Bryan87's Story - (23 /need help)

bryan87

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I was out of internet for a couple days and I was also out for weekend. Any ways I'm very happy to hear that I'm crazy and that my hair looks ok, that it doesn't look as bad as I thought. I feel like Denorex has really helped. I used it every day and Nizoral twice a week and now I see less hair falling. The other thing that I'm using is what my doctor gave me from the very beginning and it has also helped. I will take some more pictures today. Now as far as my temples they kind of always have been like that, but I would to get some back. Is there anything I can use/do to recuperate my temples? Any suggestions? Let me get those pictures ready.

bryan87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really don't know where to start, other than I really, really feel depressed right now. I really feel like crap right now. Now let me tell you why I feel like this:

Last night I went to see a cousin that I hadn't seen in about 3 months. So I got over his house started talking for a little bit, than we decided to go out and eat something. So we arrived and everything was ok and we started talking a little more and finally some words that I was never expecting came out of his mouth. Here is how he said it: There is a tree in our country that people say that if you eat from that tree you loose hair. So that's what he asked me. He asked me if I had been eating from that tree and I asked him why? He said that it seemed that I was loosing hair. I really felt like crap that I couldn't even finish eating. After we finished and I was on my way home I couldn't stop thinking about it. Got home and same thing. I couldn't get it out my head and I woke up this morning thinking about the same thing. I really don't know what to do? This is getting really deep into my head and I feel like it is affecting my daily life. I will snap some pictures right now so you guys can see, where I'm coming from.

Thank you

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, that tree story is just so weird... :) Who would believe in that... :)
And if you even have hairloss, it's really not noticeable, I can't believe your cousin said that... Your vertex looks fine, overall hair density is superb, maybe the hairline is slightly receded but looks completely mature and normal.
I think you're worrying way too much about it...

bryan87

Reaction score
Here are the pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

9bjfya.jpg

2ij6qg9.jpg

288r0p5.jpg

51zmgi.jpg

2u59a39.jpg

2ynl6qp.jpg

2ynl6qp.jpg

2qvb48y.jpg

zmnw4l.jpg

4ifmuq.jpg

5dqv7k.jpg

2ns5f1j.jpg

o9e07p.jpg

1zp2p07.jpg

bryan87

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Ok so here is a quick update. I don't know, but for some reason I'm still loosing a lot hair. I feel like some days I loose more and some days I loose less. I'm not what it is. I want to buy an everyday shampoo. I'm still using Nizoral, but I would like something that I could use everyday. Do you guys know? I want something good, that would also help with my problem. Also I have this heavy dandruff on my scalp that doesn't want to go away. The funny thing is that I don't apply gel or anything like that on my hair. I feel like this dandruff is very deep into scalp. When I see a hair that falls, I see this white thing right on the root that looks like dandruff and I feel like this is what causing my hair to fall. Any advice? on the above picture you can actually see the dandruff. I don't know what to do.

kabooski

Reaction score
Not a everyday shampoo, but try Selsun Blue Medicated (with Menthol)
Blue/redcap 11oz. Really helped me with Dandruff, no more flakes
(It washes away oil,so don't use it too much)

I still use Nizoral twice a week, Selsun once a week.
nizoral leaves my hair healthier looking, Selsun leaves hair dry.

One thing I noticed, if you do not rinse good, the left over shampoo dries and causes more dandruff and itching. I'm getting tempted to buzz my hair for a while, just so I can get the
Nizoral and Selsun blue to reach my scalp better and not have 5-15+ hairs on my hand.

I lose tons of Hair too. 50-100 in the shower. If after my hair has become damp after air drying a bit and I comb my hair (gently) I can shake my head and Tons fall out.

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
You have TONS of hair. Understand that hair naturally falls out, and it looks like you're having no problem regenerating those that you lose.

Stop worrying about it, or, if you cannot, then get on finasteride and then definitely stop worrying about it.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I think people are right and you have some minor hairline recession, and temples receding, but the density you still have is amazing and you are really able to cover it up and you don't appear to be balding fast at ALL.

bryan87

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I'm back.

First I would like to thank all of you, for all the positive comments. I think you guys might be right and I'm just going nuts, about this whole thing. For some reason I think I'm letting it get to deep into my head. I'm really, really trying to stay positive about it, but sometimes is a little difficult when I see hair every time I rub my head. To be honest I might me loosing less hair, than before.
Can you guys recommend a really good everyday shampoo, that will also help my problem? I will take some more pictures now and you be the judge.

Thank you

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
Using the Nizoral 1% a few times a week is going to be good either way, so you've already started the first of the big three in case it does turn out to be the beginnings of male pattern baldness, which you may not know for several years.

For the in-between Nizoral shampooings, I am currently testing L'Oreal Vive for men thickening shampoo against Aveda's pure abundance thickening shampoo and clay conditioner, with nothing to report yet, but then again I'm looking for something with more thickening power than what you need. There are tons of shampoos out there: caffeine, tea tree oil, copper peptide (expensive), but nothing as stand-out as Nizoral, and nothing scientifically proven to help regrow hair. There are a wealth of peoples' experiences with various shampoos all over this site, you should have no problem finding reports about many of them.

Personally I have used the Nioxin system shampoo and conditioner and it was pleasant, but then again I lost the most hair of my life during the year I used it. I'm confident it was just coincidence - no shampoo was going to stop the inevitable hair loss I was facing and not getting on finasteride when I was a NW2 was my big mistake. You are not even NW2 yet so I wouldn't fret about it, but:

I think what you really need to do is judiciously catalogue pictures of yourself regularly (once per month), in the same positions, same styling, and same lighting. That will help you track your hair's progress over time to help determine whether it's actual hair loss or whether you are really just crazy.

So use the Nizoral, find another regular shampoo that you're comfortable with, schedule a regular monthly photo session and save the pictures, then just put the system on auto-pilot and relax for a few months while you're gathering more information about your particular case. There's really nothing else you can do until you confirm male pattern baldness hair loss so just do the right things in the meantime and relax! You still have plenty of time before it's too late, tracking any potential pattern should be your main concern.

Best wishes,

LHB

bryan87

Reaction score
Hello guys here is a quick update. OK so it's been almost 2 months and 3 weeks since I got my hair cut. Honestly I really don't know what to think. So far I been getting positive responds from all of you, but I'm getting frustrated about all this. I'm still on Nizoral, but I want to buy an everyday shampoo. I've been looking into this shampoo. It's called Shampoo Crece-Max. It's from Mexico. The reason of why I want to buy it is because it's a natural shampoo and the reviews are pretty good about it. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ax&x=0&y=0

I just took some more pictures, but for some reason it's not letting me load them. Any ways I will post them when I get home. I really don't know what to do, to stop my hair from falling. I would love to regrow hair on my temples, but that's not my main goal right now. My main goal it's to maintain what I have right now. I feel like my temples are getting worst and I can't even rub my head with my fingers with out ending up with hair on them. I've been thinking about getting a buzz cut, but I don't think it would look right, because of temples. I really want to get a different hair cut, but I don't know what to do? Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Soon I will be switching doctors, since I'm NOT getting any hopes from the one I have right now. The only thing he says it's that my hair loss is do to stress. I want to also star taking some B-12 vitamins. I heard that they help and I want to give it a shot. If that's true, is there an specific brad that you guys would recommend? I'm trying to avoid Rogaine for now. I'm scared that if I use Rogaine, my situation would get worst. So for now I want to leave it as another option. Same thing goes for finasteride. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
Well by writing off finasteride and minoxidil you've eliminated the only two things proven to combat hair loss, at least in the eyes of the FDA. If it was clear male pattern baldness (which it's not), your alternatives would be to try some things that aren't as well tested or understood (anti-DHT: RU58841, CB-03-01, ASC-J9; and growth promoters (maybe): Copper Peptide/SOD sprays, Bimatoprost, Adenosine, Retin-A) or things that don't work (shampoos, herbals).

But RELAX! You have mild temple recession. It is definitely not clear that it is male pattern baldness, you could very well just be growing into a 'mature' hairline, it happens to everyone and doing so at 23 isn't completely unusual. Like I said, the best thing you can do is carefully catalog the changes in your hair using the same camera, in the same positions, under the same lighting, at regular monthly or bi-weekly intervals. In the meantime I'd warm up to the idea of finasteride. If you can confirm that it is in fact male pattern baldness over the next few months, it will be far-and-away your best chance to keep your hair.

Really, it could just be stress-related temporary hair loss (look up 'telogen effluvium'), but most likely you're growing into a mature hairline. Just keep taking regular pictures of it and compare over a period of months. Your freaking out about it is not helping things no matter what the cause, so try to relax as best you can. Best wishes!

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for double post.

bryan87

Reaction score
TheLastHairbender said:
Well by writing off finasteride and minoxidil you've eliminated the only two things proven to combat hair loss, at least in the eyes of the FDA. If it was clear male pattern baldness (which it's not), your alternatives would be to try some things that aren't as well tested or understood (anti-DHT: RU58841, CB-03-01, ASC-J9; and growth promoters (maybe): Copper Peptide/SOD sprays, Bimatoprost, Adenosine, Retin-A) or things that don't work (shampoos, herbals).

But RELAX! You have mild temple recession. It is definitely not clear that it is male pattern baldness, you could very well just be growing into a 'mature' hairline, it happens to everyone and doing so at 23 isn't completely unusual. Like I said, the best thing you can do is carefully catalog the changes in your hair using the same camera, in the same positions, under the same lighting, at regular monthly or bi-weekly intervals. In the meantime I'd warm up to the idea of finasteride. If you can confirm that it is in fact male pattern baldness over the next few months, it will be far-and-away your best chance to keep your hair.

Really, it could just be stress-related temporary hair loss (look up 'telogen effluvium'), but most likely you're growing into a mature hairline. Just keep taking regular pictures of it and compare over a period of months. Your freaking out about it is not helping things no matter what the cause, so try to relax as best you can. Best wishes!

Hey,

Thanks for the post. Just have a couple of questions for you.

Did check the link that I posted?

Do you think if I used that shampoo, it will actually hurt me?

The reason, of why I'm asking this, is because I already order it and I want to give it a shot since it's a natural shampoo. I was at my doctors yesterday, I saw a different one and he thinks everything looks natural. He told me that if I'm too worry about, to use Rogaine. He also mention finasteride & Proscar, but he thinks that is not necessary since my hair looks normal.

So what do you think about the Shampoo and Vitamins B-12?

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
If you want to do what other people have been successful on, start using a 1% Ketoconazole shampoo, like Nizoral in the US (not sure what your local brand might be called). Use that 2-3 times per week; it's an anti-fungal/anti-dandruff shampoo, so it promotes a healthy scalp whether you have male pattern baldness or not. The only downside is that it is a bit more expensive than regular shampoos.

For the shampoo you use in between the Ketoconazole shampooings, like the other 3-4 days a week, it really doesn't matter that much. Many people prefer a shampoo that helps give a thicker appearance, like L'Oreal Pro Vive for Men Thickening Shampoo (nice and cheap) or Aveda Pure Abundance shampoo (more expensive). Many people also try things like Caffeine shampoos, Tea Tree Oil Shampoos, etc. but I haven't heard of anyone getting good regrowth or maintenance from any shampoo by itself. The thing is: the right shampoo just isn't enough to stop male pattern baldness.

Regarding the Cre-C shampoo you linked to, it looks fine to use for Ketoconazole off-days. I have no reason to think that it would make you get any worse, but I wouldn't expect anything positive from it either, besides clean hair and maybe a good-feeling scalp. So basically, I don't think it will hurt you, but I wouldn't expect it to be much better at controlling hair loss than any other shampoo picked at random from the shelf in the supermarket. But admittedly I don't know much about it and haven't come across any other peoples' stories of using it. I did a quick search and couldn't find a single anecdote about it on this site, nor did any other hair loss sites come up on the first page or two of google. I think you will find tons and tons of products, especially shampoos, that are geared toward hair loss (it is a very profitable market), but don't have any science backing them up. I would put Cre-C in this category. Look at all the success stories on here - they were using 1-2% Ketoconazole and another random shampoo of their choosing.

My advice remains to start using a 1% Ketoconazole shampoo 2-3x per week, rotate in another shampoo you're comfortable with on the Keto off-days (that Cre-C you linked to is fine), and catalog pictures of your hair every two weeks for a few months to see if there truly is male pattern baldness that isn't just stress related temporary hair loss. Then, and only then, should you look into using a systemic anti-androgen like Finasteride. My opinion is that you should definitely NOT start using Rogaine yet. Although it's a comforting thought to think you're doing something about hair loss, Rogaine WILL make your hair start to fall out (the minoxidil shed), then replace it with "Rogaine Hair", which you can only maintain for as long as you keep using Rogaine twice a day. Your hair loss isn't bad enough to where I would want to commit myself to lifetime Rogaine use just yet. I hate to recommend anyone start finasteride, in case we get more information later that it turns out to be bad in other ways, but based on the state-of-the-art as we know it today, finasteride is going to be the best way to keep any more hair from falling out. Again, don't jump on that bandwagon until you know for sure that it is male pattern baldness and not temporary stress-related hair loss. (Look at the base of some of the hairs that fall out - if they have a characteristic white bulb on the end then it may be stress-related...that's why I said to search for the term "tellogen effluvium", you'll find people giving more complete advice about the difference between the two types of hair loss so I don't have to type it all out here).

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
And don't count on vitamin B-12 doing anything either.

5mg biotin and 3g MSM are the recommended supplements for hair growth. You will probably want to take a B-complex vitamin with the biotin to make sure things stay in balance. Vitamins don't cure hair loss though, and don't expect any benefits to be seen within 6 months.

It is kind of a dismal outlook I know, but here's a list of what works to save your hair:

• Finasteride

And you're not quite at the stage where I think it's best to start using it yet. You definitely want to get on it before hair loss gets bad, but it's not clear that you have male pattern baldness yet. So catalog your progression so you can make an informed decision about whether the potential side effects are worth it for saving your hair. There is still a very very good chance you're just developing a mature hairline and you just have a cowlick on the crown. Pray for that.

Note too that these are only my opinions from doing research and forming my own treatment plan. Just my opinions. Other people may have different ones. If it's any reassurance, these are the things I'm doing for my own hair loss. Thanks Bryan, good luck buddy!

bryan87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here a quick up-date. I will have pictures later when I get home today.

I really don't know were to start other that I've been under a lot of stress and a poor diet. I'm loosing a lot of hair and I feel that my hair looks like crap at this moment. I've been trying to get Nizoral at my local store and I try a bunch of different one and I cant find it. Nizoral is sold out everywhere. Is it possible to buy it online? If so, please let me know where. I'm thinking about buying Janso's Thin to Thick. Has anyone use it? Is it a good choice? Also I will some B-Complex Vitamins. Can you also please tell me what type (Brand) I should get? I'm trying to maintain what I have. I will have pictures later.

Thank you,

bryan87

Reaction score
Also what is Biotin? Can someone tell me if this is good?

I want something to make my hair stronger. my hair is too week and falls very easily.

triplethreat

Reaction score
Why does everyone always look at pictures like this and say oh your fine...or...oh well u have a slight bit of recession. Annoys the sh*t outa me!

If this guy is losing hairs to the point where he notices it it means he is starting to thin. fullstop. Its exactly what I had happen to me. Around 19 i started noticing hairs falling out. It took YEARS before my hair changed much in appearance and my temples started to go back..even now at 25 im a nw2 after 6 years of falling hair. Bryan is probs like me and has SLOW hairloss but hairloss all the same.

So yeah you are losing hair and its not Telogen Effluvium. The white bulbs dont mean anything. everyone has them. Every hair i lose has one.

Bryan....you don't need to obsess with your hair and take pictures all the time. Your hair is NOT going to change rapidly anytime soon. Start low dosage of Finasteride and forget your hair. You have great hair so enjoy it when you can and worry about tracking your loss with pictures when its worse.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
triplethreat said:
Why does everyone always look at pictures like this and say oh your fine...or...oh well u have a slight bit of recession. Annoys the sh*t outa me!

If this guy is losing hairs to the point where he notices it it means he is starting to thin. fullstop. Its exactly what I had happen to me. Around 19 i started noticing hairs falling out. It took YEARS before my hair changed much in appearance and my temples started to go back..even now at 25 im a nw2 after 6 years of falling hair. Bryan is probs like me and has SLOW hairloss but hairloss all the same.

So yeah you are losing hair and its not Telogen Effluvium. The white bulbs dont mean anything. everyone has them. Every hair i lose has one.

Bryan....you don't need to obsess with your hair and take pictures all the time. Your hair is NOT going to change rapidly anytime soon. Start low dosage of Finasteride and forget your hair. You have great hair so enjoy it when you can and worry about tracking your loss with pictures when its worse.

A norwood 2 is the most common adult hairline going. If that's where you are after 6 years, you probably aren't going bald. And the white bulbs are the fatty materials that hair needs to grow so yes they are a good sign. Stop getting angry.