Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

Avacfc

Reaction score
Been on cet 1ml morning and night now for about 2 and a half months with promising results.
Although i noticed the other day i had im having a flare up of gyno again, the sort i was getting when i was on finasteride.
Do you think cet could be causing this?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone post some photographic proof? I don't believe this actually works, sorry.

fastinjun

Reaction score
Im still trying to get a decent camera otherwise I will buy one end of this week..
Some of the hairs that are growing are now more dark, more visible without me using my glasses to see myself in the mirror lol..but there are hairs growing up front where none have been in years..

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
You really don't need a great camera for this as long as you use good lighting. Take some pictures in natural light, and even the worst camera will make some good pictures.

fastinjun

Reaction score
I tried with my camera phone but maybe you are right, need better lighting...I'll try that when I get home. As far as before pics I have none..I didnt think I'd get any results with this so I didnt take any photos before. Im a little over the 2 month mark and there are little hair growing in front, I cant tell from the back of course but I assume there is as well. There has been a big reduction in the amount of hair falling out as well which Im happy about. I'll keep at it as long as I see results...

tedlin01

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously guys, I have been using this over a month now and I see no difference.
I even talked to a dermatologist who said it's very unlikely that water will work as a carrier.

Is there any science behind this treatment at all!?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seriously guys, I have been using this over a month now and I see no difference.
I even talked to a dermatologist who said it's very unlikely that water will work as a carrier.

Is there any science behind this treatment at all!?

Do you have any allergies?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, sorry for the off-topic, but does any of you think indomethacin cream could work. It inhibits prostaglandins (all of them, the goods and the bad). But perhaps you could enhance the pge through minoxidil. Well I don't know, I'm just saying.

Also, here is a photo of a guy who has been on finasteride and indomethacin for 5 months.

Yeah, I know it's not the same angle, and I know that in the second photo he is combed to hide his loss, an yes, there is no way to tell if the indometachin cream is doing anything at all, as he is also on finasteride, but what do you think...?

the after photos definitely look better. I doubt just combing would have that much of a difference

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
so I tried taking some post-cetirizine pics today and compared them with some before pics. I've been on cetirizine for about 5 weeks and honestly I can't see a difference between the before and after pics. I'm guessing the progress was all in my head. I found this online: "And a Merck spokesperson told the news service that the company hasn't seen clinical evidence that its drug, called laropiprant, prevents baldness." By the way, laropiprant is a potent prostaglandin d2 inhibitor. As I stated earlier in the forum, both of my brothers have no allergies whatsoever and are almost fully bald. As we know, prostaglandin d2 is responsible for numerous allergies including asthma. If you think about, its been almost a year since the discovery that prostaglandin d2 correlates with hairloss. It is not a random coincidence that giants like merck haven't researched this link. At this point, I'm going to abandon the cetirizine/water combination and look for treatments that have some clinical evidence.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
so I tried taking some post-cetirizine pics today and compared them with some before pics. I've been on cetirizine for about 5 weeks and honestly I can't see a difference between the before and after pics. I'm guessing the progress was all in my head. I found this online: "And a Merck spokesperson told the news service that the company hasn't seen clinical evidence that its drug, called laropiprant, prevents baldness." By the way, laropiprant is a potent prostaglandin d2 inhibitor. As I stated earlier in the forum, both of my brothers have no allergies whatsoever and are almost fully bald. As we know, prostaglandin d2 is responsible for numerous allergies including asthma. If you think about, its been almost a year since the discovery that prostaglandin d2 correlates with hairloss. It is not a random coincidence that giants like merck haven't researched this link. At this point, I'm going to abandon the cetirizine/water combination and look for treatments that have some clinical evidence.

Ok mate, good luck with that. I'm not sure 5 weeks is much of a fair shake to be honest, but to each his own. I'm happy with Cet so far, so I'll be sticking with it for sure.

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with Cet too.
You guys are abandoning ship ridiculously early and not giving yourself a reasonable amount of time to allow Cet to work for you.
Leaving after 4-5 weeks? Why bother to start a program if thats all the patience you have.

There's a reason other products like Rogaine or Propecia say it can take 6 to 8 months to even see evidence that it might work for you.

rjmogka

Reaction score
I'm sticking with Cet too.
You guys are abandoning ship ridiculously early and not giving yourself a reasonable amount of time to allow Cet to work for you.
Leaving after 4-5 weeks? Why bother to start a program if thats all the patience you have.

There's a reason other products like Rogaine or Propecia say it can take 6 to 8 months to even see evidence that it might work for you.

I just thought exactly the same. If for Propecia or Rogaine it takes sometimes a year to work, then why
should it be different with Cetirizine? it shouldn't I guess.
Or, you know, it won't work even after 10 years, there's always that option.
Well then, Now I'm starting this, going to make it today with water, and we'll see.
Btw if I were you people I would think to myself "Who the hell cares? who are you??"
cuz this is what I thought of every member in this topic with weird name and 4 messages.

Anyway I'm on this forum since 2010, of course it's still young, but I got nothing to sell here of course,
taking pictures today and not even going to talk without pictures next month.

I'll keep you updated. Ohh and I started losing hair 3 years ago at 18, so I'm hopeful some of the dead zone can wake up.

Avacfc

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just a quick one to warn you i have been on cet for about 2 months now.
I visited my doctors yday who confirmed my gyno is growing again.
I asked him about cetirizine and he explained long term usage can cause prolactin to rise. This do show it is being absorbed into the blood so i am going to try halfing my dosage.

nograde

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just a quick one to warn you i have been on cet for about 2 months now.
I visited my doctors yday who confirmed my gyno is growing again.
I asked him about cetirizine and he explained long term usage can cause prolactin to rise. This do show it is being absorbed into the blood so i am going to try halfing my dosage.

I've never heard of that. I tried to find any Cetirizine <=> Prolactin Connection for about an hour now. No mention about that anywhere especially not on pubmed. Do you have any references?

H2 receptor antagonists (used to inhibit gastric secretion) are known to do that, e.g. Cimetidine is known to raise prolactin. Cetirizine on the other hand is a highly selective H1 receptor antagonist and shows no such effects. Maybe your doctor mixed something up here...

EDIT: However on the other hand: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15199686 (Two cases of gynaecomastia with cetirizine, a second-generation antihistamine.). Representative? Prolactin connected? I'm not so sure ....

cuprous

Reaction score

EDIT: However on the other hand: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15199686 (Two cases of gynaecomastia with cetirizine, a second-generation antihistamine.). Representative? Prolactin connected? I'm not so sure ....

Interesting find. It appears in both cases things returned to normal after cessation. Still, for the millions (?) of cetirizine pills that are taken daily around the world you'd think even 0.5% causality would be big news. Also worth noting that these kids were taking 10 and 5mg pills which would presumably result in a serum level 2-3x that of an adult taking 10mg.

The systemic absorption thing is still a question mark though. The Pfizer rabbit study used liposomal formulations. In reading the study it seams like they were trying to minimize systemic absorption while maximizing dermal effects. Who knows. Too bad this page http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/skin/skinpermcalc.html doesn't recognize cet's CAS number.

curiosity_cat

Reaction score
Been following this thread for while now. Has anyone heard from casperz of late? Also, that study with CET+gynecomastia is kinda disconcerting.

nograde

Reaction score
Been following this thread for while now. Has anyone heard from casperz of late? Also, that study with CET+gynecomastia is kinda disconcerting.

Please remember that Cetirizine is one of the best studied drugs out there. The gyno described in the "case"-study was found in children who used adult-equivalent doses. There are rigorous double blinded studies with literally hundreds of children involved, observed for several months/years. I think only slightest evidence for gyno as a side-effect would've resulted in the immediate ban for the use in children. However CET as of today is readily prescribed for even 1-year olds. Also note that children are the most susceptible to hormonal shifts, there are even reports of Lavender-shampoo causing gyno in children :woot: