Preparing for a future hair transplant in the early 20s

cristi2011

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the nonsense about first transplanting, then laser-removing, etc?? You could wear a hairpiece.
And i see there's too muich negative thinking on this forum. It's overlooked, but i think that, if you don't believe something will work, your subconscius mind will trasform that in reality.
If you believe and wait for side effects form finasteride, you'll get them, if you wait for propecia to stop working, it will stop, if you believe and wait to lose all your hair, you'll do. Why this over-pessimistic attitude?
And why would propecia stop working?? There are people on it for 15 years, and it didn't stop working for them. It only stops working if you stop taking it consistently. And even in that case, if you start taking finasteride today, and works let's say 10-15 years, it's not the end of the world. There are even today better inhibitors: avodart, CB-03-01, etc. And the chance for some better inhibitor(if not the true treatment) to appear after 10 years is pretty high. Why be so negative, i don't get.
I don't get this "propecia surely stops working" obsession. There was an official study of 5 years, and it didn't stop working in that time. And there are plenty of users for whom it didn't stop working in 10 or 15 years(we really can't expect more, since the drug is only available for 15 years).
And if you're convinced propecia will stop working, why would you bother taking it?? I really don't understand.
The only logical reason proepcia would stop working is if your DHT levels increase with age. And the fact that propecia blocks only 60% of it. But if you switch to dutasteride, which blocks 90%, i don;'t think that can stop working anymore, maybe when you're 80.
But, the DHT increase with age is not really that logical. If we follow that route it will mean that a 70 year old will have the best muscles and the best potency, and obviously it's not the case.
DHT levels will correspond with testosterone levels. Generally, less testosterone (an aging problem) should produce less DHT, as DHT is synthesised from Testosterone via alpha-reductase.
So, what would be the explanation that propecia surely stops working at some time(as some negativists on this forum are self-convinced)??
Since we know DHT is the true cause for hair loss, and since propecia has success in stopping hair loss because of lowering DHT, why should it stop lowering DHT at some time?? You can't say the body gets used to it, because it works only at a chemical level, it's not like the viruses get used to antibiotics.
Hormones are simply chemicals, not like viruses. I don;t think chemical reactions change with time, or a substance gets used to other substance, as some people claim, it's nonsense!
PS: This study:
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/2/589
says DHT remains constant!
So i would like an explanation for why propecia should lose its effectiveness.
Don';t tell me that someone wrote something on a forum that propecia no more works for him. We already know propecia doesn't work from the start in 10% of people. But if it works, and on long term, why should it stop?
I want a scientifical explanation, mentioning a scientific study, etc, not opinions on forums.
I thin the more propecia works for you, the more you can be sure it will continue to work. Why? Because in this case you can be sure that your hair maintains because of the drug, it's not simply a coincidence or a placebo effect.
It could be a coinicdence, because we know male pattern baldness doesn't progress neatly. Someone can lose his hair for 6 months, that stabilise for years, then lose again, or simply not lose ever anymore, etc.
Or, it could be the case that you take, let's say. other medicine at a point which makes you lose hair and think propecia stopped working.
Hair doesn't fall only because of DHT!! It could be thyroid, diabetes(that can progress with age), it could be what you eat, what you drink(even substances in water can affect hair), it could be the water you use to wash your hair, etc.
Or it could be simply that the follicles age! Even those who are not affected by DHT /MPD thin with age. I think at 70-80, there are under 5% of men who still maintain all the hair they had at 30, let's say.

Or it could be that hair is more sensible to DHT as you age, as it weakens and ages itself, and so, even propecia does its job, even a smaller amount of DHT can attack the follicle. But, in this case, you can switch to avodart or other more-powerful inhibitors which are near the corner.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
It's just preparing for worst case scenario(s).

I'm planning on taking the Hair DX test in the near future to get an idea of how well procepia will keep working.

northnorth

Reaction score
I suppose if you started balding early on, you should have a very comfrotable job because most of your money willl be going into what keeps falling out.

I started at 19, so.. I am excited....................

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
Scalp pigmentation is going to be a big factor in hairloss treatments.

You can use it over your entire scalp if the buzzed look suits you, although there's still some questions about what to do when you get old enough that you can't do that hairstyle anymore

I think the biggest and most important thing it will be used for is covering up scarring in the donor region. It works best for FUE but also on linear scars.

Check out : http://www.hishairclinic.com/gallery/ namely Chris B.

This pretty much opens up FUE as a cosmetically 'risk-less' procedure, with the possible exception of 'islands' of hair.