Last night I realised what hurts...

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":pz2t9tyw]Sounds like grandpa could use a "bring your shotgun to work" day. :firing:
Yeah that scenario has been mentioned before.

qball01 said:
question...how does "Grandad" keep his hair? Cuz yeah...I can imagine that an unconfident, 30 year old Norwood 6 with his hair somewhat grown out around the sides would attract jokes, especially if he reacts like you say he does. But I imagine that if he fit the typical "bald bad-***" role with a shaved head and a good body (which btw, really isnt such a horrible role to have to try and fit IMO) likely wouldn't face the same disrespect/scrutiny..especially if he was a cool guy to begin with...but then again, maybe not...some people really are just assholes.

Yes grandad does keep it longer than most NW6's ie about a grade 3. But why should he be forced to be a badass, just to conform to societies predjudices? I'm sure that he's not just an a**hole he's just frustrated and been ground down by the piss taking.[/quote:pz2t9tyw]

lol you got it mixed up...I was saying the people who make fun of him are assholes, but that MAYBE they'd lighten up if he shaved it...or maybe not because "some people are just assholes..." As for "grandpa" I feel really bad hearing a story like that because hes probably a nice/good guy who catches flack because hes a pushover. Ultimately I think that the reason he gets made fun of isn't BECAUSE of his baldness but because they sense he is weaker and they use his most obvious "perceived" flaw (baldness) as their main subject of jokes. Its the same way that some fat people are teased mercilessly while others (usually the ones who make fun of themselves for being fat) arent because theyre fun to be around.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
But seriously SAF, doesn't your work have some sort of rule against such malicious behavior in the workplace? It's harassment plain and simple, not to mention counter-productive. It IS unjust and I can only see it backfiring. Everyone hates the bald guy so instead of teaching their employees a little sensitivity training, they instead decide that bald guys don't "work well" at their company and avoid hiring them all together because of the inevitable conflicts. They bend to the status quo, no matter how wrong it is. This reminds me of Dudemons story about failing a big group assignment in class because nobody wanted him in their group. So basically the teacher failed him because he was unpopular. Where are the ethics, I ask?

Actually the worst offender is the shift superviser. (who's himself nearly a NW3) Some might call it harrasment at our place they'd just call this banter.

qball01 said:
lol you got it mixed up...I was saying the people who make fun of him are assholes, but that MAYBE they'd lighten up if he shaved it...or maybe not because "some people are just assholes..." As for "grandpa" I feel really bad hearing a story like that because hes probably a nice/good guy who catches flack because hes a pushover. Ultimately I think that the reason he gets made fun of isn't BECAUSE of his baldness but because they sense he is weaker and they use his most obvious "perceived" flaw (baldness) as their main subject of jokes. Its the same way that some fat people are teased mercilessly while others (usually the ones who make fun of themselves for being fat) arent because theyre fun to be around.

Thats true grandad is an easy target, and thats why the guy who is a 25 yr old NW3 gets away with making fun out of him because although he's balding also he's more of a macho guy and has the popularity, confidence to handle any critisism where as grandad is a loser who has no comeback.
Interestingly enough there are a few fat guys at work who never get any abuse about it because society has deemed that fatism is above personal abuse almost akin to racism. And if grandad did try to claim harrasment as UCman suggested above it just would'nt be taken seriously and he'd end up looking like a whiney baby for not just taking it like a man.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people view balding as a disease or a sign that someone isn't in good health. Bullsh*t.
male pattern baldness has nothing to do with being ill or not taking care of yourself. You can be the healthiest person in the world but if genetics aren't in your favor, you'll still end up with a shiny dome. It's true that some forms of alopecia can be caused by illness, but for the majority of us who are shedding our hair, it's been hardwired into our genetic code. I don't know what the point of losing hair would be, but for some reason a lot of us guys are simply programmed for it. We can't even really relate it to aging because a lot of people begin losing their hair when they are very young. There's just a stigma attached to balding that is based on ignorance. Okay, so most guys look better with hair. Duh. It's all about the visual.
The way a person looks greatly determines what we think of them. That's why good looking people can get away with all sorts of stuff that average or not so attractive people can't. That is the reason women fall for the handsome guy who treats them like dirt while ignoring the average Joe who would probably kiss the ground they walk on.
We don't live in a "take me as I am" world, unfortunately.
People will ridicule others just hide their own insecurities, or in some cases, because they enjoy being cruel. My solution is simply not to put up with it. If someone decides to make a smartass comment about my hair, they better hope they're perfect. If not, I'm going to push evey button they have.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
thetodd said:
I think a lot of people view balding as a disease or a sign that someone isn't in good health. Bullsh*t.

A couple hundred years ago, I think there was some element of truth that baldness was associated with severe health problems. It was due times of severe famine - such as the Irish potato famine for example, when people literally starved to death from malnutrition. That caused hairloss, and has been carried through the generations - as male pattern baldness. Ever wonder why Ireland has a VERY high percentage of bald men - much higher that the normal percentage of most other countries? That's why.

But, some ethnic groups are more predisposed to this type of thing than others, whose "hair genes" are more susceptible. If you look at the Latin American cultures, for example, they've had lots of famines, but baldness has always been a lot less common in those cultures.

Although, I doubt this can be scientifically proven. But I do remember reading about all of this somewhere that - baldness can be correlated with some types of disease and poor health of centuries past. Before that, you had plagues - such as the Bubonic plague, etc...

But, for our generations, there is little to zero correlation with disease and being bald. But, I don't think that was true for many, many previous generations ago. I'd bet that some of us ARE bald today because of what our ancestors went through 100's (or 1,000's) of years ago.

No offense Dude but unless you're having alaugh here thats the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. :shock:
M.p.b related to the Irish potato famine? :shock:
Barring the edge from U2 I would have to say that Irish people are known for having some of the best heads of hair in the world. Infact theres even a saying that they get their thick black hair from all the Guiness they drink.

Genetics are determined not over a few generations but more like over 100's of generations or many 1000's of years.
For you're theory to be true a family would have to have starved/been ill continously for centuries for their genetics to alter to adapt. You only have to go back to WW2 to see that many prisoners from concentration camps and Japanese labour camps starved to death with full heads of hair.

barcafan

Reaction score
dudemon said:
thetodd said:

A couple hundred years ago, I think there was some element of truth that baldness was associated with severe health problems. It was due times of severe famine - such as the Irish potato famine for example, when people literally starved to death from malnutrition. That caused hairloss, and has been carried through the generations - as male pattern baldness. Ever wonder why Ireland has a VERY high percentage of bald men - much higher that the normal percentage of most other countries? That's why.

But, some ethnic groups are more predisposed to this type of thing than others, whose "hair genes" are more susceptible. If you look at the Latin American cultures, for example, they've had lots of famines, but baldness has always been a lot less common in those cultures.

Although, I doubt this can be scientifically proven. But I do remember reading about all of this somewhere that - baldness can be correlated with some types of disease and poor health of centuries past. Before that, you had plagues - such as the Bubonic plague, etc...

But, for our generations, there is little to zero correlation with disease and being bald. But, I don't think that was true for many, many previous generations ago. I'd bet that some of us ARE bald today because of what our ancestors went through 100's (or 1,000's) of years ago.

Sorry man, but that's a crock.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Infact theres even a saying that they get their thick black hair from all the Guiness they drink.
Sorry SAF, but that just as easily sounds like bull as well.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
[quote="s.a.f":12c02lrs]Infact theres even a saying that they get their thick black hair from all the Guiness they drink.
Sorry SAF, but that just as easily sounds like bull as well.[/quote:12c02lrs]

Obviously its said as a joke not a scientific theory but it is said.

dudemon said:
There is a region in Ireland, where there is a high concentration of dark hair. This is becuase that is the region that the Romans invaded, conquered, and settled during the times of the Roman Empire - approx 500 A.D. The hair comes from the Romans - along with the "Roman nose." The you have red hair, that of course, comes from the Vikings.

Ireland is part of my ancestry, along with Scotland, Wales, and England. All the folks in my genepool have either dark, blond or red hair, including me. My hair has a "reddish" tinge to it - but now it's turning grey.

But, I've been told that Irish men also have some of worst heads of hair in the world as well - particularly BALD.

Have either of you guys ever actually been to Ireland? I guess the Roman region missed out on the whole potato famine thing. :whistle: Colin Farrrell, Pierce Brosnan, Gabriel Bryne, Jonothan Rhyess myers ...

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe best to point it out straight away liek you're completely comfortable with it, life goes on etc?

CCS

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Bald vindication. I like it. What is your take on the obligation for bald men to excel in other areas of their life (body, money, etc) to counter the assumption that bald guys are inferior to full heads?

Baldness is not the only physical flaw out there some people have to deal with, genetically. Sure is one of the biggest though. But I know some people who just don't have an attractive face. Below average looking actually, even though they are in shape. Watch the movie Taledaga Nights. Funny as hell, but I'm so glad I don't have either of their faces.

GNUist (formerly FC)

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
HatPrisoner91 said:
A good comeback at that point, which I would use, is that anytime I want to, I could make him a cripple and he couldn't stop me. I would wonder what his comeback to that one would be hah.

Hmm, unfortunatley grandad probably could'nt make this guy a cripple. And one of the things about grandad is that for some 'unknown' :whistle: reason he is a highly frustrated guy and seems to have a short fuse. They wind him up because they know its easy to get a reaction, which to them is entertaining.

Ps No grandad is'nt me.

Why doesn't Grand-Dad just tell the boss and get that a**h** fired?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
What baffles me is somehow being fat is immune to ridicule while being bald is fair game. It should be the other way around. f*** this upside down world!

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
What baffles me is somehow being fat is immune to ridicule while being bald is fair game. It should be the other way around. f*ck this upside down world!

thats not true at all...some fat people get made fun of to no end....I'm sure theres a lot of really fat people who wish they could be in shape and bald rather than fat with hair....the fact is, some people will make fun of others for anything...baldness is just another one of those things. People don't look at those who are bald as lesser or inferior in my opinion, its just another trait that is not quite in the norm that gets made fun of by some people...especially by those who are bald in the middle and keep the rest of their hair fairly long, or try to comb it over, because it just doesn't quite look right. Ultimately though, I really think its no different from somebody being really fat, having big ears or a Tucan Sam nose, being short, etc. It may attract jokes from time to time...but other people really don't INTEND on being malicious...the reason is...THEY DON'T CARE THAT MUCH! People who think the world is out to ridicule them due to baldness (or any other physcial trait for that matter) need to take a step back and realize that other people are usually way too occupied thinking about THEMSELVES to really give a sh*t that somebody else is bald.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
What baffles me is somehow being fat is immune to ridicule while being bald is fair game. It should be the other way around. f*ck this upside down world!

Maybe because more people are fat than bald and it effects both sexes? :dunno:

s.a.f

Reaction score
GNUist (formerly FC) said:
Why doesn't Grand-Dad just tell the boss and get that a**hole fired?

He would'nt be taken seriously, they'd just tell him to ignore them.
And can you image how embarrasing it would be for a 30 yr old man to go and say he's being picked on because of his bald head.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
qball01 said:
the fact is, some people will make fun of others for anything...baldness is just another one of those things. People don't look at those who are bald as lesser or inferior
True, it is another one of those things but those that have no such physical traits DO think they are better that those who are afflicted. "Oh, at least I'm not this or that- I look good and am therefore above judgment." Seen it a million times. It is the animosity of human nature, everyone clawing their way to the top...stepping on those they think are beneath them. Like an nw3 who looks at a seven and says "Boy, I'm glad I'm not that guy." Like I said, happens all the time.
qball01 said:
other people really don't INTEND on being malicious...the reason is...THEY DON'T CARE THAT MUCH! People who think the world is out to ridicule them due to baldness (or any other physcial trait for that matter) need to take a step back and realize that other people are usually way too occupied thinking about THEMSELVES to really give a sh*t that somebody else is bald.
Yes, they intend on being malicious and the few that haven't thankfully realized they were overstepping their bounds by commenting on my baldness and apologized. If not malicious, then just plain stupid. Like a guy who walks up to a woman with huge tits and says,"Wow lady, you have huge tits!" It may be true but how rude is that person for pointing it out? People are stupid and insensitive to things that they can not relate to or sympathize with, just clueless. You would know this if you were bald. I can't tell you how many well meaning people put their foot in their mouths by trying to break the ice by making a crack at my bald head (and those are the well meaning ones). Then there are the assholes who enjoy making others feel inferior by pointing out there flaws. Not just guys too, but women- good looking ones at that. They may not care about you, but they care enough to point it out and make an issue of it. What is the killer is that I am stuck in this body with this bald head. I can't take a vacation from it. I can't step outside of my own experience. I will always be like this and it is the accumulation of all my bad experiences that have shaped my perspective so although that uncomfortable or humiliating moment only last a matter of seconds, there will always be another crooked look or comment to absorb coming right around the corner. I'm telling you, it is exhausting.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
When it comes to what's worse, being bald or fat, I've had the unfortunate experience of being both. After a car accident a few years ago I was unable to walk for several months. During that time I was popping pain killers like M&M's, and those things increased my appetite. I ate like a pig and couldn't exercise to get rid of the excess calories. The results was that I gained nearly seventy pounds. Once I was able to get up and walk freely again, I couldn't stand the extra poundage. So I exercised every day and went back to eating a proper diet. Within less than three months, I had dropped most of the weight I had gained.
Now, when it comes to losing my hair it's a far different story.
I had done nothing wrong to cause my hair loss in the first place, so there was no behavior to correct that by doing so would restore my lost locks. My efforts to stop my hair loss and get some of it back have been numerous and long going.
For half a year now I've been using minoxidil, propecia, and nizoral. My hair loss has definitely slowed down and maybe a little has grown back, but I sometimes wonder if the small improvements I think I've seen are worth it.
To sum it up, most people who are overweight can fix their problem with exercise and a change in their eating habits. That's not to say it's easy for all of them because some people are genetically predisposed to having a few extra pounds. They CAN improve it, however. And lets be honest, unless you've got some genetic disorder, you have probably brought on your own problems by eating too much and not getting enough exercise. People who lose their hair didn't do anything to cause it unless being the victim of an unfortunate roll of the genetic dice is considered a less than good behavior. And the kicker is that we shiny domes can do everything possible to correct the problem with minimal or no positive outcome.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of men fear balding so they talk about it in groups. My friends often talk about what they'd do if they started losing their hair. Most of them say they'd get transplants, some say they'd shave it all off. Maybe seeing my shaved head shakes them up inside, and they fear they'll suffer the same fate.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
What fate is that? Having a full head of hair and choosing to keep it short? That fate? :shakehead: Why is everyone so scarred of going bald? Maybe because they know that if they do they will become social pariahs. :dunno:

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
All bald men are not social pariahs....YOU are a social pariah who happens to be bald. Many bald men are well-liked, popular and funny. Please stop making it seem like all bald men share your fate....

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
No one wants to go bald. The unfortunate ones who do have no choice but to live with it and eventually accept it. That is unless you have the money to get hair replacement surgery...and those are considered by many to be last resorts. If balding weren't perceived as such a negative thing, then how come so many people flock to this site to learn about treatment to keep themselves from going bald? How come bald men are usually the butt of the joke in commercials and villains in movies? Yeah, I'm sure there are many people out there that lead great lives despite baldness, but deep down I don't believe any of them are really happy about it and I'm absolutely positive that if given the chance to get their hair back...100% would make being bald a thing of the past. I lost my hair real early. There is something to be said for practically having a horseshoe at 24. I don't think there are many people who can willingly accept that and not feel some sort of hit to their self-esteem. To answer your question, I don't want to speak in absolutes but I think it is pretty obvious that most guys who go bald as young as I do and younger DO feel exactly the same way I do about it. Your in denial if YOU can't admit that there is a negative stigma associated with hair loss and going bald.