Deadlock's Story - (21yo hair problems w/PICS. dutasteride & minoxidil)

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Deadlock's Story - (19/ hair problems w/PICS)

Small update, my hair has basically gone to sh*t since last month. It became very, very diffuse on top and it seems the hairline has receded more.

Also losing lots of hairs still. Never noticed anything in the shower or comb, now it's everywhere. Even in a helmet I would only wear for 5 minutes I would find several hairs.

Maybe I'll update with some pics later.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

^ Not hoping to have to go down that route yet, but it looks tempting in the situation I'm in now.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Pics.

It's so f*****g sad to see the top thinning like this cause with the little regrowth I had at the front, I could be around a NW2 again, now it looks like I'll be passing the NW3 area soon. This is really heartbreaking...

Also, in a week or so I will hit the one year mark for 5% minoxidil. Making it 18 months of usage in total (been using 2% since September 2009). Will my hair ever be "normal" again? Do I need more treatments or something..?

Please tell me what you think and suggest me to do... I cannot go for the buzz or short styles no mather what. It was made obvious to me I can only look half decent with long hair, so I'll lose the whole fight for my apperance if I cannot keep it long. That and my head is already huge as it is.

So yeah, I'm basically living my worst nightmare.

Attachments

• SPM_A1166.jpg
    SPM_A1166.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2,346
  • SPM_A1164.jpg
    SPM_A1164.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,846
  • SPM_A1178.jpg
    SPM_A1178.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,873
  • SPM_A1173.jpg
    SPM_A1173.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,366
  • SPM_A1157.jpg
    SPM_A1157.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,828
  • SPM_A1158.jpg
    SPM_A1158.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,859
  • SPM_A1181.jpg
    SPM_A1181.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,859

EffBalding

Reaction score

Sucks man. The top is not looking great. It still looks alright when it's dry like in that first picture in your last post. You should probably consider getting a hair cut where the top is shorter and more layered, you'll get more coverage. Right now your hair is being weighed down from the top showing scalp. Maybe get a cut similar to this pic below, it's an extreme example but just a suggestion to show how you should layer your hair on top to get more coverage.

Attachments

• RonnieRadke3-2.jpg
    RonnieRadke3-2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 292

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Although that's a pretty cool style, it's not for me I think. I really want to keep the lenght like this, and to me if I absolutely have to cut it (point is comming closer each day I'm affraid :( ) it'll feel like I've already lost the whole fight for my hair...

Hoppi

Reaction score

Aw dude I'm sorry to hear it's been a struggle recently.

I've heard of very good results with more regular use of an azole - perhaps you could consider using ketoconazole or miconazole daily all over as well as the minoxidil and stuff?

I've also heard a solid success story combining minoxidil with folligen and mega-tek every day, so perhaps those are possible additions.

What else erm.. I dunno about spironolactone and all that, I haven't used it for as long.

CB-03-01 is obviously probably a hair loss bombshell, so if you come across some extra cash man I say go for it. CB-03-01 plus minoxidil plus daily mico/keto should be the end of it. Folligen can be thrown in if you want to actually take the piss out of male pattern baldness rofl

But.. yeah.. hope that helped :)

Sorry if I get overly optimistic or if you've tried a lot of this stuff with limited success or whatever, I've got a habit of being bubbly/happy in case you haven't noticed already hehe ^^

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Well yeah basically it's nothing TOO bad, just... growing out your hair when your thinning (or used to be thinning, I dunno anymore) probably isn't always working out too great. Ah well, I can at least manage myself with hats for a little while.

Yes I've been using the azole products you named, but I'm on and off of them very often. Basically it's a pain getting Ketaconazol shampoo where I live (Europe) and Miconazol... I'm probably just too lazy for or whatever, but I suppose I should give them a better shot.

Thanks for the support at least :)

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Small update, more pics to come. All taken around the last few days.

Attachments

• SPM_A1520.jpg
    SPM_A1520.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • SPM_A1520.jpg
    SPM_A1520.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,089
  • SPM_A1525.jpg
    SPM_A1525.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,122
  • SPM_A1463.jpg
    SPM_A1463.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,122
  • SPM_A1465.jpg
    SPM_A1465.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • SPM_A1467.jpg
    SPM_A1467.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,092
  • SPM_A1479.jpg
    SPM_A1479.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,125

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Overall I can't say if I improved or if it has gotten worse over the last year... Can't make out if the hairs in front are regrowth or miniaturised hairs. Still hoping for the best, as I would hate to have to cut my hair...

Attachments

• SPM_A1481.jpg
    SPM_A1481.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,084
  • SPM_A1429.jpg
    SPM_A1429.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,083
  • SPM_A1424.jpg
    SPM_A1424.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • SPM_A1397.jpg
    SPM_A1397.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • SPM_A1492.jpg
    SPM_A1492.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,072

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score

you still have loads of hair bro,
as suggested why not get a stylist to style your hair (still longish) as previously mentioned,

i have had long hair since i was 9 (like yours) and last year had a well known London Stylist cut and style my hair, best thing i done..

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

It's not the hairstyle which is bothering me, it actually works quite good.. At times. But with just a little bit more in the front I'd be extremely happy, as I always had a very high forehead even as a kid so I'm used to it.

Also, I'd rather not risk taking a haircut right now as I'm normally horrible with styling my hair after it has been cut. I also need no styling products wearing my hair like I do now, and I like it that way. Sorry to be sounding so obstinate, I appriciate the comments and advice but I'd rather just not cut it differently.

How is your hair like Mashang? Are you experiencing any thinning at all?

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score

Deadlocks dont worry bro about being obstinate.
you sound exactly like me a year ago when my friends where telling me to get my hair styled... (just do what ever you feel comfortable with) :)

My hair.. i have not posted any pictures yet as i feel i have not gained any results from my 11 months on finasteride (7 of them were on 0.5mg)
however my close friends who know about my situation have commented that my hair is looking thicker, but to me i have have lost some ground on my temples, even though i am seeing thin new spouts of colours hair on my hairline,

also my crown looks the same as baseline, so my theory is that finasteride is renowned for Crown and Vertex, so if my crown has not seen any growth maybe it has not started to kick in yet,

i will remain on the meds up to the 2 year mark and see if any changes are noticeable,
i do take monthly photos so will post them at a stage where i think change would be noticed...

my current regime is 1mg finasteride every evening with 1ml Mix once or twice daily, (i have been on mix 18 months longer than finasteride, maybe that has something to do with lack of regrowth?) i am also using T-Gel once aweek... (any suggestions to use Nizoral over T-Gel ?)

thanks and good luck

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Another small update. Can't tell how my hair is doing, but I know that I'm actually still shedding hairs... Which by now makes it like 7 months of shedding. Hair is looking thinner than before, but might have some more regrowth around the temples... Then again, I feel like I've lost some ground there as well regarding thickness. Also, I've been experiencing lots and lots of dandruff lately.

Should I consider quitting Dutasteride and get back on finasteride?

Attachments

• SPM_A1677.jpg
    SPM_A1677.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,435
  • SPM_A1692.jpg
    SPM_A1692.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,414
  • SPM_A1693.jpg
    SPM_A1693.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • SPM_A1706.jpg
    SPM_A1706.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,405
  • SPM_A1699.jpg
    SPM_A1699.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,436
  • SPM_A1689.jpg
    SPM_A1689.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,408

Reibun

Reaction score

With long hair it is hard to tell if there is any gains or losses. That being said, I don't see any gains or losses, BUT that means it looks the same, and a stop in hairloss is a good thing in itself.
I would recommend cutting your hair shorter. Ugggh, I know it sucks. I myself have wore my hair long all my life, but with shorter hair it is easier to assess your growth or loss, apply topicals, and I honestly believe it will promote a healthier scalp.
Anyways stay with it. It is better to maintain your hair than to lose it.
Good luck with everything!

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm not going to cut it short. But yeah, I'll keep using the meds. But I do worry that I'm not fully recovering from the last months of shedding though...

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

All has not been well in the meanwhile...

There is a thinning spot right on the midscalp area which seems to imply I'm heading towards a Norwood 4 / 5. Hairline is also diffuse and thin as f***... And I have lots of sebum / dandruff going on. Seems to me that the last months of shedding where just progressed male pattern baldness instead of you know, the good kind of shedding.

I'm pretty devistated by this... It hasn't actually struck me that hard yet, but I know it will some of these days. It's summer, and I still wear a beanie all the time. And if my clippers didn't ran out of batteries I'd probably buzz my head right now. I thought I would never have to do that, you know.. taking Dutasteride supposidly the strongest oral anti androgen for hairloss and all but it seems my f*****g "genes" don't agree.

Here's some pics. The overall thickness of my hair is kind of misleading... I'm actually bald as f***. f*** this sh*t... a whole life full of desperation and misery is where I'm heading now...

Attachments

• SPM_A1694.jpg
    SPM_A1694.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • SPM_A1654.jpg
    SPM_A1654.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • SPM_A1931.jpg
    SPM_A1931.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • SPM_A1922.jpg
    SPM_A1922.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,071
  • SPM_A1929.jpg
    SPM_A1929.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • SPM_A1930.jpg
    SPM_A1930.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,076

weepysad

Reaction score

I feel for you, mate. I'm exactly in the same boat as you are. I'm 22-year-old and it appears that I'm heading towards Norwood 5. It is diffusely thinning all over the top and my hairline is even more screwed up than yours. I'm chewing finasteride, rubbing minoxidil on my head and trying to live a healthy life - nada! Ironically, my 10 years older brother, who couldn't care less about his appearance, has a full head of hair. The way we come to this earth is really a genetic lottery. :(

It's devastating both physically and mentally. Every day, every other moment I'm thinking about my hair. Life and the things that should be priorities do not matter. I have tried to forget about my hair and how it is rapidly thinning. Last summer I shaved my head to make an end to all of this. I looked ugly, I looked someone I could never accept myself to be. The knowledge that this is the direction I am heading no matter what I do is slowly killing me inside. I'm going to live a miserable life, alone. Who would want someone who can't even love himself? Hope is all I've got left, and it is slowly dying as well...

I can not help you - we are all kind of helpless. I'm just writing this to show that you are not alone. Try to be strong. Get yourself batteries, take the clipper and get rid of it all - maybe you are lucky enough to be able to start a new life. Be consistent with your drugs, sometimes we do not give them enough time or we expect too much. And please, do not pull and twist your hair like you do on your pics - it is never good.

Good luck, bro!

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

If it wasn't for hairloss I'd probably still be a depressed mofo, but this has killed all my hope for a happy future. Nothing in the world can safe me now so I feel. I'm pretty much destinied to live alone in misery and sin so I feel... It's killing all the strenght I had left, which was mostly based of hope... Hair was the only thing of myself I felt comfortable with, as pathetic as it sounds.

No mather what, this period of life will leave deep deep scars in my soul, probably never to heal again. Everywhere I go, people give me looks... Especially when showing my hair. People also don't guess me older, they automatically ASSUME I must be older than 20. My family thinks I'm weird to even up to the point that I feel my mother hates me and can't really find comfort anywhere. And that's mostly cause I'm too embarrassed to admit it to people, in fear of losing my face even more than I already did. Hairloss I feel is just a thing reflecting my inner shame and uglyness to the outside.

Thanks for the support though weepysad. Hope you will have succes as well. Though I've been on pretty serious treathment for a year, it seems it just won't work for me. Or I don't know what else it might be... All I know is that I'm losing strenght now, it wouldn't mater otherwise if I didn't you know... lose other sh*t in my life....

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score

Come on mate, grab a hold of your c*** and be a man! We know it is really hard, but at some point if the meds aren't working your gonna have to say 'well alright then, fck it'. Being bald doesnt physically stop you from doing fun things, maybe dating gets a little harder but I guess we can't all be movie stars and f*** around like rabbits. Surely being bald will make you somewhat less attractive (although this doesn't even have to be the case) being a no life miserable depressive boring f*** up will be a lot worse.

Anyways, aren't long hair wigs more practical? Sure it'll cost you some but if it's the only thing from being happy then why not give it a go? I'm pretty sure if you don't go to dense not alot people will notice.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

If I ever wanted to wear a hairpiece I'd probably have done so a year back. Would've been easier to "accept" the constant sheddings and applying minoxidil, but I didn't do it back then, so I won't do it now either.

Thing is that the front has improved quite a bit, but the rest of the hair (and especially the top) has gone to sh*t since last shedding (which lasted about 7 months, and has just recently began decreasing) making my past "succes" seem like nothing. It sucks, cause I have way too many problems in my life and this sh*t keeps me focussing back to my hair again every time.

Yesterday it just got the best of me, making me seem like a whining little b**ch. Luckily I feel better now but still, it doesn't make my hair better and I still fear baldness like nothing else...

I'm giving my regime at least another 6 months the chance. If my hairline keeps improving like it did before (still not too sure about this yet, as I see mostly thinning BEHIND the hairline now, making it somewhat thinner still) then surely my top and crown should improve in time to. Or at least I hope (and hopefully this hope won't turn against me again).

My new order of minoxidil should arrive within next week. Have been of from it from a while (3 weeks or so) cause it ran out and had financial problems. I'll just see what it does this time...