Foreigners Views on Americans

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
We should start another thread about the pet peeves of language.

I've thought about doing that, too, ever since my first thread on that topic got deleted.

optimus prime said:
People here in UK swap 'borrowed' and 'lend'.

'They say, can I lend your pen please.'

Fascinating!! :) Does that happen only among the lower class (like Cockneys), or is it more widespread than that?

optimus prime said:
They also say,

'That will learn you' instead of, 'That will teach you'

Drives me insane.

That's what was used by Mark Twain in "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn"; his characters were frequently saying things like "That'll learn you!" :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:
Anyone who says either of those (particularly the second one) is a bit of a numpty.

1. Numpty
Scottish usage:
a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

I just learned something again today! :)

GeminiX

Reaction score
"Like" is one of my biggest pet peeves:

So like, are we going to the beach?

Or even worse, in my local Swansea dialect:

Ow, what's 'appening like mush?

I never had the luxury of learning English at school and have had to figure it out for myself, but surely there can be no excuse for using "like" in that manner.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:
I have never heard it here, thank God.

We should start another thread about the pet peeves of language. People here in UK swap 'borrowed' and 'lend'.

They also say,

Drives me insane.

I've grown up and lived in London all my life and I can honestly say I've NEVER heard either of those. Not saying people don't say them but if they do it's news to me.

Anyone who says either of those (particularly the second one) is a bit of a numpty.

Maybe local to Bristol. Thank God it has not taken off. We also use 'Lush' to describe things we like.

'That cake tastes lush.'
'That girl is lush.'

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Fascinating!! Does that happen only among the lower class (like Cockneys), or is it more widespread than that?

I can't 100% say it is just lower class, but the people who I heard use it were a select group who happened to be lower class/working class. lol

Bryan said:
That's what was used by Mark Twain in "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn"; his characters were frequently saying things like "That'll learn you!" :)

Ahhh. That is interesting. I did not know that.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
"Like" is one of my biggest pet peeves:

So like, are we going to the beach?

Or even worse, in my local Swansea dialect:

Ow, what's 'appening like mush?

I never had the luxury of learning English at school and have had to figure it out for myself, but surely there can be no excuse for using "like" in that manner.

LOL. I went to university with many Welsh and they are very creative with the English language.

Also they could not say video, it was more like veed-yo. lol

HughJass

Reaction score
Cassin said:
oh come on now...you do this in countless threads....and nothing is scary...

That's just silly, as is the idea that a criticism of America's overseas conduct equates to attack on the entirety of America.

If anyone thinks my views about the subject are ignorant or ill informed then they are free to challenge with them solid facts. I haven't seen anyone do that yet. All I hear is howls of 'bias'. Hardly a sufficient counter argument.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Cassin said:

That's just silly, as is the idea that a criticism of America's overseas conduct equates to attack on the entirety of America.

If anyone thinks my views about the subject are ignorant or ill informed then they are free to challenge with them solid facts. I haven't seen anyone do that yet. All I hear is howls of 'bias'. Hardly a sufficient counter argument.

This thread is not about America's foreign policy. It is about Americans, the people.

There is a huge difference between a government and people. For example, I hate the Chinese government, but I think Chinese people are great.

When SAF said many people are jealous of Americans, there is some truth in that. Some people are jealous because they have nice cars, nice houses, good income, etc. Obviously you being Australian you don't feel jealous, because you also have those things, but there are many countries who don't.

Why can't you talk about Americans without getting into another boring debate about their foreign policy and government?

powersam

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Why can't you talk about Americans without getting into another boring debate about their foreign policy and government?

He was responding to this remark:

s.a.f said:
But back to the subject, I would rather live in America than anywhere else. I think any American hatred is probably just jealousy.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:
I have never heard it here, thank God.

We should start another thread about the pet peeves of language. People here in UK swap 'borrowed' and 'lend'.

They also say,

Drives me insane.

I've grown up and lived in London all my life and I can honestly say I've NEVER heard either of those. Not saying people don't say them but if they do it's news to me.

Agreed it depends on who you associate with, I think its just a lower class dialogue. The one that annoys me is 'our' instead of my eg "Our mums coming round our house".

Cassin

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Cassin said:

You keep missing my point...

HughJass

Reaction score
Cassin said:
aussieavodart said:
Cassin said:

You keep missing my point...

I don't know what your point was, if you could clarify or reiterate.......

Viens

Reaction score
How do you Americans feel about these once 'secret' acts?

http://listverse.com/2011/06/12/10-secr ... jects/#956

One example, "Perhaps the most wrong-headed, ill-advised and dangerous of all the atmospheric nuclear explosions by the US, Projects Teak and Orange were right out of a science fiction story about mad scientists and their crazy experiments leading to the destruction of the planet.

Teak and Orange were two massive, 3.8 megaton nuclear devices which would be detonated in the Earths upper atmosphere over the Johnston Atoll, 750 miles west of Hawaii. Teak was exploded at 50 miles and Orange was exploded at 28 miles in the upper atmosphere. The purpose of these tests was to give the US a measuring stick to use so as to determine if the Soviet Union did the same thing (exploded a nuclear device high in the Earths atmosphere). As if such an explosion would be difficult to detect? It seems mad now, looking back, that such tests were green-lighted, but that was the mood of the Cold War in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Test first, ask questions later.

How obvious is it to explode a 3.8 megaton nuclear device 28-50 miles up? The fireballs produced burned the retinas of any living thing within a 225 mile radius of the blast. Anything that had been looking at the sky when the blast occurred, without protective goggles was blinded. This included hundreds of monkeys and rabbits flown in aircraft nearby. The animals had their heads locked into devices that forced them to look at the blast. From Guam to Wake Island to Maui, the blue sky turned red, white and gray, creating an aura over a 2,100 mile section of the meridian. Radio communication throughout a huge part of the Pacific went dead. One of the weapons test engineers stated it chillingly – “we almost blew a hole in the ozone layerâ€. In fact, prior to the explosions scientists had warned that it would be possible to blast a hole in the Earths protective ozone layer, but Teak and Orange went ahead regardless."

How dumb can you get? And with so much power and influence?

Well at least we all know now who to blame!

"Not to be outdone, even higher high-altitude nuclear tests were conducted, these under Operation Argus. Nuclear tipped missiles were fired from ships for the first time as part of Argus. On August 27, 30 and September 6, 1950, nuclear warheads were shot into space by X-17 rockets from the deck of a US warship anchored off South Africa. These missiles went 300 miles out into space. The reason for these nuclear tests in outer space? One scientist theorized that exploding nuclear bombs in the Earths magnetic field (but above the Earth’s atmosphere) could create an electronic pulse that would render incoming Russian ICBM’s inoperative. Though a magnetic pulse was created by the nuclear explosions, the pulse was not large enough to have any affect on the ICBM’s. The project was another dangerous, and ultimately futile, experiment."

WOW, just WOW!

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've been to America a few times and always found the people to be very friendly, and a lot more entrepreneurial and optimistic than my fellow Brits.

Even the loud thick Americans are funny, in a point and laugh kind of way.

God bless America, and waffles :salut:

Only kidding, America is an outlaw country that needs to be put back in to British rule.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0vlNDtgGghw/TTzS_TQbO6I/AAAAAAAABmA/5Ci2Tw8x1_g/s1600/800px-Flag_of_the_British_East_India_Company_%25281707%2529.svg.png

:punk:
that flag is missing Northern Ireland :smack: