Preparing for a future hair transplant in the early 20s

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
I'm not suggesting he or I or anyone won't care in his 40's and 50's. What I am saying is that in wasbalding's case, that at least he can have good hair in his 30s and most of his 40s and then in his 50s if the sh*t hits the fan, he'll just have to deal with it.

He's been on finasteride 11 years, what your are saying is finasteride will work for 15, 20, 30 years for him ?

Well according to him Propecia does work forever, the funny thing is I know Joetronic from H+W told him this just isnt true and I know Joe would never tell a 22 year old kid with a slightly receding hairline to have a massive hair transplant

What he did is his choice but as long as around I'm not going to let him spread lies.

He also claims propecia side effects do not exist

The funny part is that was one of the best writeups I have ever seen on a hair transplant and he chose a great Dr, I really hope he comes back because I want to find out why he thinks Propecia works forever as he has been on it 11 years and also had a 950 graft transplant during that time but had a pretty good recession in the photo before the H+W transplant.

If he is claiming his hair loss stopped at age 19 when he started propecia and has had a 950 graft hair transplant at age 23 how bald was this guy at age 19 ?

Reaction score
The clarification makes sense, and I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

Of course, I think it would be beneficial to see your end result, Dudemon. Do you have pics? Im curious to see what a not too bad science experiment looks like.

I truly hope its pretty good, because I surely dont want to become discouraged to go forward in less than a month.

But, I still have a week to cancel...so...

;)

PW

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PatienlyWaiting said:
Ok, thats a fair statement. I didnt have quite as much hair loss at 22 as him, In fact I am now 30 with about his hairline or maybe little less loss. But I have been pretty stable on finasteride for 6 years and goping for 1800 grafts wit Cole in a month. Was hoping the gurus on here werent suggesting that it was a bad idea, in my case.

PW

1800 grafts at age 30 is fine

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
When you are already at a severe stage of male pattern baldness (NW4+) you should not expect to get very good density. Even after exhausting all of your donor supply. Sure there are a few guys, like Jotronic, but he's the exception and not the norm.

Have you seen Joe's latest transplant photos ? For some reason I thought he had much more hair in his crown than the pre surgery photos show.

He also used some chest hair but I guess some of what they harvesteed was no good and only about a 1/3 of what they planted grew

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... erthread=y

Reaction score
Thanks HT55. I just hope its enough to make a nice significant difference. Cole seems to think it is more than enough to get a full look in the hairline. I hope he's right -- or that money starts growing on trees at some point. Thanks again.
HT55 said:
PatienlyWaiting said:
Ok, thats a fair statement. I didnt have quite as much hair loss at 22 as him, In fact I am now 30 with about his hairline or maybe little less loss. But I have been pretty stable on finasteride for 6 years and goping for 1800 grafts wit Cole in a month. Was hoping the gurus on here werent suggesting that it was a bad idea, in my case.

PW

1800 grafts at age 30 is fine

Reaction score
What did this guy start at ? Norwood 4? 5? I think he has a decent result, but not the most natural hairline. I suppose if he was completely bald, its a nice upgrade.
HT55 said:
dudemon said:
When you are already at a severe stage of male pattern baldness (NW4+) you should not expect to get very good density. Even after exhausting all of your donor supply. Sure there are a few guys, like Jotronic, but he's the exception and not the norm.

Have you seen Joe's latest transplant photos ? For some reason I thought he had much more hair in his crown than the pre surgery photos show.

He also used some chest hair but I guess some of what they harvesteed was no good and only about a 1/3 of what they planted grew

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PatienlyWaiting said:
What did this guy start at ? Norwood 4? 5? I think he has a decent result, but not the most natural hairline. I suppose if he was completely bald, its a nice upgrade.
HT55 said:
dudemon said:

I believe Joe was a Norwood 6 when he started, he is considered to have the best results for a Norwood 6 around

You can see his all his hair transplant's through the year here

http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/hai ... -1-photos/

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
HT55 said:
I believe Joe was a Norwood 6 when he started, he is considered to have the best results for a Norwood 6 around

Those are great results! But this one is even better- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63393

Incredible repair and Im sure he is incredibly happy considering what he looked like but that body hair just looks strange, I mean it more resembles pubic hair than head hair.

I guess the best way to sum it up is if you got a hair transplant using head hair and it looked like that you would most likely be pissed but as i said in his case I'm sure he's thrilled and who knows maybe after washing and combing it for years it will be more like head hair.

Reaction score
I agree with HT55 on this one. Looks very odd -- but he is in much beter shape. Maybe a flat iron or a perm. It really looks like body hair. LOWER lower body. Lol. Still, nice hairline.
HT55 said:
finfighter said:
HT55 said:

Those are great results! But this one is even better- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63393

Incredible repair and Im sure he is incredibly happy considering what he looked like but that body hair just looks strange, I mean it more resembles pubic hair than head hair.

I guess the best way to sum it up is if you got a hair transplant using head hair and it looked like that you would most likely be pissed but as i said in his case I'm sure he's thrilled and who knows maybe after washing and combing it for years it will be more like head hair.

Nene

Reaction score
I think his result is good considering he was completely bald. Maybe they should've used beard hair instead of chest hair?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
I think his result is good considering he was completely bald. Maybe they should've used beard hair instead of chest hair?

I think they did use some beard hair if you watch the video, i skipped around so I'm not sure.

Forget being bald, he looked deformed like a mine blew up next to his head or something. INCREDIBLE IMROVEMENT !

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about this a lot. a lot would be an understatement. I'll be honest, it's become an obsession of mine. to the point i've toyed with switching my major to something which would allow me to do the scientific research needed to remove male pattern baldness from existance forever

The oft-quoted belief is that if you get a transplant into your temples (to revert say, NW3 to NW1.5-2 or something) that the problem is if you continue to lose hair it will look very un-natural

OK. Understandable. Conservative belief, but good because "better safe then sorry" - right?

However - Laser hair removal exists. It's proven to work efficiently and safely. As counter-productive as it might seem, you could theoretically remove the hair you transplanted to revert to a normal balding pattern. That's better then having two "islands" of hair at the temples while everything else fades away to horrible slickness.

So, bad scenario - you are 20's with NW3. You've been forced into playing genetic russian roulette. You have the money to opt for a temples/hairline transplant. You go for it, grafting ~2k into your hairline and establish a NW2, a respectable hairline which no longer (to any significant level) decreases your social standing and attractiveness / etc

Say you discover later (5-10 years perhaps) that finasteride(or dutasteride) + minoxidil + niroozidil isn't keeping the hairline strong enoug and the hair behind the transplants has thinned to a noticible amount

So you opt for another transplant, say 2k, to restore density.

You repeat this process as long as you have donor hair, whenever additional density is needed. You don't care about the cost, because you're motivated. You have the money and don't want things, you want to be free from the genetic death sentence imposed upon you. If not free, you want the sentence postponed.

Then you come to the "breaking point", you've lost too much hair, and it's impossible for any transplant to fix you (because despite all research, HM never came to fruition, no stronger or more efficient drugs were ever found. male pattern baldness remains a genetic death sentence to anyone who has it). Hopefully you've made it until at LEAST your mid 30s. you've managed to scrap together a life, although it was significantly harder then your brethern who didn't suffer from baldness, at least you had something worth living for. you enjoyed the window of opprotunity you were given by medical science. God may have forsaken you but science did it's best to save you.

At this point you might say, "f***" - I have a completely unnatural pattern of hair

Well, you were genetically fated to have this horrible state pressed upon yourself. you were incapable to do anything to reverse it because of the cruel nature of life and human existance. You were lucky to obtain what freedom from baldness you had, and understanding this and accepting it is a key to letting go. We can't all be born fixable, just like we can't all be born rich, or tall, or any other combination of factors that are by-and-large completely inherited and completely uncorrelated to any actual achievements.

So take a deep breath, drink a bottle of jack, and get the hair you transplanted removed via laser. accept the NW7 fate and be glad you had the time that you did have. At least it will not be outwardly apparant that you dared to spit in the face of genetics, dared to exist as someone who wasn't beholden to the fate of baldness. Dared to make something of themselves and utilized the full strength of scientific progress against the demons of genetics. That anyone would say "you're insecure" because you tried to fight back against the most immoral, illogical and awful thing ever imposed upon human beings (genetic fate), states to me that anyone who would say such a thing is an awful human being who should have had nothing short of the worst genes on earth imposed upon them.

I've realized i realllllllly rambled on here and i may seem like a crazy person

so here's the TL;DL:
I want to get a decent (2k, *maybe* higher) transplant into my temples. Thus-far i believed i have responded well with the big 3.
I can afford further transplants to maintain density behind if needed.
If I reach a point where I run out of hair, I will laser remove all of it and accept my NW5/6/whatever fate.

Can anyone point out where my plan is flawed (ignoring money, having an acceptable hairline comes before everything except food/shelter for me)? I am genuinely curious

Obsidian

Reaction score
Too many 'what if' factors. You are putting your eggs all in one basket with laser hair removal. And like you said you could only laser hair removal could 'theoretically' remove it, not proven to. Even then, you are still left with a scar.

Also with the current posts I read, quality hair transplant surgeons, especially for someone so young would not simply want to operate on you because of that and possibly your expectations.

You can go on another hair loss web site read about a guy around your age who got his hairline and was on finasteride and came back four years laters regretting it.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
general opinion is that the FUE scar in the donor region is unnoticeable with even a small amount of hair grown in

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Honestly i think you need to consider body hair transplants from Dr Umar if you've got agressive balding in early 20's (like me).

These hairs or more likely to stand the test of time and they're also be practically unlimited donar hairs for some people (me anyway).

I think anything is managable with the correct amout of resources though - 3 or 4 FUE's alone could probably keep you looking decent, but most people just dont have the time or money to do this.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
3-4 over the course of many years, if thinning continues you mean?

i was under the impression that 1.5-2k grafts could be done in one session?

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Rutt said:
3-4 over the course of many years, if thinning continues you mean?

Yeah, that's what i mean.

I dont think there's any doubt thinning will continue for most people who exhibit notable hairloss in their 20's

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
I still feel like the FUE to remove hair option, as the worst case scenario, is not a very bad situation. (Aside from the fact it costs money and it would be a tragic irony to have a transplant to remove hair).

I'm really looking towards getting a transplant to NW2 level as soon as feasible, and keep monitoring the situation.