Folexen: New Hair Loss Treatment based on S-Equol

Jasperdje

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that simple I am afraid. If you look up the references earlier on in this thread - Equol does shrink the prostrate (which in turn causes its own effects "downstream") and DHT does affect the genital area. Now, each person is different physically and hence what may affect me may not affect you.

From what I remember, your male pattern baldness is also much less aggressive than mine. I have a few years on you but far more aggressive hair loss. Point is our bodies are different, our androgen balances could be different as well.

I am one of those unlucky folks who are sensitive to anti androgens. I experienced sides at 0.25 mg finasteride, just used twice or thrice, that too over a week! Things were so bad that I went to the medic for a check up (and I was told that the sides I experienced were "common" to many finasteride users, the marketing literature was rubbish and did not reflect actual user experiences since the doctor had seen worse than what had been reported so far, the doctor advised me to discontinue). It took them a fair while to disappear. Many others experience zero sides on finasteride. I know what I experienced and it was hardly in my mind. The discomfort was staggering. Equol symptoms for me were the same, but much much milder (still very irritating though).

So yes, 1.25mg can cause sides as far as I am concerned - note that my sides were pretty obvious at 5mg once a day and what I have now are a virtual repeat of the 2.5mg ones.

Oral - gave me sides at 5 mg. It was half the reccomended dosage so only way I could go ahead was a topical.

Here we go again..

Read this thread from the beginning and you'll see my interactions with Folexen rep confirming that a topical can be made using alcohol or propylene glycol! Only issue are the fillers that they add to the powder!

And "this isnt a drug, its a food supplement", seriously? Boss, FYI, equol IS a drug. Its being marketed as such by several firms who are using it to treat BPH (enlarged prostrate). Its also in Phased clinical trials for drug authority approval, being held by AussioPharma across the world.

Before "wondering" about other folks, perhaps you could research a little?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're saying that your genitals is/was shrinking on 2,5mg equol? Or are you having erection problems?

- - - Updated - - -

So if I had some nasty sides while on finasteride, I'm quite likely to get them while taking equol? Law, what positive effects does it have on skin? Reduced oiliness, acne?
Today is my 33rd day of waiting for a big nice package with blue capsules.

33 days? where do you come from bro?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
guys...one month or so is NOT ENOUGH TIME!! Jeezus...get a grip....it will take a few months for this to work its way into the system...again, this is NOT A DRUG, IT IS A FOOD SUPPLEMENT....crist-almighty

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're saying that your genitals is/was shrinking on 2,5mg equol? Or are you having erection problems?

Nothing that drastic, thank God
More like discomfort (you know slight pressure/pain), more sensitive (painful/sore) genitals/ pen**, and watery ejaculate.
Sides seem less pronounced than on the 5 mg (oral) or even 2.5 mg (oral) and are nowhere near those on 0.25mg finasteride.
On finasteride, I had all the above, all the time (pain/discomfort wise) - through the darn day, and was going to the restroom every 2 hours. Even there, it'd dribble. Scary.
On the other hand, I have read accounts by posters who used finasteride for several years and it did zero to them in terms of sides.
So clearly, DHT blockers affect people differently

- - - Updated - - -

guys...one month or so is NOT ENOUGH TIME!! Jeezus...get a grip....it will take a few months for this to work its way into the system...again, this is NOT A DRUG, IT IS A FOOD SUPPLEMENT....crist-almighty

What the heck is a food supplement? Is it a category that you have decided to create? And "few months" to work into the system, plus expletives? Seriously, how much experience have you with drugs, how much research have you done and what exactly is your awareness of these things, including half life? Finasteride suppresses DHT to incredible levels and its half life is fairly long, so the body has an immediate reaction which can last for days! Without even understanding that, you claim "one month or so is not enough time"? Enough time for what exactly?

I am sorry, but your posts are nothing but rants, including the one about Folexen being a scam and what not.

Further, you insult those whom you don't know, advise them to "get a grip" when your own grip on reality is rather tenuous (food supplements versus drugs apparently - you fail to realize that the effect of ANY chemically active product on the human body has several effects, and many of the so called food supplements/junk being advertised have little in-vivo research backing their claims and deserve to be treated carefully!). And here you take a DRUG which is being used to treat BPH and claim it is a food supplement!

Here, do some reading at least: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_prostatic_hyperplasia

http://clinicaltrialsfeeds.org/clinical-trials/show/NCT00962390

Interventions Used in this Clinical Trial

• Drug: S-equol
    • 10mg, 50mg, & 150mg BID, oral dose
  • Drug: Placebo
    • Placebo
http://www.ausiopharma.com/

Ausio Pharmaceuticals, LLC, is a clinical-stage biotechnology development company focused on the advancement of safe and effective medicines for the aging population. Ausio’s lead product is AUS-131, a first-in-class, nonsteroidal, nonhormonal estrogen receptor β (ERβ) agonist that offers a potentially safer alternative to estrogen for the treatment of menopausal symptoms and is currently in Phase 2a clinical trials. AUS-131 is also being evaluated for its potential to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and other indications. The company has garnered a strong patent position for AUS-131.

AUS-131 is Equol!

Go spend some time with a medical professional before making it appear that these bio-active products are akin to harmless candy or "food supplements" - they can and do have effects on people!

Those effects vary!

As shown in this very thread - many folks here are perfectly ok with minimal/zero perceived effects. Others may have different experiences! That too is a fact!

If you can't or won't read, at least stop making such misleading statements - "food supplements", "few months to work its way into the system"!

- - - Updated - - -

The north of Russia

Witty handle, LOL'ed at that one...

- - - Updated - - -

Estrogens tend to have positive effects on skin if I'm not mistaken. S-equol exert action via the estrogen receptor beta. Look it up on google scholar, I don't have the ref handy.

Can you explain a bit more about the ER Beta angle? Read that, but didn't quite look it up. If you have already done some research around it, would appreciate your insight.

ABJac

Reaction score
Lotta Hostility

- - - Updated - - -

1. Chill lol nobody really knows much, most of the people on here are just speculating.
2. I am all but certain you know what a "food supplement" is. It is a supplement derived from a food. S-equol is a metabolite of daidzein (a iso found in soy), making it a food supplement. I believe the process they use to achieve the natural s-equol is a natural process, not 100% sure if there is any synthetic processes they use, I may be wrong.
3. As for a month to start working, given that S-equol has a full life of 48 hours (on average) he might just mean it takes more then a month to notice any results, seeing as the hair cycles do not change so rapidly.
4. You are right that anything you ingest can cause complications and will react differently in everyone. But as far as natural products go, there is far less to worry about because there is nothing synthetic to metabolize, and outside of a allergic reaction, most natural substances metabolize and digest much more efficiently making them less potent.

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
Lotta Hostility

- - - Updated - - -

1. Chill lol nobody really knows much, most of the people on here are just speculating.
2. I am all but certain you know what a "food supplement" is. It is a supplement derived from a food. S-equol is a metabolite of daidzein (a iso found in soy), making it a food supplement. I believe the process they use to achieve the natural s-equol is a natural process, not 100% sure if there is any synthetic processes they use, I may be wrong.
3. As for a month to start working, given that S-equol has a full life of 48 hours (on average) he might just mean it takes more then a month to notice any results, seeing as the hair cycles do not change so rapidly.
4. You are right that anything you ingest can cause complications and will react differently in everyone. But as far as natural products go, there is far less to worry about because there is nothing synthetic to metabolize, and outside of a allergic reaction, most natural substances metabolize and digest much more efficiently making them less potent.

The point is that there are a lot of item being advertised out there as food supplements which are in fact not tested for those doses in the average human. The term food supplement is a bit misleading and has become more of a marketing gimmick - if a person has a balanced diet, one wouldn't need those supplements to begin with, unless the diet was missing some key ingredients.

Also, just because a product is claimed to be natural, does not really guarantee safety, or the corollary - a synthetic product is not necessarily toxic. There are folks for instance allergic to soy - so for them, this "food supplement" angle fails. Similarly, we all take in huge amounts of synthetics via junk/processed food, but it doesn't necessarily translate to severe life threatening ailments provided we keep an overall healthy lifestyle.

His claims made so far about "it will take a month for results to be evident" was not regarding hair but sides, and that was bunk, TBH.
Also about how S-equol is produced, Folexen on their site claim that its done purely by a natural process...but the Chinese folks who synthesise all this stuff may have another method.

Jasperdje

Established Member
Reaction score
2. I am all but certain you know what a "food supplement" is. It is a supplement derived from a food. S-equol is a metabolite of daidzein (a iso found in soy), making it a food supplement.

All that talk about food makes me hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

The north of Russia

Oh yes. The motherland of hot chicks :D

- - - Updated - - -

Also about how S-equol is produced, Folexen on their site claim that its done purely by a natural process...but the Chinese folks who synthesise all this stuff may have another method.

I don't care if it's synthesized or natural. If it can stop the MBP process, it's a go. Finasteride is synthesized and everybody praise it sky high, how about that. So really who gives a #.

Is there anyone that is on equol here for longer than 6 weeks en has found a little stabilization?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
His claims made so far about "it will take a month for results to be evident" was not regarding hair but sides, and that was bunk, TBH.

...uh, no..I was referring to hair, not sides...and the sides you got are all in your freakin' head cuz this stuff isn't potent enough to react like you claim...jeezus, there must be tens of thousands of Asian's with limp dicks and watery semen, or whatever you claim you have had....it's all in your head....

Jasperdje

Established Member
Reaction score
...uh, no..I was referring to hair, not sides...and the sides you got are all in your freakin' head cuz this stuff isn't potent enough to react like you claim...jeezus, there must be tens of thousands of Asian's with limp dicks and watery semen, or whatever you claim you have had....it's all in your head....

The only side you can get is 'shedding' right?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The only side you can get is 'shedding' right?

No one knows for sure, but it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that a FOOD SUPPLEMENT would give the exact same sides that a FULL ON DRUG LIKE finasteride would give...especially in such low quantities...Give me a break!!! Some real mental cases on this web board..

Jasperdje

Established Member
Reaction score
No one knows for sure, but it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that a FOOD SUPPLEMENT would give the exact same sides that a FULL ON DRUG LIKE finasteride would give...especially in such low quantities...Give me a break!!! Some real mental cases on this web board..
Relax men. If s-equol has any effect on the hair growth and DHT, the sick hair will be replaced. You haven't hear me saying that it will be in the same amount as finasteride. And please, don't underestimate "food supplements". Even a food supplement makes a chemic reaction in your body en can f*** things up.

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score

You know what, clearly you can't or won't read -the links are all in this thread, and clearly, you are are not going to be bothered to look into any of it, and I am done wasting my time responding to your increasingly repetitive replies, same old same old. First, I had to dig up the links to show how your claims of "supplements" as versus drugs were clearly untrue, and now its this "its all in your head"..

Yeah sure, all in my head- and you'd know more than the urologist whom I met and who explained how dht blockers worked, the typical symptoms, the same as I saw on finasteride (and he had seen far more) and what I have been observing, by jotting down notes to make sure that I was not "imagining things" - again, a method suggested by the doctor.

If you actually did some thinking for a change, you'd realize that different folks respond differently to different drugs and that entire populations who have entirely different diets to others, are attuned to those effects and many of those folks bodies have adapted over time! Whereas other folks seeking to replicate the same would have entirely different effects! The same way one group of people develops allergies to items which another group is a regular user of!

This stuff isn't potent enough for you perhaps - again in plain english, since you can't be bothered with it - that applies toyou! To those of us who are sensitive to antiandrogens/DHT reducers - its potent enough.

Anyways, I am done wasting time with your posts. There is nothing productive in them whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

The manner in which you are projecting your behaviour onto others and becoming abusive ("real mental cases on this webboard") when you are the one ranting away with caps lock, is pretty revealing. Get yourself checked out. Perhaps its hair loss which has turned you into an obnoxiously aggressive individual. Eitherways, you clearly need help.

Coming to finasteride like effects, did you even understand what Equol is? It binds DHT! Of course for those sensitive to DHT changes it would act as finasteride does! One way or the other, your androgen receptors are not getting DHT. Sheesh...

- - - Updated - - -

Relax men. If s-equol has any effect on the hair growth and DHT, the sick hair will be replaced. You haven't hear me saying that it will be in the same amount as finasteride.

You take enough equol and you'll bind enough DHT to get the same effect as finasteride. Only difference is that you won't be messing with Five Alpha R which is required for other functions as well, so thats a plus.

And please, don't underestimate "food supplements". Even a food supplement makes a chemic reaction in your body en can f*** things up.

Yeah, exactly. How hard is this to understand?

Can't believe anybody can be so obtuse so as to not get this? And then on top of it get abusive when such a common sense thing is pointed out, LOL!

On another board a year or sometime back, another magic food supplement was being touted - Saw Palmetto, another guy was touting Beta Sisterols. Same way as our "Sparx" gent here is claiming food supplement labeling as some sort of cachet. Both guys couldn't handle finasteride to begin with and were now claiming these "safe food supplements" would be ok.

Guess what, same symptoms, same issues & both guys dropped it overnight after the issues became apparent.

All this "food supplement" stuff is mostly for the gullible I'm afraid.

Multivitamins/Food supplements are now a multi Billion $ business and they have unfortunately made folks believe that popping all these pills is absolutely ok

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
And yet Aks20, you continue to take Folexen, given these apparent side effects?

Isnt that the same challenge many face with all these DHT reducers/blockers..all we can do is walk into these situations with our eyes open. Oral products IMO are more problematic than topicals because they remain within our body longer.

Anyways regarding equol..
I have reduced the dosage to as small as I can get to minimize the sides. My earlier post has the exact details

I started off with 2.5mg oral, to the 5mg - as the company suggested (sides kicked in), moving above this, and they kicked in hard.
But they were not as bad as they were on 0.25mg finasteride. This, actually backs up the stuff we have in this thread about Equol dosing being linear.
Second thing is, if you discontinue Equol, so far sides have dissipated far quicker. This also backs up the reports of Equol half life being much lesser than that of finasteride.

So I moved to the topical approach. Right now, I am using approx half a capsul (1/8th of the recommended daily dosage - 10 mg) dissolved in an alcohol base, daily and it has reduced my shedding by tons. No thickening or regrowth (as can be seen in minoxidil) though.

Being a topical, the amount of product going systemic is lesser. But once it builds up, it gives issues..

But no, I am not 2 happy with Equol thanks to the sides. Its a pain to be so sensitive to DHT reducing products since they are clearly effective. But based on all the reports linked in this thread, Equol is probably the safest DHT reducer we have now, better than all those which work on the basis of reducing Five Alpha-R

On the plus side, those of you who dont get sides with finasteride etc can try out this topical way...it may save you a ton of money though!:)

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
Notice

Due to challenging economic conditions, Eclipse Nutraceuticals has ceased trading as of 2012.09.24.

Customer support is still available by e-mailing info@folexen.com.

We would like to wish everyone the best in their treatment; we suggest EquolSlim as a viable alternative to Folexen, for those who have found S-equol to be efficacious.

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
DAMN!!!!

EquolSlim contains tons of other stuff apart from Equol including Chromium etc. :(

Mr Blonde

Reaction score
Well isn't that just a kick in the nuts. My 3 month supply arrived in the post only a couple of weeks ago. I have gone from hoping it works to hoping it doesn't now. If it does work and we can't buy anymore that would really compound our misery.

Nature's Way are due to release there S-Equol product Q2 next year. I guess we will have to wait for that. I might try tapper down my supply to last until then.

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
[Nature's Way are due to release there S-Equol product Q2 next year. I guess we will have to wait for that. I might try tapper down my supply to last until then.

Q2 next year? Any confirmation? Thats just too late. :(