Finasteride losing effectiveness after 17 months, building up tolerance or what? (Blood Tests)

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You would probably better off going back to topical finasteride or low dose oral finasteride.

Finasteride will thicken the donor area as it acts systemically. Topical Dutasteride only acts were it's applied.

Your emotional rollercoaster is due to either an increase in E2, decrease in Testosterone or both (been there, it's horrible) or lack of Allop in the brain which Dutasteride inhibits.

Dutasteride is not for everybody, not even topically.

PS: You are using way too much of it.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You would probably better off going back to topical finasteride or low dose oral finasteride.

Finasteride will thicken the donor area as it acts systemically. Topical Dutasteride only acts were it's applied.

Your emotional rollercoaster is due to either an increase in E2, decrease in Testosterone or both (been there, it's horrible) or lack of Allop in the brain which Dutasteride inhibits.

Dutasteride is not for everybody, not even topically.

PS: You are using way too much of it.
Thanks for these insights. I am using way too much of it because I am balding aggressively. I am already into oral Finasteride+topical Finasteride, as I mentioned. I jumped to topical Duta because my hair loss progressed again. Maybe better to go with the oral route once a week and finasteride the other days?

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am consistently losing these types of hairs, like a chronic telogen effluvium plus advanced Androgenetic Alopecia. Just 3 random hairs. Every hair it's like that at the root.

Attachments

• Hair 1.jpg
    Hair 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Hair 2.jpg
    Hair 2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Hair 3.jpg
    Hair 3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 123

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for these insights. I am using way too much of it because I am balding aggressively. I am already into oral Finasteride+topical Finasteride, as I mentioned. I jumped to topical Duta because my hair loss progressed again. Maybe better to go with the oral route once a week and finasteride the other days?

You shouldn't be using topical dutasteride if you are using oral and topical finasteride. DHT clearly isn't your problem.

You need to look into an anti androgen (CB0301, Eucapil or 5% Fluridil).

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You shouldn't be using topical dutasteride if you are using oral and topical finasteride. DHT clearly isn't your problem.

You need to look into an anti androgen (CB0301, Eucapil or 5% Fluridil).
But how? It seems that Finasteride has started giving up on me since early February, after great results. I even performed the TrichoTest by Fagron back in May, while I was on oral&topical Finasteride, etc. The test showed that my 5AR2 activity was still mildly elevated, so it means that the 5AR2 is still damaging me. The funny thing is that 5AR1 came normal, but what does normal mean? 5AR1 can still lead to DHT through other pathways. The test suggested Finasteride and Saw Palmetto, but not Dutasteride, pretty nonsense, since there are studies saying that Saw Palmetto can inhibit both isoforms of 5AR, like Dutasteride does, with the exception of course that Dutasteride is far far better than Saw Palmetto.

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You had mildly elevated DHT serum on oral finasteride and topical finasteride?
Do you have scalp dermatitis?
What are your testosterone levels?
If I were you I would try an anti androgen (CB0301), it's expensive but it might be the solution

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You had mildly elevated DHT serum on oral finasteride and topical finasteride?
Do you have scalp dermatitis?
What are your testosterone levels?
If I were you I would try an anti androgen (CB0301), it's expensive but it might be the solution
1) Yes, I am mentioning this on the first page of my thread.DHT rebound. While my DHT was inhibited from Finasteride by 44% when I started, topical and oral, then it came back to baseline levels in January.
2) Nope, my scalp seems okay under the microscope.
3)They range from 450-640 ng/dl.

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never heard a case before were Finasteride stops working and doesn't affect DHT levels

Are you measuring it properly at the lab? Standard lab measurements are highly erratic.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never heard a case before were Finasteride stops working and doesn't affect DHT levels

Are you measuring it properly at the lab? Standard lab measurements are highly erratic.
Well, I don't know the measurement for the DHT(ELISA, etc.), but you can see that they were in the inhibited range most of the time, until, of course, the last time. I mentioned that I checked 3a-Diol-G. If you search a bit, this is a better indicator from DHT alone because is a potent metabolite of DHT. You can see that it went almost eight times higher from baseline. While this and my DHT were lower, my hair quality/condition was far better.

"3α-Androstanediol glucuronide (3α-ADG) is a metabolite formed from human androgens; compounds involved in the development and maintenance of sexual characteristics. It is formed by the glucuronidation of both dihydrotestosterone and testosterone, and has been proposed as means of measuring androgenic activity.
In women the adrenal steroids, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, androstenedione, and dehydroepiandrosterone are the major precursors of plasma 3α-ADG, accounting for almost the totality of circulating 3α-ADG. Levels of 3α-ADG decrease significantly with age.
3α-ADG is used as a marker of target tissue cellular action. 3α-ADG correlates with level of 5α-reductase activity (testosterone and 3α-androstanediol to dihydrotestosterone) in the skin. Concentrations of 3α-ADG are associated with the level of cutaneous androgen metabolism."

"Serum 3a-androstanediol glucuronide (3a-Adiol-G) is considered to be an indicator of peripheral tissue androgen metabolism. Precursor circulating androgens are converted in peripheral tissue to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is ultimately metabolized to 3a-Adiol-G and secreted from the cell. Elevated serum 3a-Adiol-G concentrations have been reported in women in hyperandrogenic states. We studied 44 consecutive male medical students for chest hair density, acne, and serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S), total testosterone (total T), free and albumin-bound (bioavailable) T (bio T), and 3a-Adiol-G concentrations. Although there was a considerable overlap of serum 3a-Adiol-G values among the groups defined by hair density or acne scores, we found statistically significant correlations between serum 3a-Adiol-G and chest hairiness (P = 0.0034), acne (P = 0.0005), and a combined chest hairiness and acne score (P = 0.0018). There was no significant correlation between these clinical parameters and the levels of precursor androgens. There was, however, a strong correlation between serum 3a-Adiol-G and bio T (P = 0.0005), suggesting that in men serum 3a-Adiol-G levels may be dependent upon available free and albumin-bound T. The correlations in men of serum 3a-Adiol-G with chest hair density, acne, and the hairiness and acne index supports the hypothesis that the serum levels of 3a-Adiol-G reflect the extent of androgen action in peripheral tissues."

Study:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2972739/

Last edited:

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am consistently losing these types of hairs, like a chronic telogen effluvium plus advanced Androgenetic Alopecia. Just 3 random hairs. Every hair it's like that at the root.
Still shedding these hair strands, nothing changed. My hair keeps dying. It's crazy! I am three weeks already on Oral Dutasteride once a week alongside Finasteride, but I can't see hope, people. I stopped using topical Dutasteride early December. I will try to manage to get a lot of blood tests. It's crazy that my sides and my donor are thinning too! And it's not recent. It is almost a month now.

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
Your situation seems to be very complex/unique - it seems to be a combination of AA plus something else (DUPA? Telogen Effluvium?). Have you recently gone to a dermatologist to see if they can determine if you have dermatitis or some other skin condition? I would try to resolve any skin condition you may have as the first step...

Are you posting on tressless? It seems there isn't much feedback on here for you...thanks for sharing your detailed story I'm sure it will help someone someday. Hope you are able to figure out what is causing your problems soon.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your situation seems to be very complex/unique - it seems to be a combination of AA plus something else (DUPA? Telogen Effluvium?). Have you recently gone to a dermatologist to see if they can determine if you have dermatitis or some other skin condition? I would try to resolve any skin condition you may have as the first step...

Are you posting on tressless? It seems there isn't much feedback on here for you...thanks for sharing your detailed story I'm sure it will help someone someday. Hope you are able to figure out what is causing your problems soon.
Yes, definitely DUPA as well. Probably Retrograde too. You can see here how advanced my Androgenetic Alopecia was: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...i-was-18-years-old-unbearable-disease.134921/

My scalp condition is quite good.
I hadn't changed anything from my treatment routine. I was losing the results steadily. I got a tremendous recovery in the first year of oral Finasteride and topical Finasteride alongside Minoxidil. Then, it started gradually going backward again. Now, I can't see hope. I can only see my hair getting wrecked…

I am not posting a lot on Reddit.

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely DUPA as well. Probably Retrograde too. You can see here how advanced my Androgenetic Alopecia was: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...i-was-18-years-old-unbearable-disease.134921/

My scalp condition is quite good.
I hadn't changed anything from my treatment routine. I was losing the results steadily. I got a tremendous recovery in the first year of oral Finasteride and topical Finasteride alongside Minoxidil. Then, it started gradually going backward again. Now, I can't see hope. I can only see my hair getting wrecked…

I am not posting a lot on Reddit.

I guess right now its best if you give oral duta some time...if that doesnt work, maybe you can give CB or Fluridil a try as suggested above.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
31EC1342-CFFA-4ECA-8EC8-41B51AB65AE8.jpeg

I know that I have DUPA but this looks so sickly…. Telogen effluvium? Alopecia Areata? What a disaster…

Attachments

• 57581495-32E4-44BF-BB95-6F53F91C0DE5.jpeg
    57581495-32E4-44BF-BB95-6F53F91C0DE5.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 87

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
That doesnt look right.... We both got some underlying problem other than dht. But to find the cause is tricky. Im gonna try some diet stuff and go easy on the shampoo I dont think having a dry scalp and hair is good for hair growth, also gonna use my laser helmet again and make smoothies out of vegtables. Even my side hair grows slow af man. Have you tried aswaganda?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-15-21-12-15-695_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-15-21-12-15-695_com.android.chrome.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 85

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
View attachment 177122
I know that I have DUPA but this looks so sickly…. Telogen effluvium? Alopecia Areata? What a disaster…
Unfortunately, you just have very aggressive male pattern baldness. If you are losing hair all over your body, I would say alopecia aerata.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
f*****g weird. I pulled another hair from the thinning area on the side of head Close to crown where it grows slow af and once again a thick hair and when you snap it in two with fingers its a very strong hair. Deffo something wrong here. And the worst part is im afraid its permanent. I booked an appointment with doctor.

Last edited: