Study: Licorice, peppermint DECREASE sebum secretion

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
A patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/REF20060263452.html

A composition and method for treating and controlling a skin disorder associated with acne vulgaris, androgenetic alopecia, seborrheic dermatitis, atopic eczema, psoriasis, pseudofolliculitis barbae uses odorants in a pharmaceutically suitable carrier. The odorants can be essential oils, such as eucalyptol, camphor white oil, menthol, and thymol and also contain one or more phenols. The composition also has antioxidants A and E or derivatives thereof mixed with water.

I don't know what they believe is the active ingredient though...

Another one:

http://www.google.nl/patents?hair loss=nl&lr=& ... BAJ&oi=fnd
Cosmetic formulations for the prevention and therapy of hair loss

1. Hydroalcoholic mixture of beta-pinene, camphene, beta-myrcene, limonene, cineole (1,8-epoxy-p -methane), camphor, linalol, bornyl acetate, isobornyl acetate, menthol, terpinen-ol, isoborneol monoterpens, having a chromatogram as shown in the Figure.

7. Process for the preparation of the mixture of claim 1, which comprises the steps of:

a) steeping in 70% ethanol one or more parts selected from the group consisting of roots, rhizomes, leaves, bark and seeds from Curcuma zedoaria, Myristica fragrans, Cinnamonum cassia, Eugenia aromatics, Acorus calamus, Zingiber officinalis, Alpinia officinarum, Ferula galbaniflua, Liquidambar orientalis, Aloe vera, Cannarium commune, Commiphora molmol, Arnica montana, Rosmarinus officinalis, together with terpentine oil, for two days with stirring at room temperature;
b) distilling the product of step a) at 40.degree. C. at room pressure; and
c) diluting the distillate of step b) with water and removing the insoluble oleous residue.

Pine oils seem to be popular...

brian123

Reaction score
how can one be POSITIVE that when applying a topical which stimulates hair on bodypart OTHER than scalp, can we be certain its not gaining its effect through androgen stimulation (in some way)??

brian123

Reaction score
regarding peppermint oil. its been a staple of many topicals of mine for aprox 6 months, ever since FRED on hairsite posted its caspase 3 inhibiting effects. Fred stated also that LEMON OIL and JUNIPER also had this effect also. thanks mr barry though for confirming its antiandrogenic effects. I had my suspicions when i found out out that spearmint study. but since ive been using it for caspase its nice to know that also.
been using lavender for just over half that time for its anti mast cell properties. mast cells are at the root of that terrible itch that you get through inflammation . ive found that it surpasses tea tree oil. my partner now uses it when she gets skin rashes (dilutes it heavily) and sprays it on her skin. stops itching for days just from a good application.

barry like to ask you how can one be sure that spraying something that stimulates hair growth on part of body OTHER than scalp can be guarranteed NOT to be andriogenic in nature.

michael barry

Reaction score
brian asked:

barry like to ask you how can one be sure that spraying something that stimulates hair growth on part of body OTHER than scalp can be guarranteed NOT to be andriogenic in nature

Ive run alot of little self tests on my body hair (Im hairy) in the past, and two have suprised me because the effects were the opposite of what I expected.

The two were nizoral shampoo and lavendar. I washed one wrist in nizoral, let it stay on for about one minute before rinsing, for about three months when I showered. Results? The wrist hair got a little longer and darker...........which was completely contrary to my expectations.

The second suprising topical was lavendar oil. I put it on the hair on my right big toe. I expected less hair. I got hair that was longer and darker than the other toe in about three months.

Something in ketoconazole and something about lavendar might be stimulating to hair follicles. Estrogen supposedly hair a role in the hair cycle, and perhaps lavendar might mimic it to an extent, but then again it might simply be a stimulant or a anti-infalmmatory or it may help inhibit some negative growth factor secreted by the papilla. I really dont know. What I do know is that lavendar is in alot of the old "essential oil" hair growth remedies from the past. I used to laugh at these things, but ever since becoming aware of beta sitosterol, and consequently finding out beta sis is in revivogen and its highest concentration is in pine or cedarwood oil---an essential oil in alot of old hairloss remedies-----I started looking into these substances. Ive since found out that rosemary is a good anti-inflammatory, pine oil (beta sis) is anti-androgenic, lavendar oil stimulates hair in "some unknown" way, and that thyme and sage keep showing up in shampoos from companines like American Crew and Paul Mitchell that I respect. Maybe these things will be found to up pro-growth factors or help inhibit anti-growth factors secreted by the papilla, or fight oxidization (rosemary) or supress immuno responses, but thousands of years of human experimentaion might have yielded some fruit that I was heretofore willing to overlook.

You know these essential oil blends were written off by science basically based on hair transplant infomercials in the seventies and eighties. We were told by authoritative-sounding narrarators that there was "nothing unitl now that can be done about hair baldness", and that all other remedies were bunk and snake oil. Damn near, of course, were bunk and snake oil................but there might have been something to the remedies from the natural oils that anyone could obtain for almost nothing from plants.

My goal all along has been to find something to "add" to my finasteride and prox-n. I think I might have found it in peppermint oil (although licorice might be even stronger). Other than that................Im waiting on cloning pretty anxiously at this point.

Intercytex may have something in the next couple of weeks. They are actually paying for the next ISHRS convention in Los Vegas, so they may really have had some nice experimental results to share (and I hope they do).

Back to the anti-androgens.....................We know free form GLA, ALA, and other fatty acids can be anti-androgenic, but its expensive and beyond kitchen sink chemistry to obtain them. Ive long thought, that out of all the natural chemicals of all the plants in nature, surely one will have an affinity for the androgen receptor and surely more than one will be a good chemical fit to bind-with the alpha five reductase enzyme in such a way as to inhibit it from reacting with testosterone. In truth, there are probably more than one..................peppermint, licorice, clove, perhaps spearmint, rose hips, variouis flower, perhaps some compounds in various tea leaves, and who knows how many more weeds out there in exotic places we dont know about........................Nature is virtually full of exotic chemcals in the forrests and jungles. Thats where so many pharmaceuticals actually come from. Compounds within natural chemicals are isolated and patented, and sold. Blueberries for instance, are probably the healthiest fruit one can eat (and thats very healthy indeed), they have alot of super chemicals and anti-oxidants within them.............Ive no doubt companies will be looking to break these down into individual chemicals that the can recreate in the lab, test, and patent for various ailments. It would be just as good to eat the damned blueberries though........................

Hope everybody has a great weekend chasin' the babes.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Michael Barry,

Is there any reason why you chose peppmint oil over say, Pine Oil which also has anti-androgenic properities?

Or have you ever thog ofinge 2 in the same solution?

michael barry

Reaction score
Peppermint oil was shown to inhibit alpha five reductase and reduce sebum secretions........................
I also think something in the oil or extract might have a relationship with the androgen receptor or either be able to bind with testosterone. When I put it on one side of my chin, I was and still am, on finasteride. Mere "extra" DHT inhibition should not have weakened whisker growth by as much as it did............

Pine oil is 10-18% beta sitosterol. Im pretty sure beta sis can sit on an androgen receptor, but dont think it inhibits alpha five reductase. Pine oil is very "oily" also, and it doesn't mix well with any kind of water. It can be put with grapeseed oir avacado or perhaps jojoba as a "carrier" oil for it. But its "oily" and it really is "pine"-smelling stuff. Peppermint is a volatile oil and is very strong. About one ounce can be diluted in 40-50 ounces of purifed water......................and you have an effective topical with a slightly pleasant smell.

riptiduh

Reaction score
Sorry to ask the question again Michael, but how many times a day to you use it? I recently made my own concoction with 1 part peppermint to 40-50 parts water. I also added 2 or 3 parts jojoba oil to that, although it does float on top, probably along with the peppermint, a nice shake before I spray works nicely. I am hoping the jojoba was OK to add seeing how it is such a great carrier into human skin.

I started using it last Wednesday. I don't want to sound unbelievably optimistic, but since I started a week ago, I can already see a more healthy look and shine to my hair. Given this will take months (just as nizoral/minoxidil/finasteride/prox-n did) to show any results, I am pleased with the overall "look" I am receiving just by last week.

Been on the big 4 for coming up on 2 years now so I have seen the ups and downs of the treatments.

Thanks again for this little addition, I really hope it fills in the "bald" spots that the big 4 are closely achieving.

E=mc2

Reaction score
Hey Michael...

First off...I just want to thank you not only for all the time you put into digging up these little gems of research but for your clear and direct explanations and analyses of these studies. I always gravitate toward your posts and I really appreciate your contributions and the extra work that goes into them.

Second...I was considering this for a while...but the information and study you have provided as well as my own research have motivated me to go ahead with my plans to “home brew†my own conditioner. Currently I use Nizoral 1% daily. I am making a conditioner to follow that up which will contain:

1) Emu oil
2) Peppermint essential oil
3) Green Tea essential oil
4) Licorice essential oil
5) Rose Hip essential oil

I have all the components and am just deciding on a cream base component so I can control consistency. There are a few products out there already that have many of these components...but this way I control and optimize the quantity of each oil and know the product is fresh and no breakdown of the essential oil has occurred. I also want to keep it both simple, focused and concentrated. The cream base I think I am going to use also contains alcohol which will also assist in dermal penetration among other things, although the Emu Oil will see to that quite effectively on its own.

Additionally, I am making a simple after-shower Peppermint spray as you suggested. Mine will also contain a percentage of alcohol as a third component to help emulsify the oil in the water as well as for its compound stabilizing and dermal penetrating qualities.

Also keep in mind that Essential Oils break down in UV light (that’s why they come in a dark tinted container) so it is a good idea to make sure your spray bottle is also either tinted dark or is opaque. Also keep in mind essential oils react with many metals…so if it is a metal container it needs to be stainless steel. Opaque glass is the best choice followed by a non-porous opaque plastic. This will ensure shelf life. Don’t refrigerate your mixture but keep in a dark cool place such as in the bathroom sink cabinet.

When I decide the final the formula and test it I will report back here and let everyone know what I decided on as far as final mixture and ratios. I'm still finishing up my research on the essential oil characteristics so it'll be a few days before I mix it up. In the end, this will be an extremely effective way to deliver these components sub dermal and see what effect, if any, occurs over the next 6 months or so.

I've been on minoxidil and dutasteride for almost year now and although good results have emerged, my progress has begun to slow as of late. So although this "experiment" will not be in isolation as far as treatment components, I hope to be able to gauge and detect its effect if any noticeable one emerges. At best it will make an effective added component…at worst I will have a pretty kick *** Emu oil based conditioner and my scalp will be in great shape…so 1 can’t really lose here.

Thanks again Michael and please keep us updated on your progress…

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, my bet after years of investigation is:

Oropelum:
Ingredients Hair Tonic: Jojoba esters, Limanthes alba, Borago officinalis, Rosa moschata, Oenothera biennis, Persea gratísima, Serenoa serrulata, Butyruspermun parkii, Rosmarinun officinalis, Lavandula officinalis, Melaleuca alternifolia, Origanum vulgaris, Thymus vulgaris, Laurus nobilis, Anthemis nobilis, Ocimun basilicum, Salvia officinalis, Mentha piperita, Foeniculum vulgare, Citrus limonun, Carum petroselinum, Eugenia caryophyllus

Armando

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oropelum:
Ingredients Shampoo: Aqua, Sodium laureth sulfate, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Aloe barbadensis, Spirulina máxima, Vitis vinifera, Rosmarinus officinalis, Thymus vulgaris, Laurdimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed wheat protein, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, Guar hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, Octyl methoxycinnamate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone, Citric acid, Sodium chloride, EDTA.

And the better opaque glass for essential oils is violet.

Armando

michael barry

Reaction score
Ive been using the peppermint after the shower once a day. Twice would be my max personally.

ON the homemade topical.................the green tea might not be necessary if one is using licorice, peppermint, rose hips..................I mean that is alot of anti-androgenic stuff right there, plus ECGC (in green tea) inhibits angiogenesis (new blood vessel formation).

Armando's product apparently has mint leaves as 'mentha piperta' is just that, as well as jojoba, lavendar, thyme, rosemary, lemon extract, lime extract, rosemary, ......................and what appears to be the latin names for other essential-type oils. Its probably actually pretty good, even though I thouroghly disagree with Armandos contention about sebum's role in androgenic alopecia.

E=mc2

Reaction score
michael barry said:
Ive been using the peppermint after the shower once a day. Twice would be my max personally.

Agreed...absolutely, I'm not trying to over do the anti-androgen component at all...but since effective absorption is one of the unknown factors faced here I thought I'd attempt two different delivery methods. I also like the feel of the peppermint "tingle" on the scalp so for purely that reason alone I thought I'd do the spray as an additional application. I really plan on using the spray before bed as opposed to after the shower. So it's a spread out application schedule really.

michael barry said:
ON the homemade topical.................the green tea might not be necessary if one is using licorice, peppermint, rose hips..................I mean that is a lot of anti-androgenic stuff right there, plus ECGC (in green tea) inhibits angiogenesis (new blood vessel formation).

hummm....I was aware about ECGC's cancer preventative properties but didn't go so far as to think about its direct role in inhibition of angiogenesis...but it makes total sense considering Green Tea's role in reducing tumor sizes. Good point considering this particular quality has clear potential in being counter productive to the end goal. Thanks for pointing that out Michael...

michael barry said:
Armando's product apparently has mint leaves as 'mentha piperta' is just that, as well as jojoba, lavender, thyme, rosemary, lemon extract, lime extract, rosemary, ......................and what appears to be the latin names for other essential-type oils. Its probably actually pretty good, even though I thoroughly disagree with Armandos contention about sebum's role in androgenic alopecia.

Yeah...it does look like a good product. This is more of a fun diversion for me than anything else. There are quite a few products, including some esoteric conditioners, that look pretty amazingly right on as far as components and essential oils. I just wanted to try this once and see how it came out. I've read Armandos theory on the sebum/alopecia connection and I, too, simply don't find it compelling. I still enjoy reading his and (most) other's ideas....keeps me thinking and openminded. Thanks for the input Michael...

aussiedavid

Reaction score
I'm going to give the peppermint thing a go as well. I have bought some 'peppermint hydrosole' from an essential oils shop and added some clove oil (1%). I've added the clove oil because I read it's good for grey hair.

Is it ok to apply the peppermint solution to the 'permanent' hair on the side of my head, or will this hair fall out in the same way that facial hair will fall out? The reason I want to apply the solution to the hair on the side of my head (as well as the top) is because that's where i'm grey. Where does the facial hair end and the head hair begin? How can the peppermint have such a different effect on areas of hair directly adjacent to each other? Also, when I apply the peppermint hydrosole, my scalp goes red for about 5 mins and stings a bit. The redness clears and the stinging goes away, but I'm wondering if the mix is too strong?

michael barry

Reaction score
Head hair requires no androgens (male hormones) to grow at all. The hair on the side of the head has less androgen receptors and less alpha five reductase activity in the outer root sheath (where the alpha five reductase enzyme resides in head hair) than hair on the top of the head.

If the sting is really painful, you probably have a bit too strong of a mix up there. The clove might really be helpful based on the experimental results at the beginning of the thread. The authors of that study seem to indicate that licorice might be the most anti-androgenic of all, but licorice also might have a rather potent smell............

I think the peppermint, again, would be a good addition to finasteride and whatever growth stimulant one chooses as an extra anti-androgenic "boost".

CCS

Reaction score
the word extract has many meanings.

fat soluble extract of a plant is called that plant's oil.
volitile fat soluble extract is called that plant's essential oil.
water soluble extract is often just called extract.
then there is ethanol extract too.

I don't think those studies used oils. they said extract. But what kind of extract?

That EGCG angiosenthesis thing makes me want to just use it on my face and neck.

I'm still using applepoly as a growth stimulant, and curcumin as a 5ar1 inhibitor, and thinking of using licorice. I'd probably use the licorice only once a day.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
50oz is alot of solution.

Where are you guys stroing this stuff?

And my hair is too long for a spray bottle, and I cant imagine anything other than a buzz cut being suitable for a "spray on" application.

How many drops of peppermint Oil would you add to say a 60ml bottle of distilled water to get the same effect?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blaze wrote:
How many drops of peppermint Oil would you add to say a 60ml bottle of distilled water to get the same effect?

1 ml aprox 25 drops.

The essential oils are strong products, and they can be used only with moderation.
A oil carrier is used to dilute them.
between 3 and 10 per cent is oK, even in certains cases more less.

An example from Aromatherapy blends & remedies of Franzesca Watson
To stimulate hair growth
rosemary 10 drops
bay 8 drops
cedarwood 7 drops
To 50 ml of jojoba oil

Armando

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS: Do you think it would be safe to add some of the peppermint oil to a bottle of folligen lotion? Or could it cause any unwanted reactions in the solution? (I know tricomin already has menthol in it that's why I thought this might work)

CCS

Reaction score
I heard that CP's are most stable at neutral pH. I don't know what the oil would do to the pH. If it is truly an oil (triglyceride) I don't think it would change it at all. But I don't think much would dissolve in the folligen either.

Good way to check: put folligen in too clear cups small enough that the folligen is see through. Add some oil to one of them. See if anything changes in a few days.

CCS

Reaction score
brian123 said:
how can one be POSITIVE that when applying a topical which stimulates hair on bodypart OTHER than scalp, can we be certain its not gaining its effect through androgen stimulation (in some way)??

my worry exactly. I think proctor's phenytoin has that problem. But Bryan says we must have faith in Proctor because of his years of experience, of which there is no evidence.