Revivogen

nedloftj

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Huh?? The evidence indicates that the hairloss from minoxidil withdrawal is only TEMPORARY. But in any event, you still haven't said anything about why you recommend topicals in "spurts".

Bryan

I have a bit of a question that I am unsure of... assuming that spironolactone/Revivogen work... If you've maintained hair using Propecia and then later switch to another DHT inhibitor like the above I'm assuming you will keep all (most) of that hair, correct? (this, again, is assuming that the alternative product is effective.)

...but if you've grown a lot of hair on Rogaine/minoxidil, there is no equivalent alternative that one could switch to... am I right?

So hair grown using a DHT inhibitor is not theoretically dependent on a specific product but that minoxidil grown hair is specifically dependent on minoxidil?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Again the rule is, anything that does anything to cause any change in your body must be continued in order to maintain those changes.

That being said...

If you want to go 55 miles per hour and you use a blue car to do so ... yes you can continue going 55 miles per hour if you hop over to a red car instead and continue driving.

The dependency is on the cause-effect relationship.

What you use to attain it isn't the focus.

So yes assuming Revivogen is as effective as Propecia, your dependency is on the *results*. The DHT inhibition. Propecia being the method, and Revivogen being the replacement.

Since Minoxidil is unique in its method, and I don't know of any product that does exactly what it does, swapping to something else would make you lose any benefits from its type of growth stimulation.

Either way you're dependent. Either on the DHT inhibition, or the Growth stimulation.

HairLossTalk.com

nedloftj

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
So yes assuming Revivogen is as effective as Propecia, your dependency is on the *results*. The DHT inhibition. Propecia being the method, and Revivogen being the replacement.

Since Minoxidil is unique in its method, and I don't know of any product that does exactly what it does, swapping to something else would make you lose any benefits from its type of growth stimulation.

Thanks for that answer... Due to minoxidil being a "unique" method, would you consider it to be a more limited when it comes to long term treatment? It seems to me that hair grown/maintained using DHT inhibitors might have better luck being kept as newer treatments are developed/released whereas minoxidil hair really has no chance. (or will the follicles remain active and perhaps re-grow new hair even if you temporarily shed the old "minoxidil hair")

...but on the flip side it seems like minoxidil is currently your best bet if you really have a need for good regrowth.

G

I was sleepy and sometimes my spelling isn´t top notch but since this is my fourth language I don´t really care - your swedish is flawless I take it?

Still you didn´t answer my question, didn´t even try.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
nedloftj said:
I have a bit of a question that I am unsure of... assuming that spironolactone/Revivogen work... If you've maintained hair using Propecia and then later switch to another DHT inhibitor like the above I'm assuming you will keep all (most) of that hair, correct? (this, again, is assuming that the alternative product is effective.)

Yes, one would expect that to be correct... (let's say "5a-reductase inhibitor" or "antiandrogen" instead of "DHT inhibitor")

nedloftj said:
...but if you've grown a lot of hair on Rogaine/minoxidil, there is no equivalent alternative that one could switch to... am I right?

Who knows? Maybe something like grape-seed proanthocyanidins could produce a growth stimulation similiar to what you get with minoxidil. And if you DO get a similar effect, is it really due to a different biochemical mechanism, or is it possibly the same mechanism?

nedloftj said:
So hair grown using a DHT inhibitor is not theoretically dependent on a specific product but that minoxidil grown hair is specifically dependent on minoxidil?

Well, I don't know if it's SPECIFICALLY dependent on minoxidil (after all, diazoxide grows hair very likely by the same mechanism as minoxidil, because the two are very similar drugs), but we do know that finasteride (and presumably all antiandrogen-type methods) aren't always capable of maintaining minoxidil-grown hair. I think it's dangerous to try to draw any other conclusions than that, without actual scientific evidence.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You directed this to HairLossTalk.com, but I gotta give it a shot, too!

nedloftj said:
Due to minoxidil being a "unique" method, would you consider it to be a more limited when it comes to long term treatment? It seems to me that hair grown/maintained using DHT inhibitors might have better luck being kept as newer treatments are developed/released whereas minoxidil hair really has no chance.

I totally agree with what you said above. I've been saying for a long time that minoxidil probably doesn't inhibit the fundamental balding process in any way, it's just a "crutch" that provides an offset of extra growth above and beyond what you would normally have without it. But the balding process appears to continue, even with the minoxidil.

nedloftj said:
...but on the flip side it seems like minoxidil is currently your best bet if you really have a need for good regrowth.

Yes. Ironically, I think that minoxidil is actually able to stimulate a bit more new growth (at least per unit area of scalp) than a treatment like Propecia, but it doesn't slow or stop the fundamental balding process like Propecia does. Ultimately, minoxidil will fail. Let's put it this way: minoxidil is better in the short-term, Propecia is better in the long-term.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
nesta said:
I was sleepy and sometimes my spelling isn´t top notch but since this is my fourth language I don´t really care - your swedish is flawless I take it?

Damn, nesta, you're actually Swedish?? You fooled me! You might say that you passed my own "Turing test" by making me assume that you were also an American! :lol:

I noticed some occasional odd spellings in your posts, but then I _also_ notice a lot of odd spellings in the posts of some home-grown Americans! I sincerely congratulate you on your damned-good grasp of English as a fourth language. It always amazes me how well so many Europeans speak English...

Bryan

G

Ah man you made me blush :oops:

I owe it all to the transformers and the fact that they didn´t dub foreign TV at the time I was watching the transformers - right unti optimus prime got what he deserved :)

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents,
Thanks for the discussion theirs so much information been said but im even more confused.

Basically my head still itches using nizoral and T-gel ive been on finasteride for a month and its going fine, my hair is still falling out and i can see balding occuring on my vertex and im receeding a wee bit with general thinning all over. Going to see the doctor and dermo to double check it aint nothing else.

So basically how can i stop this itching and slow things down a bit??? Need help on this guys

Cheers

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
KEVING said:
Gents,
Thanks for the discussion theirs so much information been said but im even more confused.

Basically my head still itches using nizoral and T-gel ive been on finasteride for a month and its going fine, my hair is still falling out and i can see balding occuring on my vertex and im receeding a wee bit with general thinning all over. Going to see the doctor and dermo to double check it aint nothing else.

So basically how can i stop this itching and slow things down a bit??? Need help on this guys

Cheers

Tricomin has helped me with the occasioal itch.

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
So reviogen or Tricomin??

What does you thinks which one will solve my problems

G

It depends.

The cause of your itch will be partly eliminated with Revivogen. However the treatement itself can cause itch if you have sensitive skin.

I´d go with Revivogen + maybe emu oil for the scalp.

Hmmm ... is the scalp moist?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I'd say stay away from revivogen for now. Especially if your getting an itch. Get that under control first. Tricomin should do this and it's not messy what-so-ever.
After that's taken care of the itch I still stand behind what I originally said. Leave your Regimen alone. Constantly adding and taking away from you regimen will only postpone results. If you absolutely feel you need to add something, add Minoxidil 2x/day. You already have the DHT getting under control with finasteride. Now hit it from another angle with the ONLY other product proven to regrow hair. Minoxidil. This stuff is working wonders for me.

BHD

G

nesta.gif

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok think ill try tricomin for now maybe with some emu oil, cause this itch is driving me wild!!!

So the minute im taking finasteride its inhibiting DHT, i thought it could take up a year to stop the hairloss thats why i thought if i added reviogen i would be inhibiting the DHT until the finasteride starts to work?? Am i speaking crap??

Cheers

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
KEVING said:
Ok think ill try tricomin for now maybe with some emu oil, cause this itch is driving me wild!!!

So the minute im taking finasteride its inhibiting DHT, i thought it could take up a year to stop the hairloss.
Cheers
The same logic applies to any hairloss product...It could take up to a year for Revivogen to work too.
I think a possible reason that it takes longer for some people to see results than others is dependant on what phase of the hair loss cycle their in when starting treatment. Another factor might be how long each phase lasts. Everyone's different.

BHD