READ READ READ.. Very Interesting POV

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Empire said:
- Finasteride DOES indeed have a signficant impact on sebum production but heres the issue at hand.

So did he explain why Imperato-McGinley's study completely contradicts his claim? :)

Empire said:
My GP is a smart guy.

He sounds like a quack to me.

Well had you mentioned that study before I saw him I would of brought it up!

He mentioned to me severe corruption in the Pharm. Industry worldwide. He said a topical cream he was researching for ecszma, he was forced to forge clinical trial results and after that he lost any trust he had in his company and started submitting his own work outside the country.

I dunno.. I don't believe he can be brilliant in other areas of medicine and just be a quack in 1 section. I believe him and tomorrow I'm starting treatment.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Accutane made me lose lots of hair, all though it really cleared up my acne.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
TAINTED-MEAT said:
Accutane made me lose lots of hair, all though it really cleared up my acne.

What dose were you on.. and how much do you weigh?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Empire said:

I dunno.. I don't believe he can be brilliant in other areas of medicine and just be a quack in 1 section.

I realize that you're a newbie here, having only recently registered. But this issue of whether or not finasteride affects sebum production has been discussed off and on here and on other hairloss forums for YEARS. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've cited that Imperato-McGinley study that found that finasteride has no effect on sebum. I'm shocked that your doctor is apparently unaware of it, which is why I don't think he really knows what he's talking about.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Empire said:

I dunno.. I don't believe he can be brilliant in other areas of medicine and just be a quack in 1 section.

I realize that you're a newbie here, having only recently registered. But this issue of whether or not finasteride affects sebum production has been discussed off and on here and on other hairloss forums for YEARS. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've cited that Imperato-McGinley study that found that finasteride has no effect on sebum. I'm shocked that your doctor is apparently unaware of it, which is why I don't think he really knows what he's talking about.

Maybe he knows about.. Maybe he disagrees with it.. Maybe he knows something about that study you or I don't know.. I haven't asked him those questions but I will now.

I'm sure he knows of plenty other studies that he hasn't brought up.. he does have other patients to see outside in the waiting room so I don't expect him to give me the entire run down.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
EMPIRE - BRYAN,

Years ago I took a high dose of Acutane for acne and it did the job it was meant to do. Perfect skin.

I was losing hair very slowly as well but still it was very very thick.......

the huge surprise while on the medicine (Acutane) is that within days of starting it my hairloss completely STOPED 100%. I could not see any more hair falling while showering or even slightly pulling it... NONE.

after the 3rd month I got a monster shed and my right temple started to thin out in a matter of days.... I stayed on acutane for 3 months more (6 months total) and the last 3 months I felt all sorts of side effects..... my nails and skin thinned out.... my skin wAS very sensitive to heat, friction and I became very irritable

and my hair changed forever after that treatment.... it became thinner and the temple never filled in.....

but........ the effect Acutane had of making my hair completely stop falling those first 3 months has always made me wonder if it could be useful for hairloss.... but just in a very low dose...??????

any thoughts?

Empire, good luck. (take notes, pics and keep us posted)

also, why dont you suggest to your Dr. to come and visit this forum and share some of his ideas...I would be very interested in reading what he has to say.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
patagonia said:
EMPIRE - BRYAN,

Years ago I took a high dose of Acutane for acne and it did the job it was meant to do. Perfect skin.

I was losing hair very slowly as well but still it was very very thick.......

the huge surprise while on the medicine (Acutane) is that within days of starting it my hairloss completely STOPED 100%. I could not see any more hair falling while showering or even slightly pulling it... NONE.

after the 3rd month I got a monster shed and my right temple started to thin out in a matter of days.... I stayed on acutane for 3 months more (6 months total) and the last 3 months I felt all sorts of side effects..... my nails and skin thinned out.... my skin wAS very sensitive to heat, friction and I became very irritable

and my hair changed forever after that treatment.... it became thinner and the temple never filled in.....

but........ the effect Acutane had of making my hair completely stop falling those first 3 months has always made me wonder if it could be useful for hairloss.... but just in a very low dose...??????

any thoughts?

Empire, good luck. (take notes, pics and keep us posted)

also, why dont you suggest to your Dr. to come and visit this forum and share some of his ideas...I would be very interested in reading what he has to say.

Hi

What dose were you on? Did you change your dose later?

lexicon

Reaction score
Hi, when I was a teenager i had really bad acne. I was prescribed some weird role on thing that dried my skin right up but i never took any pills for it.

My question is what doses of accutane are usually given to patients for acne and if it does go the opposite way and induce hair loss surely there would be lots of notable cases.

my body has always over produce sebum but especially in my teens but only at around 22 did my hair start to thin surely there would be more likeness in the time frames ?

still very interesting keep us posted on the results.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
someone i used to work with took Acutane for his acne, and actually went a bit crazy... i think that is a potential side effect.

when i took propecia, my temples got really oily and my scalp started to get irritated.

those areas were the quickest to lose hair, at a much faster rate than i was losing before. it was scary.

i'm pretty sure it affected me the way you described empire, regarding hyperandrogenicity.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
After delving further into the realms of Accutane.. I've made my own conclusion

Accutane (similar to a high concentration of Vit A) is both good and bad for you.

Good when taken at low and ultra low doses
Potentially bad if taken at normal dose
Bad if taken at high dose

40mg a day and up is a risk factor

I've taken my first 10mg Accutane pill today, obviously nothing to report.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
where can you get Accutane?

is it prescription only?

are there any countries that sell it without prescription?

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Ask the brilliant Egyptian doctor how he fits into his nutty theory the fact that finasteride has no effect on sebum production! :smack:

Hmmmm... I already mentioned here that finasteride saved my hair AND improved the appearance of my scalp, i.e. it is less 'greasy' now. I don't know if sebum is responsible for male pattern baldness but I do know that finasteride stopped the sebum production in my case.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Empire said:

Accutane (similar to a high concentration of Vit A) is both good and bad for you.

I believe I was on 60mg/day for the entire 6 months.... it was too much for me..

my mood changed, skin sensitivity (sex became unpleasant).... muscles sore all the time.... just bad.

but.... I still wonder of the potential it could have used in a ultra low dose....(??)

ask your Dr. more questions..... I would like to hear the comments of someone who really know about this...

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
patagonia said:
Empire said:

I believe I was on 60mg/day for the entire 6 months.... it was too much for me..

my mood changed, skin sensitivity (sex became unpleasant).... muscles sore all the time.... just bad.

but.... I still wonder of the potential it could have used in a ultra low dose....(??)

ask your Dr. more questions..... I would like to hear the comments of someone who really know about this...

60mg a Day is a high risk for side affects.

20mg day is the red line. 20mg a day and below are the safer low doses.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on 10mg 2 times a week which is 2.85mg a Day. Thats considered ultra low dose.

I found a french study that stated ultra low doses work as well as normal doses althought may take longer.

moncassino

Reaction score
Empire, exiciting news. Although i think it sounds very unlikely that acne-medicine should be the answer of male pattern baldness, it is still a good thing when people try something new. Did your doctor tell you when you could expect results, and for how long are you going to stick with it??

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Empire , make sure you take pictures

Seriously without them no one will believe you if it does work , also are you using anything besides accutane?

Slime707

Reaction score
This is pretty interesting. I was on accutane when I was about 17 (I think) for acne. Worked incredibly for that, but I was on propecia a year or so later. I might give the low-dose thing a go, too.