Analyzing the mature hairline

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys that worry about their mature hairline are fags in my opinion (No I'm not being homophobic, I use the word 'f**' in a metophorical sense = idiot).

Balding is a continious process. A mature hairline which receeds a bit and stops is obviously not continious, therefore not balding

They just need to accept that 99.9% of men do not have the exact same hair they have at 30 as they do at 17 in terms of density and hairline and that it's completely normal.

I saw on another forum recently a guy with great hair who had a transplant, he was a Norwood 1.5 and about 30. It completely fucked up and left him with more of a Norwood 4-5 thinning pattern. His reason for getting a tranplant in the first place 'I wanted more density at the front'. - I could help but think 'Serves you right for f*****g around'.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
lol, I believe you quoted me on that one.

It all depends on what you define as a "mature hairline".

Generally if you see some 18-24 year old kid with recession, he's balding (me). A 44 year old with recession most likely is not balding. More specifically, it depends on the amount of recession.

This pic serves as a pretty good reference:
09wyat.xlagrge1.jpg

Hilarious show, but anyway. Dude in the middle has a "mature hairline" in that it's not Prison Break guy's hairline and rounded, but rather boxy and "wide" but still very thick and straight. The guys to his left and right are both receding and balding. So if you're 20 with Mac's hairline (guy in the middle), I wouldn't worry about hair loss at all. And DEFINTIELY not if you are 25+. If, on the other hand, you start looking like Dennis or Charlie, there's a good chance you're going bald. I don't think you could classify either of their hairlines as simply "mature" at any age.

Another example.
Mature hairline:
colbert_stephen1.jpg

Balding
johnny-knoxville-2003-mtv-movie-awards-HwlEza.jpg

Knoxville's probably on finasteride as his has stayed roughly the same since Jackass premiered in 2000 - and in fact looks a little better these days (considering this taken in 2003).

Yeah and look at those horrible fat reductions underneath his eyes, yep definantly on finasteride.

beraldy

Reaction score
Two pictures, one of my grandpa in the 1960s with a 'mature' hairline and one taken in NOVEMBER.

You guys are a bit nuts.

Attachments

• grandpacensored.jpg
    grandpacensored.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • grandpanovember.jpg
    grandpanovember.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,360

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I'm secretly hoping these nw2 nit pickers go nw6 in the span of a year (that will teach them)...oops secrets out. :whistle:

spiveslude

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I'm secretly hoping these nw2 nit pickers go nw6 in the span of a year (that will teach them)...oops secrets out. :whistle:

Wasnt a secret. Way to be supportive, ***. Bitterness doesnt help anyone and it definitely doesnt grow hair.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
spiveslude said:
it definitely doesnt grow hair.
Neither does freaking out over a couple of mms of recession with a magnifying glass either. :smack:

s.a.f

Reaction score
spiveslude said:
uncomfortable man said:

Wasnt a secret. Way to be supportive, ***. Bitterness doesnt help anyone and it definitely doesnt grow hair.

Would it be any more helpful to tell these guys who who are NW1.3 that its terrible and they're going bald. Maybe they should think about a hair transplant or a wig before it gets to the mature hairline stage.
Some people need to get it put into perspective. We have people on here freaking out over nothing.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, saf and UM are right. Nobody should ever post another thread about the early stages of hairloss ever again, because people who are going bald arent bald yet, saf and UM are, and we might hurt their feelings,, :roll:

On topic, I personaly have trouble with the whole maturing hairline thing because that's what people told me was happening when I started getting a recieting hairline. I was closer to a nw3 before treatment and now I'm crawling back to a Norwood 2.5.

I think knoxville has the perfect hairline. It's not too far back, but visibly receited and starting to "square" but it's nice and thick. That's my goal.

-DH

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
spiveslude said:
uncomfortable man said:

Speaking of bitterness, where is HatPrisioner? Usually he chimes in after UM comments like this one.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
My feelings aside, it's not like you guys don't know that you have options at your disposal that will most likely lead to success, while the ones that need the most help (nw5,6) are completely screwed. If anyone has a real reason to be upset it is us :youbet: and I have no problem reminding you of that. Don't you f*****g dare act like all hope is lost, that's my job! I rightfully occupy this space in hell....oh, and HatPrisoner too.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
My feelings aside, it's not like you guys don't know that you have options at your disposal that will most likely lead to success, while the ones that need the most help (nw5,6) are completely screwed. If anyone has a real reason to be upset it is us :youbet: and I have no problem reminding you of that. Don't you f****ing dare act like all hope is lost, that's my job! I rightfully occupy this space in hell.
The throne of baldness is all yours. Rule us wisely UM.

abcdefg

Reaction score
If its normal to have some recession on the way to reaching a mature hairline then it would be normal to have a little more recession to the point of a Norwood 3 or so. Anyone that is bald then is simply someone with a hairline that matured more then normal right? So I guess a Norwood 7 is just a really mature hairline and not really anything to worry about. I think telling someone who is losing hair and that its normal to lose their teenage hairline is just an excuse. Its not normal because some men do not ever lose any hair. We may we as well say if the majority of men had Norwood 7s then balding would be normal and no one would care?

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If its normal to have some recession on the way to reaching a mature hairline then it would be normal to have a little more recession to the point of a Norwood 3 or so. Anyone that is bald then is simply someone with a hairline that matured more then normal right? So I guess a Norwood 7 is just a really mature hairline and not really anything to worry about. I think telling someone who is losing hair and that its normal to lose their teenage hairline is just an excuse. Its not normal because some men do not ever lose any hair. We may we as well say if the majority of men had Norwood 7s then balding would be normal and no one would care?

This statement is so flawed......

A real 'mature' hairline is not a continuious process - It's not the start of a NW3, it stops usually around the Norwood 1.5-2 mark and can stay there for 40 years. Therefore it is not bald-ING, it's some slight hairloss and may never result in the appearnce of anything less than a full head of hair. Beyond this it is likely to continuous and therefore balding. Just because some men never lose there hair does not make it abnormal that 95% experience a mature hairline.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Many men get mature hairlines. Those that have it lose only a slight amount of dht sensitive hair at the hairline, any more and its male pattern baldness.

spiveslude

Reaction score
Fundi said:

A real 'mature' hairline is not a continuious process - It's not the start of a NW3, it stops usually around the Norwood 1.5-2 mark and can stay there for 40 years. Therefore it is not bald-ING, it's some slight hairloss and may never result in the appearnce of anything less than a full head of hair. Beyond this it is likely to continuous and therefore balding. Just because some men never lose there hair does not make it abnormal that 95% experience a mature hairline.

Do you not understand how someone could see YOUR post as flawed? Alright lets really think about this excluding preconceived perceptions or the coinage of the term "mature hairline". Do women get mature hairlines by middle age? no. Do some men never lose any hair? yes. Does every man get to a Norwood 7 if they have lost any hair in their life? no. So why is there this magic point along the line of male hair loss that people call the "mature hairline". From my point of view it just makes sense to call this a very mild form of hair loss because that is exactly what it is. Hair has been lost. I also think it is foolish to think that someone that is at this point may not go beyond this point at a later time as hairloss is unpredictable at this point minus observations of male family members. That said, it is true that they may not go beyond this point. What is the difference between that and someone that will or will not go past a Norwood 4, or a Norwood 5, 6? Is that just a very mature hairline? A very very mature hairline?

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spiveslude said:
Fundi said:

Do you not understand how someone could see YOUR post as flawed? Alright lets really think about this excluding preconceived perceptions or the coinage of the term "mature hairline". Do women get mature hairlines by middle age? no. Do some men never lose any hair? yes. Does every man get to a Norwood 7 if they have lost any hair in their life? no. So why is there this magic point along the line of male hair loss that people call the "mature hairline". From my point of view it just makes sense to call this a very mild form of hair loss because that is exactly what it is. Hair has been lost. I also think it is foolish to think that someone that is at this point may not go beyond this point at a later time as hairloss is unpredictable at this point minus observations of male family members. That said, it is true that they may not go beyond this point. What is the difference between that and someone that will or will not go past a Norwood 4, or a Norwood 5, 6? Is that just a very mature hairline? A very very mature hairline?

????

I said it was hairloss...but it's not balding. And yes, many women do develop a bit of a curve to their hairline with age.

How do you know? Well if your hair is still thick and it hasn't moved in years...that's a pretty good indication. - Yeh of course it doesn't mean you won't lose more hair in the future - Just like someone with a completely thick, straight hairline does not know for certain that they won't lose hair in the future. -

ali777

Reaction score
In my 20s I used to dismiss my hairloss as just a case of mature hairline. I was aware of it but I always assumed my receding hair was nothing more than mature hairline.... I remember one hairdresser telling me I'd go bald as I age, and I even dismissed his comments. I was 23-24 at the time, he must have seen the signs...

Then at about 29, it hit me. I was thinning in the front and crown, and I already had deep temples. It wasn't a mature hairline anymore but a proper male pattern baldness... Before I realised it, I was already NW2 with signs of fast approaching NW3... This time I had another comment from a second hairdresser, he said "enjoy your hair while it lasts"... I haven't been back to his shop after his cold hearted comment...

So, the question is "is there a link between mature hairline and male pattern baldness"... I think they are both cases of DHT attack, but male pattern baldness is the more aggressive version of it... My elder brother has a mature hairline, and I always thought my hair would be like his hair. When I look at him, I can't see any thinning on the top. So, I guess it is possible to have a receding hairline without the full blown male pattern baldness.

The thing is, all my thinning happened very quickly, and I'm still convinced that it was my lifestyle that triggered male pattern baldness. I know lots of people in the forum will disagree with me on this one. In my opinion, I was susceptible to DHT but it wasn't meant to be aggressive (wishful thinking).

I've been trying to get my sh*t together, and physically I'm in much better shape right now. I can even see that there is a shine in my hair, it looks healthier than it used to. If I lead healthier lifestyle in the past, I might have managed to make my hair last longer, but the damage is done... My only hope for the future is that my more balanced lifestyle slows male pattern baldness down and I have some hair in my wedding pictures :whistle:

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A lot of people on here will say that mature hairline is the start of non stop balding, simply because that's what happened to them. (Hence why they're here).

However, I just need to look at my father, my cousins, my brothers and the majority of men in my office and my friends to see most men get recession, and years later it's still the same.

One of my friends had about an inch of recession at the temples when he was 17 for example...he's got the same hairline now at 23, still thick as ever.

spiveslude

Reaction score
this is a stupid argument as ppl obviously have ideas in their head at what words are supposed to mean already. Its like trying to argue religion.