I hate commercials

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I was twelve units away from a BFA at a state university when I dropped out to take care of my newborn daughter at the time, but my underlying reason was that I had become disenchanted with the fine arts and my hairloss was really beginning to show at that time too, which made it very difficult for me to step foot on campus. I have decided that a career in painting would not be very lucrative, so I have changed my major to digital media which entails drawing (my core skill), graphic arts and 2&3d animation. I am still unsure of how I will apply these skill sets but I'm sure there are many opportunities out there. What do you do, besides being a doctor that is?
As far as HP is concerned, I'm not sure if anyone really reached him. Everyone knows how hard it was to convince him otherwise of what he had already conditioned himself to believe. But maybe he took something positive away from his experience or at least I would hope so.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think my other part time job is playing a psychologist in a hairloss forum. :mrgreen:

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I hate the commerical for bosleys hair restoration. Always plays while i'm working it goes " I didn't even notice you were losing your hair" and something like "theres no pink elephant in the room". f*** puts me in a bad mood :badmood:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Pink elephants? Are you huffing ether?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Just saw another commercial that disses the bald guy for LasVegas.com. It takes place in a hair salon and everything is going wrong and blowing up and sh it. The receptionist is watching all of this, then a bald guy walks in with a pair of scissors and says,"I'm here for the stylists position.". She walks out of the place and looks back at the bald guy like, "Are you f*****g crazy?".

s.a.f

Reaction score
Did'nt you know Bald people cant cut hair. Like no short people can play basketball, and all chefs have to be fat is'nt it obvious? :dunno:

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't mind a little balding humor. That German commercial was pretty funny actually. What I don't like are the Bosley commercials that call you out in front of everyone else who may be watching.

I mean one of their commercials actually has a beginning with an announcer and flashing red words that say "ATTENTION MEN WITH BALD OR THINNING HAIR"

thanks bosley, now i'm bright red.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I'm so glad we don't have commercials like that in the UK, we get them in the newspaper but the only hairloss commercial i've seen in Britain is for rogaine.

Unfortunately, the bald man is a legitimate target to insult or use as a fall guy.

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
Captain Obvious said:
I don't mind a little balding humor. That German commercial was pretty funny actually. What I don't like are the Bosley commercials that call you out in front of everyone else who may be watching.

I mean one of their commercials actually has a beginning with an announcer and flashing red words that say "ATTENTION MEN WITH BALD OR THINNING HAIR"

thanks bosley, now i'm bright red.

Yes if I'm in a room with people and that comes on I feel like crawling under a rock. It has stopped me mid sentence and made things uncomfortable for everyone in the room and actually its dead silent until the commercial ends. The rogaine commercials aren't nearly as bad.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
The thing about those Bosely infomercials and Rogaine commercials is that it gives the general public this false assumption that hair loss is easily reversable, thus making it our fault for not doing something about it. If they only knew.

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
^^ Actually when I was in my teens, during the pre-balding years, I thought it actually was that easy to keep your hair. I didn't know I was going to go bald so I remember watching those commercials and I would think to myself "Well if I ever do happen to go bald there is rogain". Little did I know how futile it actually is.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah, thats true you do get people joining this (and other) sites expecting to be told about a miracle shampoo that reverses baldness and is 100% garanteed.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing about those Bosely infomercials and Rogaine commercials is that it gives the general public this false assumption that hair loss is easily reversable, thus making it our fault for not doing something about it. If they only knew.

Indeed. I overheard a female once say "why don't bald guys just use Rogaine and get their hair back?" Oh, is it that easy? What a b**ch.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yes, there is nothing discrete about hair loss.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I saw a frosted mini wheat commercial where this computer animated mini wheat character was walking on top a cubicle wall alongside a bald, white business man around my age, complimenting him on the meeting they just came out of where he spotted a million dollar accounting error. This little mini wheat was giving him props and there was nothing negative about it. This was one of the very few commercials where I have seen a bald guy who wasn't 68 years old and wasn't getting ripped on for being bald. Thank you frosted mini wheat.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Thank you for reviving this thread, dudemon. These discriminatory commercials are out there and if you see one you should describe it on this thread. :agree:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
In a commercial for head and shoulders, the narrator says,"Beautiful hair is respected and admired around the world, but where does beatiful hair come from? It starts at the scalp."Getting back to the inference issue. They infer that bald people are not respected, because they don't take care of their scalp. Another misconception perpetuated by the media.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I HATE those stupid f*****g Head and Shoulders commercials. I see it and right away I change the channel. And the original commercial that you were talking about with the "just a touch of grey" bothers the sh*t out of me. All those guys are 45+ and they have better hair than I had at 17. f*** them.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
This was one of the very few commercials where I have seen a bald guy who wasn't 68 years old and wasn't getting ripped on for being bald. Thank you frosted mini wheat.

Wierd. Here in the UK I can't recall any adverts where bald people are made fun of (Not to say that there aren't any)