Last night I realised what hurts...

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
qball01 said:
All bald men are not social pariahs....YOU are a social pariah who happens to be bald. Many bald men are well-liked, popular and funny. Please stop making it seem like all bald men share your fate....

So are you telling me that EVERYONE can carry the bald look well? Do you want to compare Clint Howard to Jason Statham?

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
No one wants to go bald. The unfortunate ones who do have no choice but to live with it and eventually accept it. That is unless you have the money to get hair replacement surgery...and those are considered by many to be last resorts. If balding weren't perceived as such a negative thing, then how come so many people flock to this site to learn about treatment to keep themselves from going bald? How come bald men are usually the butt of the joke in commercials and villains in movies? Yeah, I'm sure there are many people out there that lead great lives despite baldness, but deep down I don't believe any of them are really happy about it and I'm absolutely positive that if given the chance to get their hair back...100% would make being bald a thing of the past. I lost my hair real early. There is something to be said for practically having a horseshoe at 24. I don't think there are many people who can willingly accept that and not feel some sort of hit to their self-esteem. To answer your question, I don't want to speak in absolutes but I think it is pretty obvious that most guys who go bald as young as I do and younger DO feel exactly the same way I do about it. Your in denial if YOU can't admit that there is a negative stigma associated with hair loss and going bald.

Uman, as much as i share and empathisize with your darkened take on the reality of our situation - it is a really individual matter. Each one of us has to go through our own personal conflct with it. Some of us may look better bald, some of us may take and accept it better mentally. If you are fit and healthy, have good style, and a good attitude to life, good skin etc and take care of yourself, then baldness can never be that bad unless you are really ugly.

On a more depressing note, the other night I was wearing a beanie on my head. I had come back from somewhere and stopped of at a local bar to chat to people I knew..anyway low and behold this girl that I liked came out..I wasnt expecting her to be there at all. Anyway at this time i had my hat of, and i knew I must have looked disgusting - as i feel disgusted by the way i look in the mirror sometimes no matter what others say- i had very low confidence around her and she could really sense it..ahh jeez..

I really am a mass of contradictions.. I wonder whether I will ever get to a stage where I no longer need to have to think about accepting it or whatever, I want to just get over it and let it be, but just like having a missing limb, or a massive disfiguration, no matter how much you try and accept it, it will always be there, it takes points of your attractiveness and confidence and lowers your self esteem. I can only try and do things that I feel will be benefical in the long term for my health and happiness and hope that the future isn't as bad as it looks for some baldies. NW1s..practically look perfect..they dont need to think about improving other areas of their life..they may not be amazing looking - but to be nw1, that means to be a full human, a perfect specimen. God i wish I was nw1.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
qball01 said:
All bald men are not social pariahs....YOU are a social pariah who happens to be bald. Many bald men are well-liked, popular and funny. Please stop making it seem like all bald men share your fate....

So are you telling me that EVERYONE can carry the bald look well? Do you want to compare Clint Howard to Jason Statham?

not at all...but I am saying that there are people out there who don't look much better than Clint Howard who are popular, well liked and respected...I DO agree that its much easier if you carry off the bald look like Statham, Ami James, Daughtry, etc. But there are still many bald people, ones who don't look physically appealing who are still well respected because of how they act...

cuebald

Reaction score
The popular, funny well-liked bald man is the male equivalent of the popular, funny, well-liked obese woman.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
The popular, funny well-liked bald man is the male equivalent of the popular, funny, well-liked obese woman.

Wrong, the popular well liked baldy gets chicks in bed, the obese woman is less sexually fulfilled.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hope4hairRedux said:
uncomfortable man said:
I really am a mass of contradictions.. I wonder whether I will ever get to a stage where I no longer need to have to think about accepting it or whatever, I want to just get over it and let it be, but just like having a missing limb, or a massive disfiguration, no matter how much you try and accept it, it will always be there, it takes points of your attractiveness and confidence and lowers your self esteem. I can only try and do things that I feel will be benefical in the long term for my health and happiness and hope that the future isn't as bad as it looks for some baldies. NW1s..practically look perfect..they dont need to think about improving other areas of their life..they may not be amazing looking - but to be nw1, that means to be a full human, a perfect specimen. God i wish I was nw1.

What Norwood are you?

Well, I am a NW1 diffusing into a NW2. IT has knocked my self-esteem in terms of being unable to style my hair how I used too, but aside from that it isn't that grim....most people can't even notice, and have complimented my hair from time to time. But yeah styling CAN be a pain!

Plus yeah even if your recession is bad:

http://www.hairstylesall.com/Jude-Law-Hairstyle.htm

With good styling like jude law has done, you can make it look awesome.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
cuebald said:

Wrong, the popular well liked baldy gets chicks in bed, the obese woman is less sexually fulfilled.
Wrong again. It's easier for the fat chick to get laid because there will always be those guys who are desperate enough to settle down with a fat chick for the night because they know she will put out. This is the same reason black guys love themselves some fat white chicks with low self-esteem. Women (even fat ones) hold the power when it comes to giving out the sex...which leaves the bald man at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to getting that "permission" from a woman who can choose whoever she wants, including a room full of nw1's.
cuebald said:
Right, women hate bald guys like guys hate fat chicks. That is why you see bald guys with fat chicks all the time because each one knows that they can't do any better, so they settle with each other. Love has nothing to do with it....if it did then you would be seeing 2's with 9's, 7's with 1's and so on. Bald guys will have to work harder and jump through more hoops to earn that same respect that is just given to nw1's without question...although it is not the same or equal because they will never look at the bald guy in the same favorable light as that guy with the full head of hair. They will say that the bald guy is a great guy and a good person but they will never think of him in "that" way...as being a desirable man.
@ oknow, at least Norwood 2, 3s have options and still have enough hair on top of their heads to not pass for bald (which makes a HUGE difference), while bald people's only practical option is to shave it all off and only a few people can make it work. Far less than that if you are white.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
@ oknow, at least Norwood 2, 3s have options and still have enough hair on top of their heads to not pass for bald (which makes a HUGE difference), while bald people's only practical option is to shave it all off and only a few people can make it work. Far less than that if you are white.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously can see where you are coming from and I totally sympathize. My brother is like a NW6 now and without hair he looks terrible. Luckily for him, he is married to a hot wife (met her before he balded), has kids etc etc. And don't get me wrong, if I balded badly I would probably look equally sh*t too. With the recession I have now, even though it is slight, it is hard to find a hairstyle to frame my face with for example.

Saying that, couldn't you work on your body to overcompensate? Bald but with a good body is killer. Plus you can always grow a bit of facial hair and I think confidence does help. I know so many guys that have gone down this route and do get hit on. You even get guys out there buzzing their head for the style.

At that stage, frankly put aside from embracing it - there is just nothing you can do.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Oknow said:
there is just nothing you can do.
And therein lies the tragedy and the cause of my perpetual sorrow.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Oknow said:

Sure. But try not to be so hard on yourself, a girl I am chasing right now is with a guy that is not only ugly, but also BALD!...and yet she is still with him despite my advances. That for me was living proof that hair is not as important as you may think it is...at worse the dating game just gets harder. Which means you have to approach twice as many women to get the one you want. Which isn't a bad thing, if it turns out to bring you happiness.

barcafan

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Oknow said:

You sound like a nice guy why do people keep talking sh*t to you man? Do your friends also rag on you

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
qball01 said:
not at all...but I am saying that there are people out there who don't look much better than Clint Howard who are popular, well liked and respected...I DO agree that its much easier if you carry off the bald look like Statham, Ami James, Daughtry, etc. But there are still many bald people, ones who don't look physically appealing who are still well respected because of how they act...

I don't see it that way. I"m not horrifically ugly. I'm in pretty good shape. I'm tall. I just have no hair. I'm very close to a Norwood 7 now, if not already there. Having very thin hair on top is even better than having nothing. I just see shiny head in the mirror.

Point being is that some people look better bald, some people look better with long hair, some people look better with certain things. You can't force someone to look good. I'm trying to move past it but I have realized that I will never be ok with it. Not even close. I would give anytthing to even be a Norwood 3 or 4 at this point. And I'll never have the money to do that even if possible. So "how I act" is how I feel. I could pretend it doesn't kill me but I'm not a fake person so not happening.

And yes, I know there is nothing I can do about it. But there is no way to force myself to be ok with something I"m not ok with either.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
And yes, I know there is nothing I can do about it. But there is no way to force myself to be ok with something I"m not ok with either.
Well said HP, thanks. :agree:
barcafan said:
uncomfortable man said:
Oknow said:

You sound like a nice guy why do people keep talking sh*t to you man? Do your friends also rag on you
No, you know that I wouldn't be friends with anyone who would do that. I have two friends really, but they usually never see me without the hat because all their friends and aquaintances are younger and in the scene and I don't dare walk around those people exposed and become a target. With a hat on, I look like one of them. Being different is just too much to deal with most of the time for me.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
No, you know that I wouldn't be friends with anyone who would do that. I have two friends really, but they usually never see me without the hat because all their friends and aquaintances are younger and in the scene and I don't dare walk around those people exposed and become a target. With a hat on, I look like one of them. Being different is just too much to deal with most of the time for me.

I know the feeling. At the point I am at now, your NW5 would be better than how I feel. I"m seriously going into NW7 category at this point.

Plus, my head is REALLY oily and shiny since I sweat so much. Ugh.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
the shiny, oily head is the one real unappealing aspect IMO about having a bald head....fortunately there are methods/products that dramatically reduce the shine

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You could use a product called Matte. It takes the shine off but that is in the event you don't actually wear a hat HP. Someone in another thread posted a link to a head tatooing company called Headsylz, I know it sounds cheesy and they only have one model on the web page. His hairline looks a little stenciled in but that could be avoided by making the stipple a little more diffuse around the edge of the hairline- I think that would look more natural and undetectable. I sent them an email and if they have a place in my area or close enough I might just go down for a consult. :)

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
qball01 said:
the shiny, oily head is the one real unappealing aspect IMO about having a bald head....fortunately there are methods/products that dramatically reduce the shine

Been trying that. No help. I sweat a lot so that makes it worse. What products were you thinking?

I tried Pure Aloe Vera and it didnt work.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
You could use a product called Matte. It takes the shine off but that is in the event you don't actually wear a hat HP. Someone in another thread posted a link to a head tatooing company called Headsylz, I know it sounds cheesy and they only have one model on the web page. His hairline looks a little stenciled in but that could be avoided by making the stipple a little more diffuse around the edge of the hairline- I think that would look more natural and undetectable. I sent them an email and if they have a place in my area or close enough I might just go down for a consult. :)

I look into the Matte but head tattooing is silly in my opinion. Not fooling anyone. I mean I am so far gone with hairloss, its not mixed in with anything.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
IDK HP, I'll let you know if it seems like a viable solution after I have done some due diligence and research into this tattooing business. If it can look good for up to ten years then f*** it I'm in. It will likely force me into a piece down the road but I'll cross that bridge. I just can't wait for HM, that is all I know. You only live once and you need to do whatever is necessary to accomplish that goal. No matter how trivial it may seem to other people. Maybe if there are no reasonable risks, you might join me and we can hold hands while they tattoo our heads. Ouch in a :gay: way! Sorry for the visual ha ha ha!