Why hair is like clothes.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
elvis123 said:
Hey UM i have a question for you

When you still had a bit of hair, did you wash your hair alot or did you avoid washing hair because you were afraid constant washing would result in more hairloss?
If I excessively washed it or completely neglected it it wouldn't have made any difference. See I was born with the male pattern baldness gene and the only thing I could have done to prevent it or postpone it would have been to get on the big 3 at the first signs...but that ship has already sailed. You should know better than to believe those old wives tales btw.

Actually I think that hair washing does have a different in the rate you loose your hair. Some people start losing hair and are scared to loose more so they stop washing hair which in turn may lead to more DHT buildup. Or some people wash their hair so much with harsh shampoos which in turn accelerates the hairloss process. So what was your situation. If i had to guess I would think that you were someone who didn't wash their hair alot.

s.a.f

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
uncomfortable man said:
elvis123 said:
Hey UM i have a question for you

When you still had a bit of hair, did you wash your hair alot or did you avoid washing hair because you were afraid constant washing would result in more hairloss?
If I excessively washed it or completely neglected it it wouldn't have made any difference. See I was born with the male pattern baldness gene and the only thing I could have done to prevent it or postpone it would have been to get on the big 3 at the first signs...but that ship has already sailed. You should know better than to believe those old wives tales btw.

Actually I think that hair washing does have a different in the rate you loose your hair. Some people start losing hair and are scared to loose more so they stop washing hair which in turn may lead to more DHT buildup. Or some people wash their hair so much with harsh shampoos which in turn accelerates the hairloss process. So what was your situation. If i had to guess I would think that you were someone who didn't wash their hair alot.

With all due respect you are talking bollocks here. As UC man said you should know better. It genetics that determine hairloss anything else even if taken to the extremes can at best only have a very tiny impact.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
iwantperfection said:
i never aid it would be easy. Course it would be hard. It is like a hat in the fact its hiding being bald but its different in that you appear tohave hair. You dont want to be known as beanie boy by poeple. I think im right in saying uman that its the lack of a frame around your face that bothers you most. You could get a real light density piece to give you a hairline but at the same time you would look thin on top allowing yourself excuses as to why you now have hair...'Oh i sorted my thyroid and some came back' ...or..'i used that stuff rogaine and it worked!'. Obvously if you go to a trhick nw2 peple are going to know. But then again maybe you dont give a sh*t. I dont know. For 200quid its worth a shot.

Am i right in saying your in a different state to your daughter? Alternatively you could move closer to her and move to a new city or town and start afresh with the piece. Only ideas...i know this stuff is a million times harder in real life.
Yes, technically it is the lack of a frame for my face that I have a problem with, but the social aspect to being bald is what makes me the most uncomfortable. I appreciate your input on the whole system issue and if more people felt that way about them, I would have been wearing by now. I also agree with you that I should just try it to see if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
About my daughter, I do live in the same state as her now, just in a neighboring city. I take turns going over there to visit and visa versa. It's working out fine, but I would rather be back with my ex and living under the same roof again as a family. This is my goal.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aw man i cant say exactly how you feel but i know that must be hard. My ex and i split due to college, being too far apart and sh*t it took me so long to get over her. Every girl just didnt seem to match up at all. I can say now altho cheesey it was real love. Sometimes when someone mentioned her name to me my stomach went in knots. It was crazy. Finally i got over her.. over year later. Thankfully it happened for me again with someone else. Women are serious work..if anything they keep us sharp.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, genetics do determine hairloss, but there are things you can do to slow down or speed up the process right? And what I was wondering is if shampoos can actually remove scalp DHT or if shampooing too much maybe harmful for the hair. For example, you are predestined to be bald by age 50 and you started balding at 30 but you were using nizoral, and if nizoral was helpful then you would probably add a few years until you became bald, or vice versa if shampoos don't help at all and you are constantly scrubbing your head hard and pulling out hairs, then you would be bald by 45...

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
elvis you talking BS. You think shampooing gently means less hair falls out? Plus if he was shampooing it probs was not with nizoral, not that nizoral would give you extra years anyways using it by itself. You my friend are tripin.

s.a.f

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
Yes, genetics do determine hairloss, but there are things you can do to slow down or speed up the process right?
Slow down? possibly, but only by using proven meds like finasteride/dutasteride.
Speed up? I dont really believe so, maybe if you were using steroids but not in an everyday lifestyle changes like shampooing wether its once a day or once a week I dont think its going to alter how your hairloss goes.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
elvis123 said:
Yes, genetics do determine hairloss, but there are things you can do to slow down or speed up the process right?
Slow down? possibly, but only by using proven meds like finasteride/dutasteride.
Speed up? I dont really believe so, maybe if you were using steroids but not in an everyday lifestyle changes like shampooing wether its once a day or once a week I dont think its going to alter how your hairloss goes.

Thats all I wanted to hear...

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
According to these to two sources there might be some truth in what elvis123 is saying.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Not_washing_hair_causes_hair_loss

http://www.top-hair-loss-remedy.com/hair-washing.html

Exactly my point....ya'll should read these posts. I find that when i wash my hair less more hair falls out and vice versa. Sometimes I wonder if i wash my hair too much will i go bald faster but it seems like I actually have thicker hair than before. I bet anything that people like UMan and Hatprisoner who didnt have access to this sort of information before thought that washing hair more would cause more hair loss and tended to avoid washing too much unknown to the fact that DHT was present and killing their follicles. I put myself in their shoes and asked myself the same question, if i didn't know about DHT and saw my hair falling out, would I wash more or less?

s.a.f

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Not_washing_hair_causes_hair_loss

http://www.top-hair-loss-remedy.com/hair-washing.html

Exactly my point....ya'll should read these posts. I find that when i wash my hair less more hair falls out and vice versa. Sometimes I wonder if i wash my hair too much will i go bald faster but it seems like I actually have thicker hair than before. I bet anything that people like UMan and Hatprisoner who didnt have access to this sort of information before thought that washing hair more would cause more hair loss and tended to avoid washing too much unknown to the fact that DHT was present and killing their follicles. I put myself in their shoes and asked myself the same question, if i didn't know about DHT and saw my hair falling out, would I wash more or less?

I would'nt put to much thought into these 2 theories, you'll find 1000's of different hairloss theories, (such as the wearing hats ect) but they are not substatiated enough to genuinly follow. I used to wash my hair about every 3/4 days and it still went quickly and I dont believe that washing it every say 2 days would have made any difference whatso ever.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Would'nt make any difference to m.p.b.
M.p.b happens below the surface from dht in the blood supplied to the follicles not above it.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I would'nt put to much thought into these 2 theories, you'll find 1000's of different hairloss theories, (such as the wearing hats ect) but they are not substatiated enough to genuinly follow. I used to wash my hair about every 3/4 days and it still went quickly and I dont believe that washing it every say 2 days would have made any difference whatso ever.

I did think this too, but considering these sources arent trying to sell anything i thought it was worth taking with a pinch of salt so to speak. Its true anyone can say anything over the internet but then i found this

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/1076280041580431?cookieSet=1&journalCode=act

Thats written by a guy with a phd in biology. He mentions that excess sebum can clog the follicles and choke them with dht, which in turn cause's malnutrition to the follicle, leading to further hairloss. Based on this report, washing your hair may be a good idea to prevent accelarated hairloss due to sebum clogging. However i dont think washing your hair frequently will save your hair if its going to go its going to go, but based on these findings it might help a little.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
The way I see it is you are basically marinating your hair follicles in DHT if you don't wash as much, you wash more often you are basically saving your hairs life for a few more years. The key is the wash then repeat haha

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
I agree to an extent, especially about looking 'cool'. There's this guy at uni who i've seen around campus a few times now, who always seems to be wearing really trendy clothes but unfortunately has very little hair (nw5 or so). I know it's a bit harsh, but that look just doesn't suit him.

I think that a bald head looks normal with cool clothes, but not thin hair, I no when my hairloss gets worse im gunna just shave it all of.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
heyitsthatguy, Did you mean to quote cruz or me? cruz wrote that and i quoted from him to direct a response.

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
heyitsthatguy, Did you mean to quote cruz or me? cruz wrote that and i quoted from him to direct a response.
I was quoting you, how you said that the guy from uni looked wierd in trendy clothes. I just saw a guy today who was completely bald and he looked good wearing the surfer type clothes.