New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctulhu

Reaction score
So I'm in on this. I did it for the first time last week, and I have a couple questions. I'm sure they've been asked a 100 times already, but unfortunately I don't have the time to read a almost 300 page thread :(

- How long should I do it? I'm rolling hard, the pain is noticeable but bearable. I'm definitly getting in deep, and my scalp has had some bleeding all over. Is this too much, enough, or too little?

- When preparing and cleaning the roller afterwards I wash it with hot water, then soak it in isopropanol 70% for about 10 minutes each. Is this ok, or unhygienic?

- Do I need to replace the roller after a certain amount of applications? If yes, how many?

Thanks in advance!

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm in on this. I did it for the first time last week, and I have a couple questions. I'm sure they've been asked a 100 times already, but unfortunately I don't have the time to read a almost 300 page thread :(

- How long should I do it? I'm rolling hard, the pain is noticeable but bearable. I'm definitly getting in deep, and my scalp has had some bleeding all over. Is this too much, enough, or too little?

- When preparing and cleaning the roller afterwards I wash it with hot water, then soak it in isopropanol 70% for about 10 minutes each. Is this ok, or unhygienic?

- Do I need to replace the roller after a certain amount of applications? If yes, how many?

Thanks in advance!

I think there really needs to be a stickie up for this. maybe 2young2retire could do it since he says hes been getting good results and seems amped.
If not here then maybe somehwere else and just post a link in his sig. Id be happy to create a page on my garbage blog for him to use. I plan on creating a page anyway for my documenting with pics.

From what I have gathered get a 1.5mm roller and go hard, you need to bleed. DO NOT use nizoral or minoxidil for 24 hours after.
Do it no more than once a week and let it fully heal between.
Mine should be in today so ctulhu (nice name) maybe me and you can start this at the same time for the most part and share results and tips.
Your cleaning is fine
replace it when it breaks or perhaps if its dulling to the point where you are pushing harder than before. Take into consideration (not here but just my personal opinion from getting tattos) healed tissue will always heal tougher so in time you will always start to have to push harder.
The rollers I have all seen are titanium and that does not dull easily.

Wiggle

Reaction score
Whats the rationale on not using minoxidil right after? Is it due to risk of getting it in your blood? It seems like a great chance to ensure a high absorption.

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats the rationale on not using minoxidil right after? Is it due to risk of getting it in your blood? It seems like a great chance to ensure a high absorption.

absorbtion is like 10000x with Dermaroller. with 1,5mm its even more i guess. Putting minoxidil directly after rolling can result in a heavy heart beating.I dont recommend it

TMNK

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there really needs to be a stickie up for this. maybe 2young2retire could do it since he says hes been getting good results and seems amped.
If not here then maybe somehwere else and just post a link in his sig. Id be happy to create a page on my garbage blog for him to use. I plan on creating a page anyway for my documenting with pics.

From what I have gathered get a 1.5mm roller and go hard, you need to bleed. DO NOT use nizoral or minoxidil for 24 hours after.
Mine should be in today so ctulhu (nice name) maybe me and you can start this at the same time for the most part and share results and tips.
Your cleaning is fine
replace it when it breaks or perhaps if its dulling to the point where you are pushing harder than before. Take into consideration (not here but just my personal opinion from getting tattos) healed tissue will always heal tougher so in time you will always start to have to push harder.

I'm starting this sunday too, so it's nice to follow fellow guys starting the same time.

jasperhobbs

Reaction score
I just ordered a Dermaroller titanium 1.0. I wasn't sure what size to get as it seems many are using different needle lengths. Thought 1.0 would be a good start. Jasper

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
amped? i am bitstreaming dolby true hd on my galea, lol. yes nice idea. cant wait for month to pass so i take new pics :):):):)

Your cleaning is fine

BeliefISKEY

Established Member
Reaction score
hair transplant creates new vascularity as well.... There's no point. I would recommend loosening your Galea up so those implanted hairs can survive.

MY REAL ADVICE THOUGH: DON'T GET A HAIR TRANSPLANT!

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
hair transplant creates new vascularity as well.... There's no point. I would recommend loosening your Galea up so those implanted hairs can survive.

Really I just want my temples filled back in really. I miss my hair line

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score

curious why you say that, if you can get some hair with dermarolling why not fill in the gaps?

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been following this thread for some time and would like to thank Squeegee, Princess Rambo, Casper, Jason, 2Young and all others that have made significant contributions to this thread! Without your dedication and hard work this thread would not be close to where it is, not just in length, but in quality of information and resources.

I'm sure there are many other lurkers out there with ideas, results and feedback that many of us would appreciate and benefit from- so don't be shy, it only takes a minute to register.

I have been micro-needling for 3 months now at weekly intervals with a 192 needle roller. I have been as consistent as possible, but have switched it up and tried different things throughout the course of the past 3 months. When I first started, I was using emu oil and black castor oil within an hour or two of rolling. I actually think that I did see some positive progress during this time period, but wanted to switch it up and see what the peeling effect would do.

Over the past 2 weeks I have switched to a 592 (500-something?) needle roller. What caught me off guard was that the 192 was actually thicker and covered more ground, albeit with less needles.

My methodology has been to slowly roll back and forth while little by little increasing the pressure until all needles are all the way in and go back and forth pressing down at full strength a few times. This would result in a lot more than 5 passes but I have not been able to go all the way in at first without doing this, even with 5% lidocaine numbing cream over the last 4 sessions.

Over the last 2 sessions I have added retin-a before (along with the numbing cream) and HLA after as I read somewhere on here that this is what the facial micro-needling community swears by.

I have recently started microneedling lightly every day for better topical absorption with a .5MM (don't go all the way in, and waiting on delivery of a .2MM). The past few days I have tried laser right after Micro-Needling lightly and then topical application. What would be everyone's though on that?

A few years ago I did have success with Minoxidil, S5, Hydrocortizone Cream, Essential Oil Mix and the Laser and somehow I have been told that my hair looks thicker after the laser- maybe my body just happens to be a responder to this? I also feel small bumps towards the base of my scalp the day after I laser so I guess it is doing its job in helping drain and clean out the guck from the scalp?

I also was not initially aware that the Micro-Needling was stopped in the study after 12 weeks. I am at 14 now, although I did take 3 weeks off a few months ago to give my scalp some time to heal fully.

I have just ordered about 5 different derma pens, stamps and rollers of varying sizes and needles (a few 1,000 needles at .2, 1.5 and 2.0).

Looking at the hair transplant video that was posted on here, it looks as though there is a 3-4 month recovery frame from the transplant and full results are not observed after a year of the transplant. If this operation (and it is an operation we are conducting on ourselves) calls for a 3 month trauma and blood-flow rush to our scalp- what would be the likelihood that we have induced all the holes, hair growth triggers and scalp remodeling necessary and the only thing we need to wait for, like the hair transplant, is the hair cycle to kick in?

I appreciate any feedback, thoughts or suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a numbing cream that actually works? Call me a b**ch but I cant handle the pain. Maybe I should get wasted?

a few beers helps but it still hurts, no pain no hair

- - - Updated - - -

from what I gather the from when the hair goes telogen and falls out there is roughly 100 days before you
can see any regrowth, there is your 3 months +, any shedding from treatments that happens is in the same time frame. am hoping rolling will help exhisting hairs be healthier and grow and not necessarily cause shedding, but from what I am experiencing it and/or the minoxidil does cause a lot of shedding. here is a hair cycle illustration I found

Attachments

• life_cycle_of_hair.jpg
    life_cycle_of_hair.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 318

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a numbing cream that actually works? Call me a b**ch but I cant handle the pain. Maybe I should get wasted?

NumFast works awesome. Thick coat wait few minutes, roll it.

- - - Updated - - -

a few beers helps but it still hurts, no pain no hair
That was my older tip!

- - - Updated - - -

Really I just want my temples filled back in really. I miss my hair line

You don't like your penis hairline?

- - - Updated - - -

:argue: **** hair transplant!

- - - Updated - - -

I have been following this thread for some time and would like to thank Squeegee, Princess Rambo, Casper, Jason, 2Young and all others that have made significant contributions to this thread! Without your dedication and hard work this thread would not be close to where it is, not just in length, but in quality of information and resources.

I'm sure there are many other lurkers out there with ideas, results and feedback that many of us would appreciate and benefit from- so don't be shy, it only takes a minute to register.

I have been micro-needling for 3 months now at weekly intervals with a 192 needle roller. I have been as consistent as possible, but have switched it up and tried different things throughout the course of the past 3 months. When I first started, I was using emu oil and black castor oil within an hour or two of rolling. I actually think that I did see some positive progress during this time period, but wanted to switch it up and see what the peeling effect would do.

Over the past 2 weeks I have switched to a 592 (500-something?) needle roller. What caught me off guard was that the 192 was actually thicker and covered more ground, albeit with less needles.

My methodology has been to slowly roll back and forth while little by little increasing the pressure until all needles are all the way in and go back and forth pressing down at full strength a few times. This would result in a lot more than 5 passes but I have not been able to go all the way in at first without doing this, even with 5% lidocaine numbing cream over the last 4 sessions.

Over the last 2 sessions I have added retin-a before (along with the numbing cream) and HLA after as I read somewhere on here that this is what the facial micro-needling community swears by.

I have recently started microneedling lightly every day for better topical absorption with a .5MM (don't go all the way in, and waiting on delivery of a .2MM). The past few days I have tried laser right after Micro-Needling lightly and then topical application. What would be everyone's though on that?

A few years ago I did have success with Minoxidil, S5, Hydrocortizone Cream, Essential Oil Mix and the Laser and somehow I have been told that my hair looks thicker after the laser- maybe my body just happens to be a responder to this? I also feel small bumps towards the base of my scalp the day after I laser so I guess it is doing its job in helping drain and clean out the guck from the scalp?

I also was not initially aware that the Micro-Needling was stopped in the study after 12 weeks. I am at 14 now, although I did take 3 weeks off a few months ago to give my scalp some time to heal fully.

I have just ordered about 5 different derma pens, stamps and rollers of varying sizes and needles (a few 1,000 needles at .2, 1.5 and 2.0).

Looking at the hair transplant video that was posted on here, it looks as though there is a 3-4 month recovery frame from the transplant and full results are not observed after a year of the transplant. If this operation (and it is an operation we are conducting on ourselves) calls for a 3 month trauma and blood-flow rush to our scalp- what would be the likelihood that we have induced all the holes, hair growth triggers and scalp remodeling necessary and the only thing we need to wait for, like the hair transplant, is the hair cycle to kick in?

Thanks.

First! Welcome aboard! The hair cycle takes forever to kick in that's for sure.. new micro vessels and epithelial lining formation.. The dermal papilla from the hair root is feed by the bloodstream..Also,derma roller is a progressive but safe treatment to hairloss.. so yeah it takes times but it works..

If you are in doubt.. read this thread.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact...eedling/page15

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact...eedling/page24

and yeah the hair transplant timeframe is a really good example!! 8-12 months to properly judge the treatment.. buy keywords are proper length 1.5mm + ,roll hard, bleed heavily, shed skin at least once a week with a good coverage.

[video=youtube;zdyTkIadqNo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdyTkIadqNo[/video]

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
L-Arginine - An important amino acid abundant in protamines and histones, these are proteins associated with nucleic acids. L-arginine is used by the immune system to help regulate the activity of the thymus gland, which is responsible for manufacturing T lymphocytes. (These are the T-cells, the basis of the immune system). In the pancreas it is used to release insulin. It is important in liver health and assists in neutralizing ammonia in the liver. It is also involved in the production of skin and connective tissue, making it important for the healing and repair of soft tissue, the formation of collagen and in the building of new bone and tendons.

It is helpful with weight control since it facilitates the increase of muscle mass, while reducing body fat. L-Arginine also creates nitric oxide in the human body (nitric oxide is one of the most essential substances which influence sexual function in both men and women), and helps to improve circulation. As a supplement, it is being utilized not only to increase HGH, has positive effects on heart disease symptoms, is a proven to boost muscle growth, improves wound healing, combats fatigue, stimulates the immune system, cure impotences, and fight cancer.

The effects of Arginine supplementation include increased fat burning and muscle building, enhanced immunity, and improving erectile function in men.

Arginine is in most 'natural v**** ' formulations.

Arginine appears to increase HGH levels by blocking the secretions of growth hormone inhibitor Somatostatin.

Arginine has been used by millions of athletes over the past 20 years to enhance production of HGH.

Arginine works even into old age, with one European study showing that it boosted blood levels of HGH to three times the level seen in their age group.

Vasodilation is a second valuable asset. Arginine’s effects in this area occur after enzymes transform it into nitric oxide ( not Nitrous Oxide! ) or NO, a messenger gas that travels easily from cell to cell.

Nitric Oxide is a compound that relaxes blood vessels, it helps keep arteries flexible and boosts blood flow.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
L-Lysine - An essential amino acid (a protein building block) that cannot be produced by the body from other nutrients. It helps ensure adequate absorption of calcium and the formation of collagen for bone, cartilage and connective tissue. Lysine strengthens circulation and helps the immune system manufacture antibodies. It also helps control the body's acid/alkaline balance, influences the pineal and mammary glands and plays a role in gallbladder function. It is necessary for all amino acid assimilation and assists in the storage of fats.

Lysine supplementation increases the absorption of calcium and may reduce its excretion. As a result, some researchers believe that lysine may eventually be shown to have a role in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.

Lysine works with other essential amino acids to maintain growth, lean body mass, and the body’s store of nitrogen.

Recently there has been a lot of buzz about L-Lysine's beneficial effect on androgenetic alopecia. It seems that taking L-Lysine helps to increase the efficacy of drugs like Propecia and Rogaine. Spencer Kobren has recently added this amino acid to his regimen and believes there is true benefit in the use of L-Lysine as an adjunct nutritional supplement in the fight against hair loss.

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
L-Glutamine - An amino acid (a protein building block) which is important along with glucose in supplying the brain with energy. L-glutamine has been used to help curb sugar and alcohol cravings, increase mental alertness, and to nutritionally boost the nervous system. It also has shown promise in the treatment of senility, depression and fatigue.

Scientific studies have shown that glutamine supplementation can minimize the breakdown of muscle tissue and improve protein metabolism. Its effects on replenishing the body after stress or trauma have been shown in Europe where it is commonly given to patients in hospitals. Glutamine's cell-volumizing effects have also been shown in several studies. A recent study showed up to a 400% increase in growth-hormone levels when a free-form L-glutamine supplement was consumed!

- - - Updated - - -

L-Glycine - The simplest amino acid found in the body. Many studies have found that this amino acid increased HGH in the serum. Glycine has also been found useful in increasing output in exercise workouts.

Found in high concentrations in the skin and connective tissues, it is useful for repairing damaged tissues and promoting healing. Glycine speeds the healing of wounds and is a major promoter of muscle growth and muscle development. Glycine is a factor in prostate health and plays a key roll in the development and quality of our skeletal muscles, tissues, and structural integrity. Glycine is an HGH releaser

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 22569new hairs come in slowly and they are strong like zondas. lol

if it keeps comming like that i will have a pagani hairline. lol/.

View attachment 22570

i am telling you all if hair comes back and stays i have it all. View attachment 22571

ahahhahahahahaha!:punk:

- - - Updated - - -

Thrombospondin-1 plays a critical role in the induction of hair follicle involution and vascular regression during the catagen phase.

Yano K, Brown LF, Lawler J, Miyakawa T, Detmar M.
Source

Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Abstract

Hair growth is associated with pronounced vascular-endothelial-growth-factor-induced perifollicular angiogenesis, whereas the catagen regression phase is characterized by apoptosis-driven blood vessel regression. The biologic relevance of endogenous inhibitors of angiogenesis in the control of hair cycling, however, has remained unknown. We studied the expression and biologic role of the angiogenesis inhibitor thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1) during the induced adult hair follicle cycle in wild-type, TSP-1 deficient, and TSP-1 overexpressing transgenic mice. TSP-1 expression was absent from hair bulb and dermal papilla cells during early to mid-anagen but was highly upregulated throughout the catagen involution phase. In TSP-1 deficient mice, the follicle growth phase was significantly prolonged, associated with increased perifollicular vascularization and vascular proliferation. Conversely, hair follicle growth was delayed in K14/TSP-1 transgenic mice that expressed high levels of TSP-1 in outer root sheath keratinocytes, associated with reduced perifollicular vascularization. These effects were most probably mediated via its antiangiogenic effects because TSP-1 did not affect the growth of cultured murine vibrissae in the absence of a functional vascular system. These results identify a critical role of TSP-1 in the induction of anagen follicle involution, with potential implications for the therapeutic modulation of hair follicle growth.

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Control of hair growth and follicle size by VEGF-mediated angiogenesis.[/h]Yano K, Brown LF, Detmar M.
[h=3]Source[/h]Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Building 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The murine hair follicle undergoes pronounced cyclic expansion and regression, leading to rapidly changing demands for its vascular support. Our study aimed to quantify the cyclic changes of perifollicular vascularization and to characterize the biological role of VEGF for hair growth, angiogenesis, and follicle cycling. We found a significant increase in perifollicular vascularization during the growth phase (anagen) of the hair cycle, followed by regression of angiogenic blood vessels during the involution (catagen) and the resting (telogen) phase. Perifollicular angiogenesis was temporally and spatially correlated with upregulation of VEGF mRNA expression by follicular keratinocytes of the outer root sheath, but not by dermal papilla cells. Transgenic overexpression of VEGF in outer root sheath keratinocytes of hair follicles strongly induced perifollicular vascularization, resulting in accelerated hair regrowth after depilation and in increased size of hair follicles and hair shafts. Conversely, systemic treatment with a neutralizing anti-VEGF antibody led to hair growth retardation and reduced hair follicle size. No effects of VEGF treatment or VEGF blockade were observed in mouse vibrissa organ cultures, which lack a functional vascular system. These results identify VEGF as a major mediator of hair follicle growth and cycling and provide the first direct evidence that improved follicle vascularization promotes hair growth and increases hair follicle and hair size.

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Active hair growth (anagen) is associated with angiogenesis.[/h]Mecklenburg L, Tobin DJ, Müller-Röver S, Handjiski B, Wendt G, Peters EM, Pohl S, Moll I, Paus R.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Germany.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]After the completion of skin development, angiogenesis, i.e., the growth of new capillaries from pre-existing blood vessels, is held to occur in the skin only under pathologic conditions. It has long been noted, however, that hair follicle cycling is associated with prominent changes in skin perfusion, that the epithelial hair bulbs of anagen follicles display angiogenic properties, and that the follicular dermal papilla can produce angiogenic factors. Despite these suggestive observations, no formal proof is as yet available for the concept that angiogenesis is a physiologic event that occurs all over the mature mammalian integument whenever hair follicles switch from resting (telogen) to active growth (anagen). This study uses quantitative histomorphometry and double-immunohistologic detection techniques for the demarcation of proliferating endothelial cells, to show that synchronized hair follicle cycling in adolescent C57BL/6 mice is associated with substantial angiogenesis, and that inhibiting angiogenesis in vivo by the intraperitoneal application of a fumagillin derivative retards experimentally induced anagen development in these mice. Thus, angiogenesis is a physiologic event in normal postnatal murine skin, apparently is dictated by the hair follicle, and appears to be required for normal anagen development. Anagen-associated angiogenesis offers an attractive model for identifying the physiologic controls of cutaneous angiogenesis, and an interesting system for screening the effects of potential antiangiogenic drugs in vivo.

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

Welcome to the club H.R., the more the merrier!
Your regimen looks good. In regards to the laser, I would say go for it. I remembered reading somewhere that women generally see better results with lllt because they have more miniaturized hair. With that in mind, knowing the large number of miniaturized hair that dermarolling generates, the lllt certainly couldn't hurt, and may be of some benefit in speeding up results. Keep us updated.

"Another type of laser treatment, known as low-level laser therapy (LLLT), is much gentler and less invasive. It does not produce heat and is most often used to heal rather than damage and destroy. It does not stimulate hair growth in completely bald areas of the scalp, but it may restore normal hair growth in thinning areas according to claims. Here's how—theoretically chromospheres absorb the gentle light that increases blood and oxygen flow to the area in need. This may affect the hair follicle at the cellular level, which boosts the strength and thickness of the weak or thin hair. Miniaturized (thin in diameter) hairs may take up to 12 months to grow into healthy hairs.Both men and women who face genetic pattern balding may experience the most benefit from LLLT. However, those who get best results also use an over-the counter topical cream called minoxidil (Rogaine). Another supplemental prescription product, finasteride (Propecia) may contribute in the treatment of men. Its use with women has not yet been established and may be harmful to them.
Women with more diffuse hair loss may realize more favourable outcomes, because LLLT is not particularly helpful on bald areas. Also, women's hair is more miniaturized than men and so it may respond better to treatments.
Results of LLT or not permanent; both men and women must continue therapy to keep hair growing"
http://www.vincihairclinic.com/hair-loss-guide/options-for-treatment-low-lase.html

Personally I don't think a 3-4 month recovery time after say, 12 weeks of dermarolling would be necessary, unless you're happy with the results and are just looking to maintain. I believe 7-10 days is enough time for recovery between rolling sessions, and since we're not actually implanting healthy follicles like in a hair transplant, but are instead cultivating hair through the release of growth hormones, activation of stem cells, etc., weekly wounding is most likely needed until the desired results are achieved. Then maintenance can begin with maybe 6-12 rolls per year. Of course, this is just me talking out my a**, but it seems logical to me. :pint::)

Björn

Reaction score
I notice every week my scalp getting more tender, I think it's because new blood vessels etc. are starting to develop there, my first 3 sessions were barely any pain, now it is getting more sensitive, doe anyone else notice this? Could also be that's it's because it hasn't fully healed.

I have also noticed this. It hurts much more now to DR than it did a couple of months ago.

I, since this is my first post, would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the active people in the forum contributing to this thread. For me, I have beein using DR (+ minoxidil which I have used much longer) since the end of the summer, but started doing it as squeeguee from September. The results have been a lot of new vellus hairs in the temples as well as some sparsely placed terminals. The rest of my regimen can be seen under "view my regimen".

Cheers,
Björn

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
Just made a pic with my mobile phone(quality sucks a bit though).Dunno if its helpfull.
as you can see on the pic , withing the red lines there are many terminals sprouting ,the other ones which are like 2cm long are miniaturized hair . Those growing hair are like i said before a bit like grafts,so 2-3 hair from 1 hair shaft.
got some small terminals on the really bald temples too but quality isnt good enough to see it properly-
http://i.epvpimg.com/ecJmb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.