Putting Avodart To The Test. At Least 1 Year.

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
good couple of weeks maybe a month.....iv lost count excactly how long i have been on it for haha

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you're only losing 30 hairs a shower, that's perfectly normal. Doesn't sound like a shed to me. However, it's not really how many hairs you lose anyway, but how they're replaced.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
if you're only losing 30 hairs a shower, that's perfectly normal. Doesn't sound like a shed to me. However, it's not really how many hairs you lose anyway, but how they're replaced.

As long as they get replaced, I shouldn't be complaining I knew this was going to happen

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been using dust? Have you seen improvements? Or still at that shedding phase?

6.5 months now. Shedding has never abated. I usually catch between 40 - 120 hairs per shower, although expect plenty more escape down the plug-hole or come out when I'm styling. I've thinned a little further around the crown area.

Problem with my hair being so fine and quite long, pics don't illustrate a great deal. I can take photos one day and the thinning looks quite bad, then take photos the next day under the same conditions, and my hair looks reasonably strong.

Should add that my part looks wider through the middle if I create one. However, I did take a similar photo 3 years ago, and situation actually looked worse back then (although I did have a little surgery right at the hairline between then). Also, like I say, it's very hard to use comparison photos with my hair.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
6.5 months now. Shedding has never abated. I usually catch between 40 - 120 hairs per shower, although expect plenty more escape down the plug-hole or come out when I'm styling. I've thinned a little further around the crown area.

Problem with my hair being so fine and quite long, pics don't illustrate a great deal. I can take photos one day and the thinning looks quite bad, then take photos the next day under the same conditions, and my hair looks reasonably strong.

Should add that my part looks wider through the middle if I create one. However, I did take a similar photo 3 years ago, and situation actually looked worse back then (although I did have a little surgery right at the hairline between then). Also, like I say, it's very hard to use comparison photos with my hair.

You've got to take your age into consideration mate it says your 40 id be delighted to see 40 with hair!! Even if it's thin, toppik does wonders. I still reckon 1 year of dust before you can decided if it's working for you, everyone's different.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me, if you're worried about losing hair in your 20s, you'll be just as determined to hold onto your hair when you hit 40. I've done pretty well I think, given I first started receding when I was 18. And yeah, I couldn't live without concealer, been using it for nearly 20 years. Although I use Mane rather than Toppik.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me, if you're worried about losing hair in your 20s, you'll be just as determined to hold onto your hair when you hit 40. I've done pretty well I think, given I first started receding when I was 18. And yeah, I couldn't live without concealer, been using it for nearly 20 years. Although I use Mane rather than Toppik.

Aye your probably right, did you make a switch from finasteride to dust or right to dust? Toppik can make my head itchy.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Aye your probably right, did you make a switch from finasteride to dust or right to dust? Toppik can make my head itchy.

yeah, was on finasteride for about 13 years I think. Switched to dutasteride earlier this year as was noticing increased shedding in the shower. Will never know effective finasteride was for me because nothing to compare it too. All I know, is that I've still gradually thinned/receded over the years, but with 3 x hair transplants to bulk the hairline, have still maintained a reasonably good head of hair. A lot of my problem is how ridiculously fine my hair naturally is. It's like baby hair! Dry shampoo and salt spray are good for texturising and adding weight though as I recently discovered.

nicksparrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on duta for over a year, and front temples are decimated LOL. Crown still thinner than usual. Rest is OK so far...

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On finasteride for 8 years and 7 months ago it stopped working, I got on dutasteride still with the finasteride and felt I was still receding. I’m one of those that has an unbearable itch when my male pattern baldness is active. I got on Ru a few weeks ago and the itching and burning have gone about 90 percent. My hair is getting thicker and healthier bc the ru is controlling the androgen caused inflammation and it is allowing the dutasteride to do what’s its supposed to do. I don’t think I would of had a good go with dutasteride without the ru

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on duta for over a year, and front temples are decimated LOL. Crown still thinner than usual. Rest is OK so far...

f***, it still amazes me, How is it possible a drug that's suppose to help can actually worsen Hair loss? I got brilliant results from finasteride.. I felt as if it had stopped working.. so I jumped over to dust, still taking finasteride atm tbh I'm scared to drop it lol!

nicksparrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
f***, it still amazes me, How is it possible a drug that's suppose to help can actually worsen Hair loss? I got brilliant results from finasteride.. I felt as if it had stopped working.. so I jumped over to dust, still taking finasteride atm tbh I'm scared to drop it lol!

Dont think it worsens it. Mine is just more aggressive than yours.
I believe it's slowed mine down remarkably.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here a little update on what I've been doing to try reverse my thinning.

Dutasteride .5 daily & i I've continued my finasteride 1mg daily got roughly 2 months left of it and I will stop taking it.

I use keto shampoo 3x a week, I leave it on my head for 10/15 minutes.

On my day off keto shampoo I use a collagen and biotein shampoo, it makes my hair feel great and a lot thicker.

Minoxidil 5% every morning and night. I also dermaroll lightly every other night with 1.5mm.

Minoxidil pill every night, I'm using this because I don't think I'm a great responder to topical but I don't want to stop using topical.

Perilla pill ed
Borage oil pill ed
Omega 3 ed
Nettle pill ed
Boitein ed
L-lysine ed
Zinc ed
Iron ed
Vitimin C ed

Before this new reg I only used finasteride 1mg roughly 3 year I had great success with finasteride. From overall thinning of the scalp to crazy thickness of hair. Unfortunately this year I've lost a lot of ground. I put it down to finasteride losing its affect as I was suffering from aggressive hair loss a couple years ago. I used a lot of steroids from 17-early 20's and they caused havoic on my hair. Most of the ones I used were dht based so I was f*****g my self over.

I've also used minoxidil for over a year not with the greatest of consistency. Probably why I don't think I respond great to it purely my laziness. Now I'm consistent.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update, my shedding has decreased a lot!! After I Wash and dry my hair I vigorously rub my head for a couple minutes over the sink, before I was getting 30+ not to mention what I lost during the wash. Now 1O max! Been like this for a few days now so hoping this continues!

im not 100% convinced on dermarolling, I do see little black hairs coming into my hairline but only when I shine my phone light and look.. I hope these develope into mature hairs. Fly home to Scotland soon so this will be my last update for a couple motnths.

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
4 month update on avodart!

Most noticeable thing is my hairline has took a hit! But.. I've got a lot of vellus hair around the hairline and temples! They are growing out! If I rub my head vigorously after a shower or hair wash day I'll look 10 hairs max. I feel I've lots abit of density in the front portion of my hair, hairdresser also noticed this.

What do you guys reckon? Not a great deal of change apart from the hairline! Maybe regrowth at month 6+???

Thanks guys. & happy new year.