Staring down strangers...

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Not really getting the point there are you. Of course not all Stathams movie covers have his hairline obscured but a 'suprisingly high' number of them do.

And paul Daniels? A middle aged magician, his looks hardly matter do they, all that matters is that he can do tricks. He may be on tv but he's not a sex symbol, you've got to ask would he have made it as an actor?

GeminiX said:
@Nashville: I was thinking the very same. I found about a dozen 70's and 80's era TV celebs, personalities etc. who had all forms of highly visible hair loss.

I notice that you did'nt manage to actually give any examples though. :whistle:
Well uman did ask for one that did show the top of Statham's head and I provided it.

Here's another just in case:
the_bank_job1.jpg

Celebs off the top of my head: Dennis Waterman, Leonard Rossiter, Terry Wogan, bruce forsyth

I'm sure you'll pick holes in all these examples but whatever, keep thinking bald and balding guys somehow only started appearing on TV in the 90s.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As for Paul Daniels, well are we talking about bald guys getting on TV or sex symbols? Keep shifting goalposts to fit your arguments... :whistle:

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
qball01 said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":7cj7t33j]Think of all the TALENT that the world is missing out on because bald musicians can't get the same publicity as those mucisians who fit the look. And don't tell me about stars that lost their hair AFTER they made it. Not the same. The rise of the music video basically ended many a homly artist's career. Eddy Money and the lead singer of Scorpions for example. Rock stars have to also be models now a days, or at least on the Disney Channel and MTV.

David Draimen of Disturbed

and of course...Chris Daughtry....hes been bald longer than hes been famous...and is one of the most successful current rock musicians out today....and ladies love this guy. So theres at least ONE example just so you don't think it can never happen

He's got temple recession ala Phil Colins but far from bald. Q, bald is anything over nw4. People who still have hair and choose to shave it are just shaved...not bald. Bald means you can't grow hair on the top of your head. Chris Daughtry doesn't count, yet.[/quote:7cj7t33j]

are you serious? You're actually telling me that he doesn't count as bald to 99.9 percent of people out there? The tiny bit of hair that still remains upfront is enough of a difference to...make him unnatractive? To make people think lesser of him? Are you f*****g serious? If so...man, you need more help than I thought....look at the below picture and try to tell me that people don't see that as BALD. You're honestly saying that the tiny bit of shadow he has upfront will make any difference WHATSOEVER to how he is perceived?! Seriously...like I honestly can't believe that you are trying to pass this off as a rational perception...

don't try to say "sorry Q...thats not actually bald...." Like just about everybody in the world...including Daughtry himself doesn't consider him to be bald

85393_grammy-clive-davis-pre-party-chris-daughtrys-new-album.jpg

that is BALD! I don't care that he may have a tiny bit more of a shadow of stubble than you....he still shaves off every little bit of hair that he has. Try to convince me that if you had a tiny little bit of shadow on your head like Daughtry (cuz hes far from being just a little bit receded nowadays) that your life would be any better, that people wouldn't make bald comments all the same (assuming they really do). Nope...they would all stop, examine your head and say "nope...hes actually still only a Norwood 4 (because normal people know what a friggin norwood scale is) we should cut him some slack!"

cuebald

Reaction score
When people see the shadow they know he can grow it out again and be a NW2.5 (even on a subconcious level)
whereas if that shadow was absent they would feel (again even on a subconsious level) that he is well and truely bald.
I myself see him as balding, he is not bald, he doesn't have a "full head of hair", he is a balding man who chooses to shave his head.

from haired, to balding, to bald.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
no..people don't "subconsciously" know that he could grow his hair out...the fact is, he has very little to grow out anymore anyways....the fact is, you see things that way because you are bias...you know about baldness in terms of the norwood scale...what most people know, is that Chris Daughtry is bald...and hes going to look that way for the rest of his career most likely....when a guy with substantial hairloss (even if it isnt Norwood 6) takes a friggin razor to his head and leaves nothing but a tiny shadow on his head...normal people who don't obsess over baldness will see him as BALD...consciously and subconsciously...as I said...they don't know what a Norwood scale is...they just know they see a bald head and yet...GASP! They still like him, and buy his music and think hes a "good looking BALD guy."

U-man's defense is just so that he can have an extremely dumb excuse to justify why guys like Daughtry are popular and respected and yet he is supposedly persecuted and shunned. If/when Daughtry becomes a Norwood 5 plus...absolutely nobody on this planet besides obsessed bald people will notice anyways because he shaves it regardless....can you guys REALLY dispute this fact with a convincing argument?

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
and heres an example...he may not be Australian but he finished in like the top 8 of Australian Idol...hes popular enough over there....Marty Worrall. Sorry U-man, I havent done a careful enough hairline examination to see if theres a tiny bit of a hairline...so maybe he doesnt count?....( :stfu:

marty_worrall.jpg

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
This forum makes me wonder if its only us that even notices bald people. I see so many of them on a daily basis just living there life and not caring, I do not however see people teasing them because of their hairloss. This forum can really drag a bald or balding person down instead of cheering them up lol

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I'm sure Daughtry shaves his head because he has hairloss. Alot of people who are nw3 going on four shave their head because they think they have lost enough hair to not be able to pull off growing it out anymore...so they shave it. NW5/6 are socially obligated to shave down like Chris because they don't want to look like a bozo. If he grew his hair out in that picture, Chris wouldn't look like a bozo, granted he would probably look better shaved and I don't blame him for doing so, as I suspect that is his strategy- If I keep it shaved even though I still have a good amount of hair, as I progressively loose it, nobody will notice because I am trying to hide my shadow. EVEN WHEN YOU SHAVE AN NW6 HORSESHOE DOWN TO THE SKIN WITH A RAZOR, YOU CAN STILL SEE THE SHADOW UNLESS YOU ARE AN ALBINO! You don't get it, having a full head of hair and shaving it down doesn't make you bald! There is no such thing as bald by choice! You are asserting that an nw6 looks EXACTLY the same as an nw1 when shaved down and I am saying that is bullshit. The horseshoe area is two shades lighter than the back and the sides and although shaving does minimalize the contrast, it doesn't eliminate it completely. Why do you think that guy developed micro-pigmentation for bald men to stipple those tiny hairs in the void spaces and make everything flush. People never for an instant thought that I had a full head of hair and CHOSE to shave it because they can still see the border of my horseshoe even after I shave it. There is enough of a difference for it to matter to someone who is bald. I know I wish I had some sort of shadow on top framing my face.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying a shaved down Norwood 0 is the same as a Norwood 6...but I'm saying when you ALREADY have enough hairloss to be considered BALDING (Daughtry would have very noticeable hairloss if he grew it out..its not like he'd have a good hairline at all) and you shave it bald...you're bald to the rest of the society. When its obvious you have lost a decent amount of hair..and you're biccing your head...thats when you're bald, regardless of whether or not you're a Norwood 3 or a Norwood 7...you become "a bald guy who shaves his head" to the majority of people...doesn't matter how bald you are by that point because you're choosing to make yourself fully bald because you're tired of dealing with hairloss....

and yeah...micro pigmentation does exist....and it can make you look a bit better, sure...but the difference between stubble and lack thereof doesn't make the difference between ugly and attractive...(do you really think your life would be any different if you had as much hair as Daughtry and stillchose to shave it bald? Would a tiny bit of shadow make a difference in how people saw and treated you?) Sure...they use it on Vin Diesel...but hes a Hollywood actor who has to look his absolute best, like all actors...they have to have perfect skin, be at a very low weight, be tanned, etc.

The REASON Micropigmentation for the head exists is the same reason that any other cosmetic procedure exists...its one more example of how preying on the insecurities of people with low self esteem generates PROFIT. If even a few people buy into the idea that getting their head TATOO'D (what happens when somebody touches your head and doesn't feel the stubble that is so clearly etched onto your skull?) will make them happier then the people who offer that procedure stand to gain MONEY. But first...its important to convince bald people that they NEED this procedure because it makes them look 100 times better..or else they won't buy into it and spend their hard earned money.

I'm not denying I'd rather keep shaving my head with a hairline...but I'm just saying that the difference between a Norwood 2/3 bald head and a Norwood 6 bald head doesn't nearly justify the difference you THINK it makes (and you only think that so you can use your level of baldness as an excuse for why your baldness is more serious than most cases). If you have a nice face and a somewhat OK shaped head...you're not going to be made ugly as long as you are in good shape...I hate to break it to you..but you are not "ugly" to the rest of the world, despite the fact you're fully bald.

GeminiX

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I notice that you did'nt manage to actually give any examples though. :whistle:

You pretty much proved the point I was making, which was why I stopped googling around making a little list.

If they existed, we could post 100 or more celebrities with hair loss problems and the negative guys would list 100 reasons why those don't count and that wasn't what they meant anyway.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Because the arguments goes around and around in circles ad nauseum.

Negative person - Makes post on HairLossTalk.com forum that everything sucks and is looking for responses.
Positive person - Replies to post pointing out things are not as bad as it seems.
Negative person - Replies saying "yes it is it's the end of the world, omfgpwndrama".
Positive person - Counters saying "No it's not, here are some things which show you it's fine".
Negative person - Further counters along the lines that they meant something completely different and even though you replied to exactly what I said, what I meant was something else it's not fair that they cannot have the same lifestyle as David Beckham and it's the worlds / God's / the univierse / the dog next door's fault.
Positive person - Sighs.
Negative person - Wanders off to start the cycle again elsewhere in the forum as most people are now bored of this thread and have stopped replying.

:)

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people really stare at bald men?
There are so many chrome domes walking around now that it's not like they stick out in a crowd. Everywhere I go there are a bunch of men with noticable hair loss or completely shaved heads. It's pretty much the norm. The slick look is so popular now that even guys who aren't losing their hair are opting to shave it all off.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
thetodd said:
I wonder how many people really stare at bald men?
There are so many chrome domes walking around now that it's not like they stick out in a crowd. Everywhere I go there are a bunch of men with noticable hair loss or completely shaved heads. It's pretty much the norm. The slick look is so popular now that even guys who aren't losing their hair are opting to shave it all off.

Lol i was trying to make this exact point before there is something like 1.4 billion bald people in this world if you think your special or stand out your sadly mistaken.

Petchsky

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Because the arguments goes around and around in circles ad nauseum.

Negative person - Makes post on HairLossTalk.com forum that everything sucks and is looking for responses.
Positive person - Replies to post pointing out things are not as bad as it seems.
Negative person - Replies saying "yes it is it's the end of the world, omfgpwndrama".
Positive person - Counters saying "No it's not, here are some things which show you it's fine".
Negative person - Further counters along the lines that they meant something completely different and even though you replied to exactly what I said, what I meant was something else it's not fair that they cannot have the same lifestyle as David Beckham and it's the worlds / God's / the univierse / the dog next door's fault.
Positive person - Sighs.
Negative person - Wanders off to start the cycle again elsewhere in the forum as most people are now bored of this thread and have stopped replying.

:)

'The Impact of hairloss' section in a nutshell.

Like the late and great Bill Hicks said "It's just a ride" life that is, and if you can laugh and not take it all so seriously, you'll have more fun, and be much better company.

Positive person reply.

Krispin

Banned
Reaction score
decro435 said:
This is the definition of Paranoia.

People stare at people, I do it all the time. Just happens. A lot of the time I don't even realise I'm staring and it's kind of awkward when I realise I am. Maybe those people are staring at you because of your height, your colour, your hair loss or maybe because you are good looking. Most of the time though they'll just be staring at you for no apparent reason. Who gives a sh*t?

You have to stop being insecure and deal with reality rather than what you think might be happening.

No, it's not paranoia, you insensitive prick. The staring situations they are describing are real; I've experienced them myself and I can tell the difference between normal passing eye contact and purposeful staring. Why don't you go forget yourself before you start with your whole psychological spiel again? This is a physical world- that's how we derive our psychology. It can only ultimately be fixed physically, not psychologically.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
tbh if u arent a NW1-2.5 when you shave it close it really shouldn't matter.

Also, UCMan, hit the sunbeds and grow a beard

Obsidian

Reaction score
I really wish people would stop resurrecting old threads.

cuebald

Reaction score
ain't against the rules though is it?
Some of them have interesting stuff in them

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It just happens, OK? I could never understand how people could refuse to believe that there are those out there that would stare down or make fun of someone for being bald. NEWS FLASH: There are plenty of assholes out there that would not only make fun of baldness but handicapped and mentally retarded folks as well. Just tell yourself that those people are immature pathetic loosers for thinking that way and go about your business.