Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would this work on beards too? I have a small patch of gray that I'd like to remove and replace with pigmented hairs.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would this work on beards too? I have a small patch of gray that I'd like to remove and replace with pigmented hairs.

The future is now, man.

82e91679afae90751e0928568ddfcf9b.jpg

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"Kyocera, RIKEN and Organ Technologies are aiming for clinical research in Fiscal Year 2019 (Year ending March 31, 2019), with the goal to put the technologies into practical use in 2020."
How can this not be interpretted as the treatment being available in 2020?

Because we are interpreting their statement. I don't think any of us really know if "practical use by 2020" means commercialization, or for use in widespread trials. To me, it seems that their statement was a little vague, so that's what I'm taking from it. I really hope I'm wrong though

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because we are interpreting their statement. I don't think any of us really know if "practical use by 2020" means commercialization, or for use in widespread trials. To me, it seems that their statement was a little vague, so that's what I'm taking from it. I really hope I'm wrong though
They specified trials would be in 2019 and practical use in 2020. They differentiated between the two. What is "widespread" trials. I don't believe I've ever heard this term.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

"Practical" - of or concerned with the actual doing or use of something rather than with theory and ideas.

People, they said a bunch of times in that press release that the aim is to have it in practical use in 2020. There is no esoteric meaning here - they believe they can have it available then given their foreseeable situation of which only they are privy to the details. There is absolutely no reason the word "practical" would be used here if it was in reference to trials because that would be an obvious misuse of the adjective.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Practical use could be interpreted as commercial release, or human trials. Since they apparently intend to start trials in 2018, I assume practical use is commercial regular, but we'll have to wait to be certain.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Practical use could be interpreted as commercial release, or human trials. Since they apparently intend to start trials in 2018, I assume practical use is commercial regular, but we'll have to wait to be certain.
They said trials would be started before March of 2019 and then used practical use in the same sentence. They differentiated between the two.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Okay hopefully I'm wrong then. It's just a little hard to believe that the trials would be in 2019 and then the following year it's ready to use.

Anf yes widespread trials is some BS I just made up. I meant trials being performed in multiple clinics

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
They said trials would be started before March of 2019 and then used practical use in the same sentence. They differentiated between the two.

When did they say that? I remember Kyocera saying they would have the equipment ready to begin trials in 2018. Either way, even if it's spring of 2019 they could still make it available in 2020. If this works it will be obvious after a short trial, and they can apply for approval. Why do people think they need a decade of trials? This isn't America, and it's not a regular drug.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay hopefully I'm wrong then. It's just a little hard to believe that the trials would be in 2019 and then the following year it's ready to use.

Anf yes widespread trials is some BS I just made up. I meant trials being performed in multiple clinics

If anywhere it is possible, it's in o' glorious Nippon with a government-funded company. ;)

Your honesty is refreshing!

Indeed

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When did they say that? I remember Kyocera saying they would have the equipment ready to begin trials in 2018. Either way, even if it's spring of 2019 they could still make it available in 2020. If this works it will be obvious after a short trial, and they can apply for approval. Why do people think they need a decade of trials? This isn't America, and it's not a regular drug.
http://www.kyocera.eu/index/news/ne...ZGljYWxfdHJlYXRtZW50X2Zvcl9oYWlyX2xvc3M~.html

It's in the final paragraph.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Since they only specify the start date as the year preceeding April 2019 then I would assume that 2018 still holds as the target.
I believe I read that Kyocera will have the equipment ready by 2018. I think the 2019 deadline is for RIKEN and Organ Technologies to initiate the trial process. A lot of people in the thread seem to misunderstand the individual roles that each company will be playing in this treatment. RIKEN and OT will simply be creating the process and making sure it works. Kyocera is the only company that will be handling this method after clinical trials have been completed. To have the treatment, you will go to your local clinic(hair transplant clinic?) and get a biopsy from the back of your head. The biopsy will be sent to Kyocera's cell processing facility, where it will be cultured and multiplied. Then the organ germs will be sent back the the clinic, where it will be auto-grafted back onto your scalp. Kyocera is essentially the ultimate authority on the timeline of this product. I strongly doubt that they're being left in the dark here.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think the "widespread" you are referring to are women's legs when we all return to NW0 after using this treatment

yep78

Reaction score
Kyocera launched a joint research to develop a regenerative medical treatment for hair loss, targeting practical use in 2020
08 August 2016

The partnership aims to develop technologies and products for treating hair loss by regenerating hair follicles. Because no existing treatment can increase the number of hair follicles, any viable method of regenerating hair follicles has great potential to succeed.

The joint research works on a technology to collect stem cells from the patient’s own hair follicles, followed by the processing of these follicles and autografting on the same patient. For the treatment of androgenic alopecia (the most common type), a small number of hair follicles will be collected, from which stem cells will be isolated, cultured and amplified to produce hair follicle germ. The regenerated hair follicle germ will be packaged and delivered to a medical facility for use in transplantation therapy for the patient. The method furthermore allows control of the hair color by adding pigment stem cells, and the number of hair follicles regenerated.

Kyocera is responsible for technical aspects such as the development of cell processing devices. While various methods are under evaluation, Kyocera’s piezoelectric technology is of particular interest as a means of discharging small amounts of viscid cells in a precise manner during the cell processing process.

Kyocera is expanding its expertise in creating medical components for orthopedic joint replacement and dental implants to support this future application of regenerative medicine.

Kyocera, RIKEN and Organ Technologies are aiming for clinical research in Fiscal Year 2019 (Year ending March 31, 2019), with the goal to put the technologies into practical use in 2020.

Source:

http://www.kyocera.co.uk/index/news...ZGljYWxfdHJlYXRtZW50X2Zvcl9oYWlyX2xvc3M~.html

I honestly don't think they'd make the same mistake twice in saying that they plan to release this treatment in 2020. This was an update to the original press release (just happened 6 days ago, and has already been mentioned in here). It seems so surreal, but I honestly think they're gonna make this avaliable in 2020.