Analyzing the mature hairline

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bocgam said:
A mature hairline is balding, period. And recession at 22 is IMO a sign of more balding to come.

How do you all feel about this remark? I find it empirically accurate. That is, anyone who has a mature hairline at 22 will experience further balding (and will not remain at a mature hairline their entire life). I find that those that still have mature hairlines at age 50+ didn't reach their mature hairline until they were in the their LATE 20s. Unfortunately David Bowie is the only example I can think of. At 28, he still had a straight hairline. His mature hairline isn't apparent until his 30s or 40s.

In short, did any 50+ year old male with a mature hairline find themselves with that hairline at an early age (19-25)? If this is true, it would really help forecast the hairloss to come.

my father got his mature hairline at 13, he still has it to this very day and hes 54 and showing no signs of any more recession or baldness, i too got mine at 13 and it hasnt changed

ali777

Reaction score
kerzyguy said:
my father got his mature hairline at 13, he still has it to this very day and hes 54 and showing no signs of any more recession or baldness, i too got mine at 13 and it hasnt changed

and yet you have the need to pay so much attention to your hair?

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
kerzyguy said:

and yet you have the need to pay so much attention to your hair?
:(

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Some dht affected hair is lost in a mature hairline, the rest is either not dht sensitive or just more resistant.

spiveslude

Reaction score
which is exactly the same thing as if someones hair beyond a Norwood 4 5 or 6 is more dht resistant. or beyond a Norwood 1 for that matter. Thats why i dont understand the "mature hairline" unless its the average someone stops balding.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spiveslude said:
which is exactly the same thing as if someones hair beyond a Norwood 4 5 or 6 is more dht resistant. or beyond a Norwood 1 for that matter. Thats why i dont understand the "mature hairline" unless its the average someone stops balding.

The arguement that an NW7's "mature hairline" is around the back of his head makes a lot of sense (no offense guys). I guess it just depends on whether you're defining a "mature hairline" as something that can be measured, i.e. like Dr Rassman does, or if its subjective and different for every individual. Really, its semantics.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Explain Morrisey :[attachment=2:25m9ztfq]ap_morrissey_071119_main.jpg[/attachment:25m9ztfq]
NW2 (and fairly thin) back in his early 20's
Then 20 yrs later not much different.
[attachment=0:25m9ztfq]6a00d83451cbb069e2010535c4c989970c-800wi.jpg[/attachment:25m9ztfq]
[attachment=1:25m9ztfq]Morrissey%20Zani%201.jpg[/attachment:25m9ztfq]

Attachments

• ap_morrissey_071119_main.jpg
    ap_morrissey_071119_main.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 805
  • Morrissey%20Zani%201.jpg
    Morrissey%20Zani%201.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 721
  • 6a00d83451cbb069e2010535c4c989970c-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451cbb069e2010535c4c989970c-800wi.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,967

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Either he's had some transplants or he's just one of those oddballs who only reaches a certain Norwood stage relatively young and never progresses.

Not everyone progresses to a NW7, so it makes sense that not everyone would progress past NW2, 3 or whatever.

I think that's a fairly rare occurence though. If you're young with a receding hairline, you are probably going to eventually be a NW5+.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
also deniro, hes been receeded for over like 25 years, and his hair is great, i dont think he wears wigs either

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Explain Morrisey :[attachment=2:1p79advm]ap_morrissey_071119_main.jpg[/attachment:1p79advm]
[attachment=0:1p79advm]6a00d83451cbb069e2010535c4c989970c-800wi.jpg[/attachment:1p79advm]
[attachment=1:1p79advm]Morrissey%20Zani%201.jpg[/attachment:1p79advm]

I thought the young pic would be closer to a 3 than a 2. His temples look really receded.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
s.a.f said:
Explain Morrisey :[attachment=2:2muxljsu]ap_morrissey_071119_main.jpg[/attachment:2muxljsu]
[attachment=0:2muxljsu]6a00d83451cbb069e2010535c4c989970c-800wi.jpg[/attachment:2muxljsu]
[attachment=1:2muxljsu]Morrissey%20Zani%201.jpg[/attachment:2muxljsu]

I thought the young pic would be closer to a 3 than a 2. His temples look really receded.

And to think... Young guy. Big time (sort of) rock band... Probably image concious... Goes on this site (assuming it existed, which it didn't), and everyone tells him to get on the big 3 right away. Then he blows through $1000 a year for 20 years... for nothing. Same would be true of Flea.

s.a.f

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
And to think... Young guy. Big time (sort of) rock band... Probably image concious... Goes on this site (assuming it existed, which it didn't), and everyone tells him to get on the big 3 right away. Then he blows through $1000 a year for 20 years... for nothing. Same would be true of Flea.
I truely believe their are thousands of people out there doing this, but there's no way of knowing is there I suppose its a case of better safe than sorry.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
that "if your under 18 and receeding its baldness and not a mature hairline" thing is a croc

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont see any difference, remember at 12 your skull is still growing so your forehead would have got bigger naturally I dont think you've lost any hair.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I dont see any difference, remember at 12 your skull is still growing so your forehead would have got bigger naturally I dont think you've lost any hair.

i have a mole spot on my forehead which i kinda use as a marker, and my hairline used to just cover the mole, so its either receeded, or my skull grew and the skin stretched?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
ali777 said:
If I lead healthier lifestyle in the past, I might have managed to make my hair last longer, but the damage is done... My only hope for the future is that my more balanced lifestyle slows male pattern baldness down and I have some hair in my wedding pictures :whistle:
Here's the thing, since everyone has different levels of aggressiveness with balding, what might work for one person will do nothing for the other. No amount of diet or exercise will bring my hair back or improve it in the slightest. To the gp (who knows dip about hair loss) this idea that lifestyle effects your hair is detrimental to guys like me because it directly insinuates that we baldies are the scum of the earth who refuse to take care of ourselves and are undeserving of dignity.

ali777

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
ali777 said:
If I lead healthier lifestyle in the past, I might have managed to make my hair last longer, but the damage is done... My only hope for the future is that my more balanced lifestyle slows male pattern baldness down and I have some hair in my wedding pictures :whistle:
Here's the thing, since everyone has different levels of aggressiveness with balding, what might work for one person will do nothing for the other. No amount of diet or exercise will bring my hair back or improve it in the slightest. To the gp (who knows dip about hair loss) this idea that lifestyle effects your hair is detrimental to guys like me because it directly insinuates that we baldies are the scum of the earth who refuse to take care of ourselves and are undeserving of dignity.

Dude, come on!!!!!!!!

There are 1000s of articles out there that show smoking MAY cause hairloss, lifestyle MAY cause hairloss, fatty food MAY cause hairloss, etc... I smoke, I don't sleep enough, I don't eat enough, I am under stress, etc... I have a sh*tty lifestyle, and I'm working hard to change it.

No one implies that bald people are scum of the earth. You said it, we all have different level of aggressiveness with balding.

We all agree its genetic. Some of us are preprogrammed to be bald at 20 and some at 40. All I was saying is that, I think I was supposed to be in the group that goes bald at 40, but my lifestyle triggered an irreversible process 10 years too soon.

Do you want me to say sorry for not being as bald as you are?