Why hair is like clothes.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
iwantperfection said:
washing hair has nothing to do with hairloss. nothing. anyone that thinks it does is a quack.

A guy should wash his hair everyday just like his body purely for the reason to keep clean. Only reason women dont is one, because they dont have time to dry it in the morning and two, it makes long hair frizzy.

I wash my hair everyday and have done so all my life.

If your losing hair its genetic, end of story.

I'm not going to argue with hairloss being genetic, that seems to be proven definitively.
I have heard from many, many people that it is not a good idea to wash your hair everyday. Not because it will cause hair loss, but it will cause drying of the hair and scalp. I've heard from everyone who's ever cut my hair that the best plan is to wash your hair between 3 and 5 times a week.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Some people never wash their hair at all.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Washing hair every day is an overkill, especially if one's using harsh shampoo with harsh ingredients. The hair will stay clean and oil-free for longer if you keep off-days from drying shampooing and eat healthy. If you keep drying your scalp with shampoo very often, the scalp starts producing more oil which only results in increased need of shampooing. It's a vicious circle. It's been proven that the all-around need for ultra-cleanliness (+unhealthy western diet full of empty carbs) we have today has resulted in more allergies, genetic skin "conditions" and sh*t like that. If only I wasn't using rogaine foam I would wash my hair maybe once in 3 days. Now I have to wash the stuff off every day just to make sure it doesn't clog the pores. Thankfully I've found a good gentle shampoo that doesn't dry my skin out too much.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
If only I wasn't using rogaine foam I would wash my hair maybe once in 3 days. Now I have to wash the stuff off every day just to make sure it doesn't clog the pores.

Does anyone else do this? I never thought about Rogaine blocking pores. I wash my hair twice a week with nizoral (Monday & Friday). I sometimes rinse my hair with cold water midweek. Other than that, not much else.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
ghg said:
If only I wasn't using rogaine foam I would wash my hair maybe once in 3 days. Now I have to wash the stuff off every day just to make sure it doesn't clog the pores.

Does anyone else do this? I never thought about Rogaine blocking pores. I wash my hair twice a week with nizoral (Monday & Friday). I sometimes rinse my hair with cold water midweek. Other than that, not much else.

Thats the first mention of it i've heard. I guess possible though with minoxidil's propanol glycol keeping it plastered on your scalp. I wouldn't worry about it If your using nizoral. Its proven to reduce sebum an unclog pores.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
I try not to wash my hair too much. For starters, I only shower once every other day maximum. I rarely ever use any shampoo or anything at the moment, and I am finding my hair to be nicer than it has been in a while. It doesnt get too greasy, not too dry. Now and then Ill wash it with shampoo, but Ill only use natural plant based stuff, only if ithas become very greasy. I have heard and can also testify, that the less you wash your hair and even body, the more your body adapts to not get so dirty and smelly so quickly. If your body is used to daily showers and daily use of shampoo/shower gel, then it wil rely on these methods to become clean. If you shower less frequently, your body seems to be able to go longer with out smelling etc. I just dont feel the need to shower all the time. My body feels relativly clean for a while. Having said all this, diet is a massive factor in this. Meat eaters and those who drink alcohol and other crap, sugar, junk food etc, a lot, will smell more than those who have a healthier diet..

Before, I used to wash my hair with shampoo a lot. It was one of those things that was so ingrained into my everyday life, that I didnt really realize that it may have possible negative effects on my hair. It was just standard procedure. However when you really think about it, rubbing all that lotion on your hair all the time is really not a good idea. Shampoo removes all the natural grease from your hair and probably removes other minerals and so on from your hair. Most shampoos are in essence a light type of bleach. I would suggest washing hair with shampoo no more than once a week, but thats just me. I have taken the route of just giving my hair less stress and hassle. I keep it short, and wash it with water now and then, but other than that, nothing. I see my hair almost like prized china or something. I dont go around making sure it never gets touched, but I do what I can to pretty much leave it be.

When having showers I like to end it with a short cold burst for a few mins or two. It can take a while for your body to adjust to ( I would recommend people take it easy if they havnt had cold showers before or for a while). Anyway, cold showers are really good for health, and also for hair. The cold water makes blood rush to the skin overthe body and of course to the scalp. I usually find my hair has a nice healthy glow after a cold shower that you dont really get from warm showers. I might even so as far to say that warm showers are probably bad for hair, especially too frequent warm showers. My basic idea is that, anything man made, western, mechanical, convienent, and luxuroius are probably going to be bad for your hair. I try to live simply. And for me that means not using chemical crap when it comes to diet and shampoo etc, and taking general lifestyle choices that distance me from that of a chaotic westerners. Its a stressful life lived out of balance.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Clean meat can not be compared to junk food, it is actually quite healthy. Healthier than carbs in any form... except veggies. Butter, olive oil and eggs are also good sources for fat and protein.