Should I buzz/shave it?

G

I've been contemplating about shaving my head since June, really. My hair has become really shitty during summer, although I have used finasteride (1.25 mg/day) since 9th June. My hair/scalp especially suffered during my 2 week stint using Minoxidil 5%, I lost like 50-100 hairs per day during that time and my scalp still hasn't recovered (itching, soreness). I really don't feel there's any other choice left for me but to shave it off and deal with this sh*t. My family has been strongly against shaving/buzzing, they're all saying that hairloss exists only in my head etc... and I'm practically bald on top. So depressing. So here's my pic, hair wet, please let me know what you think. Can I pull off the shaved look? If not completely pull it off, at least live with it? :shock: My biggest fear is that my head will be way too long, 'cause I had pretty long head when I was a baby. Lol, I put my finger to the very top of my head, just to see how much the "hair" (a.k.a. whispy thinning strands) adds volume there.

Here's the pic, let me know what you think:

123456.jpg

G

you could definitely pull off the shaved head. in fact i think you're one of the few people who would look unquestionaly better with a shaved head compared to your current hair state. but i think if you go that route you should stay on the finasteride to keep your roots so the shaved head looks better.

G

Thanks for the encouragement, mate! It's really welcome! You know, it's 7:13 AM here and I haven't had any sleep all night... too much sh*t in my head, I can only think of getting the head shaved when I hit the barbershop today.

EDIT: I wasn't about to drop the finasteride anyways, it's my only hope since I can't use regular minoxidil and the non-PPG ones are too expensive and hard to get.

bubka

Reaction score
you have a decent lean look and bone structure where buzzed would like fine, hair does not seem to bad either really :D

i had the conehead type thing when i was a baby too, i still have a slight ridge on top too, god help me if i ever lose it, i don't want to see what that looks like :lol:

G

Thanks, Bubka. Hmm, I have a (hopefully) slight ridge on top aswell, it sucks but there's really nothing I can do about it. That pic really doesn't do justice to the hair, it's god awful, very diffuse all around. I can hardly feel my hair when I run my fingers through it :hairy: .

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
well your hair looks fine to me... but if you really are balding, then I recommend shaving/buzzing because first of all, it would be a good idea for you and everyone else to get used to seeing you bald. Secondly, you have the facial structure to pull off the look so consider yourself lucky.

G

Hmm, what exactly in my facial structure makes it suitable for shaved look? High cheekbones perhaps?

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
if you want the shaved look then, yes, it would definitely suit you.

however, when you still have so much hair....why?

try a number 3 or 4 cut first b4 you go shaved....get yourself used to it first as it is a drastic step to shave the lot.

i go with a zero and just buzz once per week....my g/f always want the bare skin though but i cant be bothered shaving it every day...hence the compromise.

i'm good old norwood 7 though....your worst nightmare, i imagine!!

G

ginald said:
if you want the shaved look then, yes, it would definitely suit you.

however, when you still have so much hair....why?

try a number 3 or 4 cut first b4 you go shaved....get yourself used to it first as it is a drastic step to shave the lot.

i go with a zero and just buzz once per week....my g/f always want the bare skin though but i cant be bothered shaving it every day...hence the compromise.

i'm good old norwood 7 though....your worst nightmare, i imagine!!

I don't have much hair, the picture lies... my hair is horribly diffused up top, the hairs are so DEAD that it's practically impossible to style them in any way. Well I'm gonna ask the barber if she can do anything with it before taking it down. Thanks for your encouragement, though! And I'm not too far from being a Norwood V myself, just a little more diffuse and voila! I'm there. And i'm only 24 in a month, for f***'s sake.

G

Hehe, listen up guys. I did it. I f*****g DID IT. What do you think? I'm liking it so far although my side profile ain't perfect, but you can't have everything you know. It's 3 mm on top and 1mm on sides and back.

654321.jpg

Goingat20

Reaction score
looks awesome man, i wish i could pull it off. Suits u! keep that look...

G

Lol, just discovered that I look like a conehead from one angle :freaked2: . sh*t. Or more like an alien to be honest. I'm so depressed now, I don't wanna be thrown some f*****g alien jokes at me.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you look great. Wish i had the courage to do it. Forget about alien jokes, you're looking sexy as hell.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Your hairloss is hard to tell no one would really notice it, you look fine like this.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
shaving

ol, just discovered that I look like a conehead from one angle Freaked2 . $#iT. Or more like an alien to be honest. I'm so depressed now, I don't wanna be thrown some f****ing alien jokes at me.

Tervehdys. A fellow hairlosing finn. I ended up doing exactly same as you just did. I shaved my head at the three month mark since starting finasteride (ok you are at month four).

My hair looked absolutely awful and I lost tons of hair in the third month. But good thing is that my hairloss seems to have settled and there is some regrowth of the lost hair.

I got plenty of unwanted attention becouse of my new "skinhead" look. But dont worry, if you dont like your new looks, the hair will grow back in a month or two. And it might look better when the finasterid shed has also settled.

G

Yeah, I know that the bald look still isn't accepted by everyone. I would absolutely love my new buzz cut if my head wouldn't look so weird when looked at a certain angle, it really kills me... dunno what I'll do since the shaved head obviously isn't for me. And if thinning goes on, I wouldn't want to sport the horseshoe thingie either... I'm in deep sh*t a month before my 24th birthday.

G

looks much much better than before. your hair looked all straggly and dead before but it looks much better buzzed. keep it that way.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
if my head wouldn't look so weird when looked at a certain angle

Dont worry. I bet Freddy Ljungbergs head looks also strange from some wierd angle.

People normally view your head only from same level that you are standing/sitting.

the bald look still isn't accepted by everyone.

Well I dont know about people accepting it or not. I shaved it to 1mm, which is quite short... People were just annoyingly curious why I did it. And asked guestions like "who drove over you with a lawnmover?"