Aclaris Call Tomorrow - Ask Your Questions

hidden

Reaction score
I think a really great question would be asking if they have used JAK inhibitors on older men with alopecia areata. If they have, did they only regrow hair in a horseshoe pattern? I know that not all elderly men have Androgenetic Alopecia but I think that if they did test this out and only horseshoe hair regrew it'd be safe to say that it doesn't work in Androgenetic Alopecia, at least in older men.
simply because oral doesn't work for Androgenetic Alopecia, it has to be topical with a correct vehicule

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Given that JAK inhibitors are still in Phase 1, is this treatment only an option for the next generation of Androgenetic Alopecia victims?

The good news is that JAKinibs are already FDA-approved oral drugs for rheumatoid arthritis and, I think, for a certain type of blood cancer, so lots of safety record for oral JAKinibs. Oral drugs tend to affect the human body systemicaly a lot more so than topical creams or ointments and the reason why new oral drugs undergo more scrutiny. The bad news is the drugs are expensive, around several thousand dollars for a month's worth of treatment. But there is more good news because Christiano said JAKinibs are being developed for a variety of other ailments, like dermatitis, psoriasis and a few more so the drug is not going away, and Aclaris has recently bought the rights to manufacture other JAKinib drugs. The prices will surely come down as a result.

Christiano said last year that an oral form of the drug is not what we want because she discovered that topical JAKinib affects hair growth far better than when ingested orally. She said the issue now is finding the lowest efficacious dose and best delivery method to allow the drug to be absorbed into the scalp and have it remain at the target depth for as long as possible to affect hair growth. In her research paper published last October it mentions a special delivery method using 3D spheres which she and Colin Jahoda have been working on.

Last edited:

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding drugs as a whole. And I hate to say it; people should slowly understand that some "drug" isn't going to make reversal of Androgenetic Alopecia happen. It's highly, really highly unlikely. And that is said softly. Only a godly miracle would help us. You know the same chance that you have of winning the lottery. I'm fairly sure every hair researcher thinks the same.

Regarding JAK inhibitors for Androgenetic Alopecia, I find the attempt literally kiddo level science. It even makes me angry to be honest, but I'm very calm lately because there are extremely exciting things underway like Tsuji his method (yes I'm a fanboy). Finally there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Everything from A to Z implies that JAK inhibitors are going to do nothing at all for Androgenetic Alopecia. And very little to none actually suggests that they will do anything for Androgenetic Alopecia.

Then again it's a great discovery for AA, no doubt...!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great call, disappointing result. Some interesting information, though nothing new really to report. They seem to be bound and gagged by fear of the FDA. So the "result" was that Im not allowed to discuss anything mentioned during the call. Which of course made me say to myself "Then why did we do this call, and why did I just read a bunch of questions from forum users?"

I think maybe their legal dept stepped in afterwards and made that decision though. I am determined to get some of the information shared however. I can tell you at this point that they're "continuing with the necessary steps to pursue a topical use for androgenetic alopecia and the drug tofacitinib."

That pursuit has not been discontinued.

And someone MAY have asked me if any of my forum users had tried it in a 1% or 2% topical formulation yet, and if so, if we had any really great, clear, solid before and after photos. So I'll just leave that idea out there for everyone.

tiny7

Reaction score
I had a bad taste in my mouth when Aclaris released the tape of their latest investor meeting. They never came out and straight up said JAK works on Androgenetic Alopecia. They did throw Androgenetic Alopecia into the mix, but were very careful on how they did it. If it straight up works - there shouldn't be a reason to beat around the bush about it.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort anyways @Admin but like you said pretty silly exercise if you can't inform us of anything.

Pretty funny that it sounds like they surf this board if they mentioned someone using a topical.

Tell them we'all give them info if they give us some! Lol jk :p

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And someone MAY have asked me if any of my forum users had tried it in a 1% or 2% topical formulation yet, and if so, if we had any really great, clear, solid before and after photos. So I'll just leave that idea out there for everyone.

I don't know of anyone who's used that high a concentration, but I think "disappointing result" would describe the outcome unfortunately. That sucks about the lawyers though.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If there is any thing in the pipeline that I'm really skeptical about, it's JAK inhibitors. This has not quashed my skepticism.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think Dr. Christianity would be starting up another company (Rapunzel) using cell based therapies for Androgenetic Alopecia if she thought JAKs would be a game changer for Androgenetic Alopecia.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try it if it wasn't so expensive, but with little to no reason to believe it will work, I'm not throwing away thousands of dollars on it. Although the fact that you say that makes me wonder if they didn't tell you that they have seen clear results in at least one test subject already.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would try it if it wasn't so expensive, but with little to no reason to believe it will work, I'm not throwing away thousands of dollars on it. Although the fact that you say that makes me wonder if they didn't tell you that they have seen clear results in at least one test subject already.
I'd be willing to contribute to a crowdfund for you, not sure about others.

Tracksterderm

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great call, disappointing result. Some interesting information, though nothing new really to report. They seem to be bound and gagged by fear of the FDA. So the "result" was that Im not allowed to discuss anything mentioned during the call. Which of course made me say to myself "Then why did we do this call, and why did I just read a bunch of questions from forum users?"

I think maybe their legal dept stepped in afterwards and made that decision though. I am determined to get some of the information shared however. I can tell you at this point that they're "continuing with the necessary steps to pursue a topical use for androgenetic alopecia and the drug tofacitinib."

That pursuit has not been discontinued.

That is so BS. They are not marketing anything if they go out and say they have tried a compound that showed some / good / great results on people or on mice and not specify anything more than that. Why would the FDA care? Unless they are conducting illegal trials, in which case they wouldn't have talked to you about it at all.

FootyStar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a bad taste in my mouth when Aclaris released the tape of their latest investor meeting. They never came out and straight up said JAK works on Androgenetic Alopecia. They did throw Androgenetic Alopecia into the mix, but were very careful on how they did it. If it straight up works - there shouldn't be a reason to beat around the bush about it.

I can't actually see how JAK inhibitors could have any impact on Androgenetic Alopecia. If Androgenetic Alopecia is caused by hair follicles' high sensitivity to DHT hormones, how would a drug that targets immune system T-cells contribute to fighting that at all?

drakeznathan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was kinda hoping something positive but oh well, I will let Tsuji put all these to shame.

drakeznathan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not good with legal stuff so I want to ask what's up with these legal stuff that making Aclaris not talk ?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

Lol. Oh dear. Tofacitinib has been used from group buys on private forums before. I've used it myself. Helps with inflammation. Might be enough to maintain for some. Regrowth? No chance. Maybe the new classes of drugs will blow Tofa/Ruxo out of the water in terms of strength and half-life but until then I'd put this one in the fail basket.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I simply don't get it.... If they were concerned with legal issues why did they speak to you? What did they think you were going to ask about lol and like someone previously stated, what would the FDA care, unless they're doing something sketchy. The irony is: this interview has made them less credible to me.

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't even have a little bit disappointment because I don't even count on it as a potential treatment from the very beginning. I'd say I am an optimist but I've never hype about this JAK, even ranked behind Brotzu lotion in my table. Anyway, thanks admin for your work but I think everybody should put this to an end.