide how to determine my hair loss process. Here is a few pictures and I would like to know your opinion about my situation and what I could do or is there anything to do ? I love my hair and it's everything to me. My mom is a hairdresser and when I was in shock I called her but she said that I wasn't balding when she last time saw me. It was about a month a go.

My sister is also a hairdresser and when she cut my hair about 2 month ago, she said that my hairline is escaping but I thought she was kidding because we usually joke about that how I don't want to end up looking like my dad.

I will add 2 more pictures later today. At the moment I have a bad internet connection.

Attachments

• 1year1monthaago.png
    1year1monthaago.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 5,934
  • Feb2011.png
    Feb2011.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 5,938
  • 2011oct1.png
    2011oct1.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 5,957
  • 2011oct3.png
    2011oct3.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 5,948

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: What my story will be ? 23 guy with few photos and questions

Last picture. Sorry as I said I'm using bad internet I had to post this rather than edit the first post.

I've been coloring my hair to dark brown / black about last 8-10 years, so don't let root growth confuse you. there is a lot of "baby hair" on both sides. Anyway as you can see the front hair is anyway thinner ?

It can't be seen from the pictures but the template lines are very strict even it's blond hair.. Is there any chance this could be only mature hair line ?
I usually live in Finland and now I've been in the United States about 2 months and the sun really burns/blonds my hair.

If it's a hair loss and it's because of the stress or/and food and different atmosphere can my hair normalize when I move back to my home country ? Somebody did say on the forum that when he/his friends etc. moved to the United States they began to bold.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2011oct2.png
    2011oct2.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 5,800

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score

It looks like you are definitely going at the temples and possibly some thinning up front in the middle.

The 'big 3' is the way to - finasteride, minoxidil and nizoral or you could look into dutasteride, which is more powerful than finasteride.

I personally would not recommend any 5 AR inhibitors - i used finasteride 2 years ago and i am now completely impotent amongst other things.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

So the impotent caused by finasteride isn't just temporary ? But I've read that it should just cause a bit problems with sex drive etc. ?

KnowHair

Reaction score

So the impotent caused by finasteride isn't just temporary ? But I've read that it should just cause a bit problems with sex drive etc. ?

Going2beBald?, I've used Finasteride for 13 years. Never had any sexual issues and had two healthy kids while on it. I think that those who have sexual issues are a small minority. When they tested Finasteride, only a tiny % had any side effects, and the placebo group (taking fake sugar pills) had sexual issues almost at the same rate as the finasteride group (in study years 2, 3 and 4 impotence rate for finasteride and Placebo groups was the same: 5.1%), which tells me that a certain percentage of folks have sexual issues that are not caused by Finasteride.

My story:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69762

HiLite

Reaction score

ya hop on treatment definately mpn, im on finastride for around 8 months. zero sides but not too much "success" as of now. im on rogaine foam also for the temples and it seems to have thicken them up but no regrowth so far.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

I realized some tickling and maybe a bit warming today ? Does this mean "It's really is going now" ?

I'm so worried because I can get finasteride earliest after 7 weeks. Should I already buy nizoral and minoxidil e.g., rogaine right now and begin finasteride when I can get it ? Can I use rogaine for temples because I have understood it's for crown ? I know where I can get rogaine but where I can find nizoral ?

Can I find nizoral such a places as walmart ? And have I understood right that nizoral is also prescription free shampoo or something ? Does it mean "Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo" it also says "Ketoconazole Shampoo 1%" or is there something else what I should buy ?

Should I also buy Revivogen combo back ? I read it blocks DHT and because I can't get any finasteride just now I assume it would be better than nothing or will it only give me a peace of mind ?

Thank you so much !

takenick

Reaction score

You and I have almost the same hairloss. I'm 22. Any updates?

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

I don't have new pictures on my current computer but last time when I checked I would say my hair has stayed at same point for last 2-3 months without any regimen. I saw a derm yesterday and got finasteride prescription. I will start big 3 on next week and let you know as soon I have anything to report.

According to my sister who's a hairdresser / stylist, I have been thinning a bit but she couldn't compare my hair now and 3 months a go. She only said since autumn 2010. The derm said it's possible that I've started thinning / balding but he didn't lock down male pattern baldness. He anyway prescribed finasteride for me and told that I could try and see will I have any success with that.

I told the derm that I've done a lot of research about finasteride and I asked what should I do if I see any possible sides. He basically said "That will probably be only placebo" which didn't give me too trustworthy image from him. Anyway he said that people use finasteride as 5mg doses and sides are pretty small still. Anyway if I'm right the sides does not go hand in hand with the dose but I didn't start to complain. I was only happy that I got my finasteride.

I asked my sister that should I get bald look right away and she said that she won't do that to me. When I asked what kind of look should I get she didn't say anything. My problem is that I don't like long hair but on the other hand I'm afraid to cut it short now, because I'm sure my thinning will be noticeable on that look.

We had a family dinner during the Christmas and when I checked my cousins hairs who are 26 and 27, both nw3 and have been since 25 but it has progressed of course a step by step. My father is nw6 and he has had that since he was at least 40.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm still thinking should I start big 3 today. I shaved my head today it's 9mm(1/8 inch) with small mohawk and here's new pics.

This is my natural color and as you can see there may be a bit receding going on at temple area and thinning at frontal area. I would say it has been at this situation for last 4 to 6 months. Should I still take a shot and start big 3 to maintain my hair as it is or maybe wait it to get probably worse and start then?

I've been talking about balding with my mom and sister who both are hairdressers. While my sister cut my hair today she said that she doesn't think that my hair has got so much thinner.

Anyway she said that if I feel so I might have some kind of other condition than male pattern baldness because according to her male pattern baldness doesn't thin your hair all over and told me to watch my diet.

And here is one old photo from November 2010

Attachments

• 20120102_001b.jpg
    20120102_001b.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 354
  • 20120102_002b.jpg
    20120102_002b.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 319
  • 20120102_003b.jpg
    20120102_003b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 300
  • nov2010.png
    nov2010.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 290

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: What my story will be ? 23 guy. Updated 1.1.2012

In the lack of answers I decided to sell my soul and began finasteride regimen. If it turns out that my hair loss wasn't because of male pattern baldness I will be very sad and mad because I have effed my future right ? Because if I stop finasteride after started it will really cause my balding in the end ?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Going2beBald? said:
In the lack of answers I decided to sell my soul and began finasteride regimen. If it turns out that my hair loss wasn't because of male pattern baldness I will be very sad and mad because I have effed my future right ? Because if I stop finasteride after started it will really cause my balding in the end ?

You will not have "effed" your future. You definitely have male pattern baldness.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks mate! It's definitely nice to know that I'm not doing this in vain. Hopefully I can reverse or at least stop it.

Do you think is my starting point decent looking. I know it could be better but anyway I would be happy if I even could maintain my current situation but regrowth would be awesome.

I just checked a few old photos back in 2010 and 2011 and I noticed that I've been losing the width of my frontal line since autumn 2009. The situation was still great at autumn 2010 so is there a hope I can get some of that hair back with minoxidil ? I haven't yet bought minoxidil but I've planed to do it within a week.

I kind of knew that I have male pattern baldness but after all I just wanted to be 120% sure and now I'm more than relieved to know that I already have finasteride to fight against it. Still before Christmas I was 50/50 whether to go to see derm or not while I visited in my home country and I'm so glad I did.

I know that the derm should had been able to say do I have male pattern baldness or not but he was like "It may be so, I'm not sure but I can prescribe you finasteride if you want to try". I asked blood tests but he didn't seem it necessary so if something happens though luck for me.

In the worst case if I will have any sides how quickly I should notice them ? At least the label says possible sides could/should go away within 2 weeks or so.. If after 2 weeks I'm not having any sides can I consider myself as lucky ones ?

The derms answer about the sides was "it will in most cases be mentally and just keep taking finasteride"

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

If you don't have any sides just don't worry about it. Most people don't get sides. If you do get sides, they'll probably go away. I was one of the unlucky few who did get sides, and even when staying on it they didn't go away for me. I stopped finasteride, and then they did! Everything went back to normal. finasteride definitely helped my hair though and i think everyone that has male pattern baldness should try it, it's the best first-line of defense to stop male pattern baldness in its tracks and even regrow some

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

Well I wasn't so lucky as I thought, second day on and I can feel a small pressure kind of feeling at my lower stomach, I assume that's the feeling when finasteride affects to the prostate ? It's not painful or anything and doesn't bother me but I can notice it when I think about it. On the other hand it could be "butterflies" because I'm exited and happy but I doubt that :(

I'm just worried about the possibility that finasteride will reduce my penis size. I did read that with 5mg dose finasteride will reduce the size of the prostate by 20% within 6 months and if it also reduces the penis size by 20% it's kind of sad. I'm wanting to keep my hair because of the chicks but what's the gain if it's away on the other thing that is important to them!

At least I can be thankful I don't have any sexual sides at least yet.

If that's all I will continue using and hopefully the pressure feeling will go away within a couple of weeks.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Yeah that penis size thing isn't true. There are no studies to back it up. You have two or three crazy people posting on the forums saying finasteride made their penis shrink. Whatever.

And yes, a LOT of people get an initial "ache" of some sort in their balls\groin that can last anywhere from a couple days to 2-3 weeks. I would say stick with it and re-evaluate in a month before making any rash decisions.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

Okay, well I must have hesitated at least now I'm not feeling anything weird and I hope that will be the way in to future. Anyway I guess it's too early to say yet for sure anything. Maybe I should knock the wood and come back to comment after a week or so :)

I will probably increase the dose when I can and it will be in August 2012. I just hope the 0.5mg is enough to keep my current situation up ( according to research data it should but people seems to say 1mg is more effective than 0.5mg) because 0.5mg/day is all I can get at the moment because of the stupid custom regulations and I really wouldn't want to order anything online.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

Added rogaine foam into my regimen today, 5th day on finasteride and not any signs on sides except that small pressure at second day but it lasted a few hours and went away and nothing after that.

Btw if I think that I might be thinning all over can I just apply rogaine on every where ?

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score

I have been applying the rogaine all over for about 2 years now. Only thing that sucks is you will go through it faster (spend more money).

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

So it doesn't affect negatively to your "normal" hair if you apply it all over ? Thanks for your reply Agahi.