Foreigners Views on Americans

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
cyberprimate said:
The idea that Americans are hated abroad is pure myth...

This is certainly my experience and I am looking forward to September's vacation in Austria, Southern Germany and the Czech Republic.

It also seems that in Western Europe, British tourists are not well received...

HughJass

Reaction score
Cassin said:
aussieavodart said:
s.a.f said:
I think any American hatred is probably just jealousy.

indeed, there couldn't possibly be any other plausible explanation for it

C'mon... just stop with your obsession. We get it.

You are scaring me Cassin.

When I hear a response along the lines of "LOL who gives a sh*t America is the best no matter what and we'll do whatever we want!!" I can just put that down to superpower syndrome or sheer stupidity. But when I hear you labeling me as 'obsessive' for drawing the most glaringly obvious conclusion - that lack of love for the US in some quarters *just* might be more related to body count, destruction and interference rather than a case of the green eyed monster- I start to think Soviet-style indoctrination.

That conclusion I mentioned above could only seem obsessive or unreasonable to someone who believes that America has never put a foot wrong, so is that honestly how you see America's conduct around the world? As largely benign and benevolent?

Cassin

Reaction score
ugh........man you just have such a negative stance. Focusing on politics will drive you insane and add too much bitterness to your life. Its not mentally healthy. Its good to be aware but not so narrow focused. If you're curious about Americans learn about our art, books, national parks, communities, non military foreign aid...social documentaries (not conspiracy theory ones please)

I can't stand what has happened with out military but on Tuesday I am going to an art district to watch an outdoor symphony that is surrounded by a massive flower garden. Me and a lot of other American's will be there. Probably a few thousand.

HughJass

Reaction score
Cassin said:
ugh........man you just have such a negative stance.

That really doesn't make any sense to me.

Shouldn't a conversation about this subject revolve around truth and reason and not whether or not we like the sound of what we are hearing?

The only alternative I can see is to become total ideologues and filter out the inconvenient truths that threaten our worldview.

Of course there is more to life than politics, but I don't know why that means we have to stop being honest and reasonable when we talk about the subject.

I'm well aware that America (and every other country for that matter) is more than just it's foreign policy. I've never suggested that it wasn't.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry Aussie, I agree with Cassin. It does seem like an obsession.

Every country has faults, you seem to focus on the states. What about China? What about Zimbabwe? What about Mexico?

China is brutal to its own people. That is 1 billion humans! Zimbabwe forced the whites out of their country. etc etc.

We get it, you don't like the USA policies, lets move on.

My opinion of the Americans is simple, I take them at face value like every other human. Some are really friendly and nice, some are c****. Luckily for me I have only met nice Americans. When I was a child we used to have students come live with us. It was great!

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't like how Americans say 'I could care less' when they mean they could NOT care less. It makes no sense. It really makes no sense.

:dunno:

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Actually, I don't like how Americans say 'I could care less' when they mean they could NOT care less. It makes no sense. It really makes no sense.

[youtube:2ttyr6tn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk[/youtube:2ttyr6tn]

Cassin

Reaction score
optimus prime said:

Drives me nuts as well! Not everyone does say it like that but too many do.

Cassin

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Cassin said:
ugh........man you just have such a negative stance.

That really doesn't make any sense to me.

Shouldn't a conversation about this subject revolve around truth and reason and not whether or not we like the sound of what we are hearing?

The only alternative I can see is to become total ideologues and filter out the inconvenient truths that threaten our worldview.

Of course there is more to life than politics, but I don't know why that means we have to stop being honest and reasonable when we talk about the subject.

I'm well aware that America (and every other country for that matter) is more than just it's foreign policy. I've never suggested that it wasn't.
Conversation and obsessively using every chance possible to make your well known stance known anew are two different things. Again, we get it. It doesn't hurt my red white & blue feelings or anything like that but good lord man....we know.

And I do have one question. For perspective,..you ever been here or do you mold your opinions from news, forums and the like? Because if I did I would consider all Aussies racist xenophobes.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:

Back a few years ago, I started a thread on this forum with a title something like: "Pet Peeves On The Use Of Language..." (I'm forgetting the exact title I chose.) If I remember correctly, the brainlessness of that stupid 'I could care less' thing that so many people say was one of the main entries in that thread! :)

I have to admit, though, that I wasn't aware that this is something unique to Americans. I guess I had assumed that ALL English-speaking people say that!! I'm terribly embarrassed that we alone are the ones who say something that stupid...

Cassin

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Back a few years ago, I started a thread on this forum with a title something like: "Pet Peeves On The Use Of Language..." (I'm forgetting the exact title I chose.) If I remember correctly, the brainlessness of that stupid 'I could care less' thing that so many people say was one of the main entries in that thread! :)

I just tried to find it...no luck...

Must have gotten deleted when we had the great religion purging of off topic...

I still freaking hate we had to do that.

powersam

Reaction score
Bryan said:
optimus prime said:

I have to admit, though, that I wasn't aware that this is something unique to Americans. I guess I had assumed that ALL English-speaking people say that!! I'm terribly embarrassed that we alone are the ones who say something that stupid...

I always thought it was meant to be said sarcastically, it makes perfect sense then.

The one I never really understood was 'lucked out' somehow meaning good luck.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
[quote="optimus prime":1u8z5232]Actually, I don't like how Americans say 'I could care less' when they mean they could NOT care less. It makes no sense. It really makes no sense.

[youtube:1u8z5232]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk[/youtube:1u8z5232][/quote:1u8z5232]
great artists steal ;)
[youtube:1u8z5232]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw[/youtube:1u8z5232]

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
powersam said:
I always thought it was meant to be said sarcastically, it makes perfect sense then.

No, I don't think that's an explanation for it. Lots of times I've heard people use that stupid sentence without any trace of humor or sarcasm. Here's a made-up example of a typical conversation between a couple of office workers who are just passing time on the job:

"Man, I'm getting hungry!"
"Me too."
"Hey, no wonder! It's almost noon! Wanna go to lunch together?"
"Sure."
"Any particular place ya wanna go?"
"Nah. I could care less."
"Okay, let's make it McDonalds".
"Okay."

That's just the casual kind of conversation where I've heard people use that stupid wording. It's not sarcastic or humorous in any way, it's just plain STUPID.

Cassin

Reaction score
powersam said:
The one I never really understood was 'lucked out' somehow meaning good luck.

I've always taken it as you got so lucky and things worked out so well for you that you used up all your luck.

There is another similar American saying "cashed out" that can mean you take all your gambling winnings and leave the game.

HughJass

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Conversation and obsessively using every chance possible to make your well known stance known anew are two different things.

How exactly is it 'obsessive?'

Somebody makes an absurd claim that anti-Americanism can be attributed to jealously, I posit the glaringly obvious- that it has more to do with a militant foreign policy, and this demonstrates an 'obsessiveness'? I think you are only demonstrating a rather nationalistic sensitivity to criticism.

Trying to make out that it's my favorite pastime to bash America is rediculous, my views on American foreign policy are made in threads directly relating to American foreign policy and outsiders views of it, threads like this one. If those kind of threads are no appropriate venues for airing those kind of opinions, then which ones are?

And I do have one question. For perspective,..you ever been here or do you mold your opinions from news, forums and the like? Because if I did I would consider all Aussies racist xenophobes.

Perhaps if I made sweeping generalizations about 'all Americans' then you might have a point. As it happens I don't and anybody who says otherwise is either deliberatly misrepresenting my comments or not reading them closely enough.

:)

HughJass

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Every country has faults, you seem to focus on the states

That's kind of inevitable when the topic of the thread relates to the United States.

I think it's more than obvious that some people are of the opinion that the United States just shouldn't be criticized. Or it can only be criticized up to a certain point and then it has to stop. It appears to be very threatening to some deeply held beliefs.

Nobody actually deals with the arguments. They just just cry foul when it get's a bit scary and then want the conversation to stop.

Cassin

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
optimus prime said:
Every country has faults, you seem to focus on the states

That's kind of inevitable when the topic of the thread relates to the United States.

I think it's more than obvious that some people are of the opinion that the United States just shouldn't be criticized. Or it can only be criticized up to a certain point and then it has to stop. It appears to be very threatening to some deeply held beliefs.

Nobody actually deals with the arguments. They just just cry foul when it get's a bit scary and then want the conversation to stop.

oh come on now...you do this in countless threads....and nothing is scary...

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I have to admit, though, that I wasn't aware that this is something unique to Americans.

I have never heard it here, thank God.

We should start another thread about the pet peeves of language. People here in UK swap 'borrowed' and 'lend'.

'They say, can I lend your pen please.'

They also say,

'That will learn you' instead of, 'That will teach you'

Drives me insane.

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never heard it here, thank God.

We should start another thread about the pet peeves of language. People here in UK swap 'borrowed' and 'lend'.

'They say, can I lend your pen please.'

They also say,

'That will learn you' instead of, 'That will teach you'

Drives me insane.

I've grown up and lived in London all my life and I can honestly say I've NEVER heard either of those. Not saying people don't say them but if they do it's news to me.

Anyone who says either of those (particularly the second one) is a bit of a numpty.